• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "I need help with ___"

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Instead of kneeing in a c falcon u-air combo, u-air, then d-air. same goes for mario, or other characters with spikes that you can set up with another aerial.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Power Shielder: I did this by playing as both 1st and 2nd player. I chose anyone and Roy. I chargerd up Roy's forward A and right before it hit I shielded with 2nd player. You should see a white flash. Do this 3 times in one minute and u will get the bonus.
I did this in a simliar way.

Alternatively, play as player one and two. Set both characters right next to each other, face to face, and pause. Hold the shield button for P1 and the attack button for P2, then unpause. You should connect with a powershield. Do this three times and you're done.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
just have your friends fox repeatedly laser you and just keep tapping sheild. if you cant get a power shield here and there with that, it ain't possible.

~Mii~

Smash Rookie
I need help with event #50: Master/Crazy hand. What character should I use and what should I do? Its the only one I didn't beat yet.

Egret

Smash Journeyman
I need help with event #50: Master/Crazy hand. What character should I use and what should I do? Its the only one I didn't beat yet.
Ganondorf + Up Smash

It helps to know when to be in the air.

~Mii~

Smash Rookie
Who should I take out first in event 50, Master or Crazy hand, right or left?

ri0t

Smash Cadet
how do i beat someone who constantly crouch cancels.

ex. he will throw pills at me(obv. hes Doc) and i will float over to him(Jiggs) and he would crouch before i get there and i cant reach him before he reaches me.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Ganondorf!
no no no no. Just don't LOL. If you are looking for a good char pick out of the top tier. And if crouch cancelling is a problem work on your spacing. It shouldn't be something other than a recovery tactic but if your being punished, just abuse your moves range.

Smash_1

Smash Cadet
As long as I've played this game I still can't seem to find a character that matches my playstyle.
I'm looking for a character that is fast, fast attacks, good weight, good power, and good projectile

Edit: Like in Smash Bros. N64

Smashruler

Smash Apprentice
As long as I've played this game I still can't seem to find a character that matches my playstyle.
I'm looking for a character that is fast, fast attacks, good weight, good power, and good projectile

Edit: Like in Smash Bros. N64
There's no one that good. However if you're looking for a character who is fairly balanced in those categories, choose Mario.

essaysa

Smash Rookie
help!

How do you get yoshi to get sandbag over 1300 some feet? i do the thing they say online, but it don't work! plz help! also i need help with event 50 and how to beat 15 min. man! i use all the ideas and they don't work! ahhhhhh!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Grab bat
Do Yoshi's down B just out of range so the bag only takes 1 damage
SHFFL Yoshi's down A so most of the kicks connect
Repeat till 1-2 seconds are left
Charge bat

For 15 minute melee you can freeze glitch the wire frames or Up pound with Jigs the whole time. The simplest way is to use you best character.

Froogle

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to get Diskun atm, and was just wondering how to get Koopa/Paratroopa KO, I batter the **** out of them in adventure but the bonus just doesn't come up :/.

Thanks.

puckgood

Smash Journeyman
Why do you care, stalker? Don't make me sic the po
Hey, I need some help. I play as Marth and am always playing a Roy (occasionally a Link). He edgeguards me like crazy. Any advice? I don't have a GC or Wii, so I can't practice, but I"m already a bit more technical than my friend (Roy) who has the GC and hates reading guides. He knows no advanced techs, but constantly edgeguards me with his blazer. Help please.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Zialox: It mostly depends on what you are comfortable with. It's a lot easier to use C-stick for a lot of aerials anyway (shffl dair, falling uair, etc.)

puckgood: Sweetspot the edge, otherwise it's way too easy to edgeguard. If you are already doing this, try airdodging (if you are high enough) or Up B onto the edge if he is edgeguarding (although you will probably be punished for that anyway)

debaser

Smash Lord
Hey, I need some help. I play as Marth and am always playing a Roy (occasionally a Link). He edgeguards me like crazy. Any advice? I don't have a GC or Wii, so I can't practice, but I"m already a bit more technical than my friend (Roy) who has the GC and hates reading guides. He knows no advanced techs, but constantly edgeguards me with his blazer. Help please.
There are few things you can do to prevent this. Sweetspot the ledge, mix up your recovery (throw in some over b's to throw him off), or ledge tech by pressing L a split second before you get hit and DIing into the stage (this takes some work)

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Dash attacks won't always go past your shield unless they always space correctly, but then you can grab before they start the dash attack.
An easier way that doesn't involve grabbing is just aerial out of shield... whichever one is best for your character

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
How can I punish players who spam dash attacks that go past your shield?
If they are going past your shield and then attacking, you can wavedash out of your sheild towards the direction they dashed from and you should be out of their range again. I believe you can also grab immediately after the shield stun from the impact, not sure, its been a while.

You can also work on not shielding so much, and use moves with higher priority, as many moves like tilts and jabs can interrupt their efforts.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Counterpicking to a small or less flat/even would keep Falco from setting up across from you. You'll pretty much want to keep enough pressure on him that he can't set up his spammy offense.

.tsuna

Smash Rookie
Counterpicking to a small or less flat/even would keep Falco from setting up across from you. You'll pretty much want to keep enough pressure on him that he can't set up his spammy offense.
ah, okay.
thanks, I'll try this tomorow ;)

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Hello! I have a small, simple question that I haven't found an answer to yet.

When I am standing still with my character facing a direction and smash my control stick in the opposite direction to dash in that direction, my character will sometimes start dashing in that direction at once, and sometimes he goes through this very slow turning around animation and then dashes.

I have been sitting and testing and trying to find out why this happens when it does and why it doesn't when it doesn't. According to my tests it seems completely random and I have found no relation between how fast/hard I smash the control stick or what angles I smash it in (I always try do it straight to the right or the left, but even when you do there are small, small differences since human fingers are not 100% precise). But that this phenomenon would be completely random makes no sense whatsoever and I'd be more then grateful if somebody could find out why.

If you're wondering why something that can be considered a small, meaningless detail is so important for me to fix, please read this:
I'ts very impractical when I'm trying to avoid something, let's my opponent is C.falcon and I'm fox. He downthrows me so I tech, and then tech-chases me with a fulljumped a Dair and fast-falls down on me.
Now I realize that I have very little time to avoid this attack. I don't even have enough time to wavedash back to avoid it, atleast not if I want to punish this near lagless attack.
I could put up my shield and try to shieldgrab. But this is risky because if I do he might jab me before I grab, and if I wait with my grab he might grab me out of my shield before I do. A risky option that could put me in disadvantage.
The second option would be to quickly dash-dance out of the area that the attack will hit, and then dash-dance back there and grab him as he lands (not that I have to start dashing in the opposite direction I'm facing). This will lead to a gauranteed avoidance of the attack and a free grab for me if I don't mess up.
Now, in the right moment, right after I stand up from the tech and less then half a second before the falcon stomp would hit me, I smash the control stick in the opposite direction that im facing to dash, but to my greatest fear fox will not dash in this direction. Oh no, instead he slowly] turns around like an old, sick grandmother with all the time in the world. So I get falcon stomped, and incidentically Im at 75%, so I get falcon stomped->falcon punched and I lose a big, important tournament match in a humiliting way.

Thanks for any input, if I don't get an answer I'll make a thread about it. I have searched and looked at M2K's statistics listing.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
it shouldnt be like that. when u tap any direction, ur character with give a small dash and stop in that direction.

are u tapping ur controller or holding it? it should be a tap, a little longer than.. a flick, but definately not holding the control stick.

u should try practicing fox trotting, where u travel using only the initial dashes one after another when they end, and then try practicing dash dancing fast/slow and longer/shorter distances.

it shouldnt be slipping at all, cause the only way ur guy slips is when u enter the run phase after holding the control stick long enough to transfer ur character from dash to run.

if ur standing still, u will never enter the slip, cause u are not even in the run phase.

when u tap any direction, he will simply dash in that direction, make sure ur not holding it too long, or that ur not holding it in one direction then tapping the way u want to go, cause thats probably the only case where u would have ur slipping occurring.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
That's what happens when you cancel your dashing animation by inputting an opposite direction, there is no possible way to cancel your dashing animation while standing still.

To be honest, you should probably never do that in the first place. That's about an entire second where you cannot do anything, and it is just completely cumbersome. You need to wavedash son. You can dashdance the initial dashing animation and pivot it, but once you are in your dashing animation, your best bet is to cancel it with a crouch or with a wavedash.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
thats never happened to me maybe something is wrong with your controller. idk. but the best option would be to wavedash. foxs wavedash is long enough to get you out of that situation.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
No no no, you people are misunderstanding me. I mean that when I stand COMPLETELY still, not having dashed or anything, and try to dash in the opposite direction I'm facing, he will sometimes do this slow turning around animation (the same that he does if you turn around to walk in the opposite direction you're facing) before he dashes and sometimes he won't.
And also thanks alot for the input and sorry for being unclear.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
It's okay, I've got about half of an hour to check this out before football.

I'm the one who did the trials on the judgement hammer to prove it was random. I've tested much stupider crap lol.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Any interest in melee is worth nurturing. As long as people keep playing the game, I'll keep comnig out with ridiculous statistics lol.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I could not replicate your results. I even tried unplugging my controller, and plugging it in with the control stick pointed to the side by a few degrees to try and reproduce an equipment issue, but to the best of my knowledge, the basic rules of the dashing animations hold true. If you are standing still and dash in either direction, you will only see the initial dash animation. The only way to produce that slow turning around animation is to attempt to turn around during the running animation, because if you try to turn around in the initial dash animation, you will simply pivot, such as in dash dancing. If you could some how produce a video of it I could probably come up with a better solution for you.

Double posted for the bump.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
I need a TON of help short-hopping.:embarrass
I understand how to do it, but I have so much trouble short-hopping.

This is why I can't shuffle.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Muscle memory. You need to work on every little bit of the SHFFL separately if you are truly having that much trouble. First work on the short hop, then work of the fast fall (i personally think this is a superfluous thing to practice) and then practice your l canceling. Once you have gotten a hang of each step, start putting it together.

You might want to try l canceling with characters with really laggy aerials so you can notice the difference, such as Ganondorf's forward air, mario's/doc's forward airs, bowser's back air, or links down air. The moves all have a good deal of landing lag, so for the sake of practice, you can do a full jump, then perform the aerial close to the ground, and test out your l canceling and watch the difference in the landing animations, and maybe even try jabbing as quickly as you can after your aerials so you can see the difference in time between attacks as well. iff that isnt enough, watch this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE

it's the best tutorial out there for newcomers to melee. watch the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom