• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "I need help with ___"

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
I need help with:
-Isai dropping. How can you tell if you're doing it, when do you do it, and how exactly do you do it?
-Beating Sheik with Marth.
-Reverse SHB/SHLing with Falco. Just any tips on this that would help?

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I'm not sure what Isai dropping is so I won't be any help there...
And even though Marth is my secondary, nobody I know main Sheik so I don't know a counter for you...
But being a Falco main, I can help with your little SHL problem!

Basically, you're just going to want to do what "SHL"ing entails: Short-Hop Laser ...-ing. Simply try that, and if it's coming out wrong or you're just not getting it, stop, and try again. You need to get into a rhythm. Once you get a rhythm, you may not be able to keep it after a match or two or three or more, but after a while (or maybe even right away) you'll be used to it and doing it flawlessly every time. Hell, you'll even be able to alter the height of your laser like I can! It's as easy as it sounds.

EDIT:
Remember, practice practice practice.

Zap Roffo

Smash Rookie
For reverse SHL, if your problem is doing phantasm, it means you need to tap the control stick back more gently. You need to barely move it in the opposite direction. Just practice this a lot, it takes getting used to hitting the control stick that lightly in tense situations.

If your problem is not getting the lasers out fast enough, try working on doing the back tap faster after hitting Y. This really helped me do it much more consistently, after I realized I was sort of pausing between the jump and turn.

Switchblades

Smash Apprentice
How does one walljump instantly from the ledge? I've seen a number of people doing it in combo vids, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
hmm...i know i saw a video once with a detailed explanation on how to do it, and i know it has a name, but i cant remember it...anyway, i think it works like this. when you jump up to the ledge, make sure you press against the wall on your way up to the ledge. then once youre hanging, simply tap away from the ledge, and you should walljump.

CoquiMan

Smash Rookie
lol. i can wavedash with 1 hand(or 2 fingers)

try breaking in yourcontroller first. i realized that afteryou do, it works the best
Yeah. I have a clumsy left thumb. But I know people that do it that way. I will practice braking, to see if I get faster. I haven't played smash in a while, since where I live now i have nobody to play with. I'm waiting for brawl to come out, and hopefully have online play.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
I need help with like.. (with Falco)

Dash away from opponent, jump reverse SHB, repeat. I saw Forward doing this, but I can't get it down like he does.

Agenie04991

Smash Cadet
its overridden, you can only press it in the last 2 frames. pressing L during hitlag has no effect, it has to be pressed when not in hitlag to work. same goes for teching.
Thank you very much, that clears things up but also raises one more question. If you were to hit L and hold it down during hitlag, would it count as being pressed the 1st frame after hitlag?

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
Thank you very much, that clears things up but also raises one more question. If you were to hit L and hold it down during hitlag, would it count as being pressed the 1st frame after hitlag?
ok, forget what i just said. i actually whipped out my AR to test this, and it seems with l-cancelling, you CAN press it during hitlag, as long as you hit the ground no more than 6 frames after pressing it. and it doesnt matter if you press for one frame or hold it till you get out of hitlag. sorry about that.

with teching, however, it wont work if you press L during hitlag.

Deserter

Smash Cadet
how do u short hop is there a way to train your thumb to get off the button no matter how hard i try i can't seem to get it. help please

CoquiMan

Smash Rookie
how do u short hop is there a way to train your thumb to get off the button no matter how hard i try i can't seem to get it. help please
I think the best way to short hop is with the stick, but I can't do it that way like my friend can, so I use practically my nail on the button and slide it off on the bottom of the (x) button. It work's every time, just get the hang of it. Just slide your finger off the button through the bottom.

good luck. Practice it.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I got used to it with Falco, the thumb movement for SHL is like muscle memory, and you essentially get used to how to SHL and in turn, you get an idea of how to short hop well. I was able to SHL before I could shffl effectively, and after I parted ways with Falco, I was already pretty good at shffling and I'd say it's mostly due to learning to short hop effectively through SHL. I'd say it's worth a shot.

zzzzzzzzzz

Smash Cadet
ok well some things i need help with, i play sheik terrible i guess i get grabbed alot when i use jumping moves, i have heard that i can L cancel and f tilt and not get grabbed i can't seem to implements it also do i need to fast fall for it to work? SHing seems so hard with sheik, how useful is it to have it in ur arsenal? btw i am very new to the game maybe playing 2 weeks now and do have a cube, so i rarely get time to practice, i have to practice during knock out games, i don't mind losing but just want to master these skills fast any tips will be nice. i know it all comes down to practicing but anything to speed it up would be nice

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I assume you're getting shield grabbed a lot. If you L-cancel to a jab you have a chance of interupting the grab OR you can DI so that you land behind them. FF is something that you need with sheik in general since her SH is so high. Even though it's high sheik's SH is useful and you should learn it. It can be used for slap pressure (if spaced correctly), needle canceling and just comboing in general.

There is not a fast or easy way to learn a lot of these things. You have to do stuff over and over again until it becomes natural and then play someone better than yourself so you're forced to implement these new skills. The first few steps in smash can be kinda rough but don't let it get you down. Finding someone in your area who you can play with can be really helpful too so check out the regional boards.

pizzaboy220

Smash Rookie
When I'm wavedashing, I can't seem to do anything while the wavedash is happening. I think I might be holding R for too long...? Cause when I finish wavedashing Sheik immediately goes into a shield.

Oh, and what's a space animal? I see that term around here quite a bit.

iownu1337

Smash Rookie
what is the easiest way to waveshine with fox. I can easily wavedash (i go x then aerial dodge with the control stick and l-button) and shield dash, but i just cannot waveshine. Should i try a different button combination to waveshine perhaps use the c-stick? Also, is the only way to DLH is to short hop using the control stick?

stupidalien

Smash Cadet
can someone explain thoroughly how to walltech when trying to recover? i helps tremendously when being edge guarded and i see pros doing it all the time, sometimes living upwards of 150% simply because they know a tech that most other people cant do consistently. i would like to be one of these people that knows how to do this.

any tips of how to practice this manuver would also been helpful. thanks smashboards. :)

Rayku

Smash Lord
Anticipation of attacks is really the only way I know how to do it. Know how to read what your opponent is going to do, and press L at about the time they hit you (I don't know exact timing). Some attacks it won't work against, you usually have to come from below in order for it to work. You won't get a tech using Falcon trying to recover from above when Marth charges his B. However, you might if you're trying to sweetspot his recovery and Marth gets you.

Mandalore

Smash Apprentice
How can I overcome a Falco's dsmash edgehog with Ganon? Should I just practice my sweetspotting or is there some other thing I can do?

Oh yeah, and what does 10chars mean?

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
How can I overcome a Falco's dsmash edgehog with Ganon? Should I just practice my sweetspotting or is there some other thing I can do?

You're probably going to have to practice your sweet spotting.

And 10chars is just thrown in at the end of really short messages so the post meets the minimum requirement of "ten characters or more" (characters= letters, numbers, symbols, etc.)

Rayku

Smash Lord

Also, along with sweetspotting, if he still hits you a lot of the time you can tech it and just jump back up again. That's hard to avoid in general.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
The issue is the weird hitbox, i was actually practicing with my bro and i was having trouble edgeteching it, but what you need to do, is on like FD or Dreamlan or FOD, come up from underneath the lip of the level, by up-b ing so that you slide along the curve of the stage. this will make it easy for you to edgetech the down smash by pressing R (or L) like a quarter of a second before you get hit by the down smash. You'll probably want to edgetech and hold up so that you jump if possible, since he'll probably down smash you again ifd you hang on the wall too long.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
just want some clarification: in order to usmash out of shield...you're supposed to jam up with the control stick and press a at the same time(kinda like a conventional smash without the c-stick)?

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
How do you waveshield (if thats how its called) its the thing where you shield in the middle of a wavedash. Is the shield literally up during the actual slide animation? or does it wait for you to come to a full stop before deplowing the shield? Plz splain...

The Qu

Smash Apprentice
Whats a good method to get the No Damage Clear bonus? I need it for the Diskun trophy....

The Qu

Smash Apprentice
yeah, but i have all that, FD, sound test AND all the other stages and i didnt get the trophy. I think my game glitched >.<
Did you get a trophy at all? The name, IIRC, is a translation error or somehting. The trophy is Marin from Link's Awakening.

kirbyspeople

Smash Cadet
sorry, this thread is too long, its too difficult to find what i am
looking for if its already there.

I need help/advice in the following please:

Getting No Damage Clear Bonus (which character is best to do Very Easy Classic)
Getting Melee Master Bonus (also which character is best to do with)
Beating Adventure mode on hard thus getting the Crazy Hand Trophy

Thank you

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I've got a question... sorry if it's already been answered.

In anticipation from Brawl, I've been practising some of the more tricky techniques (i.e. wavedashing, sidehopping, L-cancelling)

I'd like to ask if you think there's much point practising these, as some think they may not be in Brawl at all?

falcofang236

Smash Cadet
Umm sorry if this has already been answered/asked, but how can you beat the homerun contest cuz I tried yoshi's flutter kick 4 times then smash a with bat and I'm still 25 feet short (I think) from getting the 1200 needed to get that one stage. Can anyone help me to the z drop a down thingy?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I would jsut work on the short hop d airs with yoshi, if you are having trouble getting it with that, bat dropping will blow your mind >_< you'll get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom