• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteZER0

Smash Apprentice
Am i still the only one who think Mario and Sonic at the Olympics is a lie and at E3, they are gonna say it is not real?
0_o It's been confirmed. It is an ACTUAL game. It IS real. You can BELIEVE! IT'S OKAY!!! XD

With all the rumors about, and because of an article I read about Sonic being the top character in one of Sakurai's polls, I have no doubt he will show up in the game. That and I've seen a small clip of Sonic running up past all the Brawl Characters, and standing in front of the camera. Can't find it now, though...

Cenedar

Smash Ace
0_o It's been confirmed. It is an ACTUAL game. It IS real. You can BELIEVE! IT'S OKAY!!! XD

With all the rumors about, and because of an article I read about Sonic being the top character in one of Sakurai's polls, I have no doubt he will show up in the game. That and I've seen a small clip of Sonic running up past all the Brawl Characters, and standing in front of the camera. Can't find it now, though...
No offense, but I doubt the clip you saw was real. There are scads of fan made trailers for Brawl that include Sonic on the internets. Just go onto youtube and search under "Sonic for Smash Bros" or something like that and you'll probably find the one you saw among them. And I assure you that none of them will be real and legitimate. (and if you were just being sarcastic with that remark, then I apologize for going into this long post XD)

Now, if Nintendo decides to release a trailer with Sonic in it at their conference tomorrow at E3 (9 am sharp everybody!), then feel free to jump for joy.

And yes, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics is quite real. It took me a bit to believe it too XD.

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
Hey on G4 one of the biggest rumors heard so far is Sonic being playable in Brawl....with all this hype thrown at this game what do you expect. I mean they showed it on tv now people who didn't know will now know.

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
^^ I would enjoy that moment 'o so well. I need some kind of big announcement, my heart beats with every second I hear Super smash bros brawl on tv. I'm going crazy :p Nintendo will give us 1 big fanboyorgy tomorrow.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
I would be so dissapointed if Sonic were not in it.On some website (can't rememer sadly),it said that Nintendo wasn't actively pursuing Sega for Sonic.I won't take too much into account like that,but things like that can be disheartening at times.Oh well,Sonic FTW!!

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
New-fangled lighting combined with poor tri-use and horrid textures. Yum! Silver's right, there really isn't any reason for even a GC game to look quite this bad.

They may be trying to cut down on resources to get the framerate high, but they're not doing it very well if that's the case. Wait and see more as it develops, and when we see it in motion. Though if the screenshots are any indication (see: Bowser and the hammer throw. And this screenshot, for that matter,) there -will- be lots of areas in the game where character close ups are necessary. Which is a darn shame when things look like this.

Let's just hope these aren't the final models.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Well remember, this is probably a very early build, I wouldn't be surprised if the graphics got a bump in the future. After all, we don't really know when this game is coming out.

SMBEffect

Smash Apprentice
Well remember, this is probably a very early build, I wouldn't be surprised if the graphics got a bump in the future. After all, we don't really know when this game is coming out.
I was actually gonna just say that. Aren't some of the first screenshots released for the game? It's probably early in development. Plus, isn't this game being developed partially by Nintendo?

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Supposedly it's released in Europe on Nov 30th. That would 3 days before Brawl is released, assuming Dec 3rd is the earliest it'll be released.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
The only reason it looks so bad is because it's a screenshot. That kind of lighting always looks bad in still shots. In motion the game looks fine.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
The only reason it looks so bad is because it's a screenshot. That kind of lighting always looks bad in still shots. In motion the game looks fine.
It's the same type of lighting that they're using for Mario Galaxy, and might I add all those screenshots look great. I'm not attacking the Wii's capabilities here. From an artists standpoint I can tell you it's more than capable. I'm just saying it honestly looks like Sega's artists are off the mark. The game will obviously look better in motion, but there are going to be character close-ups for victory poses and certain events, and some of the graphical issues therein are going to be pretty painful on the eyes when it comes to that.

I do think they might crank them up a few notches before release, but I doubt these are 'stand-in' or 'beta' models. If they don't have the major part of the visuals done, then they definitely don't need to be releasing screenshots, and should have stuck with the FMV they showed at E3.

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
It's the same type of lighting that they're using for Mario Galaxy, and might I add all those screenshots look great. I'm not attacking the Wii's capabilities here. From an artists standpoint I can tell you it's more than capable. I'm just saying it honestly looks like Sega's artists are off the mark. The game will obviously look better in motion, but there are going to be character close-ups for victory poses and certain events, and some of the graphical issues therein are going to be pretty painful on the eyes when it comes to that.

I do think they might crank them up a few notches before release, but I doubt these are 'stand-in' or 'beta' models. If they don't have the major part of the visuals done, then they definitely don't need to be releasing screenshots, and should have stuck with the FMV they showed at E3.
they showed a video of the game???

can you post the link please??

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Ahhh...now, if only someone can hack into smashbros.com and put this there on Friday. That'll show Sakurai how serious we are about this...and our potential of causing harm if he fails to satisfy our demands. ;)

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
Ahhh...now, if only someone can hack into smashbros.com and put this there on Friday. That'll show Sakurai how serious we are about this...and our potential of causing harm if he fails to satisfy our demands. ;)
:( well guess we can print it and send it through the mail and put some poison on the slip of the envelope that says he will die unless he meets demands. JP

SiegK

Smash Champion
Huntington Beach, SoCal. Wanna Smash? PM me.
I dont like the 1st threads Moves for Sonic. Doesnt fit. I think ill make my own and post later. 1st off I think sonic shouldnt fast fall unless made to, cause in all Sonic games, he stays in air after a jump for a few sec. So... yeah. Iono, just didnt agree with my stomach.

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
^^They didn't talk about Brawl's online only Pokemon, but yes they did hint it.
I'm really starting to believe Sonic is in Brawl now. They did hint at it sometimes when they wanted to and sometimes it just came up in your head. The whole thing yesterday they showed on the E3 preview show about the whole biggest rumors thing and Sonic being in Brawl made me feel that more people will know about it and they can discuss their opinions.

xenogears23

Smash Apprentice
i don't want to see sonic in this game

i feel like he'd pollute everything

plus his plethora of crappy games has just made his appeal go down the toilet for me

last time he was any good was back on genesis

and those days are over

if sonic can be in then lets let crash bandicoot in too---how bout spyro?!

in 20 years if this series is still around i imagine the floor being opened to all video game characters from a ton of different series that are not nintendo related

but that time is not now
brawl doesn;t need sonic
and neither do i

I Like Smash...

Smash Apprentice

plus his plethora of crappy games has just made his appeal go down the toilet for me

and those days are over

in 20 years if this series is still around i imagine the floor being opened to all video game characters from a ton of different series that are not nintendo related

but that time is not now
brawl doesn;t need sonic
and neither do i
i agree that he hasnt had a smoot transition into 3 dimensions (with the exception of Sonic Adventure)...
and even his 2D games on handhelds werent particularly amazing...
but these crappy games are actually selling...:dizzy:
Sega knows people will by a Sonic game simply because its a Sonic game...
despite being universally panned in the US, Sonic Heroes sold like crack in east Baltimore...
why waste time making it good when nobody cares about the quality???

SonicMario

Smash Master
At least we finally have some decent screenshots of M&S, instead of the usual Mario & Sonic running with the title. I couldn't watch (which sucked) the hints that Sonic could be in Brawl from Reggie, does anybody know what exactly he sayed to hint that? It said M&S was coming this Holiday, but what doo they mean? Like right on Christmas Eve or Day? or more earlier after Brawl? or possibly it means Thanksgiving?

Oh and xenogears23, either you like it or not Sonic has a higher chance then most 3rd Party characters COMBINED. And Sonic does have some good games after his Genesis days(Advance and Rush series anyone?). Sonic is a much celebrated character that even after disgraces of games, he is till one of the most popular characters around. Sure he has his setbacks, but it never drains Sonic's popularity to nothing. Sonic is also one of the only characters that put Nintendo into hard work keeping up with him. Snake was a big surprize to everyone, and we can and we will cheer for "Sonic in Brawl!" till it is confirmed or even till it is unhappily uncomfirmed.

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
i agree that he hasnt had a smoot transition into 3 dimensions (with the exception of Sonic Adventure)...
and even his 2D games on handhelds werent particularly amazing...
but these crappy games are actually selling...:dizzy:
Sega knows people will by a Sonic game simply because its a Sonic game...
despite being universally panned in the US, Sonic Heroes sold like crack in east Baltimore...
why waste time making it good when nobody cares about the quality???
This is why I hate SEGA. Weird isn't it. I think Sonic has tons of potential of being one of the greatest characters, he's just in the wrong hands. SEGA made him who he was today. I enjoyed all the classic Sonic games, but once SEGA didn't have much to do with him they messed him up. I only play the GBA, DS, and classic Sonic games cause they were all good, he did something for the DS, GBA, ect. He deserves the spot I think, but after this SEGA really needs to fix him cause all the hate for sucky games will catch up to them.

smashplayer16

Smash Ace
My gosh man I want to see the mascots of nintendo and sega duke it out. Just about everybody wants to see that. I'm dissapointed in his games except the second and a few others, to but still, I wanted to see an official game with Mario and Sonic together.

I Like Smash...

Smash Apprentice
This is why I hate SEGA. Weird isn't it. I think Sonic has tons of potential of being one of the greatest characters, he's just in the wrong hands. SEGA made him who he was today. I enjoyed all the classic Sonic games, but once SEGA didn't have much to do with him they messed him up. I only play the GBA, DS, and classic Sonic games cause they were all good, he did something for the DS, GBA, ect. He deserves the spot I think, but after this SEGA really needs to fix him cause all the hate for sucky games will catch up to them.
all i know is if they manage to screw up Nights...
im gonna have to bust some skulls...
i almost feel like i could make a better game...
but rumor has it they are remaking Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (as in the Genesis classic) to be in 3D...
that could either be amazing...
or an abortion of a classic video game...

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer

and those days are over

but that time is not now
brawl doesn;t need sonic
and neither do i
Here's my stance on this. It's really more of a discussion of third party in general than just Sonic....

IDEALLY, Brawl would be a nintendo only game. I feel like, in general, the inclusion of any third parties at all, including Sonic, does indeed pollute things. BUT, Snake's already in. The third party door has been opened whether we like it or not, so now's our chance to actually grab someone worthy before it closes.

The way I see it, as much as I hate the fact that Sakurai held the door open for Snake, I would hate it even more if he did so without peaking in, spotting a character like Sonic, and grabbing him.

If third parties are in, then I want a third party character I actually like. Now that Snake is in, all bets are basically off.

EDIT: And I really don't want to hear anything about Sonic's crappy 3D performance. That has nothing to do with his character and the fact that DESPITE the lackluster display he's giving on 3D consoles, the games still sell. That is COMPLETELY due to his character (and the rest of the characters in the series). People just love Sonic.

Besides, I don't care what anyone says. The Sonic/Tails/Knuckles stories in SA, the Sonic/Shadow stories in SA2, and all the stories in Sonic Heroes were decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom