• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "I need help with ___"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine189

Smash Apprentice
Im having trouble learning the wall tech does it matter what sholder button you hit (L/R) and when recovering what is the best way to detemine when to hit the button and any good ways of practicing?

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
Divine189 said:
Im having trouble learning the wall tech does it matter what sholder button you hit (L/R) and when recovering what is the best way to detemine when to hit the button and any good ways of practicing?
It's the same if you press R or L, just use whichever you feel more comfortable with.

When recovering usually need to press L (or R) a half second before getting hit. A good way to practice is having a friend use peach and having him downsmash on the edge, then try to press L or R at the righ timming to make a succesful edgehog.

sarlaac_food

Smash Rookie
I have browsed some FAQs for different characters and they described different types of characters, like floaties, fast fallers, and space animals...some of these are obvious, but if there is a list anywhere of which character falls in which category I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

technomancer

Smash Champion
Tom - it's simply practice. Shorthopping it accomplished by pressing the jump button, but releasing it before the first frame that the character leaves the ground. The best way to practice is just to go into training mode, and practice doing them with Bowser. Bowser jumps the slowest, so it should be easy to get his timing. Once you've mastered that, try Marth, and them move on to Fox, for increases in speed.

Another good thing to practice while short-hopping is fast-falling at the tip of the jump. This is a good habit to get into, simply tap down on the analog stick at the height of your jump and you'll fall significantly faster, and doing this consistantly will speed up your game lots.

sonicPearltsl25

Smash Journeyman
i need help with the easiest way to get a little tiny 5 kos in cruel melee...idk what caracter what strategy as long as its the easiest u can think of and most efective

Schweppes

Smash Ace
Easiest way: Use Roy. Get on the ledge, wait for all the frames to herd together, jump off, and UP+B them. It should kill them if you catch them with the inside.

tom.

Smash Apprentice
thanks technomancer, so when at peak of jump i just have to tap it down once.. not hold it right?

Vegis

Smash Rookie
Tom.: You can only ShortHop your first Hop, the second jump will always be a full jump.

Vegis

Edit: ****it, didn't look at the Date from the last post... :\

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
When doing the "Link grounded" glitch, how do I actually getstuck? I throw the boomerang, hook, catch it, roll up, and fall off instead of getting stuck.:confused:

Blood Falcon

Smash Journeyman
is there any way to survive after Link does an Up+B at the edge? you die almost instantly and you're way too far from the edge to tech and if you try to sweetspot it, he can spike you with a down tilt. it gets really discouraging knowing that nothing can be done

D.R.

Smash Apprentice
Any advice on JC grabs guys? i only get it 50% of the time.

I use to have that problem, but in order to "JC" 100% of the time you would have to press the jump button before hitting Z. I press X than quickly press Z. Maybe your problem is that your trying to Press X and Z at the same time. :smash:

bigb loves to smash

Smash Rookie
u dum as hell

u dum as hell ***** best idea is something yo dumass could eva think jigglypuffs rest attack ***** get it got it good

and remeber dumass bigb loves to smash

Makankosappo

Smash Rookie
Im not sure if this has been answered yet,but its a question in the firts post.

How the hell do you beat Event Match 51?

I tried with Jigglypuff and her down B and managed to kill off Bowser and 1 stock off Ganon but thats it.I tried many times afterwards and got the same or worse result.Any pointers?

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Event 51

Im not sure if this has been answered yet,but its a question in the firts post.

How the hell do you beat Event Match 51?

I tried with Jigglypuff and her down B and managed to kill off Bowser and 1 stock off Ganon but thats it.I tried many times afterwards and got the same or worse result.Any pointers?
Try beating it with your main, if you are having problems with Jigglypuff. I remember trying to do it with Jigglypuff over and over and not getting it, then switching to Ness and getting it first try, and hardly trying either. If you don't know how to use Jigglypuff, trying to do it with him isn't going to help one bit.

The other thing, they are computers, and computers are stupid. It's pretty easy to trick the ganon and mewtwo to suicide. Also, they fall for repetitive strategies which no human ever will. It's not that hard once you know how to beat computers.

Makankosappo

Smash Rookie
Try beating it with your main, if you are having problems with Jigglypuff. I remember trying to do it with Jigglypuff over and over and not getting it, then switching to Ness and getting it first try, and hardly trying either. If you don't know how to use Jigglypuff, trying to do it with him isn't going to help one bit.

The other thing, they are computers, and computers are stupid. It's pretty easy to trick the ganon and mewtwo to suicide. Also, they fall for repetitive strategies which no human ever will. It's not that hard once you know how to beat computers.
I'm just starting out with advanced techniques,im no good at l-canceling or wavedashing and all that yet.At the moment when i try with Link (main),i spam his up-b,I dont really remember how it went though,I'll try again later and see how it goes.

However I did mangae to trick one into suicide,forgot who.I jumped off and longshotted the under side of the level and he jumped down to get me and ended up dieing.Tried it multiple times afterwards but i can't get it to work that often.

PhantomEdge

Smash Journeyman
i love smash bros , but compared to my friends i suck completely. i want to know some good ways to get better any ideas anyone?

Jbutker

Smash Cadet
Immediately after a roll, tech, l-cancel, etc. is it faster to hold l to put up a shield or is it faster to tap l for l-cancel then tap and hold again for shield?

btango

Smash Rookie
What do you look at when you play?

This may sound like a silly question, but hear me out. Logically, one would think that you should look at your opponent when playing 1v1. This is because in order to anticipate his next move you need to know what he's doing right now.

However, I polled all of my smash-playing friends and everyone, including myself, looks at their own player when playing 1v1. This seems like an unconcious aspect of play that can have a big impact on how good of a player you are.

So, what do YOU look at and why? and how?

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
This may sound like a silly question, but hear me out. Logically, one would think that you should look at your opponent when playing 1v1. This is because in order to anticipate his next move you need to know what he's doing right now.

However, I polled all of my smash-playing friends and everyone, including myself, looks at their own player when playing 1v1. This seems like an unconcious aspect of play that can have a big impact on how good of a player you are.

So, what do YOU look at and why? and how?
Lol I look at the screen so I can play BOTH players. :p

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
Hey all. First post. Glad I found this thread. I dunno if it's a sticky (I used the search function) but it should be.

Anyway, I just want some tips. I used to main Kirby, but as I drew deeper into advanced tactics, I'm getting better with Marth and Fox, and I'm constantly improving my Mario. I may pick up Falcon for the awesome Knee. I can short hop on some good occasion (My best SHing comes with Mario, then Marth and rarely with Fox) I can wavedash poorly, so I rarley use it. I'm slowly trying to get myself off rolling. I can Pivot half well and dash dance. I can also JC grab.

I constantly play a Zelda player. I mean constant. He picks nobody else but Zelda anymore. Her useage rate is 20%. Though he transforms into an occasional Sheik, Zelda is the general default.

He gives me trouble even though I prevail. Just need some tips. First off, he shield rolls at a hellish rate. He's not a super n00b, since he'll grab afterward, thusly catching me on Dsmash lag. (Marth especially) We rarely get roll chains, since I don't roll that often anymore.

Also he has a fetish for dash attacks. Sheik especially. The best thing I can do is anticipate it, and I usually catch him in full jumps. I'm afraid he'll catch on to that soon. Shield grabbing sometimes works, but when the attack fails, he'll usually resort to rolling away.

When playing as Zelda, he pretty much caught on to her to useful moves: F/D air. Though he's pretty predictable in use. He'll just full jumpt, and try to hit. Problem is, I can't punish him correctly for it. I can defend it though. I'm a tad afraid on the range at least with Fox or Mario. With Marth, I'd **** him with an Fsmash. Also, I find myself at the butt of Nayru's love alot. I'll try to sex kixk or something, and end up getting comboed with that. Any surfeire counters. The last semi annoying thing is that I was caught in a ftilt chain with his Zelda once, that got me to 60%. I blame Fox and his fastfalling.

Also, I do fall in some terrible Sheik air combos. Fair as the finisher. He likes to uair much with both Zelda forms when I'm above him. Using Marth's Dair and counter works wonders for me in that catogory. Fox and Mario need some help there. Mario especially.

With Sheik he's a Dsmash addict. He'll hit it mid 'combo'. Also, netural a is something I have trouble with in his Sheik mode. I try to use the shine to stop it but the one frame isn't enough. Any easy way to avoid it. I usually DI out and Fmsmash accordingly.

So that's about it. While counter tips are appeciated, I kinda made this to help my game improve as a whole.

00cnr

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone. I just found this website and, unfortunatly, seeing some of these "advanced" tactics, which I had no idea existed, poped my "I'm amazing at smash bubble". My main character is Marth, followed closely by Fox, who I just discovered as a great character. So, now that I find myself almost, but not entirely, a newbie, I've decided to attempt to learn the advanced techniques shown in the ATHP series of movies.

I need some help with practicing SHFFLing. I've been using practice mode and going on slow motion usually 1/2 speed for short hops and l-canceling. On that speed and one 2/3 I have been able to consistenly do the L-Cancel and on, mostly, the short hop. The problem comes in when I move into full speed.

With the increase of speed, my timing is off for L-Canceling and I am rarely able to pull one off. Also, with short hopping, I have the same problem. What do you use when you short hop? The control stick or the X/Y button?

How do you suggest I better practice these skills in order to master them, or am I moving in the right direction and just need more patience?

Your input is appreciated

whiteboard

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone. I just found this website and, unfortunatly, seeing some of these "advanced" tactics, which I had no idea existed, poped my "I'm amazing at smash bubble". My main character is Marth, followed closely by Fox, who I just discovered as a great character. So, now that I find myself almost, but not entirely, a newbie, I've decided to attempt to learn the advanced techniques shown in the ATHP series of movies.

I need some help with practicing SHFFLing. I've been using practice mode and going on slow motion usually 1/2 speed for short hops and l-canceling. On that speed and one 2/3 I have been able to consistenly do the L-Cancel and on, mostly, the short hop. The problem comes in when I move into full speed. And I use X.

With the increase of speed, my timing is off for L-Canceling and I am rarely able to pull one off. Also, with short hopping, I have the same problem. What do you use when you short hop? The control stick or the X/Y button?

How do you suggest I better practice these skills in order to master them, or am I moving in the right direction and just need more patience?

Your input is appreciated
I'm not an expert, but what I did was go to full speed and just keep trying to do the timing for any advanced tech differently until you do it once. Then just try to do that timing again. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's like guessing a number. If the number is 357, you first find out it's between 300 and 400, then you find out it's between 350 and 360, and then you'll eventually get it. Sorry for the bad explanation.

Superstarmario: I once played as a Sheik against a Fox all the time, and I remember hating it when he would juggle me with uairs and usmashes. It's a good thing to do and you could probably use it against Zelda, as well.

I also have a question. I play Falco, Samus, a so-so Luigi, and a so-so Sheik. Can someone give me a list of what characters I could use against which characters, in terms of counterpicking? I would prefer Falco and Samus, but if they are both bad against a certain character, then I can play as one of the others. Thanks!:)

sarlaac_food

Smash Rookie
How can I save my jump until I get near the edge but still recover from being smashed offstage? (i'm using Marth btw)

Thanks

v3x?

Smash Journeyman
just dont use your jump till the very end, create for momentum using delaid forward b's in the air :)

sarlaac_food

Smash Rookie
Alright, I have another question:

What is the best way to edge hog against a fox/falco recovering with the firefox/firebird attack? (i'm using marth, btw) I have seen vids where it was done, but it looked like the edgehogger jumped just before the flaes reached him. Any help is much appreciated.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Whenever a fox/falco is recovering and you are using Marth, I would rather use Fsmash and dtilt to edgeguard.

I'm not saying edgehogging doesn't work but edgeguarding is more effective. Gerenerally, it depends on the situation and where your oppoenet is coming from.

nookrulz

Smash Ace
can someone give me a link to official rules of SSBM tournaments?
http://mlgpro.com/?q=events/2006/ne...&pagenumber=0=0&query=node/35785&pagenumber=0
scroll down about 2/3 of the way. The parts that apply to most SSBM tournaments are "Controllers", "Open Competition" (besides all the seeding stuff), "Stage and Character Selection", and "Other Rules and Special Issues".

Parts that many tourneys differ slightly on are banned & random stages, the series-expansion dealy that MLG has, and maybe the pause rule.

DSGamer3002

Smash Rookie
Okay... PLEASE Don't call me a noob, but I'm seriously having trouble short hopping with Shiek. Is there any way to "train" myself to make it easier to short hop with her?

Thanks in advance. :)

whiteboard

Smash Cadet
I had this trouble, too. I think it's just that Sheik has a very high short hop. Kind of like Samus.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
sheiks shorthop is pretty high, so sometimes it doesnt seem like you even shorthopped with her anyway.

however, if ur having a lot of trouble, some of my friends like to shorthop by scratching the edge of the x/y button, kinda making that ticking noise thing, its annoying but i guess it works for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom