• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official For Glory / Online Features Discussion (/・ω・)/

Camsterchief

Smash Cadet
The reason I'm not trippin about the FD only stages, is that I think its very unlikely we wont get any platform stages. Theres already a smashville and battlefield. you got Arena Ferox, Boxing Ring, Pilot Wings. Althought it does look like a majority of the stages will be gimmicky, and the FD variants will probably out weigh platforms stages. Although thats very few, its already more stages than melee

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
... I think its very unlikely we wont get any platform stages. Theres already a smashville and battlefield.
Except that is preceisly what Sakurai said ... FD only (which includes FD variants of other stages). Basically we'll get all stages but they'll be dumbed down to a single flat surface a la FD with no platforms to speak of. He's also said he's not making any (more) design changes... so I hate to say it, this is it. If he does change his mind, though.. I'll eat this post :D

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Except that is preceisly what Sakurai said ... FD only (which includes FD variants of other stages). Basically we'll get all stages but they'll be dumbed down to a single flat surface a la FD with no platforms to speak of. He's also said he's not making any (more) design changes... so I hate to say it, this is it. If he does change his mind, though.. I'll eat this post :D

He never said "no more design changes". At the very beginning of the video he said: "keep in mind there might be changes".

Also there are FD-Variants only in one sub-mode of the online mode play. There is still local play and with friends play which will have many platform stages for you to choose.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I took that to mean simple changes... deciding to forgo the FD variant aspect in For Glory to me is a major change, unless it turns out that going back and forth between them isn't hard (as in, instead of having 2 version of the same stage saved to file, you have one version with the foreground elements like platforms, etc just drawn in after the stage itself is picked, or something).

But I'm fully prepared to be wrong. I hope I'm wrong, I don't really like the idea of For Glory matches being limited to SF-esque stages. It'll cause a lot of edge camping games, etc. I just, I dunno, I mean in Brawl if you've ever noticed most matches go straight to the edge and stay there, either side. At least in BF you can take the match to either ledge or vertically even. And in SV you can play with the moving platform. We'll see.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I took that to mean simple changes... deciding to forgo the FD variant aspect in For Glory to me is a major change, unless it turns out that going back and forth between them isn't hard (as in, instead of having 2 version of the same stage saved to file, you have one version with the foreground elements like platforms, etc just drawn in after the stage itself is picked, or something).

But I'm fully prepared to be wrong. I hope I'm wrong, I don't really like the idea of For Glory matches being limited to SF-esque stages. It'll cause a lot of edge camping games, etc. I just, I dunno, I mean in Brawl if you've ever noticed most matches go straight to the edge and stay there, either side. At least in BF you can take the match to either ledge or vertically even. And in SV you can play with the moving platform. We'll see.

It doesn't matter how you took it, he didn't say there were no more design decisions.

Anything can be changed, it happens. Also the FD variants are actually different stages. They have different lengths, elements, edges, slopes and boundaries. Its still having 2 copies instead of 1.

Its ok if you think it won't change. I also believe it won't change, but you don't have to go around claiming Sakurai said himself he won't change it, because he hasn't.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
You guys are still debating why Sakurai included FD stages in Online play?

I highly doubt that all of you will be playing in a random online mode anyway. Smashboards has a plethora of users that would gladly give a friend code, and then you all can play according to your own rules. Although I know said friends won't be able to play online all the time, for Glory will just provide a safe alternative to madness that was Brawl's Online.

Remember people: It's all going to be cool. Sakurai is putting in a no item, no controversial stage mode for online play!

Don't think of it as a punishment, think of it as a gift. Sakurai isn't going to hit it out of the ball park on his first try, but For Glory is better than nothing, or Brawl's Online.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
^ I will be playing mostly in glory mode. it's my thing... I play 1-2 hours of w/a team battle every day/night, it's why I got brawl in the first place, because it was literally one of the first ever online fighting games that didn't require a PC and was on a console I could get behind. Not your point, I know, and I agree, I am all for this new mode, it's exactly the kind of improvements that the brawl online mode needed.

... you don't have to go around claiming Sakurai said himself he won't change it, because he hasn't.
ugh, I can't find the blasted post I read this in but I wasn't making this up someone already said in another thread that development was done on the major aspects of the game. Minor changes, the ones I believe he was alluding to in his direct, would be things like, mario's hat color, or some other relatively superficial or cosmetic changes.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
So, do you guys think we will be able to put different nicknames online when playing or will your nintendo network ID dictate your nickname.

Let me explain myself better. We already know our Nintendo Network accounts will be used for online play but do you guys think we will be able to set a nickname to be shown in game separate from your NNID or will it just show your NNID in game?

What about people who have 6+ long NNID, will it be shown or will it not be shown?

What are your opinions?

Last edited:

CaSTEELO

Smash Rookie
NNID
CaSTEELO
3DS FC
0963-0535-1293
So, do you guys think we will be able to put different nicknames online when playing or will your nintendo network ID dictate your nickname.

Let me explain myself better. We already know our Nintendo Network accounts will be used for online play but do you guys think we will be able to set a nickname to be shown in game separate from your NNID or will it just show your NNID in game?

What about people who have 6+ long NNID, will it be shown or will it not be shown?

What are your opinions?
I think before/after matches our NNID will show but during matches we'll be free to use any tag we want.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Alright so was there any clarification as to how online banning works? I get rage quitting, entering but not playing, ect but the one I'm most confused about is relentlessly attacking one player, now I don't want to make any judgement as to how I feel about it because I'm pretty sure I'm missing something regarding it but how will it work? Or how do you think it'd work?

To me it makes sense in a few situations, now obviously we gotta keep in mind that this will likely only work in 3 to 4 player battles. For one some Newbie is going to have those matches where one guy will take advantage of their lack of skill and will just keep beating on them and the way the system would read it would probably be "Oh this player has been beating on this other player who hasn't been able to get a single hit for a while he must be bullying this other person."

Or it could tie into the whole rule of, you can't enter a match and just stand there doing nothing but one of the other one, two, or three players are beating on the person doing nothing and the system reads it as the same as the other suggestion I mentioned.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Alright so was there any clarification as to how online banning works? I get rage quitting, entering but not playing, ect but the one I'm most confused about is relentlessly attacking one player, now I don't want to make any judgement as to how I feel about it because I'm pretty sure I'm missing something regarding it but how will it work? Or how do you think it'd work?

To me it makes sense in a few situations, now obviously we gotta keep in mind that this will likely only work in 3 to 4 player battles. For one some Newbie is going to have those matches where one guy will take advantage of their lack of skill and will just keep beating on them and the way the system would read it would probably be "Oh this player has been beating on this other player who hasn't been able to get a single hit for a while he must be bullying this other person."

Or it could tie into the whole rule of, you can't enter a match and just stand there doing nothing but one of the other one, two, or three players are beating on the person doing nothing and the system reads it as the same as the other suggestion I mentioned.
I doubt it'll be an automated system because things like intentionally SDing are pretty loosely defined. I imagine when you report somebody it sends a replay to an admin.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I doubt it'll be an automated system because things like intentionally SDing are pretty loosely defined. I imagine when you report somebody it sends a replay to an admin.
If it's based off players reporting others I think that makes the most sense as long as the admins are able to analyze thelast match.

Dread Fighter

Smash Rookie
NNID
pammygayle
3DS FC
0130-3036-4347
I wonder what Sakurai means by "relentlessly targeting a single individual"

Bobojack

Smash Apprentice
Im so happy that my Miiverse-name is the same as my Smashboards name! I also hope team battles will be a thing in For Glory! (even though I wouldn't play it a lot)

Shog

Smash Ace
I read some pages of it and people hope it will be stock > time. Sorry for bursting the bubble but I think this won't happen.
You see, the difference between stock and time is, especially in a 4 fighter match, that if someone dies first, it literally means waiting until the game is finished. With Time, you can always respawn.
However, considering most of us will make up our own rules anways and final destination no items means much less lag, I really appreaciate this mode

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I read some pages of it and people hope it will be stock > time. Sorry for bursting the bubble but I think this won't happen.
You see, the difference between stock and time is, especially in a 4 fighter match, that if someone dies first, it literally means waiting until the game is finished. With Time, you can always respawn.
However, considering most of us will make up our own rules anways and final destination no items means much less lag, I really appreaciate this mode
Sakurai did say something about 1v1 matches, so 1v1 stock is a possibility.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I wonder what Sakurai means by "relentlessly targeting a single individual"
Anyone who's played Basic Brawl online for more than 10 minutes knows what this means.

People will gang up on one person continuously through matches. Its really annoying....

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Anyone who's played Basic Brawl online for more than 10 minutes knows what this means.

People will gang up on one person continuously through matches. Its really annoying....
This is what drove me away from Random Online matches in Brawl... oh, and the taunt parties.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
This is going to sound so weird, but I'm curious about the psychological aspect For Glory brings.

Back during my PSASBR days if you were mad at someone for beating you in an FFA and said you could take them one on one you always fought on a stage nicknamed PS2. When tournaments really started to kick up, everyone just played on that stage as they were so familiar with it and everyone considered it the stage for competitive matches.

I'm wondering if a similar effect will happen with FD becoming the new Smashville of sorts, a stage everyone says is the best and wants to play on just because they played on it so frequently.

D

Deleted member 245254

Sakurai did say something about 1v1 matches, so 1v1 stock is a possibility.
I think that just confirms that 1v1 matches are a possibility, he doesn't say anything about stock.

I think stock would be great but I'm pretty sure it will end up being time, but I'm totally down to be proven otherwise. I want stock, myself.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
He did mention stock battles when he was talking about 'with friends' mode. I would not be surprised if they stuck to time matches on 'with anyone' mode similar to what they did in Brawl for the sake of reducing how much time is spent in the random matchmaking process.

D

Deleted member 245254

He did mention stock battles when he was talking about 'with friends' mode. I would not be surprised if they stuck to time matches on 'with anyone' mode similar to what they did in Brawl for the sake of reducing how much time is spent in the random matchmaking process.
Well 'with friends' will be whatever settings you desire, this much we already know from the direct.

Realistically, even if 1v1 For Glory mode ends up being time, it really doesn't affect much. aside from (possibly) making the matches longer than they need to be. If they put the timer at 2 minutes that's plenty of time for you to get a hype little match up in with a random and find out who is the better player, a nice quick little match for those who don't have all the time in the world to play. Stocks really don't mean much in this regard. The better player would win all the same.

On the positive side, let's say you come up against a player that is just horrendously better than you and would 3 stock you in a minute. Given the time is set to 2 minutes (hopefully longer...), that player is generally obligated to sit the match out with you, allowing you to practice with that player longer than you might get the chance if it were stock.

There's really no reason to be afraid of time matches, because it really doesn't affect the whole point of the mode, which is to match up against others (of your skill level...according to Sakurai).

It will matter what the time would be set to, though. Two minutes seems a bit short for a match to really get heated, so if they decide to go with time I'd hope they bump it up to at least 4-5 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well 'with friends' will be whatever settings you desire, this much we already know from the direct.

Realistically, even if 1v1 For Glory mode ends up being time, it really doesn't affect much. aside from (possibly) making the matches longer than they need to be. If they put the timer at 2 minutes that's plenty of time for you to get a hype little match up in with a random and find out who is the better player, a nice quick little match for those who don't have all the time in the world to play. Stocks really don't mean much in this regard. The better player would win all the same.

On the positive side, let's say you come up against a player that is just horrendously better than you and would 3 stock you in a minute. Given the time is set to 2 minutes (hopefully longer...), that player is generally obligated to sit the match out with you, allowing you to practice with that player longer than you might get the chance if it were stock.

There's really no reason to be afraid of time matches, because it really doesn't affect the whole point of the mode, which is to match up against others (of your skill level...according to Sakurai).

It will matter what the time would be set to, though. Two minutes seems a bit short for a match to really get heated, so if they decide to go with time I'd hope they bump it up to at least 4-5 minutes.
Two minutes was enough for things to get pretty heated in Brawl even.
But it'd usually end with sudden death....
I wonder if Sakurai will let us win by percent like we do in tournaments?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The whole 2 minute timer thing kinda messed me up actually. I basically got to where I was COUNTING on the 2 min end so that it could go to sudden death, then I'd just hope for the best. When I play stock I usually go out really quick b/c my playstyle is really aggressive due to the fact that I still play as if I have to get as many KO's in under 2 min as possible, so by the 2 min mark in stocks I usually have no stocks left, lol.

Basically I nerfed my chances at being good in stock tournaments by developing a playstyle that's not conducive to them. But I'm good with it, I doubt I'd go to an actual offline tourney anyway, and online tournaments are too laggy (hope this new iteration of smash is better on that front).

Meanwhile, introducing stock as an option in 1v1 For Glory would be nice, b/c the mode itself is aimed at competitive players and thus stocks have always been the choice.

If it stays timer I'd like to see it go to 3 minutes. I've gotten pretty good at 3-stocking good opponents in under 3 minutes. In fact in most brawls it seems to take approx 1 min to stock an opponent and so long as you get them first before they get you, you'll 9 times outta 10 win (unless they were asleep at the wheel the first stock and decide they're there to play and come back to whoop ya).

D

Deleted member 245254

was there a confirmation for time in for glory?
There's precedence only for time being the format, given it's the default mode in all games and was used in the most recent iteration of online smash.

Confirmation is necessary for stock.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
There's precedence only for time being the format, given it's the default mode in all games and was used in the most recent iteration of online smash.

Confirmation is necessary for stock.
Good point. Oh well, there's something to be said for timed matches anyway.

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
if Sakurai does add stock, then just make it 3 stocks with a 4 minute time limit.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
What I hope they add is an option to play 2 vs 2.

Me and a friend has always been interested in fighting 2 other guys through the internet in proper settings.
Well, what we got from the direct was only free for all and 1v1's right?

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
No. I see people posting that For Glory mode is an insult, that he's acting like a petulant 4-channer and that the only reason it's FD is because of a meme, people posting that For Glory mode is trash, and then this thread, posting that For Glory mode "needs to be saved", as though it's just so obviously worthless without... what, exactly? "One or two stages?" Which ones? Oh, so we NEVER agreed on stage lists before, and you just think that, magically, Sakurai is going to pick any stage combination, and this forum will be happy with it?

You DO realize that even adding BF screws up his whole system. Ok, there's two stages: what happens to the poor IC main who gets BF 5 ranked matches in a row, assuming it's randomly selected? If you expect them to go through the matchmaking effort to alternate stages and only match people who are at the same point in the rotation, you're insane. And, again, that's in addition to the bull**** arguing that he's going to get ANYWAY. "Why only BF? What about City and Town, it's fair!" "Why not X stage?" "Y stage is bull****, it should NEVER have been added to the rotation! >_<"

I'm not angry that people suggest things, I'm angry at people who blame the director of probably the best hype video this community has ever gotten in the decades this series has existed, and yet didn't take a second to look inwards ONCE and think that maybe WE'RE the reason that he took the safe bet and only enabled FD.

I am not surprised IN THE SLIGHTEST that For Glory only has FD. It's the smart, safe bet. And, it falls in line with us and how we play and act.

And this means absolutely jack **** in this discussion.

Yes, there is. Because, there STILL isn't absolute consensus about whether we should conceptualize things based on Neutral / CP/ Banned or Starter / CP / Banned, because we STILL don't even agree on whether ANY stage is "neutral" or what "neutral" even MEANS. We haven't even gotten our own **** straight, and you expect him to roll out the gate before release is even in sight, and know which other stages we would be happy with?

I'm aiming that at everyone *****ing about For Glory mode as though it's A ) worthy of a Twitter campaign, or B ) seriously upset that Sakurai took the time out of his ****ing schedule to give us as much as he has, actively acknowledging us and our community through a dedicated game mode, and yet STILL aren't even close to being satisfied, or C ) actually surprised that he made the safe choice with FD. The point is that I will put PayPal money on the line right the **** now that the same people who would seriously do this Twitter thing will ban 50% of the game outright on release day without testing ****. And that's the stereotype. And it's because of those people that Sakurai made the safe choice and picked FD, I guarantee it.

Don't blame 4-chan or even Sakurai. The ONLY people we have to blame are ourselves.
I haven't actually logged in since Brawl came out. I just needed to make sure I liked this post because it's about the most intelligent and truthful thing anyone on this board has posted in about 10 years.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
So I have a bit of a question that I didn't think warranted it's own thread. Hopefully this is the right place to ask.

Aside from higher numbers being better.... how is Global Smash Power any different than a traditional ranking system? I don't quite understand how reversing the order changes anything, except for the fact that now being the absolute best is slightly more abstracted, whereas before, being the absolute worst was the more difficult number to identify.

If you know how many copies of the game have been purchased, then any ambiguity is gone. At that point, what's the difference?

Am I just really stupid for not understanding the implications? Or is it just cooler to be able to say "MY POWER LEVEL IS OVER 9000! (or whatever suits you)

Top Bottom