• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
i need some help. i was looking at Mang0s stream and his fox and falco skins had diffrent shines and lazers. plz?
Effects thread.
http://smashboards.com/threads/changing-color-effects-in-melee.313177/

Edit: Nevermind, you got an answer already. I wish Smashboards would auto show new posts. :I
:phone:

Can anyone help me out. I want to make my own Character Select Screen and, stock icons, and images where the character is shown when selected. How can I do this? I only know how to make character textures.
You'll need to dump the textures with Dolphin and inject them into files (CSPs are in MnSlChr.usd) after editing them. DRGN wrote a program to help with injecting these kinds of textures. It's in the Melee Workshop.

Last edited:

Mr_Buttsavage17

Smash Rookie
I will pay someone to make my CSS and PCS's and Icons. I already have made on photoshop what I want it to look like.

mooki

Smash Apprentice
Mine looks terrible. Not sure why the colors look so bad.

Poor fox ;__;

Part of it's because I couldn't get the images down to the correct resolution and still have them look nice.

Original:

Vs.

Right size:

Last edited:

Fakes

Smash Apprentice
So this one was more of a personal thing for myself, because I'm a huge craft beer fan. Regardless, I figured I'd share it with you guys. I've been going in lately!

This was designed with Stone Brewery's Ruination IPA in mind:

Name: Stone Brewing Mario (replaces Blue)
Created By: Fakes
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/qnaty2cof28enun/StonePlMrBu.dat

(also sorry if people don't like that this black/grey skin replaces blue, but it was the only mario I didn't already have a texture for on my personal build.)

AndySSBM

Smash Cadet
You wanna do it? How much do you want? Don't go crazy or anything i'm not rich. I have photo shopped what it is I want, I can send you the image and the photo shop file I have with it you can work with.
No guarantees, but if you give me the photos I'll do what I can; it's not difficult.

Big D Squirrels

Smash Rookie
Would anyone be willing to do a version of pokemon stadium where instead of the pokeball there's the starfox logo? I would do it myself but linux doesn't get along with the tools provided.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
I'm going to be in graphic design in High School next year and was wondering if that could help me get into texture hacking. I wanted to make a couple hacks of colors that are famously recognized as that player's color. A couple of ideas I had was an aMSa logo on red Yoshi's shell and a MVG_league cape on black Marth.

Mr_Buttsavage17

Smash Rookie
I'm going to be in graphic design in High School next year and was wondering if that could help me get into texture hacking. I wanted to make a couple hacks of colors that are famously recognized as that player's color. A couple of ideas I had was an aMSa logo on red Yoshi's shell and a MVG_league cape on black Marth.
I doubt that will help you at all, texture hacking is easy and it's the same for every game basically.

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
I doubt that will help you at all, texture hacking is easy and it's the same for every game basically.
I've been in a graphics design class this year and it will help you learn some basic principles about graphics, many of which can be applied to texture hacking. Learning graphics design will help you, plus it's fun. :p

Also, texture hacking is not as easy as it sounds and it's NOT the same for every game. For example, Smash 64 doesn't have a lot of textures as most of them are colored polygons. Changing those is annoying. Melee uses TPL files (and other formats), which are annoying to crack and have an alpha layer that is causes problems on some textures. Brawl hacks are the simplest since they use pngs and we have dedicated programs (BrawlBox) for it, but they can still be a challenge to actually design something that sits on the model right without knowing how the texture is mapped out on the model. Don't call something 'easy' when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

CeLL

Smash Lord
I've been in a graphics design class this year and it will help you learn some basic principles about graphics, many of which can be applied to texture hacking. Learning graphics design will help you, plus it's fun. :p

Also, texture hacking is not as easy as it sounds and it's NOT the same for every game. For example, Smash 64 doesn't have a lot of textures as most of them are colored polygons. Changing those is annoying. Melee uses TPL files (and other formats), which are annoying to crack and have an alpha layer that is causes problems on some textures. Brawl hacks are the simplest since they use pngs and we have dedicated programs (BrawlBox) for it, but they can still be a challenge to actually design something that sits on the model right without knowing how the texture is mapped out on the model. Don't call something 'easy' when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.
Brawl actually uses TPLs too. The reason Brawl hacking is so easy is because so much work has been put into it, otherwise it's pretty similar to Melee.

SLUGS

Smash Apprentice
Hey wondering if somebody can help me out here... for some reason when I edit the .png file for the sides of purple shamus' shin... if I want to change the color of the stripe (shown in link to picture below) it takes a random spot from that stripe and puts it down the middle of the shin... is there anyway to fix this? https://www.dropbox.com/s/eb0wmlvrcq5edm5/GALE01-45.png?dl=0

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Hey wondering if somebody can help me out here... for some reason when I edit the .png file for the sides of purple shamus' shin... if I want to change the color of the stripe (shown in link to picture below) it takes a random spot from that stripe and puts it down the middle of the shin... is there anyway to fix this? https://www.dropbox.com/s/eb0wmlvrcq5edm5/GALE01-45.png?dl=0
That is just the way the texture is mapped to the model. I'm sure it's possible to change it through hex editing but I have no idea how

SLUGS

Smash Apprentice
That is just the way the texture is mapped to the model. I'm sure it's possible to change it through hex editing but I have no idea how
I figured the same but hopefully someone knows! Very curious as to why they decided to map it that way...

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
So, I made my first texture hack and I'm pretty content about the results. However I have some "alpha layer" textures (those for relief I believe) showing and I don't know how to change them yet. I'm always all ears for improvement.

Name: Team Rocket Falcon (Replaces Gray)
Made By: antvibe8
Download Link : http://www.mediafire.com/download/g4q69ip54r57plr/Team+Rocket+Falcon.rar

Fakes

Smash Apprentice
Okay guys my brain hurts. Take a look at the Marth Skin on the first page that is named DPKR Marth. On the back of the cape there is a star, but I can not figure out how they put that on there. I've never messed with a Marth skin before, but after taking a look at the texture files I still could not find the star anywhere. Anybody know what's up?

CeLL

Smash Lord
Okay guys my brain hurts. Take a look at the Marth Skin on the first page that is named DPKR Marth. On the back of the cape there is a star, but I can not figure out how they put that on there. I've never messed with a Marth skin before, but after taking a look at the texture files I still could not find the star anywhere. Anybody know what's up?
Melee Toolkit doesn't have all the textures for every character. See DRGN's texture hacking guide.

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
Okay, so I'm doing another texture project right here and I have a big problem.
Basically what I want to do is change Fox's white color jacket by a blue denim texture, and I cannot change it without removing the outlines of the default textures (outlines I need because I will recolor them somehow).
I am using CS6, how can I do this ?

EDIT: Well the results aren't that bad, check this out

Last edited:

Sly_

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK ON A NASTY DUNK...
does anyone know how to get custom textures working on netplay (652)?

whenever i play online everything reverts to default :(

Sly_

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK ON A NASTY DUNK...
You're doing something wrong. Very little idea what it could be though because you provided little information.
the game runs fine normally, all the textures show up and global netplay settings as well as recommended dolphin settings are on. when i host or connect with someone else, the game runs as if i hadn't installed any textures. i dont know how much more info i can give.

CeLL

Smash Lord
the game runs fine normally, all the textures show up and global netplay settings as well as recommended dolphin settings are on. when i host or connect with someone else, the game runs as if i hadn't installed any textures. i dont know how much more info i can give.
You must have multiple Melee isos in your directory, and when you do netplay it's picking the first one in its list with the game code GALE01 and version byte 0x02, which happens to be one with no textures. Same thing happens with 20XX, and it's shocking how many people ask why they're desyncing and then deny that 20XX was loading on their side, and then that ends up being the issue lol

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Okay, so I'm doing another texture project right here and I have a big problem.
Basically what I want to do is change Fox's white color jacket by a blue denim texture, and I cannot change it without removing the outlines of the default textures (outlines I need because I will recolor them somehow).
I am using CS6, how can I do this ?

EDIT: Well the results aren't that bad, check this out

This is what I used to do.

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 I'll test your method.

Basically, what I've been doing is:

Image->Settings->Vibrancy (Vibrancy -100~100/Saturation 0) then, on a separate window where I have the denim texture, Edition->Use as a Pattern. After that back on the character texture, right click on the layer, Blending options, Pattern incrustation (Mode: Product), I use my texture as pattern and set the scale.

My version of cs6 isn't english, I just translated the menus.

Last edited:

Fakes

Smash Apprentice
@ krvntn krvntn doing the multiple layers thing just seems like the best idea to me. I cheated once by using the "Background Eraser Tool" to remove all of the non-shadows (or in your case creases) from a texture, then I desaturated that layer so all that was left would be the color of a shadow, the finally put that layer on top of a layer of a solid color and the shadows stayed. This is by no means the best way to do this, just the easiest for me. Gotta remember that you can get away with a lot once the skin is actually in game or dolphin

hopefully these pics help:

without shadow layer -

with shadow layer-

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
@ Fakes Fakes your method have been very useful, I will be using that in addition to my own "techniques". However, Achilles' one is way simplier and clean imo.

I have a question: How far can we go with vertex modding right now ? How could I start making some ? Will this implies making models myself ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom