• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

FourStar

Smash Ace
Are they even going to make a new tier list because i feel like the metagame has changed a little with the characters in the past three years

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
nothing can be cuter than real life fool that's where your notions of cuteness come from.

representing OG real life cats. :dazwa:

DAMMIT COMATOSE, YOU RUINED THE CAT AVATAR STREAK.

Shame on you.
Noooooo!!!! I have brought dishonor to my name!!!! How can I live with myself!!!! *side bs off the edge of FD*
LOL comatose changed his avatar.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Ahem, in all honesty, I think the tier list should be as follows, and this is quite fair, too:

S: Marth, Falco, Peach, Sheik
A: Fox, Ganondorf, Doc Mario, Jigglypuff, Ice Climbers, Pikachu, Link
B: Luigi, Mario
C: Captain Falcon, Samus, Donkey Kong
D: Mewtwo, Young Link, Roy, Zelda
E: Bowser, Yoshi, Pichu, Mr. Game and Watch, Ness, Kirby

As well, I can give reasonable information as to why they can be so high or so low.
-Marth is best due to his fast attacks, great counters, great recovery tactics, and perfect combo starting and ending ability. His attacks can also surpass most in speed, and his air game is one of the best in the game, if not the best. He can also be great at edgeguarding and GIMPing.
-Pikachu is much higher because of his great edgeguarding, GIMPing and potential KO ability. He also has amazing air game, making for the top 3 best in the game, other than Marth and Jigglypuff. Pikachu also has powerful smash attacks that have great knockback.
-Link is high tier because he has much potential, or in fact, actual ability, to go high because of the best edgeguarding in the game, best semi-spike, easy combo starts, fast dash attack, and high KO ability.
-Doctor Mario is high because of his ability that surpass most characters. His smash attacks can give distance and stun, as well as his DownB can be useful for escapes, furthermore, his F-air, when compared to Mario's, is much more powerful, so is his D-air.
-Ganondorf is high due to his fast, powerful attacks, and the fact that, even though he is not a good jumper (that's what we thought, though), he can still juggle and combo characters to the player's delight.
-Captain Falcon is low due to a variety of things, including his attack strength, his miscalculation with run and jump, his fast-falling speed, his attack speed on the ground, easily juggled and comboed. BUT, he does have some good things including the Knee Smash, Falcon Punch and Falcon Kick recovery. He also has a great recovery.
-Samus is low due to floatiness, easy combo due to weight, slow, weak, aerial attacks, horrible UpSmash, and weak recovery. That doesn't say that she isn't good. She can have quick succession with her Down Smash and Side Smash, as well as her UTilt, DTilt and STilt.
-Mewtwo is on the top of D because he has the fastest succession of Smash Attacks in the game. He also has good KO ability, good combo ability, and as well, a great recovery and escape method. He also has the best throws in the game, making it hard for opponents to stay in the arena at high percentages. However, he lacks speed and is more of a strategical character.
-Pichu is higher than the other 3 because, unlike them, he can actually be good. He might have some weak attacks, is the lightest character, easy to KO, and small range, BUT he has a tiny hitbox, making him hard to kill. As well, he has some of the faster succession of attacks, a strong SideB, a good DownB (if used without hitting Pichu), and a good semi-spike. He also has some good combo ability.

This is more reasonable than I could make it. Like this if you agree, quote and comment if you have any disagreement or change idea.
edit: Eh, thought this was on the same page, oh well lol.

Sorry but this is very bad and wrong. What are these reasons? Mewtwo has fast smash attacks? What about Falco's usmash which is extremely useless, what about Sheik's fsmash? Those are bad so they can't be elite characters, huh? That's how you rate characters?

Falcon is low due to a lack of strength and his miscalculation of run and jump? What does that mean? Do you understand that Falcon has huge KO potential and if you were to watch game play from really any era of Falcon you would know his aggregate kill percents for kill moves out of combos or edge guards are quite low. You have Ganon better than ICs, Puff, and Falcon. What is Ganon's fast air game...and how is it "faster" than Falcon's?Falcon has pitiful recovery. It is terrible, he has great vertical knockback resistance but seriously what are you talking about?
Not to mention his movement ceiling is through the roof and is in the elite category with Fox.

Fox is too low, self explanatory. Unless you are part of the 1% counter culture that thinks Fox isn't that good.

Also the things you cited for link are completely wrong or irrelevant. He has the best edge guarding in the game? His dash attack isn't that good. What easy combo starters does link have? Even if they are easy what is the quality of his combo game? The best spikes in the game are extremely polarizing and belong to Fox and Falco and that can't even be argued against.

Marth isn't quite that good and it's certainly not because he has "fast attacks." Also when people arbitrarly describe characters in a serious capacity with words that mean nothing like "Mewtwo is a strategical character" a red flag goes off in my mind that you probably don't understand why the character is good or bad. Someone told me that high level Marth play is all about being "elegant" what the hell does that mean? Good Marth play is DD camping, uthrow, uair juggling and fair.

Can you also define what an "air game" is.

I am inclined to believe that you don't know what you are talking about, haven't played this game in a serious capacity at all, haven't watched medium to high level gameplay, and or even took the time to analyze the metagame yourself and define features that make for a good character with all due respect. You cited smash attacks, logical fallacies, incorrect statements, arbitrary/incorrect measurements of speed, and unsubstantiated claims. This was the worst tier list I've ever seen in all seriousness. Not to flame but I want you to understand why it is bad and completely inaccurate.

I'm not mad though but you should take a good while to learn the game.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I thought the general consensus was just to ignore that kind of list and move on with the "sensible" discussion that's usually going on here :D

There's controversial lists and then there's lists where the creator might as well have posted a randomized permutation of the cast.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I didn't want to make a post because I didn't want to sound like that...
Lol things sound worse over the internet

I thought the general consensus was just to ignore that kind of list and move on with the "sensible" discussion that's usually going on here :D
Well I personally hope someone would correct me. I've been corrected my fair share of times haha. If someone strongly believes something very wrong I feel like you are doing them a disservice by not saying anything.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941

There's controversial lists and then there's lists where the creator might as well have posted a randomized permutation of the cast.
And that's why I like the Brawl tier list thread more than this one.

I can make baseless claims like MK being bottom tier and will have a horde of angry posters throwing metaphorical rocks at me, here people just ignore me.

It's much less fun here.

Stupid smart people.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Lol things sound worse over the internet

Well I personally hope someone would correct me. I've been corrected my fair share of times haha. If someone strongly believes something very wrong I feel like you are doing them a disservice by not saying anything.
Well, on the one hand I'm not sure whether I'd be metaphorically standing on top a bridge throwing food at the creature commonly known to dwell under these things.
And on the other with that kind of lists I wouldn't even know where to begin. Probably by linking to the advanced how to play.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hooded Informant is obviously a new player (or skillful troll). I'm not usually one to support straight up ignoring people's arguments, but when he's so obviously ignorant of the metagame in general, I don't really see the harm in not arguing with him because he'll obviously learn how ridiculous his list was as he gets more into the community. I'd rather have someone with their own personal biases coming into the community and have their mind blown instead of having them told how they are wrong. Like if he thinks Falcon's isn't strong and then goes to a tourney and gets stomp kneed all game, he'll feel like he will have experienced part of the game he never has before, and he will change his opinion. His second opinion will probably be just slightly better than his first in terms of how close it is to reality, but I enjoy my progression of gaining understanding even to this day. I don't think it would have been nearly as fun, nor would I have appreciated it as much if I just downloaded my set of opinions from someone wiser and just referred to them for everything. Or maybe I was too lazy to refute his awful list, and I'm just rationalizing.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
I feel like it's in the spirit of smashboards to get shot down on the forums for not knowing stuff

Getting shot down is a great way to learn, at least I think so from personal experience lol

The Hooded Informant

Banned via Warnings
Okay, I made a big mistake, so I will fix it, kind people. I was mainly tired that day, and I came up with an incompetent tier list. It was my mistake.

Here is a tier list that is much better than the prior:

S: Marth, Falco, Fox, Peach
A: Sheik, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Dr. Mario, Pikachu, Ice Climbers
B: Ganondorf, Luigi, Link, Samus
C: Mario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong
D: Young Link, Roy, Mewtwo, Zelda
E: Mr. Game and Watch, Bowser, Ness, Pichu, Kirby

I strongly suffice to this tier list, rather than others, due to this being a more accurate Tier List to the current.

Also, to inquire, a succession of Smash Attacks is the time between one smash attack and then another smash attack. An example is Mewtwo's Side Smash and then Down Smash in quick succession. Another key component is the Grab Smash Succession. It's like with Fox, Falco, Link and Young Link. Fox and Falco use their Reflector attack after Down Throw, and Link and Young Link use Down Smash after their Down Throw. Other characters can do this, if not all. It takes time and practice to do it.

The way I see it, is that the characters can be ranked solely by who is playing them. We do not need to discriminate bad players or players with their mains, and just turn them against their previous main. Originally, I mained Link and Falco, then only mained Sheik, but then, I realized that I was best with Link and Falco only, so I came with this conclusion about tier lists; they are just lists, that no one really needs to care about, because they can be made just by anyone.

All characters have amazing potential, and when that potential is at its fullest, that is when you can finally know your characters. I go deep within the competitive spirit of the game to feel how to play. I love the series, especially Melee. The games are a great time of fun and competition to see who is better, and yes, Tier Lists can be either a boost or a downer, but the good thing is that people get together to discuss about this. I am sure that you people will soon understand.

Please like this if you liked how I inquired about the tier lists. And as before, tell me what changes you want to make, and I will definitely do them. Tier lists, as I see them, are just for fun.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Hooded Informant is obviously a new player (or skillful troll). I'm not usually one to support straight up ignoring people's arguments, but when he's so obviously ignorant of the metagame in general, I don't really see the harm in not arguing with him because he'll obviously learn how ridiculous his list was as he gets more into the community. I'd rather have someone with their own personal biases coming into the community and have their mind blown instead of having them told how they are wrong. Like if he thinks Falcon's isn't strong and then goes to a tourney and gets stomp kneed all game, he'll feel like he will have experienced part of the game he never has before, and he will change his opinion. His second opinion will probably be just slightly better than his first in terms of how close it is to reality, but I enjoy my progression of gaining understanding even to this day. I don't think it would have been nearly as fun, nor would I have appreciated it as much if I just downloaded my set of opinions from someone wiser and just referred to them for everything. Or maybe I was too lazy to refute his awful list, and I'm just rationalizing.
that's probably the best thing you've said and the only thing you've ever said I entirely agree with haha
edit:
after reading that again, no dice. I still disagree slightly rofl.

The way I see it, is that the characters can be ranked solely by who is playing them. We do not need to discriminate bad players or players with their mains, and just turn them against their previous main. Originally, I mained Link and Falco, then only mained Sheik, but then, I realized that I was best with Link and Falco only, so I came with this conclusion about tier lists; they are just lists, that no one really needs to care about, because they can be made just by anyone.
You still need to check your reasoning. Smash succession is almost entirely useless in competitive play as most smash attack's don't function well at high levels and they need to be combo'd into. It is more clear you're not that acquainted with this game since you cited dthrow->shine. That's 2001 meta and it's just called a combo, furthering my point Fox almost never has a reason to dthrow when he has his uthrow which combos into better things. Characters can combo off grabs and that's not special.

Nothing is wrong with you voicing your opinion but don't expect your opinion on tiers to be respected if you don't understand their purpose or if you think they are meaningless.

