• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "I need help with ___"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
smash_emperor, double posting is *not* cool. There's an edit button in the lower right corner of every post you make, so you can, obviously, edit your post. That saves you the trouble of making a new post and us the trouble of reading one. :)

Crambert

Smash Cadet
How do I gain respect on these boards without performing exceptionally well in tournies? Or is this just a pipedream? Many of the members and mods are friendly, but I get this awkward feeling that nobody cares (because nobody does), and I want to know what I can do to make them care.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Crampert: You don't have to place exceptionally well. You just have to show that you at least know what your doing and aren't an idiot. Smashers can pretty much be devided up into 10 groupings, low/mid/high (each with there own low/mid/high), then Elite. There are only 7 or 8 really Elite Smashers (the ones that almost always place top 3 at any tournament they go to). At least, this is how I view it.

Anyways, knowing all the technical things should be your first goal. Then, going to tournaments and meeting the other players should be your second. Tournaments are the key to real respect, cause many people in the past have claimed to know what they're doing and when they go to a tournament they get rocked. Expierance, not nessasarily how well you place, should be your concern.

zeka

Smash Cadet
Tipo mastr said:
Look on the back of the disc. In the inner ring with the writing, rotate the dis until you see " DOL-GALE-0-xx"
The xx stands for your version. 00 means you have 1.0, 01 means you have 1.1, etc. But I'm not sure what it says for PAL versions.
The Pal version has got DOL-GALP-0-00
were there any newer versions for PAL?

oldschool smasher

Smash Rookie
Kokichi said:
RULES:

Okay I think this is pretty self-explanatory...you have a question, and if for some reason the Melee Q/A doesn't answer it, then you post it here.

In other words......WHAT TO POST IN THIS TOPIC:

"Who should I use to beat event 51?"

"Can someone tell me the best way to beat Doc's BTT?"

etc.

Then other people post the answer to your question.

It's basic, really. Enjoy it.
Found a way last year and this is how you do it. Using Mario keep metor attacking while trying to avoid gannon and Mewtwo. Since Giga Bowser is well...... Huge he's the easiest target to hit with most Metor Attacks plus throwing items and such hard yes but there is a way to beat any obstacle in any game!

Mantrix85

Smash Rookie
Hi! I'd like to know how to get over 1300 meters in the Home run contest. I'm trying unlock the N64 map that you'll get if you get over this point. I've tried Yoshi with his Dair and I've managed to get the bag to around 100%. Is there a better/easier method to do this?

Pjv

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this has already been posted in here, but I don't have time to look for this on 39 pages. What's the best way to practice my wavedashes and powershields?

Ryo242

Smash Ace
pjv,
I don't know how to practice other than by doing only that until you get it right.

Ex. play as Luigi and wavedash like crazy until you can do it well. Then play as your character, and practice the same way.

For Powershielding, find someone to be Falco, and shoot at you <only one at a time> then practice shielding.

It is best to practice on regular speeds, so that your hands get used to it.

Degreez

Smash Journeyman
THIS MAY SOUND NOOBY - BEWARE!

**-- When people say F-Tilt what are they talking about on the controller? (The white stick or etc...) --**

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
You tilt the white stick up (U), down (D) or forward (F) and hit A. Make sure not to smash the white stick.

EDIT:

Suggestion: Sticky popular questions?

This has probably been answered, but the way I beat Event 50 (first try!) was using Ganon and just Up Smashing overer and over again for about 40 damage each time. Just keep on your toes and this will work! Also, when they use combination moves with eachother (such as the hand clapping), get on the the edge and stay there until they finish.

Also, what exactly is a BtT?

Zero34

Smash Lord
i had a question on two of the terms

IASA (Interruptible as soon as): All moves have IASA-frames. After performing a move, you can perform ANOTHER move (and most often, a jump or a dash) before the 1st move actually ends. The best example of this is Marth's Dtilt. If you Dtilt and try to jump, you have to wait for the full 49 or so frames until the move is over. However, if you Dtilt and try to follow up with ANY attack (C-sticked smash for instance), the Dtilt will stop after 20 frames (its hitbox will have come out) and go directly into that move! To do an IASA-cancel, you just have to perform something within the frames during which the IASA of that move have begun and the frame it ends.

and

Pivoting/DA DASH: This is a hard and somewhat new technique (discovered summer 04, correct me if I'm wrong, by a member of the Deadly Alliance). The easiest way to get a sense of the technique is to watch the DD of Marth or Shiek. You'll notice that there is a frame during the DD that the character seems to be standing upright. Well now here comes in the Pivoting idea. At that upright frame you may perform ANY move from a neutral position. So, this could be QUICKER then WDing back, where instead you could dash back just a bit and Pivot into an attack.

could someone please explain these to me? im really confused on these two

thanks

Zero34

Smash Lord
well, that i can help you with :D

okay, if you can actually see yourself airdodge, that just means that you need to work more on your timing. i advise jsut going to FD and practicing wavedashing back and forth there. also, some characters are a lot more difficult to wavedash than others. i can barely wavedash with falco or link, but i could WD back and forth with ease with samus

for the sheild, you are holding L or R too long. just tap it and let go

both of those terms are stickyed

l-canceling is pressing l, r, or z as soon as your hit the gorund and smoke comes up to cancel the recovery frames and puts you back into your fighting stance. one of the most important techniques

short hopping is pressing x, y, or up with almost no pressure to do a hop that will usually get you to around that persons standing height. keep in mind that samus' jump is incredibly difficult. accursed jet pack...

Kont

Smash Rookie
For samus...

If you wanna do a little hop I don't recommend jumping at all... just use the down-b bomb and it projects you very gently into the air... but normally your opponent can see it coming... also the way I learned to wave dash was I tried in practise mode and put the game in slow motion, then wave dashed until I learned the button combo, then did it faster and faster till I could do it at normal speed.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Begolfer33 said:
I have seen a lot of talk about tiers throughout this site. What are tiers?

EDIT* (400th post)

the tiers are how powerful a character is looked at overall. Sheik,Fox and Marth(I think) Are in the top tier, then it goes to the high tier, middle tier,low tier and bottom tier, and the character are placed in the apprpiate tier for their usefellness, but strangley, the tier list is wrong aoubt 80% of the time.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nah, the tiers aren't wrong that many times, although I don't agree with the fact that Mewtwo is bottom >_>. They're based on which character wins most tourneys and their potential etc. And you forgot upper tier.

ycz12

Smash Ace
I need help with sub 5 Link, sub 10 Jigglypuff, Pichu, Pikachu, C. Falcon, and Mario, 8.xx or so Mewtwo, 2k Link, Y. Link, and Kirby, 2.5k Mario, Dr. Mario, and Pikachu, 3k Luigi, Samus, and Yoshi, 4k Roy and C. Falcon, and 10k Ganondorf. Sub 10 10MM strats would be welcome too.

And I think tiers are right about 80% of the time, not wrong that much. But that's just me. Ignore me.

TwistedAvatar

Smash Rookie
My friend recently learned how to shield grab and now he just spams it like crazy. I play as fox and his throw to fsmash is getting to be really annoying. Are there any particularily good ways to counter his shield grab?

Ryo242

Smash Ace
Twistedavatar,

To answer your problem, you can do a couple things...

1. You spam projectiles when he's shielding.
2. You attack his back while he is shielding <Jump over him and B-air, or turn and attack>
3. Grab him <I would use a long grabber like Link>
4. Be Marth <Tilt Down, A & B=Shield breaker>
5. Be someone short, and Duck when he tries to grabs you.
6. Shine combo him with Fox <Shine, jump, shine, jump...>

Hope that helps...

sharl

Smash Rookie
HR contest 4600+

I'm sure this is old smash business, but I was hoping someone could explain why my game glitches everytime I hit the sandbag more than 4600 feet or so. The interesting thing is when I switch it to Japanese mode it does not glitch, but it gives me a message (that I can't understand) and the crowd sighs as it does when you fail at something. Any info would be appreciated.

Zero34

Smash Lord
a couple questions here and there

1. first, what exactly should you do while dash dancing? any combos out of it?

2. and second, ive noticed that sometimes when i usually cannot use a second jump (like when i get hit off, for some reason i lose my jump) i accidentally press L or R and then i do my normal second jump. so is there some way to jump with l or r?

thanks

EDIT: and i still needed help understanding what IASA and pivoting is. so advice on that would be appreciated

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
When you're dash dancing, you should just be running back and forth really quickly. You can't combo out of it really, it's more for mindgames.

IASA is interrupted as soon as. It was recently added to the Compendium of knowledge (The sticky on the main page that says "WDing, L-canceling, read this first" or whatever it says now.

Pivoting is running in one direction, and then doing a tilt or smash in the other direction. Triforce of Power by Thomas Tipman (It's a video) demonstrates pivoting very well.

To avoid being shieldgrabbed constantly... Learn to SHFFl and use low lag aerials. Good examples would be Fox's Dair (You can even shine out of it when you land, which is very effective).

Also, to do that "shine combo", you don't shine, jump, shine, jump... You shine, WD, shine, WD.

TokyoKid

Smash Rookie
beating event 31

hey guys, i'm new to the forums but have been playing SSBM since it came out oh so long ago. I got pretty good while playing with my host-brother in Japan, but for some reason, no matter how hard I try, I CANNOT beat event 31! Mario and Luigi always come out on top, no matter how many times I kill them. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, but i'm sick of seeing FAILURE after every attempt. PLEEEEEEASE HELP ME!!!

btw i like to use fox, ganondorf, and link

thanks alot

Drab Emordnilap

Palindrome Bard
BRoomer
sharl said:
I'm sure this is old smash business, but I was hoping someone could explain why my game glitches everytime I hit the sandbag more than 4600 feet or so. The interesting thing is when I switch it to Japanese mode it does not glitch, but it gives me a message (that I can't understand) and the crowd sighs as it does when you fail at something. Any info would be appreciated.
This means you've got the original version of Smash. There's a glitch (as you've noticed) that prevents you from hitting the Sandbag further than 4600 feet or so. There's nothing you can do about it except use a newer version of Smash (And even then there's still a limit, but it's like 12000 ft or so).

PWN-er

Smash Rookie
how do i get cool signatures with their name and character? i still like grimer but i still want a cooler one. oh, and how the heck are you guys able to rapidly wavedash? i get triangle jumps around the second one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom