• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I heard someone say 3 or 4 hits before a forced stand up, too. Basically I suck at jablocks so I don't really know.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Ok, seeing as there seems to be some confusion over the jab lock thing (how many times you need to hit them) and this confusion seems to be a well known myth, I tested it just to be sure.

As I have already stated, you only need the one hit in order for it to lock them, you do not need to hit them a certian amount of times. What is probably happening is that your initial Jab didn't hit them fast enough. When this happens, they are not locked, they just appear to be locked and do the flop animation. If you don't Jab them fast enough initially, they can get out pretty much at any point, they won't have a forced get up and so on (they won't be locked). So to avoid this happening, get faster, or as a wise man once said to me, "get better".
So that's myth busted I spose.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Another reason teh jab lock may not be working is where your hitting them with links sword. With samus if you don't walk far enough her jab will still hit them but it'll force them to getup if not done correctly. I still suck at jablocks but they do come in handy every now and then.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I don't know much about Samus, but with Link it doesn't matter with what part you hit them with. Also, you may want to re-check that Samus thing. Where did you find out about that, or is it just common Samus knowledge?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Hm, actually that did kinda get me thinking. I'm not Legan and can't do the walking jablock yet, so I crouch to cancel the jab. Is it possible to hit them too fast with the next jab 1 and mess up the jablock?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
No, there is no too fast. It won't affect the lock.
(At some point when you get the feel for it though, you should try to move on to the walking one as I'm sure you must have been planning to.)

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK

Ryos4

Smash Lord
First off pretty good Link.

Hmm in terms of the first match. On your first death. You used ur double jump at a bad time, you jumped above the lip of the stage but not high enough to really consider it an attempt to recover high. Which with Link can be a good choice. Though it was probably just a mistake. Though you also used ur second jump way too early on the 3rd match first stock. His second jump is very important to his recovery, it gives him the momentum he needs to make use of his spin attack to the fullest. Unless you are trying to recover high, i suggest holding on to that second jump as long as possible.

Second match last death. This is a good example of when to use projectiles while recovering. You had all that time to prepare a bombs and rang to help prevent mario from edge hogging you. When you did the Fair you could have pulled a bomb, tossed it then pulled another one. At that point you could have also thrown it or held on to it used ur rang. Just in case you get hit away again you have the bomb to boost your recovery.

Overall, you could use more bombs and arrows. A good time you could sneak those in is when you were chasing Mario into the air. Sure its okay to use Link in the air. Frankly i dont think Links aerials are that great but it can be done. Might wanna try using more Bair and Nair, since you mostly used Fair.

As for edge guarding while they are on the ledge. What i normally attempt to do is just spam the edge from a safe distance with projectiles and Zair. It makes it fairly hard to get back onto the stage. It also keeps you fairly safe from being countered. You could also trying using Dair as an edge guard when they are recovering low.

Last thing i noticed is that you tend to segregate your projectile use and your close range fighting. You should try combining projectiles and melee strikes. Be able to use projectiles effectively at mid to close range.

IDK just some things to think about.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Yeah il keep that in mind, ecspecially edgeguarding lol, i could tell that spammin fair isnt a good edgeguard xD, and Nair il try use more, i know its rly good. Cheers.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I watched the first match, and I think the recorder needs to set his game to Widescreen when he's recording :p

I like your Link. I personally would like to see more bombs. Not saying it'll help you get better or anything that's just what I'd like to see.

And lol I actually like that Fair edgeguarding!

If I'm not lazy I'll check out the other two vids.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
I'm seeing your fights Anaky.

The first thing i can say is you abuse too much of Aereal Dodge; Link has bad lag landing with it. I think you must use Nair & Zair with Bomb more; try too use DAC, is very effective. I like your platform play, if you dedicate some time with Link, sure you can master it ;D.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I actually dislike DAC with Link. Sure there are times when it might an effective follow up. But it has very weak knock back and only does around 17% uncharged, and unless you can master it and know exactly how far you are going to slide. You might slide right past or right in front of ur opponent. If you miss the second or 3rd hit from it you are left seriously vulnerable in the ending lag. Though i still find myself using it every once in a while. Its perfect to approach someone who is standing at the edge of the stage or will be landing there. As the edge prevents you from passing ur opponent.

Overall to me its a high risk low reward attack. But then again its Link, pretty much everything is high risk and low reward.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
DAC is fine as a mix-up.

