• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Discussion Thread: Lylat Cruise

Player-1

Smash Legend
I thought it'd be cool if we got a stage discussion going. I, personally, don't have trouble on any stage and I don't think Diddy has any 'bad' stages, but I'll start week 1 off with Rainbow Cruise since some Diddys still have trouble here.

So some things about the stage and tips:

The boat is probably your best place to be and where you should feel most comfortable. It's the closest thing to a neutral on this stage. I like to take advantage of the wall with dtilt locks, grab tech chases, and banana locks. The mini slopes are pretty good for side-b'ing because it makes it go off angle a little bit and is pretty good to catch your opponent offguard. I like to stay on the main part of the ship, off the platforms and the upper deck part just to take advantage of the wall, but if you get a peel or 2 with your opponent on there it's a free smash or two. I also like to popgun if the opponent is up there.

When you get off the ship, I like to stay to right and try and get the opprotunity to Uthrow stage spike people off those log things that fall if you stay on it, that or rocket barrel it under the magic carpet. Then I get onto the flat platfrom above it since it's flat until the pendulum arrives. The pendulum is kinda like a fast no platformed LC, and I like it because you can hit people who SH aerial on it since you go even with them when tited. After that, I try to be the first person to the wall after it spawns and camp the upper platform and Uthrow glide toss bananas. It's also cool when your opponent gets gimped because they slip on those falling log things. Afterwards it's decently flat with some platforms and slopes and the falling log things again, I also try to make the far right log fall if my opponent camps the wall below the stage while the stage is going back to the boat, and I'll take out my bananas while falling, then rinse and repeat =).

Rainbow Cruise: pages: 1-2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNFbsHmZ57I
Brinstar:2-3
Norfair-?

ADHD

Smash Hero
Diddy ***** on the ship. The only character I find impossible to beat on this stage is a good dedede... I just can't take that mofo, he just doesn't die and kills you ridiculously early in some parts, and has alot of **** he can do with his chaingrab here that really pisses me off. Ban it, it's better to face d3 on norfair and brinstar than RC...

DFEAR

Smash Hero
yea d3 ***** me here too and its not the chaingrabs i cant point my finger on it. probably the excessive amount of bairs/upairs >_<. anyway besides d3 mentioned i can take on most chars here if they were well off guarded and unprepared to face a diddy here. i would only choose this stage for purposes of mindgames and fooling around only. the ship is the best place to be at since as player 1 stated most related to a neautral stage. place a banana near the wall and hell lol free nanner lock or dtilt lock or slight jab>dtilt lock. just play smart here and match is urs

edit:
I think placing a picture and perhaps a matchup ratio would be nice i think diddy here is at a slight/normal disadvantage against characters with floaty jumps/more than 2 jumps

CrAzYdRuNk

Smash Cadet
Rainbow Cruise has always been a very hard stage for me to play on, because the bananas aren't as effective as they could be. If you have one sitting on a low platform you can't go get it, nor can you pull out a fresh one. Bleh. >_<

But, Diddy does play pretty well on RC, especially on the ship. I generally try to keep everything going up near the top of the stage, looking for a low percentage kill. Right after the ship leaves, I try to get up early, as I'll get punished if I try too late.

Esca

Smash Champion
I really think the only hard part about Rainbow cruise is the left part of the stage, when your rising, because you can't use bananas very well. Other than that, He does very good because of a low ceiling. I usually save my utilt to kill, because it kills around 80 on that stage.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I've never lost to a diddy here >_>.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I've never lost to a diddy here >_>.
Word. I'm not calling into question that you guys are great at this stage, but I can only count four or five times that I've ever won on this stage against anyone that's counter-picked this stage against me in tournament, up until I started actively banning this stage. I wish one of you guys would throw up a video of you ****** a D3 or a MK on this stage so I can marvel at your proficiency on (what I think to be) a bad Diddy stage. =)

Tachyon

Smash Cadet
Cedar Hill, Texas and Hawkins, Texas (college)
I can't play on moving stages like this. Ever. I couldn't do it in melee and I can't do it in this game. Whenever I play Brawl with my friends we have this stage banned from play because NOBODY in my area likes to play it. So I have little to no practice as Diddy on this stage. But seeing as how it's a counter-picked stage against Diddy a lot I'm sure I would suck and fail.

N4N3RZ

Smash Journeyman
This stage is ******** and shouldn't be legal, but I am most comfortable up top before it starts dropping back down to the boat.

I've beaten plenty of MKs and such here.

A nice trick/gimp to do is try and trip them up top before the the screen drops down to the boat, trip and grab or just grab them, jab a bit and either throw them where they can't fall through the stage or throw them up. easy gimp and i've done it before hahaha

Player-1

Smash Legend
I've never had trouble with D3 on this stage, but haven't played one here for a few months. I played a pretty good G&W who 2 stocked me here yesterday, but it was on wifi and we had red connection >.>, so not sure how on G&W Vs Diddy on this stage, but I'd imagine that GaW has a pretty big advantage here since it's...like...his best stage.

I'll also try to get a vid of me playing an MK or something here. Rainbow Crusise should be neutral

Pegachris

Smash Apprentice
Rainbow Crusise should be neutral
I hope this was a joke

and your posts start to get annoying after a while.

You claim to be able to destroy-
every character, every stage and be able to do/use every technique/move diddy has.

You must be the best diddy on earth:ohwell:

white peachy

Smash Ace
Yeah I don't mind the stage that much but it shouldn't be a neutral. I'm not even sure Lylat should be neutral but that's another argument entirely.

D3 is tough on RC. I'm not very good against meta here either.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I hope this was a joke

and your posts start to get annoying after a while.

You claim to be able to destroy-
every character, every stage and be able to do/use every technique/move diddy has.

You must be the best diddy on earth:ohwell:
...uuhhh...wut? lol? I have no idea what you're talking about...

Eidt: Rainbow Cruise For Neutral

SonicFire

Smash Apprentice
On RC I find myself playing cautiously. Less naner and dash attack use, but more grabbing and aerials.

The only two good G&W players I fought on RC with Diddy were Valdens and Motel Vacaville(Ame2). I barely lost to both of them, and against Ame2 where it came down to who got the last smash in on the last stock. My connection with him was green, with Valdens it was yellow but it was decent enough to play fairly well in.

Tilts, mostly Dtilt and shield grabbing are best if you're up close. The ship and when the screen is scrolling left after you pass the pendulum is where using the bananas is most effective, as G&W's smashes can all kill a mid-lightweight like Diddy early.

That's what I've learned from my experience on that stage. Haven't fought any D3s on there, unfortunately. Also, don't ban it, Norfair and Brinstar are much better candidates for that.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
not like rainbow cruise is a good diddy stage at all. to me its the most random cp i could of chosen against my opponent. i do this to heighten their sense of "wow why did this diddy choose this stage does he really want to lose" and thus lowers this guard or any other sense of smart play. if it works it usually ends in their downfall but if its someone who takes every stage seriously no matter the character then ugh gnna be a long fight O_<

Player-1

Smash Legend
not like rainbow cruise is a good diddy stage at all. to me its the most random cp i could of chosen against my opponent. i do this to heighten their sense of "wow why did this diddy choose this stage does he really want to lose" and thus lowers this guard or any other sense of smart play. if it works it usually ends in their downfall but if its someone who takes every stage seriously no matter the character then ugh gnna be a long fight O_<

To me it's not the matter of 'Does Diddy do bad/good here?' it's the matter of 'How big of an advantage/disadvantage does my opponent's character get here.'

Esca

Smash Champion
Well, player-1, if thats your concern, then Kirby, Metaknight, G&W, D3, and anyone else with a good recovery has an advantage on that stage. You need to rephrase, because that's what I got.

Player-3

Smash Hero
someone counterpicked p1 to rc at the last WABA............

i lol'd so hard

RC for neutral.

P1 stocked Desu's DDD, it was funny... then lost to him in a MM

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Well, player-1, if thats your concern, then Kirby, Metaknight, G&W, D3, and anyone else with a good recovery has an advantage on that stage. You need to rephrase, because that's what I got.
yea agreed here otherwise the match is all in the person here

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
cool, brinstar isn't the best stage for diddy, but it has some cool tricks to it like the bouncing naner on the cylinders holding the 2 halves of the stage together
i think that diddy can do well here if you control the middle of the stage well because of the big platform there, stay away from the weird platforms on the left and right. if your opponent is hanging out there, peanut them.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
new cp is rainbow cruise o-o wewt!

@brinstar:

well what to say i like being on platforms here since i place my nanas on these mostly to force them to go for the banana and develop set ups for later for when they miss catching it or do catch it and just punish accordingly. i do like having at least one banana on the bottom part of the stage and love to force trip them into the lava :3

Esca

Smash Champion
To me it's not the matter of 'Does Diddy do bad/good here?' it's the matter of 'How big of an advantage/disadvantage does my opponent's character get here.'
Right here man. You know who is good on the stage already, so you answered your own question.

Brinstar...hmm...I do think Brinstar is a decent Diddy stage. The good thing about this stage with Diddy is his throwing ability. Although you have to banana less, the knockback on the grabs compensates for his lack of damage-racking. It is understandable to be able to control one banana on this stage though.

Also, save utilt on this level, and use it off the top. >.<

Esca

Smash Champion
Guys, I counterpicked Rainbow Cruise this weekend on Razer, the Snake. I was so so **** close to beating him.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Right here man. You know who is good on the stage already, so you answered your own question.

Brinstar...hmm...I do think Brinstar is a decent Diddy stage. The good thing about this stage with Diddy is his throwing ability. Although you have to banana less, the knockback on the grabs compensates for his lack of damage-racking. It is understandable to be able to control one banana on this stage though.

Also, save utilt on this level, and use it off the top. >.<

Yeah...so what am I rephrasing...? You're not making any sense

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Lee Martin counter-picked NinjaLink with Brinstar last night in Winner's Semifinals at CoT4, and it was a glorious display of stage awareness on NL's part. This can potentially be a great and tricky Diddy CP.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Guys, Jungle Japes ***** DDD players so hard.

Trap them on the side of the stage, then get near the edge of the bottom middle platform. DDD can't approach at all, his Waddle Dee goes right over your head, just spam the peanut popper gun and he'll consistently get hit. If he tries to approach from above throw your bananas up consistently. And when he comes down on the ground just grab him, grab release him into the water where he can possibly get spiked by the gator and die quickly.

Trust me, I was just at a National Wide tourney last weekend and I beat 2 DDD's in a row (One of them being one of the Best DDDs) using Jungle Japes.

T_E_S

Smash Rookie
i WROTE A SONG FOR DIDDY

ooooooohhhhhhh diddy kong how I hate you so much
oooooooohhhhh diddy, how angry u make me
oooooooooohhh diddy kong, you spam way too much
ooooooooohhhh diddy kong how I hate thee

Top Bottom