• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman
they did do that at EVO2014 but after Nintendo got involved, everybody stopped using modified versions of the game for big tournaments. Not sure if there is a EVO2014 build, but I know for a fact there is a BEAST V build somewhere for download
I've seen the beast V build, looked great :)
I haven't seen a build with evo logos plastered on everything but it wouldn't be very hard to make one on top of a normal 20XX root - unless you aren't interested in doing it yourself, rofl. It's not too hard.
Yeah its pretty easy I'm in fact working on a build for my highschool now, its just that the DTW is being wierd lately.

Here you go, sorry if there is something wrong with it I put it together really quickly.

Name: Purple Roy (replaces Blue)
Made By: Fakes
Download Link Here: https://www.mediafire.com/?50m78tty1cwpy4h
Great job getting that done so quickly! Looks great.

SnG | Skin

Smash Apprentice
I swapped these two peach skins so that they will replace their more respective color and be usable in teams. Also i added an out-of-frame texture that i forgot before for the ice peach.
@ Veggies Veggies You can just remove the old ones and throw these on if you'd like.

Name: Fire Peach (Replaces Neutral)
Made by: Skin
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/u536ritdqtgrbpg

Name: Ice peach (Replaces blue)
Made by: Skin
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/lg8skzb19t0h3l1

Last edited:

OmnipotentSpoon

Smash Cadet
Well I've been trying to figure the pokemon stadium platforms on and off for the last month and I'm drawing a blank. I've gone through the dat and gotten rid of everything that doesn't change the color on the platforms or crash the game upon loading the stage. So if anyone wants to try to figure it out themselves, here's a starting point. It does crash randomly sometimes, particularly with smash attacks and anytime bowser is played. Here's what it looks like now

And here's a download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/moe4vw40obkm544/GrPs.usd

Also there's a bunch of CF ## effects that change the color of the fireworks in the background from 22DF5-23B8F. I've also got a lot of notes on changing the other colors on the on the stage that I'll try to sort through and post

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
Considering PS2 in 20XX has blue platforms, you could compare your file to that file and see what's different

OmnipotentSpoon

Smash Cadet
Yeah, that's using Jorgasm's method, iirc, which loads the base platform texture instead of the normal texture. I'm trying to change them independently, and if that's accomplished then we can change the arrows and grey bars as well.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I put a few custom character textures, a new CSS and lots of custom map textures and I have so far, encountered three problems whilst playing 20XX after this:

1. I cannot taunt anymore as every time I press up on my d-pad with any character, it just freezes wherever it is. However, a frozen player can still be grabbed and thrown and when hit, they are still damaged by each hit.

2. The damage of player 2 constantly flickers to their actual damage when they are hurt and a random, rising and falling number when they are not being hurt.

3. Captain Falcon's last skin (maybe 5th or 6th) is shown as Ice Climbers on the CSS.
Read about the "Frame Counter" in the 20XX thread.

For the Yoshi thing, I have no idea. Try a new CSS and see if it still happens.

Fakes

Smash Apprentice
sort of a strange request

Yo a powerpuff grills skin pack for Falcon would be super clean with Blossom,Buttercup, and Bubbles and maybe a mojo jo jo skin. Could someone try to do these please?
Sugar, spice, and everything HYES!

Name: the Powerpuff Falcons Skin Pack (replaces Blue, Red, and Green respectively)
Made By: Fakes
Download Link Here: https://www.mediafire.com/?11o177whzqgo8pq

Mingo

Smash Cadet
Could someone please direct me to where i could find this....or if no one knows where to find it... This is my request because it looks DOPE AF!!!!!!!

Last edited:

SillyGoose

Master of QWOP
Just checked and added up all the downloads on my mediafire page. Over 1,500 dls in total. Holy **** I love you guys and gals.
I'm quite shocked its not more? I've only made 2 stages and a puff skin and i'm at almost 1000 (thanks for reminding me that you can see that info!). Anyway I think the improvement in your work is pretty evident.

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Alright so, I have a lot done with the Villager skin, I took 3 hats from Animal Crossing
and the orignal Ness hat.

The thing that stinks is, if you stand still, this will happen every 3 seconds:
If you move and fight this won't happen, but I don't know how to change this.

Sorry for the nose looking a bit odd, it is because the way the model is it messes with the texture.

Here it is, I will make changes if needed. (Maybe move the eyes up a bit? I want some opinions.)

Name: Villager Ness Pack.
Made By: LoserNerd
Download Link Here: https://www.mediafire.com/?79wni2ko7vw0rth
change eye textures by downloading from steelia's post in faq and changing the textures with dat texture wizard

SnG | Skin

Smash Apprentice
I'm quite shocked its not more? I've only made 2 stages and a puff skin and i'm at almost 1000 (thanks for reminding me that you can see that info!). Anyway I think the improvement in your work is pretty evident.
Im quite happy with it. I think my stuff is steadily getting better and hopefully it continues!

Soggymelons

Smash Rookie
Hi,

Been flipping through the 20xx hack pack page and noticed you can make custom skins, then I found my way here.

Looks like you guys have allot of cool skins, but not much in the way of Yoshi skin, but theirs is not much to work with anyway.
So I made a skin up real quick from that Yohsi's woolly world game.

Got a decent texture scale for the yarn, now I need to make the yarn texture repeatable. Then the colors need to be refined to a different shade's of green and red.

Also I can't seem to change the texture that goes on the white part of him as-well. There is also some blue leaking through from the same texture too.

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman
Hi,

Been flipping through the 20xx hack pack page and noticed you can make custom skins, then I found my way here.

Looks like you guys have allot of cool skins, but not much in the way of Yoshi skin, but theirs is not much to work with anyway.

Got a decent texture scale for the yarn, now I need to make the yarn texture repeatable. Then the colors need to be refined to a different shade's of green and red.

Also I can't seem to change the texture that goes on the white part of him as-well. There is also some blue leaking through from the same texture too.
I was thinking about doing that! Looks good keep it up!

OmnipotentSpoon

Smash Cadet
Hi,

Looks really good. The blue that's leaking through actually has nothing to do with the textures themselves, each texture has a certain color that it reflects.
In the melee toolkit you can change these pretty easily by using the tab labelled "nodes". You can open the first one after the header, for blue yoshi it's PlyYoshi5kBu_Share_joint. Then the JointNode, then each of the the JointDataNodes has a MaterialColorNode below the MaterialNode. If you click on the MaterialColorNode it'll show you some data on the texture. The box at offset 0x08 displays the reflected color for the corresponding texture. The JointDataNodes are numbered the same as the textures are shown, so the first JointDataNode corresponds to texture 1, second JointDataNode to texture 2, etc. However they go past the number of textures that are shown in the melee toolkit, I've always guessed that those correspond to textures that aren't shown by the melee toolkit and are in Steelia's packs but I haven't tested it.

Here's a picture to help

So that's the 10th JointDataNode, and the 10th texture is the side view of yoshi. If I change the reflected color to be 00ff00

This is what you get

You can see that his leg is reflecting a green color now. Also the numbering convention isn't always the case, so it's usually a good idea to look for all of the same blue color in the MaterialColorNodes and change them all. Like I tested the 14th JointDataNode and it changes his tail.

And if you change the reflected color to be 000000 then there will be no reflection. Which I tend to do when there's a texture that doesn't look like it'd actually reflect a color.
Hope this helps.

sterfrypie

Smash Rookie
Hey Guys this is a few of my first texture hacks if anyone's interested I will put the links up soon

TheLaw

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if there's a separate thread for reporting glitches, but I found an interesting one. I've downloaded two Peach costumes (Emo Peach and Miku Hatsune), and my friend and I were playing and he was pulling an unusual amount of special turnips, especially stitch face (i.e. at least 5 in one match, twice in one stock, and it happened several games in a row). When he went back to playing the normal Peach colors as well as the alternates that came with the 20xx pack, everything was normal. I will be posting this in two other threads.

VikingSteeez

Smash Cadet
And if you change the reflected color to be 000000 then there will be no reflection. Which I tend to do when there's a texture that doesn't look like it'd actually reflect a color.
Hope this helps.
Hey, so, If I wanted to take a texture that usually is completely matte, and make it shiny, how would I do that?

I'm trying to give Falco a leather jacket, and making it shine like one would be awesome. I used your advice to remove the shine from his legs, but when I go to the jacket's texture, expecting the hex to say 000000ff, it's already white instead (ffffffff). Is there another hex code somewhere that controls the intensity of reflections?

Out of curiosity, what does the -ff at the end of the hex colors mean?

thanks for your help!

Last edited:

OmnipotentSpoon

Smash Cadet
Hey, so, If I wanted to take a texture that usually is completely matte, and make it shiny, how would I do that?

I'm trying to give Falco a leather jacket, and making it shine like one would be awesome. I used your advice to remove the shine from his legs, but when I go to the jacket's texture, expecting the hex to say 000000ff, it's already white instead (ffffffff). Is there another hex code somewhere that controls the intensity of reflections?

Out of curiosity, what does the -ff at the end of the hex colors mean?

thanks for your help!
Not really. You can make it look a bit shinier but it won't be dynamic when moving the camera. The first two offsets are responsible for tinting the texture, here's an example with Falco's jacket, making it tinted green.

So to tint it green change them to 00ff00ff

Which then changes this

To this

So if you play around with the colors it can be better than nothing. Most of the time I end up leaving it alone though.

As to what the -ff means at the end of the color means. Well I'm not really sure about why it's there, I've always assumed it's just there to break up the parts. The full explanation about what the MaterialColorNode is reading is what's called a 4248 effect. For a 4248 effect the standard format goes:
AA AA AA FF BB BB BB FF CC CC CC FF DD DD DD DD 42 48 00 00
A - Color 1
B - Color 2
C - Reflected color
D - Transparency value
All the other values shown are, usually, the same for all 42 48 effects. So for the example I just gave with Falco's jacket it says offset 7F00. If you open PlFcNr.dat and go to offset 7F00 you'll see this

Which is just the full effect listing.

If you want to learn more about effects like this there's a stickied post, Changing Color Effects in Melee, about it with a lot more info. It's what you use in order to make stuff like the rainbow shine or alternate laser colors.

Last edited:

sterfrypie

Smash Rookie
Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Not really. You can make it look a bit shinier but it won't be dynamic when moving the camera. The first two offsets are responsible for tinting the texture, here's an example with Falco's jacket, making it tinted green.

So to tint it green change them to 00ff00ff

Which then changes this

To this

So if you play around with the colors it can be better than nothing. Most of the time I end up leaving it alone though.

As to what the -ff means at the end of the color means. Well I'm not really sure about why it's there, I've always assumed it's just there to break up the parts. The full explanation about what the MaterialColorNode is reading is what's called a 4248 effect. For a 4248 effect the standard format goes:
AA AA AA FF BB BB BB FF CC CC CC FF DD DD DD DD 42 48 00 00
A - Color 1
B - Color 2
C - Reflected color
D - Transparency value
All the other values shown are, usually, the same for all 42 48 effects. So for the example I just gave with Falco's jacket it says offset 7F00. If you open PlFcNr.dat and go to offset 7F00 you'll see this

Which is just the full effect listing.

If you want to learn more about effects like this there's a stickied post, Changing Color Effects in Melee, about it with a lot more info. It's what you use in order to make stuff like the rainbow shine or alternate laser colors.
Not sure if you know this or not, but here is how to find this type of data for any texture (as long as you know the offset for the texture -> Steelia's packs).

Capture.PNG

In the above picture, the line following the texture offset pointer is 0x00400040 = 0xXXXXYYYY = Pixel dimensions X x Y

The jacket texture is 64x64 pixels and 64 in hex = 0x40.

The line after this is the texture type. 0x0e = decimal 14 = _14 CMPR image

I think Jorgasms already talked about this, though, so you probably already know this.

@ VikingSteeez VikingSteeez the FF at the end normally refers to the alpha value. FF = opaque, 00 = transparent, and values in between. But idk if it does anything with the 4248 format.

Last edited:

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman
Nice. To make you images visible on the page, you can click on the 'image' thumbnail where all the text options are, then paste the image link :)

Top Bottom