Bones0

Smash Legend
All characters have amazing potential...
False.

Please like this if you liked how I inquired about the tier lists. And as before, tell me what changes you want to make, and I will definitely do them. Tier lists, as I see them, are just for fun.
Basing your list off of other peoples' opinions is pointless. You might as well just read their list instead of trying to construct the most agreeable list possible.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Well, if this is a troll, I got baited hard.

@HoodedInformant

Your second list is much better compared to the first, but there are still issues I take with it. Dr. Mario + Pikachu above IC's? Why? I would say they're about as agile as either character in terms of stage mobility (better than Doc's, worse than Pika's in weird terrible generalization about movement IMO), generally have better hitboxes than either character (hammer disjoint!) and have the added bonus of being able to kill almost any character off of a grab (super good punish game).

I can see the Link bias, and even though I shouldn't really be commentating on mid/low-tiers, for what reason is Link so high now? Please don't say due to bombs, arrows, boomerangs, or smash attacks, because this isn't 2002 and we know more about the game than that. From what I can tell about Link, his movement options are kinda worse than most other characters, his attacks aren't as good as should compensate, and when he gets hit, he usually gets kinda rocked. Which is not to say a good Link player can't exist (holla at J666), but I don't see how he'd be above Samus, Mario, or DK. Can't comment on Yoshi. I think YL would fare better in tournaments than Link because he could be used more effectively as a CP, but this is a tough call, but I do think YL and Link were appropriately placed together.

Now to answer ur other stuff.

Succession of smash attacks is an illusion. If you combo two smash attacks together, be grateful either your opponent doesn't know how to DI or they're playing Bowser. It's not an advanced tech, it's not a thing. The button presses required and the results for doing so are trivial. They do not make or break any character. Most characters have far more intricate, brutal, and reliable punishes.

Grab smash succession WTF is also an illusion. Fox/Falco d-throw -> reflector is by no means guaranteed and in fact usually are completely unreliable granted that the opponent is competent and not a CPU. Link's dthrow -> dsmash works under the right circumstances. I do not know about YL's dthrow -> dsmash, but I don't think that works reliably in most circumstances.

Tier lists are useful for seeing changes in the metagame and how each character relates to the currently dominant tactics, styles, and techniques. They can be fun to discuss occasionally, but they serve a higher purpose. They are not meant to tell people who to main even though they can be useful for anyone who just started to pick up the game and is interested in going competitive. Everyone will tell you to play who you are most comfortable with and who you know you will stick with despite any downfalls the character may have.
And no, you don't get a like. Cuz I'm mean like that.

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
What does everyone think of the tier lists coming from the voting thread? Looks like a lot of people still think Fox is the best. Jiggs has definitely fallen from its current place at number 3. Marth and Peach placement seems pretty varied.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
K so I did this to the Brawl tier list and figured that it would be fun to do here as well.

I present to you, the Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List: Swag Edition

S: Fox McSwag, Swagco, Jigglyswag, Swageik
A: Swaggarth, Prinswag Peach, Captain Swag
B: Ice Swaggers
C: Dr. Swagio, Swagondorf, Swagmus
D: Swagachu, Swagario, Swagigi, Swaggy Kong
E: Link The Hero of Swag, Swag Link
F: Swagda, Swagoy, Mewswag, Yoswag, Mr. Swag & Swag
G: Nesswag, Bowswag, Swagy, Swagchu

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Ok I understand Mario = Swagario, but why is Dr. Mario = Dr. Swagio?

also, young link should be young swag not swag link IMO

Griffard

Smash Ace
OMG joe I'm dying laughing over here. I'm definitely calling YL "Young Swag" from now on.

Yo, Doc should be "Swag Doc" or "Doctor Swag". It's not that hard lol :drmario:

Edit: lol why the **** do we have so many drifloon smilies?
:drwtf::dr-_-::drfacepalm:

Top Bottom