• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
Kind of a silly request..but could someone recolor the vanilla "GO!" to blue? That way it matches the blue "Ready, GAME!" that have been made in the past?

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
my question involves replacing the character textures of the extra skins of Fox/Falco/Captain/excetra. How do i replace these particular .dat files that have certain names with other .dat files that are under a certain name? say, a modified vanilla fox .dat replacing an L-pressed vanilla fox .dat. thank you in advance

also, how did achilles add places for these extra files? i would like to add character models for uncommonly used characters like pikachu, but i wouldn't like to completely replace these models textures.

DRGN

Technowizard
my question involves replacing the character textures of the extra skins of Fox/Falco/Captain/excetra. How do i replace these particular .dat files that have certain names with other .dat files that are under a certain name? say, a modified vanilla fox .dat replacing an L-pressed vanilla fox .dat. thank you in advance

also, how did achilles add places for these extra files? i would like to add character models for uncommonly used characters like pikachu, but i wouldn't like to completely replace these models textures.
Open your ISO in DAT Texture Wizard, and scroll to the characters section. It will show you the files and detail which is which.

They were added to the ISO by GCRebuilder, which is able to reconstruct the internal table of contents or FST (File System Table) of the ISO with new files (similar to the process currently required to rebuild an ISO to replace an existing file with a larger one). Free space to still keep the ISO under 1.36 GB was gained by removing other unnecessary files, primarily such as the 1P Mode ending movies, which are several megs each, * 25 files. And finally, switching around between them in-game is done by ASM code that achilles wrote for 20XX, which changes the name of the file the game wants to load, right before it's loaded.

Decipio-Carmen

Smash Apprentice

To replace an L-pressed vanilla fox, you must replace file "TyRoyR.dat" with any texture file for neutral fox. Go to:

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-20xx-melee-training-hack-pack-update-4-0-beta04.351221/

and expand the alternate costumes spoiler. You'll find a list of the alternate costumes and which file to replace. For example for Fox: TyRoyNR.dat for neutral, TyFoxR.dat for Orange, etc. If you notice, these are actually names of trophies. From what I understand, Achilles overwrote trophy files with costume data and wrote ASM code that uses these trophy files for textures when you press L. Not sure how you'd go about adding more alternate costumes though, you might want to ask Achilles in the 20XX thread.

Last edited:

Decipio-Carmen

Smash Apprentice
Decipio-Carmen Decipio-Carmen Great skins! I really like the Ichigo Marth skin, I think the black and red sword swing makes it look perfect, do you know where I could find that?
Thanks.

For the red and black sword swing, take a look at this thread.

http://smashboards.com/threads/changing-color-effects-in-melee.313177/

For the first color, I used black (00 00 00) and for the second color I used dark red (8B 00 00). Sadly though, this universally changes the sword swing colors for Marth. So white Marth would have this too. It also interferes with the 20XX alternate sword swing colors. AFAIK there's no way to have both colors in the sword swing be costume dependent... yet.

Last edited:

DSM01

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to get a custom stage select screen cursor (seen here) buuuut I'm incompetent... help? I want the "basic shine" cursor from DRGN's second cursor pack so I did ...\DRGN's SSS Cursor Pack 2\Basic Shine_MnSlMap.usd_0xdec0_14.png --> 0xdec0 written into MnSlMap.usd using DTW 3.1. Something happened but it's pretty funky and not the desired result. Also how do I modify the header and do I need to do stuff to MnSlMap.usd and .dat or just one of them? Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks in advance.

Bladeshard

Smash Rookie

Why does hitting my down air have the effect of the purple fire? What file is associated with this and how can I change it back to normal?

SuperColom64

Smash Rookie

Why does hitting my down air have the effect of the purple fire? What file is associated with this and how can I change it back to normal?
I'm pretty sure that's associated with Falco's PlFc.dat file. Just replace it with vanilla (default) Melee's PlFc.dat and that should fix it, let me know if it doesn't work.

Last edited:

Dinowaffles

Smash Cadet

DRGN

Technowizard

I just released an update to DTW. Fixes a lot of issues some people were running into, has much better palette support, and has some new features (such as being able to edit the color structure, and importing larger/smaller files into your ISO). So if there was anything you were stuck on in the past, give this a shot.

And don't forget that it has a character color converter! (This was in the last version, but I've still seen people ask about this sort of thing.) So you can use your red costume slot Link (PlLkRe) over one of his blue costume slots (PlLkBu), for example.

I'm trying to get a custom stage select screen cursor (seen here) buuuut I'm incompetent... help? I want the "basic shine" cursor from DRGN's second cursor pack so I did ...\DRGN's SSS Cursor Pack 2\Basic Shine_MnSlMap.usd_0xdec0_14.png --> 0xdec0 written into MnSlMap.usd using DTW 3.1. Something happened but it's pretty funky and not the desired result. Also how do I modify the header and do I need to do stuff to MnSlMap.usd and .dat or just one of them? Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks in advance.
Use the DAT Texture Tree tab to replace the texture. The Manual Replacement tab only modifies image data & palette data, so it didn't update the image data header with the different image type.

Last edited:

DSM01

Smash Apprentice
DRGN DRGN Thanks for the tip, I got it to work! Unfortunately it only works with DTW 3.1, not 4.0.

DRGN

Technowizard
DRGN DRGN Thanks for the tip, I got it to work! Unfortunately it only works with DTW 3.1, not 4.0.
Uhg. Ok, I found the problem. (such a tiny error....) Anyway, you can ignore the PM. But thanks.

I'll recompile/reupload the program tonight once I get home. ATM, this particular bug should only happen when importing a _14 type image. I of course tested that a bunch a week or two ago, but a few days ago I made a slight change, affecting all texture types, which broke things for only type _14, and I somehow didn't notice. :p

Papanojohns

Smash Rookie
I know this has probably been answered somewhere else, but I can't find it. Is there a way to set the transparency of a texture? I want to make some parts of marth sword completely invisible, but setting it transparent only makes it white like this

Do I have to edit the properties of the texture in the TPL files?

Deg

Smash Cadet
Hi people. I stopped making textures since I ran into a problem that nobody could help me with but I want to try one more time for good measure.

The problem: mipmaps

When you try to make a texture of YS there are some balls in front of the stage. These cannot be altered using the conventional methods because they change texture depending on the cameras distance to them.

After trying to use google, smashboards and so on i found that steelia old texture packs has the tools necessary to change the balls. The explanation he gives, which is nonexistant doesn't really help anyone do anything.

Dumping texures with dolphin gives you the balls in various sizes and resolutions.

You are given these files:

opening then gives this:

placements.txt:

What do these even mean / \ .

TCS Guide.txt:

I gotta tell you, I have no idea what the heck to make of this except location and type.

Theres also this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xruGSBHtQTk
The absence of voice or text makes it hard to understand, honestly my head hurts.

It's a real shame no one has decided to make a resonable tutorial for this on the forum. especially seeing as it's basically obligatory knowledge when retexturing Yoshis.

Im asking anyone who knows how to work with mipmaps to please make an understandable post where anyone with basic hacking knowledge can just go in, read the tutorial and copy the steps.

Thanks in advance.

MicroWade

Smash Rookie
I know this has probably been answered somewhere else, but I can't find it. Is there a way to set the transparency of a texture? I want to make some parts of marth sword completely invisible, but setting it transparent only makes it white like this

Do I have to edit the properties of the texture in the TPL files?

After messing with some of the hex code I got the guard of the sword to disappear, but unfortunately it makes the part right below the blade to disappear too.

Papanojohns

Smash Rookie
After messing with some of the hex code I got the guard of the sword to disappear, but unfortunately it makes the part right below the blade to disappear too.

I mean that will work for now, where in the hex code did you change it?

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Hi people. I stopped making textures since I ran into a problem that nobody could help me with but I want to try one more time for good measure.

When you try to make a texture of YS there are some balls in front of the stage. These cannot be altered using the conventional methods because they change texture depending on the cameras distance to them.

After trying to use google, smashboards and so on i found that steelia old texture packs has the tools necessary to change the balls. The explanation he gives, which is nonexistant doesn't really help anyone do anything.

Dumping texures with dolphin gives you the balls in various sizes and resolutions.

opening then gives this:

placements.txt:

TCS Guide.txt:

I gotta tell you, I have no idea what the heck to make of this except location and type.

Theres also this video:
The absence of voice or text makes it hard to understand, honestly my head hurts.

It's a real shame no one has decided to make a resonable tutorial for this on the forum. especially seeing as it's basically obligatory knowledge when retexturing Yoshis.

Im asking anyone who knows how to work with mipmaps to please make an understandable post where anyone with basic hacking knowledge can just go in, read the tutorial and copy the steps.

Thanks in advance.
Many people have done this including me, but I have absolutely no idea how I solved the problem.

Papanojohns

Smash Rookie

opening then gives this:

placements.txt:

TCS Guide.txt:

Theres also this video:

Thanks in advance.
Do the Retextured versions that are currently out have this problem? If not then you could possibly see what they did differently and/or just texture over the already modded ones possibly

Top Bottom