It's not like Snake's which helps him punish and move very fast with much much less after lag.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
I'm seeing your fights Anaky.

The first thing i can say is you abuse too much of Aereal Dodge; Link has bad lag landing with it. I think you must use Nair & Zair with Bomb more; try too use DAC, is very effective. I like your platform play, if you dedicate some time with Link, sure you can master it ;D.
God i rly need to do that yeah, i completly forget Link can Zair after his airdodge, cheers. And yeah i love my platform cancelling :p.

I watched the first match, and I think the recorder needs to set his game to Widescreen when he's recording :p

I like your Link. I personally would like to see more bombs. Not saying it'll help you get better or anything that's just what I'd like to see.

And lol I actually like that Fair edgeguarding!

If I'm not lazy I'll check out the other two vids.
I recorded them LOL, they were on a program which i just downloaded, everything was messed up this time round.

But srs the fair edgeguarding? I thought that sucked lmao.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Idk it may be okay. Only thing is that it can only work if they decide to jump into it out of all the options they could do on the ledge.

They could roll past it. Stand up and shield it. Wait, then ledge hop attack. Standard ledge attack. Not including other characters special gimmicks to getting back on stage.

On paper it seems like a terrible choice. As its another one of those high risk low reward type scenarios. In general Nair would be safer, better hit box in term of duration, speed, and priority. Only thing Fair has it slightly more range and disjointed hit box. If your going for a kill you might as well just Dair.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Aight so ive started playing Link again for my Low Tier character (since Ike moved up), and i just feel im playing him wrong, i only got a few matches up but is there anything i can do to play better? Just Link in general, not the matchup.

Match1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsx3XzSXml8
Match2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUvVXpJ4u4g
Match3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8fgtzkrUHI
Is it wrong of me to think everyone Link is more cleaner than mine is when it comes to movements and playing the game? Your looks better than mine.

I'll try one of my good old in depth critiques tomorrows. It's been a while since I've done one of those.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Ohh yeah believe me lol i love to play fancy when i can, unfortunatly that doesnt help me too much xD. Also ive basically played Link since release date of Brawl, but stopped playing him sometime back and im behind with his Metagame.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Match 1:
I didn't even see a single dair, not a bad thing it's just something I don't see when people play Link. Both you and the Mario got a lot of gimp kills on each other, try mixing in some projectile to help you get back or some Zair to latch onto the ledge. When do do Double jump or UpB try going a bit lower when you think you can either get the ledge or be able to get back up of they do edgehog.

All of your boomerangs except for one or two were ground thrown, using them in the air is a lot safe because you can add movement to them to keep your distance.

Your arrow usage is very good, you mixed it up and used it at correct moments. Good job here.

Try Zair while neutral or retreating more than advancing, it much safer and doesn't get you grabbed/punished, a few times you went approaching with it when you shouldn't have, other times like near the middle of the match were fine usage of zair. Speaking of the Z button, don't be so grab happy, it will get you punished really hard if your not careful about the opponents actions.

Match 2:
You have a bad habit of always trying a shield grab when shielding, be very careful of this. In the first match he caught on a bit and started spot dodging after touching your shield, and in this one he didn't punish it nearly as well as he did before.

If Mario is trying to camp/zone with fireballs, use bombs or retreating zair. Bombs eat up fireballs and zair's hitboxes does the same.

Get more projectiles moving in your games, there are plenty of times when you could have pulled a bomb/arrow/boomerang and didn't get something going. Link's projectiles are one of his main assets you got to keep it going.

Trying using UpB so the hitboxes hits the person and your not on top of them when you try to get to the ledge, you could have knocked Mario off at the end if you did.

Match3:
I'm liking the fair spacing when you use it right, there are a few moments your your not spacing it properly. I like the idea of fair spacing, but just keep an eye out for it.

Here you are responding to fireballs a bit better with more bombs and zair, much better.

Careful when you run right into Mario, his combo,juggle game is hard for Link to get out of even with DI/SDI.

From this and the other videos I can see you prefer a more aggressive style of Link seeing as you aim to get up close a lot and get a nice hit off. Trying using projectiles a bit more to help you approach. They are very key in helping Link no matter what kind of style of Link you play.

~

Just some tid bits, hope it helps. :)

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
I had no idea what to do against Mario's fireballs, didnt know Zair beat them out.

Thanks read it throughly and im gonna try import some of this back/into my gameplay again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom