• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

DRGN

Technowizard
I know this has probably been answered somewhere else, but I can't find it. Is there a way to set the transparency of a texture? I want to make some parts of marth sword completely invisible, but setting it transparent only makes it white like this

Do I have to edit the properties of the texture in the TPL files?
It depends on the model that the textures are attached to (sometimes there is no texture). Sometimes they're already transparent, in which case you can easily just make the texture transparent too. Other times, they're just opaque with some base color. What hex offset did you edit to make the sword disappear in your other post?

Hi people. I stopped making textures since I ran into a problem that nobody could help me with but I want to try one more time for good measure.

The problem: mipmaps

When you try to make a texture of YS there are some balls in front of the stage. These cannot be altered using the conventional methods because they change texture depending on the cameras distance to them.

After trying to use google, smashboards and so on i found that steelia old texture packs has the tools necessary to change the balls. The explanation he gives, which is nonexistant doesn't really help anyone do anything.

Dumping texures with dolphin gives you the balls in various sizes and resolutions.

You are given these files:

opening then gives this:

placements.txt:

What do these even mean / \ .

TCS Guide.txt:

I gotta tell you, I have no idea what the heck to make of this except location and type.

Theres also this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xruGSBHtQTk
The absence of voice or text makes it hard to understand, honestly my head hurts.

It's a real shame no one has decided to make a resonable tutorial for this on the forum. especially seeing as it's basically obligatory knowledge when retexturing Yoshis.

Im asking anyone who knows how to work with mipmaps to please make an understandable post where anyone with basic hacking knowledge can just go in, read the tutorial and copy the steps.

Thanks in advance.
I've been wanting to look into this, but I just haven't had the time. But I think the textures for each zoom level are probably right next to each other in the dat files. There may be multiple images for each mip-mapped texture. Each one is half the width/height of the last. I don't think they have image headers though. Or if they do, they're different than normal probably.

is there a way to get this on the original falco texture instead of blue?
Yeah, use the CCC (Character Color Converter) tab in DTW (DAT Texture Wizard).

upload_2016-3-3_18-24-24.png

Last edited:

SongOfStormz

Smash Rookie

I know this might not have to with textures exactly.. but could someone tell me how to get rid of these random particles on fountain of dreams?

Papanojohns

Smash Rookie
Reverse engineering is a brilliant idea. Good comment :)
Thanks :) this is my first day actually getting into texture hacking, but I have done other projects where just looking at what someone else did is the best solution

It depends on the model that the textures are attached to (sometimes there is no texture). Sometimes they're already transparent, in which case you can easily just make the texture transparent too. Other times, they're just opaque with some base color. What hex offset did you edit to make the sword disappear in your other post?
View attachment 99174
Someone else edited it to make it dissapear, I dunno :urg: Heres the PNG I edited, the area below is dedicated to the sword guard texture and I just tried to make it transparent and instead it came out white.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
After messing with some of the hex code I got the guard of the sword to disappear, but unfortunately it makes the part right below the blade to disappear too.

Why dont you try using an invisible texture for the guard.

Deg

Smash Cadet
I actually just solved it. It was pretty easy in hindsight.

Heres what i did:
Dump the textures using dolphin -> convert the image to tpl -> open the stage and one of the mipmap textures in a hex editor -> search for the code for the image in the stagefile from byte 0x40 of the image (use a couple lines to make sure its the right code ) -> edit the tpl to your liking -> copy data from 0x40 into where you found them in the stagefile -> repeat with all mipmap sizes.

worked like a charm.

much satisfaction

many happiness

Last edited:

Heketzu

Smash Rookie
NNID
Heketzu
3DS FC
0619-3983-6093
Skins Added to Main Post:
Stage Select Screen Cursor Pack 2 (25 total!)
Yoshi's Christmas Story
Jotaro Kujo
Kirby Ball Colors Pack
Green Feathers
Victini
Mew
Manaphy
Celebi
Blue and pink
Winter Yoshi's Story
Cotton Candy Doc
Autumn Sunset Yoshi's Story
Raiden
Swedish Captain Falcon
N64 How to Play
Adidas Falco
Peco Marth
Winter Dreamland
Eila and Sanya Stadium
Blue GG in Game! font
Dio Brando
Fantastic Fox For Fun Fast Fights
Randall
HB jiggs
Spider-man
Cpt. Samus
Samus Falcon
Zero Suit Samus
CLG Fox
Presidential Elections Pokémon Stadium
C9 Puff Crown

Skins that weren't added due to improper format:
Red Tint Fox (@MattYuk)
Fox Slayer (@Edaren)
C9 Peach (@Citricide)
C9 Puff (@Ceeb_116)
Karasuno Fox ( Heketzu Heketzu )
Brawl Blue Marth (@Killgore52)
Fixed the format on mine.

Pancake Jake

Smash Rookie
For anyone who makes skins I think a adult Simone from gurren lagann kin for marth would be sick or a leonidus from seven deadly sins skin for young link would be pretty cool too

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
Id recommend the netplay version of dolphin. It has fixes to it. go to smashladder.com and look at the melee guides.
7840 is outdated though, not sure why they haven't posted an update yet (there was some issue about how older versions handle inputs or something).

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
Ive got some strange things in the works
7840 is outdated though, not sure why they haven't posted an update yet (there was some issue about how older versions handle inputs or something).
The newest version has less input lag over netplay but it also has extra fixes for smash that make it better in general. (For smash)
for instance the FoD bug you have. You can always just use that version for melee and then swap to another for others.

Anutim

Smash Apprentice

The newest version has less input lag over netplay but it also has extra fixes for smash that make it better in general. (For smash)
for instance the FoD bug you have. You can always just use that version for melee and then swap to another for others.
Uhm, I think you're confusing me with the other guy.

SongOfStormz

Smash Rookie

Could you please PM me the link?

CSTL!?

Smash Cadet

Just some stuff I'm working on that I'm going to post hopefully on Friday or this weekend. I don't think there are enough Ice Climber textures so I'm making a few more tomorrow and Friday.

I'd love some feedback on these two though.

Last edited:

CSTL!?

Smash Cadet
This one looks great, but is the pink shadow in their clothes part of the texture or is it FD's lighting effects?
It may be FD but I'll go back and make sure that the jacket textures are as white as I can get them.

The Coach

Smash Cadet
It depends on what part of the body
Honestly whatever you could come up with would be amazing. Is it possible it put a logo anywhere? if not a purple falco with a nice jacket color (white probably) to match would be amazing

Edit: Okay so i looked into this some more. Apparently you can put an icon on his shirt so the twitch logo would go great there. In that case I'd say use judgement and to match him up then color wise what looks best. Thinking about it in my head I think a white shirt w/ the twitch logo, purple jacket, white boots and maybe a different purple for falco or the standard blue would look amazing.

Last edited:

SongOfStormz

Smash Rookie
Hey does anyone have a Rainbow FD file? I have been searching everywhere for a download...

< (changes colors like in this video)

It would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

YanPerez97

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-8240-0200
Switch FC
6728-0518-5684
Honestly whatever you could come up with would be amazing. Is it possible it put a logo anywhere? if not a purple falco with a nice jacket color (white probably) to match would be amazing

Edit: Okay so i looked into this some more. Apparently you can put an icon on his shirt so the twitch logo would go great there. In that case I'd say use judgement and to match him up then color wise what looks best. Thinking about it in my head I think a white shirt w/ the twitch logo, purple jacket, white boots and maybe a different purple for falco or the standard blue would look amazing.
good colors but could do right now would put the logo on the shirt and not on the jacket just put the logo on the jacket image would not look good

i'm sorry I speak spanish Google translator :p

Top Bottom