• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Achilles1515

Smash Master
how does one convert textures for character colors to a new color? is there a simple tool / process or should an idiot like me not try to fiddle with these things?
Say you want to convert a normal texture to the blue costume, My process is:

1) Open the texture you want to convert in Melee Toolkit.
2) open another Melee Toolkit with the regular blue costume of that character.

3) Compare texture by texture and if there is a difference, extract out the hacked one and replace it in the blue file.

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Say you want to convert a normal texture to the blue costume, My process is:

1) Open the texture you want to convert in Melee Toolkit.
2) open another Melee Toolkit with the regular blue costume of that character.

3) Compare texture by texture and if there is a difference, extract out the hacked one and replace it in the blue file.
Honestly you shouldn't have even replied. The answer to his question was right above his post meaning he clearly didn't even try to read through the thread.

Koopa|o.O

Smash Cadet
same thing that happened to DRGN happened to me. woopsies

Last edited:

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
Ok guys, I've been working hard to achieve this the last few days and I'm glad to see the outcome. I guess I can still improve some things but for now I'm releasing it for everybody to enjoy!

It's Captain Falcon with his Classic SNES outfit!
Here's also a preview for the CSP! (Which I won't be uploading just now. I'm adding some last details)

Name: SNES Captain Falcon
Color: Neutral Falcon
Created By: Luddoj
Texture Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wi848vp8v4jlx52/PlCaNr.dat

I will be adding the TPL for the CSS very soon.

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
Ok guys, I've been working hard to achieve this the last few days and I'm glad to see the outcome. I guess I can still improve some things but for now I'm releasing it for everybody to enjoy!

Here's also a preview for the CSP! (Which I won't be uploading just now. I'm adding some last details)

Amazing job! :)

Achilles1515

Smash Master

Yeah, that is really nice work. I love seeing new [quality] textures. I might need to replace Cyborg Ninja with this one in the 20XX pack.

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
Amazing job! :)
Thanks! I'm a great Falcon fan and for some days I was considering the possibility of designing this costume. It wasn't easy but I'm really glad with the result. Thanks for the support!

Yeah, that is really nice work. I love seeing new [quality] textures. I might need to replace Cyborg Ninja with this one in the 20XX pack.
Oh wow... When designing this costume I was thinking about the possibility of contacting you so you could give my texture a chance of being in your next 20XX Hack Pack Update. I can't beleive it is actually happening! Makes me feel really proud of my work and also makes me feel like all the time I spent designing it was not spent in vain. Thanks!

Thanks for all the comments! I'm really glad you liked it!

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
do you guys have any tips for editing textures? I have problems trying to know where each texture and what I'm editing is supposed to fit.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
do you guys have any tips for editing textures? I have problems trying to know where each texture and what I'm editing is supposed to fit.
You just have to have a feel for it. I doubt someone is going to come along and create something as great as brawlbox or brawlmanager due to the lack of popularity on this subject.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Besides someone being interested in making the tool, we would first [more importantly] need to understand how to read the character vertex data, which we don't know.

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
http://puu.sh/bXVb9/cc1ec62707.png

How would I go about adding 14 more texture slots to the file on the left so I can properly transfer the texture from the right? Am I going to need to do some round about?

edit: err, I think I might have found the answer in another thread. guess that's what I get for posting hte Q as soon as I have it.
second edit: okay nvm that other thread didn't answer, gonna keep fiddling but if there's a short way it'd be hot to know.
third edit: opening up an original color rather than one of the 20XX alts seems to give me the full number of texture files. So I guess the way to do this is to go the long path and replace the original files for the color I want to covert to in some spare, and then insert that changed spare file into the alt file slot of the 20XX iso via GCR.
Yes. For whatever reason MeleeToolkit does not display all textures.

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
Guys, it's me once again, and I'm here to show you my latest project. This is going to be my last texture for a long period of time, since I have to focus on my other stuff (Project M Custom Build) and creating Textures/CSPs for Melee just consumes too much time, but is also so much fun I couldn't resist it.

So, in honor of Smash 4 now being available worldwide, here we have one of Mario's Special Costumes: NES Open Tournament Golf Mario!

Ready to Smash for Glory!
Before I move on and leave the download links I want to get some things out of the way:

- The stripes on the overalls are all placed with the intention of keeping coherence and order. However, as it's very hard to keep track of where the following color will be (since you have to color the textures almost blindly and without the possibility to check if you mess up) there may be still some parts that are not connected perfectly.
- It's IMPOSSIBLE to recreate the hat completely. Mario has 2 really annoying textures that completely negates that: a little square pixel that appears as that red square next to his "M" symbol, and that line that circles around the hat and that consists of only ONE color. I chose red to keep consistency, as white looked really out of place. So after many hours trying to make all the stripes on the hat match, I gave up and painted them red.

I must say though that there's a high chance you won't even notice those details while playing, as Mario almost never faces the camera. You will only see them while looking at him at an angle. Details, details.

I had a blast making this texture, and I'm very happy with the final result. Maybe in the future I'll make more improvements to it or something. Hopefully you will like it as much as me.

Sorry for the boring wall of text. Now to bussiness. Here is a preview of the epic CSP:

And the download links!

Download Texture: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5w3pid08977mh4f/PlMrNr.dat
Download CSP (TPL File With Shadows): http://www.mediafire.com/download/ogb50y6dgitx962/NES_Tournament_Mario.tpl

Name: NES Tournament Mario a.k.a. Murica Mario
Created by: Luddoj
Replaces: Regular Mario

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
yo Luddoj cn u give me the hex id number 4 zelda din fire etc, i wnt 2 chnge the color
How about you stop asking for this **** and try to figure it out on your own seeing as the last 3 times you posted this no one has responded. It's clear nobody knows, stop asking. This is a warning.

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to port the Dark Zelda costume from White Zelda to Red Zelda, but for some reason I can't open certain Zelda textures with the Melee Toolkit (including Dark Zelda of course). The program crashes immediately when I try to open them. It's really weird because it only happens with the Zelda files that were included in the big archive (with files and screenshots) that CheeseREX posted in the old texture hacking thread, so newer ones like 420XX Zelda work fine, as do the default files. Does anyone know how to fix this? Alternatively, could someone try opening Dark Zelda on their computer and export those textures for me if it works? The file's in the OP of this thread under white Zelda.

Edit: I'm having the same problem with custom Peach costume files, so if someone is able to export those Dark Zelda textures, I would love it if you could export the textures for Akutsuki Peach as well (http://www.mediafire .com/download/3cljr7r3l7g85cr/Akatsuki+Peach+%28Original+Peach%29.zip). Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
Guys, it's me once again, and I'm here to show you my latest project. This is going to be my last texture for a long period of time, since I have to focus on my other stuff (Project M Custom Build) and creating Textures/CSPs for Melee just consumes too much time, but is also so much fun I couldn't resist it.

So, in honor of Smash 4 now being available worldwide, here we have one of Mario's Special Costumes: NES Open Tournament Golf Mario!

Before I move on and leave the download links I want to get some things out of the way:

- The stripes on the overalls are all placed with the intention of keeping coherence and order. However, as it's very hard to keep track of where the following color will be (since you have to color the textures almost blindly and without the possibility to check if you mess up) there may be still some parts that are not connected perfectly.
- It's IMPOSSIBLE to recreate the hat completely. Mario has 2 really annoying textures that completely negates that: a little square pixel that appears as that red square next to his "M" symbol, and that line that circles around the hat and that consists of only ONE color. I chose red to keep consistency, as white looked really out of place. So after many hours trying to make all the stripes on the hat match, I gave up and painted them red.

I must say though that there's a high chance you won't even notice those details while playing, as Mario almost never faces the camera. You will only see them while looking at him at an angle. Details, details.

I had a blast making this texture, and I'm very happy with the final result. Maybe in the future I'll make more improvements to it or something. Hopefully you will like it as much as me.

Sorry for the boring wall of text. Now to bussiness. Here is a preview of the epic CSP:

And the download links!

Download Texture:
Download CSP (TPL File With Shadows):

Luddoj you are a god! Is there any way you could make the stripes on his hat a little bit bigger though, so they're closer in size to the ones on his pants? The hat and overalls just look a little mis-matched since the hat stripes are smaller

Last edited:

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
Luddoj you are a god! Is there any way you could make the stripes on his hat a little bit bigger though, so they're closer in size to the ones on his pants? The hat and overalls just look a little mis-matched since the hat stripes are smaller
Yo! Thanks for that, I really appreciate the praise.

Please feel free to read some of the reasons for that (Wall of text ahead, procceed with caution)
Well let me tell you I was thinking the exact same thing when creating the texture. Trust me, I had to re-do the hat like a million times for it to look at least decent. The thing is, the hat is possibly the most annoying texture to edit. You see, I wasn't able to achieve a perfect design because there's a line that circles the thing, and I tried recoloring that with white and red, but the texture is so small, the white color appears like a splash of paint, it doesn't look good at all. Looks like the hat got a stain or something. Same thing happened to the tiny red square texture: when adding the white color, it looks like a stain, not a pattern.

Also keep in mind that the hat has 4 textures that really matter, and two of them are the top part of the hat and the sides. Trying to make the lines on the top and both sides match was a real pain, and it was even harder when the lines were big, as the textures all posses different dimensions. Most times the result was a red stripe in the top branching into a white stripe on both sides.

So in the end, making the stripes thinner actually got me the best results. The same thing did not happen on the overalls, which was 10000 times easier to edit. The stripes are bigger there because having too many stripes was the problem, since the overalls have like 5 or 6 pieces.

With that said, I might try to edit and make improvements to the costume in the future, as I myself also want to create a better final product. I released the costume since I had a lot of fun with it, and I felt that we could call it a beta or V0.1 of the costume, receive some feedback, like the one your giving me with some suggestions, and take them into consideration for when I return to editing Melee Textures. Right now I'm a tad busy with some personal projects and stuff, and Melee editing became like an addiction to me, so before I knew it, and with no experience, I designed 3 different costumes and people really liked them. That gave me motivation to keep pushing forward and putting more effort into my work. But now I'm taking some time to focus on achieving my main goals for now.

I'll definetely come back with an improved version of the Golf Costume, as well as some other ideas I have for some other characters. But if you liked my costume, please check and download my other works which you can find on this same thread. And really, thanks for the feedback and actually taking time to tell me what I need to improve. It really shows that people do care about what I do and that all the effort I put into this is not in vain. Makes me want to return editing right now.

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
I know this is irrevelent, but i need some help.
I've been trying to identify this song for 2 years! Can someone please help?

I would greatly appreciate it!

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzuydLXfy-E I could not find the original song so I uploaded it myself.

I got it from the Melee ISO Hack Project Melee v4 (not to be confused with Project M)
Why would you think this is even the slightest appropriate place to ask this?

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
Yo! Thanks for that, I really appreciate the praise.

Please feel free to read some of the reasons for that (Wall of text ahead, procceed with caution)
Well let me tell you I was thinking the exact same thing when creating the texture. Trust me, I had to re-do the hat like a million times for it to look at least decent. The thing is, the hat is possibly the most annoying texture to edit. You see, I wasn't able to achieve a perfect design because there's a line that circles the thing, and I tried recoloring that with white and red, but the texture is so small, the white color appears like a splash of paint, it doesn't look good at all. Looks like the hat got a stain or something. Same thing happened to the tiny red square texture: when adding the white color, it looks like a stain, not a pattern.

Also keep in mind that the hat has 4 textures that really matter, and two of them are the top part of the hat and the sides. Trying to make the lines on the top and both sides match was a real pain, and it was even harder when the lines were big, as the textures all posses different dimensions. Most times the result was a red stripe in the top branching into a white stripe on both sides.

So in the end, making the stripes thinner actually got me the best results. The same thing did not happen on the overalls, which was 10000 times easier to edit. The stripes are bigger there because having too many stripes was the problem, since the overalls have like 5 or 6 pieces.

With that said, I might try to edit and make improvements to the costume in the future, as I myself also want to create a better final product. I released the costume since I had a lot of fun with it, and I felt that we could call it a beta or V0.1 of the costume, receive some feedback, like the one your giving me with some suggestions, and take them into consideration for when I return to editing Melee Textures. Right now I'm a tad busy with some personal projects and stuff, and Melee editing became like an addiction to me, so before I knew it, and with no experience, I designed 3 different costumes and people really liked them. That gave me motivation to keep pushing forward and putting more effort into my work. But now I'm taking some time to focus on achieving my main goals for now.

I'll definetely come back with an improved version of the Golf Costume, as well as some other ideas I have for some other characters. But if you liked my costume, please check and download my other works which you can find on this same thread. And really, thanks for the feedback and actually taking time to tell me what I need to improve. It really shows that people do care about what I do and that all the effort I put into this is not in vain. Makes me want to return editing right now.
That makes a lot of sense, sounds like a pain! Thank you for all the work you put in to those textures, my hack pack currently has your SNES Falcon as well and it looks so good. It's always awesome to check this thread and see new high-quality textures being put together

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
I know this is irrevelent, but i need some help.
I've been trying to identify this song for 2 years! Can someone please help?

I would greatly appreciate it!

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzuydLXfy-E I could not find the original song so I uploaded it myself.

I got it from the Melee ISO Hack Project Melee v4 (not to be confused with Project M)
I gotchu, bro: watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
8D

Achilles1515

Smash Master
do you know if the grain (it makes the stage appear bumpy) is a texture by itself? I want to change it to be a wood plank texture, like a basketball court.
Well this turned out better than expected...

L.A. Lakers Pokemon Stadium
LA Lakers.PNG

Download Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?j72t476ov7phrmr

Here is the hardwood ground texture (texture 40).

hardwood.png

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master

And the download links!

Download Texture: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5w3pid08977mh4f/PlMrNr.dat
Download CSP (TPL File With Shadows): http://www.mediafire.com/download/ogb50y6dgitx962/NES_Tournament_Mario.tpl

So this is amazing, btw. I'm really looking forward to trying it out. I played with the SNES Falcon yesterday and it's very nice and looks great in-game. Keep it up, man.

Name: 3DS Green Falcon
Made By: Veggies
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/npmm4r93c21t0m4/3DS_Green_Falcon_(PlCaGr).dat

Name: Brawl Green Color-Scheme Falcon
Made By: Veggies
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/z5ghsqi6zfq3b6a/Brawl_Green_Falcon_(PlCaGr).dat
That 3DS green falcon is such a nice shade of green. Love the work, Veggies.
WOW thanks achilles, thats exactly what I had in mind, but better than anything I could do!
What did you want for the center logo?

And it's really not that impressive...to make these changes, all you need to do is replace 2 CMPR textures which don't have palettes or anything. So after I have the images sized accordingly, it takes like 5 mins.

Btw, are you working on any hacking projects at the moment, Goatlink? I have a feeling you've got something up your sleeve.

Last edited:

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
So this is amazing, btw. I'm really looking forward to trying it out. I played with the SNES Falcon yesterday and it's very nice and looks great in-game. Keep it up, man.

That 3DS green falcon is such a nice shade of green. Love the work, Veggies.

What did you want for the center logo?

And it's really not that impressive...to make these changes, all you need to do is replace 2 CMPR textures which don't have palettes or anything. So after I have the images sized accordingly, it takes like 5 mins.

Btw, are you working on any hacking projects at the moment, Goatlink? I have a feeling you've got something up your sleeve.
No, sadly I am not working on any projects atm. Real life and school have been keeping me too buisy

Top Bottom