• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Koopa|o.O

Smash Cadet
You can answer your own question if you simply use your brain and eyes.
lol yeah it deff was pointless to ask, i was on mobile and my phone sucks

anyways, i try to stay away from overall dark stages because people complain that they can't see their character sometimes. ill probably work on something in the near future

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
Name: True Ninja Sheik
Made By: DJLO
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/gdrxzah61180xc9/PlSkWh[trueninja].dat

not as great as i hoped, there some weird purple stuff on the pelvis but its cool. gonna do one based on naruto for her next. removed the sheikah symbol and replaced with "ninja" in japanese(well it actually means stealth because ninja uses 2 letters)

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord

Koopa|o.O

Smash Cadet
This looks awesome. Could you add these changes to the neon-night time version.
Also if you give me boo's texture offset I could probably remove the rod for you.
Thanks! Yeah I'll do add them to neon and give you the offset when I get the chance that would be sick if you could get rid of the pole

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard

idk how to fix these platforms
the attached image is the texture i used, whoever wants to fix it go ahead
http://www.mediafire.com/download/kvjttroajyvsfc8/GrSt_(the_hack._v1.1.1).dat
Did you use my programs for this, by creating the tpl and then giving that to the wizard? The problem is most likely with the palette type. But that's easy to fix. Open PNG to-from TPL in a text editor and you'll find a few options toward the top. One of them is sourceHasTransparency, which is defaulted to yes. You could test this theory by changing that to no and trying again. The alternative would be to just give the png to the wizard instead of converting it first. This would work because the wizard can auto-detect whether the image uses transparency in it, so it'll then use the correct palette encoding.

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Did you use my programs for this, by creating the tpl and then giving that to the wizard? The problem is most likely with the palette type. But that's easy to fix. Open PNG to-from TPL in a text editor and you'll find a few options toward the top. One of them is sourceHasTransparency, which is defaulted to yes. You could test this theory by changing that to no and trying again. The alternative would be to just give the png to the wizard instead of converting it first. This would work because the wizard can auto-detect whether the image uses transparency in it, so it'll then use the correct palette encoding.
What you see in that picture is that outcome of me putting the PNG into the texture wizard without the converter.

DRGN

Technowizard
What you see in that picture is that outcome of me putting the PNG into the texture wizard without the converter.
Ah. Hm. Well you could try the other method I mentioned. My other guess is that it uses a short palette in the dat. How many entries/lines are available in the dat for the palette?

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Ah. Hm. Well you could try the other method I mentioned. My other guess is that it uses a short palette in the dat. How many entries/lines are available in the dat for the palette?
dude idk lmfao i just redo textures and try to make them work

in the placement file it says this:

09 - 000334a0 (8 lines) -192 [64MAX]

could that possibly mean something

Last edited:

Koopa|o.O

Smash Cadet
This looks awesome. Could you add these changes to the neon-night time version.
Also if you give me boo's texture offset I could probably remove the rod for you.
Neon Nighttime Yoshi's Story with Boo and parabones (no pic because lazy):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6z33bxQaQyITlNzZFFwaEw2elU/view?usp=sharing

Here's what it says the offsets are for boo in the placements.txt:
31 - 000be880 (boo)
30 - 000c0080 (this one's derm's feet, i made it transparent)

Achilles1515

Smash Master
dude idk lmfao i just redo textures and try to make them work

in the placement file it says this:

09 - 000334a0 (8 lines) -192 [64MAX]

could that possibly mean something
Bottom of this post.

In other words,

The palette for that image is 8 lines (instead of the normal 32). Each "line" in your hex editor, in relation to Steelia's texture packs, is 0x10 in length. 0x10 multiplied by 8 = 0x80 in length total. But so remember how each color is 2 bytes long...so a length of 0x2 (ex. magenta is 0xFC1F)? This means that every "line" has eight colors on it. 0x10 divided by 0x2 = 0x8 = decimal 8.

8 colors per line multiplied by 8 lines = 64 colors max for that image.

And as a reference for normal palettes, 8 (colors per line) multiplied by 32 (usual lines in a palette) = 256 (max colors for the image)

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Bottom of this post.

In other words,

The palette for that image is 8 lines (instead of the normal 32). Each "line" in your hex editor, in relation to Steelia's texture packs, is 0x10 in length. 0x10 multiplied by 8 = 0x80 in length total. But so remember how each color is 2 bytes long...so a length of 0x2 (ex. magenta is 0xFC1F)? This means that every "line" has eight colors on it. 0x10 divided by 0x2 = 0x8 = decimal 8.

8 colors per line multiplied by 8 lines = 64 colors max for that image.

And as a reference for normal palettes, 8 (colors per line) multiplied by 32 (usual lines in a palette) = 256 (max colors for the image)
Yeah I came to that conclusion myself, but when I changed the mode to indexed color on photoshop and made the max colors 64 it still didn't work. Would you mind trying to do it for me?

DRGN

Technowizard
Nice explanation, achilles, thanks.
Yeah I came to that conclusion myself, but when I changed the mode to indexed color on photoshop and made the max colors 64 it still didn't work. Would you mind trying to do it for me?
Here you go. I just now did this real quick, so I haven't tested it, but I think it'll work.
txt2_0066_9.png

I would have been here earlier, but I was gone all day at a tournament. Movin' up in dem rankings. :p And I'll be going to another one today! haha

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman

Here you go. I just now did this real quick, so I haven't tested it, but I think it'll work.
View attachment 33487

I would have been here earlier, but I was gone all day at a tournament. Movin' up in dem rankings. :p And I'll be going to another one today! haha
doesn't work
again i encourage you to try this on your own so you can test this yourself without just continuously having to wait for me to test things
http://www.mediafire.com/download/133aybbaawrbwsf/GrSt_(the_hack._v1.2).dat

Attachments

DRGN

Technowizard
doesn't work
again i encourage you to try this on your own so you can test this yourself without just continuously having to wait for me to test things
I simply didn't have time to test. And I thought you had trouble with making the palette for some reason and that you were asking if someone could make the image. Though re-reading your post I see now that "it" in the last sentence was probably the whole hack rather than just the image. I'll try to look at it more later, but I may not be back until tomorrow.

Last edited:

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337

View attachment 33487

Were you up in WA for Northwest Majors? If so I'm super bummed I didn't get to meet you! Or, maybe I did? lol.

Achilles1515

Smash Master

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Dude, don't get mad at him for trying to help you when you are doing nothing on your own to attempt to solve the problem. I linked you to the guide that goes over shorter palettes...just follow it.
I wasn't getting mad I was just suggesting that the process would be quicker if he was the one testing it

TimpZ

Smash Cadet
Question about the Falcon texture files in this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/melee-hacks-and-you-updated-1-7-11.247119/page-2#post-8291198

If I want to edit the red Falcon textures do I want the DAT or USD files? Also the converter BAT complains about the TGA files being wrong, for example the first TGA included is 01BOOTDETAIL in the BAT but 01Belt in the folders. I could change it myself but if there's a newer version without these issues I'd rather take that.

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Question about the Falcon texture files in this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/melee-hacks-and-you-updated-1-7-11.247119/page-2#post-8291198

If I want to edit the red Falcon textures do I want the DAT or USD files? Also the converter BAT complains about the TGA files being wrong, for example the first TGA included is 01BOOTDETAIL in the BAT but 01Belt in the folders. I could change it myself but if there's a newer version without these issues I'd rather take that.
Use Melee Toolkit, and DAT.

Anutim

Smash Apprentice

DAT is the original japanese file (NTSC-J), USD is an edited version for NTSC and UKD is an edited version for PAL.
If there's only a DAT file for a certain file name, use that one. Otherwise I guess you should use the USD/UKD one?

TimpZ

Smash Cadet
Melee toolkit seems like it doesn't do me any good in this situation since it allows me to export and import textures but nothing else. For example it doesn't allow me to edit the shininess textures or whatever it's called.

I'm fine working with hex but if what Anutim says is correct, are all USD files compatible with all NTSC versions? Also I tried to edit the face of Green CptFalcon but nothing showed up in the built ISO's using the same method I did with my Fox/Falco textures, same thing with red Falcon using Melee toolkit, any ideas why?

EDIT: Nvm I edited the .DAT file rather than the .USD file while using NTSC 1.02. That's the weirdest thing I've ever encountered while hacking games though...

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
doesn't work
The image I posted works fine. It looks like what happened was that you had already imported an image with a larger palette (probably one of your first attempts with 256 colors), which overwrote the data after that image. (It's also possible that instead you tried to insert something to the wrong offset.) So when you inserted my image, it didn't matter because the data after it (including the palette header for it) was already corrupted. What you need to do is edit an older version of the file, from before you tried to hack that texture.

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
The image I posted works fine. It looks like what happened was that you had already imported an image with a larger palette (probably one of your first attempts with 256 colors), which overwrote the data after that image. (It's also possible that instead you tried to insert something to the wrong offset.) So when you inserted my image, it didn't matter because the data after it (including the palette header for it) was already corrupted. What you need to do is edit an older version of the file, from before you tried to hack that texture.
I restarted with a clean DAT and inserted the png using your dat texture wizard and I still get black platforms.

DRGN

Technowizard
I must be doing something wrong although I have 0 clue what. Can you just give me that DAT?
Yeah, I just now edited my post to include it.

What version of the wizard are you using?

Edit: The other thing is, in the original dat, there's a buffer of some zeros after the palette data. When you change the palette count to 64, it overwrites that blank area. I don't know if it's important. Obviously it worked for me anyway. And I don't know why Steelia's notes say it's 64 colors, since the original is apparently 52 colors. So maybe you can try this one instead (which uses a palette of 52 colors), it it might be more "stable"?

