• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

CeLL

Smash Lord
I use Dios Mios Lite and blue pokemon stadium works. That's why it was released that way - because I never knew it would be a problem.
Out of curiosity how did you fix it for 4.0? Does it just not not happen if you use an arbitrary extension instead of dat?

Mr_Buttsavage17

Smash Rookie
I just purchases the new 20XX tournament edition, well I pre-ordered it anyway. Is there ever going to be a version to load with usb? So I can still use alternate textures? If so where can I get that?

Mr_Buttsavage17

Smash Rookie
I'm sure someone has already asked this before but, How would I go about making a custom css? I have melee toolkit. And I have already made a (i'll be it sloppy) version of what I want on photoshop.

Dr.Pr.Mr.

Smash Cadet
I made a couple of these, but i am having trouble embedding working photos...

Last edited:

Foxco

Smash Cadet
is it possible for someone to make a fox skin based off the kyuubi from naruto?

Dr.Pr.Mr.

Smash Cadet
Don't know if that's a problem with them or just me.
Sorry im having problems getting my images up, and i dont want to upload all of these, and then just have to redo them

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
The images don't work for me either. I tried using Google Docs to host images like that too a while back, but it doesn't work from that page. If you want to host with Google, you'll need to go to the page you got these links from, then right-click and open the image in a new tab, then get the link from that tab. Kind of a hassle. That's why I use photobucket or mediafire for images.

Scratch that. You can't use 20XX toggles in special melee.
Don't know if this is too late, but, all you need is debug mode (found here). Once you've set your game mode to 'DEVELOP', the whole game is set in that mode (meaning you don't have to start a match through it, you can back out to the main menu and go whereever). That will allow you to get rid of the hud (stocks/time/percent). Then just go to the invisible special melee mode as others suggested, start the match, and press start (to freeze the game), press and hold X, and press down on the d-pad (keep pressing down if you want to get rid of the stage background too). If you search on Google you can find more debug mode controls. And don't forget about Dolphin savestates so you can jump right back to some point without having to set everything up twice.

Been working on some textures using both the toolkit as well as the DAT texture wizard, and I noticed that the melee toolkit causes some pretty severe degradation to the image files when they are converted and placed into the DAT files. The DAT texture wizard seems to have a small amount of degradation by making things more blurry, but with less artifacts/incorrect colors. I recommend anyone making any texture modifications beyond hue/vibrance changes to use the DAT texture wizard instead of the melee toolkit.
What image types did you test?

Last edited:

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
Alright, so I've been messing around with Melee Toolkit and I've been able (or so I think) to replace an entire skin by myself using the raw textures made by MachRiderZ (did I get this correct ?). Something that I didn't understand is that I found grayscale textures in the folder I dowloaded, what am I supposed to do with these ? I tried checking some other falcon files using the software but I didn't find anything.

And image if you don't know what I mean:

Name: HD Blue Falcon (Replaces Blue)
Made By: Textures by MachRiderZ, ported to blue by me
Download Link : http://www.mediafire.com/download/wt6h56t6im5g2r4/HD+Blue.rar
But I feel something's off with this Captain. Anyway you can download it and if you can tell me if it has any problems it'd be great.

I also found a missing Falco texture :

Name: White Falco
Made By : ???
Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rmrdw5qfl7a6350/White+Falco+(Red).rar

And an image that goes with the Ho-Oh texture, since it seems to be broken :

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Alright, so I've been messing around with Melee Toolkit and I've been able (or so I think) to replace an entire skin by myself using the raw textures made by MachRiderZ (did I get this correct ?). Something that I didn't understand is that I found grayscale textures in the folder I dowloaded, what am I supposed to do with these ? I tried checking some other falcon files using the software but I didn't find anything.

And image if you don't know what I mean:

Name: HD Blue Falcon (Replaces Blue)
Made By: Textures by MachRiderZ, ported to blue by me
Download Link : http://www.mediafire.com/download/wt6h56t6im5g2r4/HD Blue.rar
But I feel something's off with this Captain. Anyway you can download it and if you can tell me if it has any problems it'd be great.

I also found a missing Falco texture :

Name: White Falco
Made By : ???
Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rmrdw5qfl7a6350/White Falco (Red).rar

And an image that goes with the Ho-Oh texture, since it seems to be broken :
Download Steelia's blue captain falcon texture dumps, which gives every texture for that costume. Melee Toolkit misses some, and that should solve questions as to where those came from. Steelia also gives the placements of each file within PlCaBu so then just use DAT Texture Wizard to put them in the file. Go to the Melee Hacks and You thread to get a link to Steelia's dumps if you don't already have it.

I think Veggies already converted that texture, btw. But all his other ones still need converted!
This is the first texture I've ever made, and I could use a little feedback. Obviously some of the colors are a bit off, any tips?

Name: King Kai Training Mario (replaces Yellow)
Created by: Fakes
download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/zc81lwl199af78h/PlMrYe.dat
Ha, I like this! Good job.
Hi, I just made this one on my spare time. Just a black eagle, with a peruvian touch (on chest), lol.

I also like to mention that I figure out the reason of why the texture wasn't coming out as all black but slightly blue specially when moving the camera around. I believe the reason for this is because on the material color node at offset 0x08 there's a value that probably corresponds to ambient lighting color value. I think this is the value that the game uses to paint kind of a light shadow color over the character at certain angles. I figured this out because the hex value 0080ccff that was there for each texture was a light blue color just like regular falco. You can use this: http://www.rgbtohex.net/hextorgb/ to figure out the color for each value. I believe this is a 16bit value 4bits for each color and last one represents the alpha channel.

View attachment 42408
Name: Black eagle [PiFcRe]
Made By:Hell aka Oskurito
Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/xg8a2v82rjelysw/PlFcRe.dat
Can you go into more detail about material color nodes/where exactly these are in Falco's costume files?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Can you go into more detail about material color nodes/where exactly these are in Falco's costume files?
The nodes that correspond to material color are at about the same location at the texture is, meaning the same index.

For example, falco's head/red eye texture is number 19, if you count from 1 to 19 from the first JointDataNode you'll have the MaterialNode that corresponds to it. Then, on that MaterialNode if you go to the MaterialColorNode, the third value (the value at 0x08) corresponds to the color of the lighting that's used for that texture.

I figured this out kind of by intuition, because the value that was there corresponded to a light blue color that always persisted no matter how dark I changed the color of the texture. Here are some images that hopefully can clear everything for you, just in case.

2.png

1.png

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
The nodes that correspond to material color are at about the same location at the texture is, meaning the same index.

For example, falco's head/red eye texture is number 19, if you count from 1 to 19 from the first JointDataNode you'll have the MaterialNode that corresponds to it. Then, on that MaterialNode if you go to the MaterialColorNode, the third value (the value at 0x08) corresponds to the color of the lighting that's used for that texture.

I figured this out kind of by intuition, because the value that was there corresponded to a light blue color that always persisted no matter how dark I changed the color of the texture. Here are some images that hopefully can clear everything for you, just in case.

View attachment 46506
View attachment 46507
Interesting stuff!

fix all your formatting, look at other skins in the main post for examples

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 alright dude I'll check this out. Thanks.

And yes Veggies ported it to neutral, but I wanted it to go over blue so... Anyway I'll try to port the other textures made by MachRiderZ.
About the grayscale textures, aren't those used to put some relief on the models ?

Dr.Pr.Mr.

Smash Cadet
Interesting stuff!

fix all your formatting, look at other skins in the main post for examples
I'm kinda new to this, can you give me some examples on where I need to fix coding. Also does this go for all of my posts.
it would be appreciated much.

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
I'm kinda new to this, can you give me some examples on where I need to fix coding. I know the hands and chest plate are off on orange math, ill mess with that to fix it. Also does this go for all of my posts.
it would be appreciated much.
By formatting I mean

skin picture here
Name:
Made By:
Download Link Here:

put the color it replaces somewhere in there too

thnx cell

Last edited:

Mr_Buttsavage17

Smash Rookie
Can anyone help me out. I want to make my own Character Select Screen and, stock icons, and images where the character is shown when selected. How can I do this? I only know how to make character textures.

Top Bottom