• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
theres a bunch of numbers next to the battlefield file name like GrNBa.0at GrNBa.2at, which one do I replace?

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
What's wrong (or very right) with this image?

GALE01-35.png

*coughp1nametagcough*

Ok, so, not long ago, Achilles gave me a tip that there were some images hiding in the DOL. They don't have any traditional structuring that they're attached to (lacking even image data headers), so they've previously gone under the radar in DTW (as with some others I know about and still need to look into). But yesterday I added a special function just for them! And I realized this is pretty awesome, because there's a lot that can be done with these, and there are a ton of characters. On the Hiragana and Katakana pages, you can click on a character to pop-up a menu revealing 4 more (as shown below). You could add different fonts, more/different languages, random icons of all sorts, character insignias, emoticons, or full-on combined images!

GALE01-32.png

I'm just wondering how many seconds it will be before someone makes a troll face tag.

Anyways, support for these textures in the DOL will be in the next program update! As a side note, I'm also feeling pretty good about finally giving mipmaps a go, considering the last thing I posted about them, which IMO was huge. But I'll just have to see when I can sit down with the time, since there are some other things I'd like to get to too.

same thing for dreamland, different file names, I don't see a .dat for either of em
The latest version of DAT Texture Wizard shows file descriptions for 20XX's stages. (Sorry to you other guys, I don't have a Mac to test on.)

upload_2016-4-23_19-29-49.png

Otherwise, here is also a list (as of 4.05):

Final Destination (GrNLa.dat)
GrNLa.0at = Default
GrNLa.2at = Smash Wii U Model Import (no option to change to this in 20XX 4.05)
-------------------
Green Greens (GrGr.dat)
GrGr.0at = default
GrGr.1at = hacked
-------------------
Jungle Japes (GrGd.dat)
GrGd.0at = default
GrGd.1at = hacked with platform
GrGd.2at = omega
------------------
Yoshi's Island (GrYt.dat)
GrYt.0at = default
GrYt.1at = hacked (omega)
------------------
Mushroom Kingdom Adventure
GrNKr.0at = default
GrNKr.1at = hacked (2 plat)
GrnKr.2at = hacked (omega)
------------------
Fourside (GrFs.dat)
GrFs.0at = default
GrFs.1at = hacked (smashville)
------------------
Hyrule Maze (GrNSr.dat)
GrNSr.0at = default
GrNSr.1at = hacked
------------------
Target Test - Luigi (GrTLg.dat)
GrTLg.0at = default
GrTLg.1at = hacked (gamecube)
-----------------
Dreamland
GrOp.kat = KirbyWare, Inc.

GrNBa.bat = Battlefino Plaza

GrOp.rat = Return to Dreamland

GrPb.usd = Pokemon Stadium No Transformation skin

GrOy.wat = Wario Ware

Trophy Stage
GrNFg.dat = default
GrNFg.0at = two plats
GrNFg.1at = three plats
GrNFg.2at = Omega

Last edited:

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
its .0at for any one wondering, where can I fing a DAT texture wizard with all the new file names?
EDIT: I found it, but do the GoxPlex Css Icons work? I imported them just now and dolphin wouldn't start up until I put the OG Css icons back on

Last edited:

Shiftyy

Smash Cadet
Hey guys,

attempting for the very first time to make my own texture. Started with Marth, and it's been really fun to learn how to do all this and see (very limited) progress.

I'm having a problem with his eyes. I'm aware of the issues with eye textures not showing up on DAT Texture Wizard or Melee Toolkit.

The problem I have at the moment is that part of the whites of one of his eyes just doesn't render in game. The file itself looks fine, but when replaced it looks like there's a patch of skin where the whites of his eye should be. Anyone have some insight on how to fix this? I didn't want to go too crazy on his eyes, just wanted to change them from blue to red.

DRGN

Technowizard
its .0at for any one wondering, where can I fing a DAT texture wizard with all the new file names?
EDIT: I found it, but do the GoxPlex Css Icons work? I imported them just now and dolphin wouldn't start up until I put the OG Css icons back on
You can't replace the whole file, as there are other codes and things specific to 20XX's CSS file (MnSlChr). You need to replace just the textures using DTW's DAT Texture Tree tab.

Also, you don't need to do them one at a time. Check out the ReadMe to find out about the "standard naming convention" and bulk texture imports.

use Dat Texture Wizard 4.2 32bit using wine instead of melee toolkit
This works on Mac? I don't know how much wine's stability fluctuates, but I should probably ask what version you're using.

Hey guys,

attempting for the very first time to make my own texture. Started with Marth, and it's been really fun to learn how to do all this and see (very limited) progress.

I'm having a problem with his eyes. I'm aware of the issues with eye textures not showing up on DAT Texture Wizard or Melee Toolkit.