I don't see what differences there would be though (and I tested it, and it worked too). You're using Dolphin to test, right?

Last edited:

Mingo

Smash Cadet
Alright so heres the completed version of GrYt.
Theres 3 versions.
Omega form: http://a.pomf.se/ojpvwm.dat

Then theres this one with the blocks as the platforms. You can go through the platforms as any other but it still operates as a box so if its hit you can land on it.
http://a.pomf.se/fytivc.dat

Also I made this just because. Theres an actual platform there instead of the boxes. You can still hit the boxes but they dont affect the platform at all other that having a hitbox.
http://a.pomf.se/lloupe.dat

(Falcon walljumps from the left ledge if you hold away. Not my fault, a lot of stages are like that already.)
I'm loving the Omega version! but is there any way to move it to the Hacked stages section instead of the regular?

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
so if anyone is looking for some inspiration on character recolors, i went and looked at some of the "missing or modified" colors from 64, here's the list:

CF - Default purple (has been done) Can be redone again to be closer to 64, closer pink/purple.
DK - Green Team (green skin and fur), Grey/Black, Bright Red. Really all of these can be redone because of the tie.
Jigglypuff - Blue tinted(blue bow), Cream tinted (green bow)
Mario - all besides his default can be brighter.
Ness - all besides yellow/black can be redone to be closer to 64
Samus - Darker brown(inner thighs and helmet), Bluer purple(these two are vry close, but Melee is more purple than blue). Most can have the inner thighs touched up, as in Melee they are all the same yellow, but not in 64.

compare:

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Alternate_costume_(SSBM)

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Alternate_costume_(SSB)

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Neon Nighttime Yoshi's Story with Boo and parabones (no pic because lazy):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6z33bxQaQyITlNzZFFwaEw2elU/view?usp=sharing

Here's what it says the offsets are for boo in the placements.txt:
31 - 000be880 (boo)
30 - 000c0080 (this one's derm's feet, i made it transparent)
Oh wow, I feel like a jerk. I got caught up in hacking and forgot to do this for you. Im too lazy to upload it for you but go to offset 169ec and overwrite 00140008 with 00000000. Thats not the texture btw. Its a flag.

I'm loving the Omega version! but is there any way to move it to the Hacked stages section instead of the regular?
If youre referring to the 20XX training pack thats not my project. Talk to Achilles about it.

Name: Spooky Story
Made By: Veggies
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/d518yq885558pud/GRST.DAT
I wasnt quite sure how this would turn out but it looks amazing. Good work. You and koopa|o should consider combing yours. It comes out pretty good.

Mingo

Smash Cadet
Alright, so i have a whole assortment of problems here. First of all, the link for the very first CSS Download on the first page the one Made By: Goxplex (Credit to MachRiderZ for almost all the renders) the link goes to dropbox but just says error 404 "We could not find what you are looking for" so could someone please re-Upload that link please :D
Next i downloaded the Matrix BattleField and it works fine, i can play on the stage Until all of the Zeros and ones come up in the background then everything freezes with a loud "BRRRRRR" sound. I also experienced this freeze and loud sound when i try to play on the "Super Mario RPG Light" , "Mushroom kingdom Legal" skin, and the "Blue Cap Falcon Tron skin" except the freeze happens this time when i select the stage. ( No stages will load when i select the "Blue Cap Falcon Tron skin") I have no idea what is going on with these 0_o

zankyou

Smash Lord
Alright, so i have a whole assortment of problems here. First of all, the link for the very first CSS Download on the first page the one Made By: Goxplex (Credit to MachRiderZ for almost all the renders) the link goes to dropbox but just says error 404 "We could not find what you are looking for" so could someone please re-Upload that link please :D
Next i downloaded the Matrix BattleField and it works fine, i can play on the stage Until all of the Zeros and ones come up in the background then everything freezes with a loud "BRRRRRR" sound. I also experienced this freeze and loud sound when i try to play on the "Super Mario RPG Light" , "Mushroom kingdom Legal" skin, and the "Blue Cap Falcon Tron skin" except the freeze happens this time when i select the stage. ( No stages will load when i select the "Blue Cap Falcon Tron skin") I have no idea what is going on with these 0_o
Its highly unlikely that a texture hack would break the game. From my knowledge of dat files its probably impossible. Try testing just these on a clean iso.

I want a download link for this!
Since its not really my work Im not gonna post a download link. But it on takes a minute or two to make it.

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow, I feel like a jerk. I got caught up in hacking and forgot to do this for you. Im too lazy to upload it for you but go to offset 169ec and overwrite 00140008 with 00000000. Thats not the texture btw. Its a flag.

If youre referring to the 20XX training pack thats not my project. Talk to Achilles about it.

I wasnt quite sure how this would turn out but it looks amazing. Good work. You and koopa|o should consider combing yours. It comes out pretty good.
It's up to koopa but I am perfectly ok with it! I wanted to add that to the stage but I was waiting for you to get rid of the pole.

Top Bottom