• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

kanbaru

Smash Rookie
I asked before but I'll never give up

If there are any Fire Emblem fans is there any chance anyone could make an Epharim skin for Marth?

it's my dream skin so I'm always gonna hope

imgbyo

Smash Cadet
I asked before but I'll never give up

If there are any Fire Emblem fans is there any chance anyone could make an Epharim skin for Marth?

it's my dream skin so I'm always gonna hope
Making such a skin for Marth would be tricky as there is no 3d model dumped of him to assist the re texture. But i'll mess around see what happens :p

JFLLY

Smash Rookie
does anybody know about css textures only being compatible with previous versions of 20xx/melee?
because the css textures from the very first page no longer work with my 20xx, and i really like the 8bit one
any ideas?

PrinceJohn

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
PRJN#560
does anybody know about css textures only being compatible with previous versions of 20xx/melee?
because the css textures from the very first page no longer work with my 20xx, and i really like the 8bit one
any ideas?
That file has had changes to it for the different versions of 20XX, if you want to use it, you can export the css textures using DAT and then import them into a 4.06 MnSlChr. You can do it all once think. If you do it, re-upload it.

JFLLY

Smash Rookie
That file has had changes to it for the different versions of 20XX, if you want to use it, you can export the css textures using DAT and then import them into a 4.06 MnSlChr. You can do it all once think. If you do it, re-upload it.
so what happens is that it says that "an image type wasn't found for the following images" even though the textures say _9.png

TyroKith

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I just have a couple small questions. Sorry, I'm very new to all of this.

So I was hosting a fest last night at my place. There were 4 of us and we were just going to random hacked stages (I have several favorites on top of the legal ones) from 20XX 4.06 and playing teams. One guy insisted that Return to Dream Land (Night Mode) had lag, possibly due to the shadows. Before this I had only played on this stage 1v1, but I thought this assertion was most likely false because why would you include a laggy stage when fans have gone out of their way to fix FoD? Is there any merit to what this guy was saying?

I've also been meaning to replace the CSS with this one from the front page.

http://i.imgur.com/lGy5ZI3.jpg

Currently I use 20XX's settings to change the colors of the border and backgrounds. If I replace the CSS with the one above, can I still use my custom color selection? I tried doing this before but couldn't get the game to load and had to revert to vanilla.

Thanks!

JFLLY

Smash Rookie
are you changing the background color and border of the loading screen itself or the icons, because that makes a differnece

Hey guys, I just have a couple small questions. Sorry, I'm very new to all of this.

So I was hosting a fest last night at my place. There were 4 of us and we were just going to random hacked stages (I have several favorites on top of the legal ones) from 20XX 4.06 and playing teams. One guy insisted that Return to Dream Land (Night Mode) had lag, possibly due to the shadows. Before this I had only played on this stage 1v1, but I thought this assertion was most likely false because why would you include a laggy stage when fans have gone out of their way to fix FoD? Is there any merit to what this guy was saying?

Currently I use 20XX's settings to change the colors of the border and backgrounds. If I replace the CSS with the one above, can I still use my custom color selection? I tried doing this before but couldn't get the game to load and had to revert to vanilla.

Thanks!

So what might happenen to you, might be the same problem that I encountered. the CSSs from the front page were made when 20xx was in like version 3.01 or something like that. this makes them incompatible with the current version unless you try to import them into a new MnSlCr.usd this means that in order to use that CSS you have to convert it like i said above. look at Prince John and I's posts above
hope that will help

Last edited by a moderator:

DRGN

Technowizard
so what happens is that it says that "an image type wasn't found for the following images" even though the textures say _9.png
Yeah, you might notice there have been a few posts on this recently in the DTW thread. A simple workaround is explained here.

Thanks!
Yeah, there may be some merit to it, but I don't know how much. That stage is a fully custom stage, remastered in Brawl by Theytah, imported into Melee by zankyou, and then modified by Achilles. It likely still has a lot more polygons than Melee's original Dreamland, and would thus be more intensive to run. However, it's hard to say at what point such a performance change might be noticeable, and we don't have any benchmarking tools yet to test that.

As for the CSS question, it's basically just as PrinceJohn and JFLLY said. Also, it sounds like you might be using GCR. If you use DTW to do imports, it'll warn you if a CSS file is incompatible with your version of 20XX.

JFLLY

Smash Rookie
DRGN DRGN and PrinceJohn PrinceJohn

I can't figure out how to remove the pallete from the images that I have for my css, so my question to you is what image editors do you use?

also TyroKith TyroKith
you might need to turn on auto palete replacement on DWT which is one of the options for when you are going to add in your textures

StagesWhenPls

Smash Cadet
I was playing on 20XX with the stages textures on random and I noticed something different about the Mario Party Battlefield's lighting. All the character's looked brighter and more vibrant on it then on default Battlefield and the other Battlefield textures. So I transferred the textures from the Aesthetic Battlefield skin onto the Mario Party one to see if the lighting changes stayed, and they did.
Here's the normal lighting
And here's the Mario Party Battlefield lighting
Does anyone know what causes this change?
Download to Aesthetic Battlefield with brighter lighting: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4jhj36v9mkjruot/GrNBa+Aesthetic.dat

Last edited:

StagesWhenPls

Smash Cadet
I was playing on 20XX with the stages textures on random and I noticed something different about the Mario Party Battlefield's lighting. All the character's looked brighter and more vibrant on it then on default Battlefield and the other Battlefield textures. So I transferred the textures from the Aesthetic Battlefield skin onto the Mario Party one to see if the lighting changes stayed, and they did.
I think this could help a lot with darker Battlefield textures like Ancient Battlefield because it lets darker skins pop out more

Download to Ancient Battlefield with the brighter lighting: http://www.mediafire.com/file/p00seyn13sszp17/GrNBa+Ancient.dat

Last edited:

Pure Oblivion

Smash Rookie
Can anyone make me a css where on the port door it says 20XX is replaced with a shine? Its a small request I ask because it seems extremely difficult thing for me to do. Thanks to whoever does this

imgbyo

Smash Cadet
Can anyone make me a css where on the port door it says 20XX is replaced with a shine? Its a small request I ask because it seems extremely difficult thing for me to do. Thanks to whoever does this
Here.

Replace the half door in "Character Select Screen (English)" with DTW it's near the top.

DRGN

Technowizard
DRGN DRGN and PrinceJohn PrinceJohn

I can't figure out how to remove the pallete from the images that I have for my css, so my question to you is what image editors do you use?

also TyroKith TyroKith
you might need to turn on auto palete replacement on DWT which is one of the options for when you are going to add in your textures
I use Gimp for image editing. You can remove a palette in that by opening up the image, go to Image -> Mode, and change it from Indexed to RGB. Then go to File -> Export As... to save it.

It doesn't sound like TyroKith TyroKith needs to change the Regenerate Invalid Palettes option, from what he was describing. That's used in cases where an image has a palette which is too large.

Download to Aesthetic Battlefield with brighter lighting: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4jhj36v9mkjruot/GrNBa+Aesthetic.dat
Stage lighting on characters (also affects some parts of some stages) is contained in the map_plit node of stage files. Afaik this isn't defined much anywhere though, besides a little here.

I know @Achilles1515 was looking into these in the past when studying lighting, but I don't know how much more he might have pinned down the structures.

Cerbious

Smash Rookie
Hello, looking for a mod where foxs attacks leave off that purple mist which mewtwo can perform. Was wondering if that could be put on all characters?/Can the purple become another colour?
please let me know anyone out there

Uzzi

Smash Cadet
Hello, looking for a mod where foxs attacks leave off that purple mist which mewtwo can perform. Was wondering if that could be put on all characters?/Can the purple become another colour?
please let me know anyone out there
https://smashboards.com/threads/changing-color-effects-in-melee.313177/page-6#post-16892325

The purple mist is the darkness effect, similar to fire or lightning on attacks. Theres probably more info about darkness and different colors in the linked thread

SLSH14

Smash Rookie
I've been playing around with making my own textures recently and wanted to know if anyone knows if there is a way to make a logo on fox's back asymmetrical. The texture on fox's back is mirrored so it seems impossible but I thought I'd ask to be sure. Thanks

Polished_

Smash Rookie
A lot of marths preview skins have altered sword trail colors but none of them come with it and then the trail defaults to blue marth, which looks silly. I found a thread about changing the colors but it doesn't make anything clear. Is there a concise guide or video on how to change the colors anywhere?

Michael Ashby

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
GIN#752
Color changing options are in the melee effect color changing thread. Otherwise there's a setting for Marth's trail color in 20XX

LuigiNoob546

Smash Rookie
So I Just Want The Basic Fox Texture But i Can't Find It Lol Its Easier To Find A Custom SKin then The Actual Texture

DRGN

Technowizard
How do I change the leaf textures and remove Dedede in Dreamland?
DAT Texture Wizard. And if they don't show up in there, you'll have to use an older method of texture hacking, explained here: How to Hack Any Texture. It could also help to post the textures (for example since there are different leaf textures you might be referring to), and their offsets when you find them.

Does anyone know where the values for Falcons visor is? I want to make the visor on Green Ranger Falcon completely black like this costume https://modulous.net/mod/969/SNES Falcon Antvibe8 Edition
https://smashboards.com/threads/official-melee-texture-hack-thread.361190/page-91#post-21222454

Gehis514

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4004 9260 8249
Does anyone happen to know how to change the color of the purple, flashing lights that move from one side of the stage to the other on battlefield?

Heres a visual of what i want to change

GALE01-1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

0Frames

Smash Cadet
I understand that, but i don't even know the first thing about changing it.
open your iso, doubleclick the battlefield dat to get it open in the texture tree, select the third texture from the top (offset= 0x34e40), click on the properties tab on the right, click on one of the 4 little trees, the two colors you want to change are at the very bottom stored as hex values with two zeros at the end, default are c1=ff7fff00 c2=ff00ff00

there are 4 because the texture is used in 4 spots, the floating platforms plus the main platform. you can change them individually.

Last edited:
Top Bottom