The problem I have at the moment is that part of the whites of one of his eyes just doesn't render in game. The file itself looks fine, but when replaced it looks like there's a patch of skin where the whites of his eye should be. Anyone have some insight on how to fix this? I didn't want to go too crazy on his eyes, just wanted to change them from blue to red.
All eyes should show up in DTW. Can you post the texture and/or screenshots of what's happening? Also, do you have the latest version of DTW?

Stupid question, how do I change the picture in the middle of Pokemon Stadium?
Open Pokemon Stadium in DTW (you can do this by first opening an ISO, and then choosing the stage file that's in it, or you can load just the stage file by itself if it's already been exported. You should find a pokeball in the list of textures. The only thing noteworthy about that texture is that whatever is at the very edges of it will be stretched across the rest of the stage's surface when it's rendered in-game.

DRGN

Technowizard
That's my problem, I didn't see a pokeball.All the other textures would show up though. DRGN DRGN
What file are you opening? Can you post it? The pokeball shows up as the first texture for me.
upload_2016-4-24_15-45-47.png

Also, you could make sure you're not filtering out any textures. If you don't know what I mean, you're probably not. There's a "Filtered Out" counter under the file details in the bottom right though.

Is there a different texture in yours at 0x3eba0?

Iceballz

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry I didn't answer you, it is GrPs.usd that I'm opening.The pokeball is supposed to be the first image but I just get "No Image Available".Also I'm pretty sure I'm not filtering out any textures.It's not showing any texture for it at the moment.

DRGN

Technowizard
I'm sorry I didn't answer you, it is GrPs.usd that I'm opening.The pokeball is supposed to be the first image but I just get "No Image Available".Also I'm pretty sure I'm not filtering out any textures.It's not showing any texture for it at the moment.
Sounds like there's something wrong with the file, like something with that texture got corrupt. Try getting a new copy of the file, or you can post the file here so I can look at it.

DRGN

Technowizard
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ktsm95qaooi5iza/GrPs.usd There's my Pokemon Stadium file

Edit: It might just be the fact that Macs are dumb because I tried it with other files from this thread too.The one I posted should be just the normal PS though.
Yeah, it looks like it might be something weird going on on Macs. That file seemed to work fine for me:
upload_2016-4-24_17-59-48.png

Sorry about that. :/ I don't have a Mac to test on, unfortunately, so I can't compile a Mac-specific build atm.

Did any textures at all show up? Or none?

Iceballz

Smash Journeyman
Warned for double posting?Also yeah, for most other stages.Almost all or if not maybe all stages work fine in DTW and their textures show up but not the Pokeballs in Pokemon Stadium.It's puzzling.Also it's alright

DRGN

Technowizard
Yeah, I just merged the posts together. If you could, please just edit previous posts if they're consecutive, rather than adding new ones. In some special cases, like for bumping an old thread, it can be OK, but otherwise just keeping immediate responses to one post is preferred.

Do other type _14 textures show up? Like the grass at 0x3e3a0 right under the pokeball in my screenshot (note that there are two; one's a type 14, the other is type 1)?

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
I'll make sure to do that for now on.Sorry, and yes I see them both.
Np.

Ok, that is really weird. I was starting to think I had it figured out, haha. Oh well, I might need to just get my hands on a Mac one of these days. Thanks for your help anyways though.

My only suggestion is to see if maybe you can borrow a PC to do more texture hacking. Or maybe look into picking one up for cheap on ebay or something. (If you have some technical skills, sometimes you can even find one that's broken and only requires a quick/simple fix for pretty cheap.)

Iceballz

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Shiftyy

Smash Cadet
You can't replace the whole file, as there are other codes and things specific to 20XX's CSS file (MnSlChr). You need to replace just the textures using DTW's DAT Texture Tree tab.

Also, you don't need to do them one at a time. Check out the ReadMe to find out about the "standard naming convention" and bulk texture imports.

This works on Mac? I don't know how much wine's stability fluctuates, but I should probably ask what version you're using.

All eyes should show up in DTW. Can you post the texture and/or screenshots of what's happening? Also, do you have the latest version of DTW?

Open Pokemon Stadium in DTW (you can do this by first opening an ISO, and then choosing the stage file that's in it, or you can load just the stage file by itself if it's already been exported. You should find a pokeball in the list of textures. The only thing noteworthy about that texture is that whatever is at the very edges of it will be stretched across the rest of the stage's surface when it's rendered in-game.
Got all the images into an imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/H22Bx

I also noticed his hair is a tad whacky but I haven't looked into it at all yet.

Iceballz

Smash Journeyman
What font is used for the Stage Names on the SSS?Also I may start posting Stage Textures, etc. once I feel comfortable with the result or when I get time.I already have a few I'm working on for a build.(I don't get much at all to work on them.)
Edit: Also, how do I change the video at beginning? I know how to replace it.But how do I convert the video to the proper format?

Last edited:
Top Bottom