• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official For Glory / Online Features Discussion (/・ω・)/

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Well it's just more that I think it's what he was was going for or at least what I thought of it.

That's a valid point too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Hearing a few of the online features for Mario Kart 8 makes me wonder what other online features we'll see for this?

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Dear lord bring that tournament option here.
Not to be a party pooper, but adding more online options for smash isn't good compared to a racing online game. We will probably have to wait much longer. I'm hoping he doesn't add another online mode UNLESS HE REPLACES GLORY MODE WITH TOURNAMENT MODE THAT WOULD BE GOOD.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Not to be a party pooper, but adding more online options for smash isn't good compared to a racing online game. We will probably have to wait much longer. I'm hoping he doesn't add another online mode UNLESS HE REPLACES GLORY MODE WITH TOURNAMENT MODE THAT WOULD BE GOOD.
why not tournament mode works for street fighter and such. 3 modes to me sounds good when not playing with friends.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
why not tournament mode works for street fighter and such. 3 modes to me sounds good when not playing with friends.
Cuz then I can see less going to tournament mode, so if you take out for glory, more will go to tournament mode (only option for competitive players)

That's the way I see it. I favor tournament mode over for glory mode. Actually nvm.....instantly I remembered....matches would be too long for tournament mode.

Soo, ye I would stick to for glory mode. So i can exit out easier. but ye it doesn't hurt to add another, I would rather play shorter matches though with the ban system. I don't want it to be like league of legends, every game being like minimum 20 minutes long and u can't leave cuz u may get banned or reported and such.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I wonder... Will bans be put on players who go into fun mode but are way better then the 5 year olds that mode is meant for e.g. taunt party crashers etc. Hmmm

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I wonder... Will bans be put on players who go into fun mode but are way better then the 5 year olds that mode is meant for e.g. taunt party crashers etc. Hmmm
The bans will be on both modes, because of brawl issues overall in online mode. I highly doubt it will just focus on "For Glory" mode.

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
will we be able to make our own tournament rules and replays? since nintendo is doing this with MK8, I thought being able to make tournament rulesets on for fun and for glory would be interesting.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
will we be able to make our own tournament rules and replays? since nintendo is doing this with MK8, I thought being able to make tournament rulesets on for fun and for glory would be interesting.
actually when I think about it, this year e3 they are showing 16 player tournament, so they might reveal the tournament mode online that day?

im assuming.....

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The bans will be on both modes, because of brawl issues overall in online mode. I highly doubt it will just focus on "For Glory" mode.
Yeah I buy that but where will they draw the line I wonder... I dunno fun is so subjective ya know? Plus do you think they'll keep input logs of matches so they can go back and watch matches in which someone was flagged by another user for abuse?

Last edited:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I buy that but where will they draw the line I wonder... I dunno fun is so subjective ya know? Plus do you think they'll keep input logs of matches so they can go back and watch matches in which someone was flagged by another user for abuse?
Where will they draw the line? Well I'm going to ask you what's the rules to getting banned. Go check the direct video where they show the rules about banning players for "online play" as they stated.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Oh I've seen it I'm just contemplating the ifs. Afk abuse ganging up etc it's all fine and well but it seems impractical. And loads of work not to mention. As I said they'll have to keep input logs just to vet complaints not to mention the subjectivity of it all. The whole taunt party aspect seems illegal now. Not that I mind but there's entire flocks of people who enjoy them immensely to the point of obsession.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Well if they really enjoy taunt parties that much, they can find some like minded friends and play them with each other. In my opinion that's one group of people that doesn't deserve to be accounted for. Their fun is essentially predicated on taking fun away from others.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Well if they really enjoy taunt parties that much, they can find some like minded friends and play them with each other. In my opinion that's one group of people that doesn't deserve to be accounted for. Their fun is essentially predicated on taking fun away from others.
exactly what I was trying to say to him, but couldn't explain it to him for some reason. It's Common Sense.

Thank you.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Ah so let's put that in the box so to speak. Taunt partiers are not welcome in the new online for fun mode. Now that was just an example. He's already said fixed item selection will be disallowed e.g. only pokeballs high etc. so that's two, afk is bannible eliminating the popular minigame who can ko the afk the most...

There's more but that wasn't even my point, the point was that policing this mode is futile without first acknowledging that to do so is to assume an authority over what would be deemed "fun". Granted it's usually this way, game makers make a game and the audience determines if it's fun and if there are ways to play it "wrong" for added amusement. I just think it's worth discussing this model's intentions for moderating and how it will effect the audience. The esrb clearly declined to speak to online interactions because of the sheer difficulty in policing, ensuring an E rating for example, will this somehow be different? I can only assume they have good intentions and personally I can't wait for spam free matches - in for glory - but in for fun I think it to be a slippery slope to try to police behavior that isn't obviously disruptive.

And just play with friends isn't a good option really. Like minded people were found in With nyone mode through no help outside the game.

Again I'm not against these reform so much as I fear the outcome should they really try to enforce rules of conduct in a mode meant for levity.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Temporary bans from online play
- Starting and not playing
- Relentless targeting of an individual
- Repeated Self-destructs
- Frequent Dropping
- Cheats

- Baseless reporting

I see what u mean by players "having fun". But, one thing is confirmed is that the bans are for "online play" as in both modes.

The only thing I see will be problem for players "having fun" is the "Repeated Self-destructs" but that is reasonable to add cuz it would ruin the fun for others. But it all depends on the other online players, if they are going to report that suicidal player or not. Even if they suicide once as a joke, the ones checking the footage to ban him or not, must follow the rules as it states for banning players. Otherwise, it would be baseless reporting, however the player reporting the one-time suicidal player, was not baseless.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
FOR FUN is the one I will (probably ) use slightly more of.

I NEED online tournament mode, yes..........even for the 3ds.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I see what u mean by players "having fun".
Excellent! Now that you understand my point, we can hopefully hash it out in terms of how it'll work, cause I'm getting more and more anxious about it the more I think about it, lol

Let's see, well okay... (And remember this discussion is ONLY for "For Fun" mode. For glory mode should be 100% spam-free nonsense-free, treated as if it were a tournament each and EVERY time one logs in. Period.)

- Starting and not playing (Away From Controller)

I've done this, on purpose, just to see what the others will do. I nicknamed it Kirby Kick Ball, lol. I actually had a ton of With Anyone mini-games that I either made up or witnessed others making up and listed them in my online Guide, but it's not up anymore. Anyway, I think it not to be a good idea to go all moderator heavy on AFCs. especially people that happen to need to go to the bathroom, for instance. Maybe you get stuck on the toilet. Next thing you know 10 minutes have passed, and everyone's mad because P2 keeps winning cause they're better at knocking out the AFC than they are and you get back from the bathroom, server disconnected and now you can't log back in for 3 days because of "AFC abuse." Seriously? Cause I had to use the bathroom? "Drop out." Ok, I'll just drop out every time my phone rings, or I have to pee, or mosquito flies by. Hell no. Plus, I be paying money for this game, if I buy it solely for online matches in with anyone mode, and I get banned for ANY amount of time, and it's due to something completely OUT of my control, you bet I'm calling Nintendo, and before the day's out, I'll be having me a mf refund for buying a game I can't play.

- Relentless targeting of an individual (Taunt Party Crashers)

This I'm not even sure happens -unless- it's 1 player entering a room of 3 taunt partiers, and they can't take the hint and drop out, they instead INSIST upon forcing THEIR ideals on the majority! And then wonder why they get ganged up on? Indeed the taunt party crashers I know of, the ones that post in the "How to crash a taunt party" thread in Online Discussion, WANT to get ganged up on, so they can show just how badass they are compared to the 3 scrubs. This is the one that made me think about Taunt Parties and what will happen to them in the new game.

So far we haven't seen any indication that there will be a Team Battle mode in either Fun/Glory so... I'm not sure why this even matters. In Team mode, yeah it matters, it sucks, cause if you're stuck on that team, you can't possibly win (well it's very hard, I have actually pulled out some victories, but only cause the other team was just that bad.) Perhaps this ban-type means there WILL be a Team Battle mode! Otherwise I don't see wtf the difference is if someone just wants to SD constantly, go for it, who cares? It isn't any less fun, and it doesn't distort the KOs anyway unless you happen to tag one while they're SDing, then that's an unfair KO and you should SD twice yourself to make it even.

- Frequent Dropping

I totally agree with PURPOSEFULLY dropping, as in hitting A+B+Z+START to drop out. It can drop the whole match (the insert CPU in their place doesn't always work if the connections are shaky) and that's crappy. However, they HAVE to be able to determine if it was purposeful or not, or this ban-type will be ludicrous. I know Sakuri has already apologized in advance and acknowledged that NWC sucked then, and will probably still suck now, lol but, that's such a weasel thing to do I'm almost ashamed he did it. In favor of him though, I do like the idea of banning folks that drop out - and especially in Glory mode. I had to stop playing MK on PS3 cause soon as you win the opponent would drop so their win/loss record would not be affected. Losers!

- Cheats

Absolutely. Hacking online I've thought it was funny, like once in a blue moon, and for 5 minutes. But it's so unstable it's really not worth it. I'd rather there be a ban on logging in with hacks on than risk the connection quality.

- Baseless reporting

Obviously this is ideal. If someone wants to be a jerk and just report someone for no other reason than they were better at them at the game, I can see this. I can also see a 4-way Fun match where 1 person is far superior in skill (happens all the time.) How do they protest (as in, dude can you please just drop out so we can go back to enjoying ourselves, your Godlike prowess is making me cry). Do they all drop in hopes of finding one another? Or do they report him for ganging up, hahahaha! Yeah the one dude ganged up on all three of us and it huuuurt. I don't think it'll be a problem, but reporting baseless reporting that was baseless may actually happen, lol we'll see. Meanwhile he DID say that there's going to be a matchup algorithm in place to ensure that like-skilled players are put together... but is it only going to be in Glory, or in Fun too. Hopefully it'll be in both (something tells me their laziness will ensure it'll be in both).

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Excellent! Now that you understand my point, we can hopefully hash it out in terms of how it'll work, cause I'm getting more and more anxious about it the more I think about it, lol

Let's see, well okay... (And remember this discussion is ONLY for "For Fun" mode. For glory mode should be 100% spam-free nonsense-free, treated as if it were a tournament each and EVERY time one logs in. Period.)

I've done this, on purpose, just to see what the others will do. I nicknamed it Kirby Kick Ball, lol. I actually had a ton of With Anyone mini-games that I either made up or witnessed others making up and listed them in my online Guide, but it's not up anymore. Anyway, I think it not to be a good idea to go all moderator heavy on AFCs. especially people that happen to need to go to the bathroom, for instance. Maybe you get stuck on the toilet. Next thing you know 10 minutes have passed, and everyone's mad because P2 keeps winning cause they're better at knocking out the AFC than they are and you get back from the bathroom, server disconnected and now you can't log back in for 3 days because of "AFC abuse." Seriously? Cause I had to use the bathroom? "Drop out." Ok, I'll just drop out every time my phone rings, or I have to pee, or mosquito flies by. Hell no. Plus, I be paying money for this game, if I buy it solely for online matches in with anyone mode, and I get banned for ANY amount of time, and it's due to something completely OUT of my control, you bet I'm calling Nintendo, and before the day's out, I'll be having me a mf refund for buying a game I can't play.

This I'm not even sure happens -unless- it's 1 player entering a room of 3 taunt partiers, and they can't take the hint and drop out, they instead INSIST upon forcing THEIR ideals on the majority! And then wonder why they get ganged up on? Indeed the taunt party crashers I know of, the ones that post in the "How to crash a taunt party" thread in Online Discussion, WANT to get ganged up on, so they can show just how badass they are compared to the 3 scrubs. This is the one that made me think about Taunt Parties and what will happen to them in the new game.

So far we haven't seen any indication that there will be a Team Battle mode in either Fun/Glory so... I'm not sure why this even matters. In Team mode, yeah it matters, it sucks, cause if you're stuck on that team, you can't possibly win (well it's very hard, I have actually pulled out some victories, but only cause the other team was just that bad.) Perhaps this ban-type means there WILL be a Team Battle mode! Otherwise I don't see wtf the difference is if someone just wants to SD constantly, go for it, who cares? It isn't any less fun, and it doesn't distort the KOs anyway unless you happen to tag one while they're SDing, then that's an unfair KO and you should SD twice yourself to make it even.

- Frequent Dropping

I totally agree with PURPOSEFULLY dropping, as in hitting A+B+Z+START to drop out. It can drop the whole match (the insert CPU in their place doesn't always work if the connections are shaky) and that's crappy. However, they HAVE to be able to determine if it was purposeful or not, or this ban-type will be ludicrous. I know Sakuri has already apologized in advance and acknowledged that NWC sucked then, and will probably still suck now, lol but, that's such a weasel thing to do I'm almost ashamed he did it. In favor of him though, I do like the idea of banning folks that drop out - and especially in Glory mode. I had to stop playing MK on PS3 cause soon as you win the opponent would drop so their win/loss record would not be affected. Losers!

- Cheats

Absolutely. Hacking online I've thought it was funny, like once in a blue moon, and for 5 minutes. But it's so unstable it's really not worth it. I'd rather there be a ban on logging in with hacks on than risk the connection quality.

- Baseless reporting

Obviously this is ideal. If someone wants to be a jerk and just report someone for no other reason than they were better at them at the game, I can see this. I can also see a 4-way Fun match where 1 person is far superior in skill (happens all the time.) How do they protest (as in, dude can you please just drop out so we can go back to enjoying ourselves, your Godlike prowess is making me cry). Do they all drop in hopes of finding one another? Or do they report him for ganging up, hahahaha! Yeah the one dude ganged up on all three of us and it huuuurt. I don't think it'll be a problem, but reporting baseless reporting that was baseless may actually happen, lol we'll see. Meanwhile he DID say that there's going to be a matchup algorithm in place to ensure that like-skilled players are put together... but is it only going to be in Glory, or in Fun too. Hopefully it'll be in both (something tells me their laziness will ensure it'll be in both).
Have you played League of Legends? If you did, you shouldn't be talking about this at all, cuz then you would understand right away

Look man, the world's big if you let one guy pass, it's like letting a million bypass the rules for getting banned...plus how will I b able to tell if you went to the bathroom lmao.....how am I able to tell you want to show those 3 scrubs who's badass?......people can lie...........So, it all must be based on footage and no excuses need to be heared.....play the online mode the way its given.

Think about it,

Would you break rules in tournaments?

Would you start making excuses during a match in a official tournament?
Example: My arm broke................The Guy then "checks and see with his own eyes" that is your arm actually broken. You see what im getting at. Footage is the only proof through online environment same goes for every other online game.

If your complaining about those issues, then my friend u really need to play MMO's such as League of Legends/ Dota 2 or anything that has pvp involved to understand what im trying to get @.

I prefer to be more strict because without those bans people would start abusing the online environment of ssb such as "League of Legends". I literally troll in that game, I rarely got banned, probably once LOL. out of all the times i've ruined other people games. Why u ask? Cuz I lie in chat...making those who check our matches to ban players...think that I had issues or show them that I'm actually doing my best (but really im trolling).

And about the bassless reporting? I didn't get what u said lol....

In short, the online banning system looks excellent so far in my eyes.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Have you played League of Legends? If you did, you shouldn't be talking about this at all, cuz then you would understand right away

Look man, the world's big if you let one guy pass, it's like letting a million bypass the rules for getting banned...plus how will I b able to tell if you went to the bathroom lmao.....how am I able to tell you want to show those 3 scrubs who's badass?......people can lie...........So, it all must be based on footage and no excuses need to be heared.....play the online mode the way its given.

Think about it,

Would you break rules in tournaments?

Would you start making excuses during a match in a official tournament?
Example: My arm broke................The Guy then "checks and see with his own eyes" that is your arm actually broken. You see what im getting at. Footage is the only proof through online environment same goes for every other online game.

If your complaining about those issues, then my friend u really need to play MMO's such as League of Legends/ Dota 2 or anything that has pvp involved to understand what im trying to get @.

I prefer to be more strict because without those bans people would start abusing the online environment of ssb such as "League of Legends". I literally troll in that game, I rarely got banned, probably once LOL. out of all the times i've ruined other people games. Why u ask? Cuz I lie in chat...making those who check our matches to ban players...think that I had issues or show them that I'm actually doing my best (but really im trolling).

That hilarious i get banned all the time. The Mexicans were trash talking bacon burgers and i told them to "shut up and eat a taco." Lol banned from chat right there.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
That hilarious i get banned all the time. The Mexicans were trash talking bacon burgers and i told them to "shut up and eat a taco." Lol banned from chat right there.
I highly doubt u got banned just for that reason cuz I never get banned I even dc in ranked. Each month I dc. So, overall we look at millions of players dc everyday because every individual dc once a month. Fact. That's why league seems like so many afk/dc/trolls because their given a second chance. However they do it again after a month or two.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd like to think that a recording of the match is sent to the mod, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
No I don't play league of legends or any other games online, only Brawl. As I said I used to play MK online (I mainly played MK2, sometimes MK3) but b/c there was no way to stop opponents from dc'ing after losing I gave up trying to get high in the leaderboard.

Besides comparing this online mode to another is worthless, no offense. Brawl online is a unique online experience that's grown and developed over years of gameplay and through thousands of participants. I am more concerned with brainstorming right now, if you can't tell. These are (hopefully) the same questions Sakuri and his dev team are asking themselves as they try to come up with a -viable- ruleset for online conduct. Just saying "AFC = banned" is short sighted and runs the risk of being highly unfair.

Also you missed where I said this particular discussion is for FUN mode ban-types and rules, so comparing to tournament conduct is also worthless, again no offense intended.

In short, I was saying it may be difficult to even define what "baseless" means. In a given circumstance it may seem perfectly fine to report someone for something then next thing you know YOU'RE the one getting banned because it turns out your reasons were unjustified. In a Fun-mode environment I see this happening.

I agree, it is a good idea, but it's got a long way to go before it's properly implementable, to where paying customers won't be demanding refunds. So far we have only a generalized list of things that Sakuri is hitting upon as necessary to incorporate into this: a list of ban-types. But beyond that there's been NO mention of the logistics. That's where I'm coming in, I'm hoping in this thread to generate some ideas of our own on how the logistics of this would actually play out. Far be it for me to assume that they'll actually look here and take some pointers, but it just seems like an important aspect to the online portion of the new game, and I like being proactive about it.

Oh, and about recording - I highly doubt that there will be actual vids of the games that are reviewed. It'd take way too much hardware to literally record EVERY match. It makes much more sense to just keep a log file of inputs (the same way that Brawl replays work). This said, you're talking a lot of manpower just to review all that. It may seem like there won't be tons and tons of ban-requests to review, but if as you say it's like that in -other- online games, adding this ban-feature to Smash may open a pandora's box.

Now in For-Glory mode, pft, piece of cake. It's a moot point really b/c Glory mode is defined as a mode for "serious" players, so there's hopefully not going to be much in the way crap to deal with, and I wouldn't expect anyone to have a hard time following the rules even as general as Sakuri's mentioned so far. But for Fun mode, yeah, this list is kinda stupid, there's really only 1 ban-type that's self explanatory - hackers - other than that there's a LOT of wiggle room, so he's going to have to really get specific if he doesn't want Nintendo headquarters blowing up with millions of calls from angry patrons, not to mention how it'll hurt future sales if early reviews come out showing just how problematic this all could be.

Moczan

Smash Rookie

Matches take 2 minutes, you can definitely hold your bathroom needs for that long. I don't think they will ban anyone for a single AFK match, but if you spend whole day just afking you may get one. Accidents happen, but if you are too busy to play the game, just don't do it, it's pretty simple.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

AFKing for any reason is still disrupting the others. You're ruining the other's game that they payed for. And of course, that game you bought was just a license to play AND you agreed to let Nintendo ban you from play if they want to, so they can do whatever they want to you.

I'd guess it's to prevent taunt parties and anything related.

That's to do with people feeding each other KOs or just making it unfun for the other player or players depending on the situation.

- Frequent Dropping

I imagine the room breaking when someone drops is something they'll fix, and I think Sakurai was implying that D/Cers will get grouped together and he acknowledged that it wasn't a perfect system because it's impossible to weed out intentional D/Cs. Let's just hope the 3DS version is somewhat lenient to D/Cs...

- Cheats

- Baseless reporting

MK8's randoms doesn't allow for real communication, I doubt SSB will either. With that, I don't see why people would want to stick together on randoms. Don't want to lose? Then leave.
Response in bold.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
No I don't play league of legends or any other games online, only Brawl. As I said I used to play MK online (I mainly played MK2, sometimes MK3) but b/c there was no way to stop opponents from dc'ing after losing I gave up trying to get high in the leaderboard.

Besides comparing this online mode to another is worthless, no offense. Brawl online is a unique online experience that's grown and developed over years of gameplay and through thousands of participants. I am more concerned with brainstorming right now, if you can't tell. These are (hopefully) the same questions Sakuri and his dev team are asking themselves as they try to come up with a -viable- ruleset for online conduct. Just saying "AFC = banned" is short sighted and runs the risk of being highly unfair.

Also you missed where I said this particular discussion is for FUN mode ban-types and rules, so comparing to tournament conduct is also worthless, again no offense intended.

In short, I was saying it may be difficult to even define what "baseless" means. In a given circumstance it may seem perfectly fine to report someone for something then next thing you know YOU'RE the one getting banned because it turns out your reasons were unjustified. In a Fun-mode environment I see this happening.

I agree, it is a good idea, but it's got a long way to go before it's properly implementable, to where paying customers won't be demanding refunds. So far we have only a generalized list of things that Sakuri is hitting upon as necessary to incorporate into this: a list of ban-types. But beyond that there's been NO mention of the logistics. That's where I'm coming in, I'm hoping in this thread to generate some ideas of our own on how the logistics of this would actually play out. Far be it for me to assume that they'll actually look here and take some pointers, but it just seems like an important aspect to the online portion of the new game, and I like being proactive about it.

Oh, and about recording - I highly doubt that there will be actual vids of the games that are reviewed. It'd take way too much hardware to literally record EVERY match. It makes much more sense to just keep a log file of inputs (the same way that Brawl replays work). This said, you're talking a lot of manpower just to review all that. It may seem like there won't be tons and tons of ban-requests to review, but if as you say it's like that in -other- online games, adding this ban-feature to Smash may open a pandora's box.

Now in For-Glory mode, pft, piece of cake. It's a moot point really b/c Glory mode is defined as a mode for "serious" players, so there's hopefully not going to be much in the way crap to deal with, and I wouldn't expect anyone to have a hard time following the rules even as general as Sakuri's mentioned so far. But for Fun mode, yeah, this list is kinda stupid, there's really only 1 ban-type that's self explanatory - hackers - other than that there's a LOT of wiggle room, so he's going to have to really get specific if he doesn't want Nintendo headquarters blowing up with millions of calls from angry patrons, not to mention how it'll hurt future sales if early reviews come out showing just how problematic this all could be.
For future reference i believe it spelled Sakurai.
And in all honesty i think people are thinking way to deep into temporary banning. Like seriously. Getting banned for 2 hours ever here and there is not that bad.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
For future reference i believe it spelled Sakurai.
And in all honesty i think people are thinking way to deep into temporary banning. Like seriously. Getting banned for 2 hours ever here and there is not that bad.
O Gawd I'm hoping ban doesn't take just 2 hours, it should be 12-24 hours minimum. Then keep increasing the time if they get reported again.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
O Gawd I'm hoping ban doesn't take just 2 hours, it should be 12-24 hours minimum. Then keep increasing the time if they get reported again.
That would be good to only if the suspension time goes down when ur being a good boy. Xd

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
His responses are in BOLD and its in your "Reply/post" which is in his Post lol
ah ha! I get it now. I never reply to ppl that way cause it makes it so difficult to reply back (I had to cut and paste every response of his into a separate tab instead of just parsing one quote with quote tags. But it's coo.

@ LancerStaff LancerStaff

OK, so...

AFKing for any reason is still disrupting the others. You're ruining the other's game that they payed for.

Maybe. I don't necessarily mind if a player goes AFC for a match or two, especially if they're good or better than me, cause then I consider it a fortune to have even run into them.

And of course, that game you bought was just a license to play AND you agreed to let Nintendo ban you from play if they want to, so they can do whatever they want to you.
Technically, yes, but from a consumer standpoint, I would feel misled if I bought the game with a specific understanding of the online rule, only to find out that it's completely different. That's like saying it's okay to sell someone a car knowing it doesn't have a gas tank, but not telling them that. Nintendo is "big" company too, so they want to remain positive in the eyes of their consumers. PR and all that. I can be very loud if I'm unhappy, especially using the interwebs ><

I'd guess it's to prevent taunt parties and anything related.
Yeah, see now me, I don't necessarily think that Taunt parties are all that bad - in moderation -. But it's true that I basically never go into regular BB anymore, and only TB, because TB seems to rarely if ever have taunt parties. If they do, it's usually because all 4 of us have really enjoyed brawling each other for an hour or two, and decide to just F around for a few rounds before signing off. Maybe we'll go to BoE and all pick Jiggs to see if we can get the giant jiggs glitch to work, whatever it is.

That said, singling out Taunt party goers and calling what they're doing "Wrong" or whatever, is perfectly legit -in for Glory- in for fun though, again this assumes some overarching definition of what "fun" means. It's not as if Sakurai says in the manual "in order to have fun in For Fun mode, you must never spam the taunt button, avoid battling..." fun = don't do taunt parties essentially. I mean if it was so un-fun then people wouldn't do it to begin with, right, so obviously it IS fun, it's just not fun for many of the posters here at SWF because most of the posters at SWF are "serious" players (lest I remind everyone that many posters also think anyone that enjoys w/a mode is a scrub by default), but they can suck it ^^;

That's to do with people feeding each other KOs or just making it unfun for the other player or players depending on the situation.
Ah yes, I'd forgotten people do this, lol again I only play TB really, and they're usually "serious" groups. I agree on this point, purposefully allowing a specific player to ALWAYS win regardless of how many times they may be KOd is crappy. Me when this did happen I just dropped out, b/c I took it as a hint that I wasn't welcome in their lobby. -Maybe- *wishful thinking* there will be a lobby system in place with headings like "wanna taunt party, join this room" I dunno. That would make so much more sense, and totally erase half of the issues I see inherent in trying to police a "for Fun" mode.

I imagine the room breaking when someone drops is something they'll fix, and I think Sakurai was implying that D/Cers will get grouped together and he acknowledged that it wasn't a perfect system because it's impossible to weed out intentional D/Cs. Let's just hope the 3DS version is somewhat lenient to D/Cs...
Well if they DO fix the roombreak issue then I see no reason to even ban ppl for disconnecting, unless it somehow breaks the game in another way we yet don't know about.

MK8's randoms doesn't allow for real communication, I doubt SSB will either. With that, I don't see why people would want to stick together on randoms. Don't want to lose? Then leave.
People stick together on randoms for many reasons. I've logged over 30,000 hours of game time in with anyone mode. In that time I've pretty much witnessed it all. Friendships get made, I know it's crazy sounding, but that's what anonymity allows for... strange bedfellows as they say. I have often lamented at the fact that you cannot request FCs in w/a mode (hopefully that will be a new feature addition, but prolly wishful thinking again). This said I do agree that if you're in a room w/other player(s) that are so much better than you that you can't even learn anything, yeah drop out. Log back in and hopefully get a room with some lesser skilled players so you can least have a chance to think. At high levels of play (which despite the rumors, there are tons in w/a mode) there's definitely a steep learning curve once you get past basics, and it's this sort of curve that Sakurai seems to be trying to flatten with the new match-making algorithms. We'll see how it goes.

On another note, I have no clue how Miiverse works (I don't own a WiiU yet) if that's even what it's called, so I suppose I can't say much about it, but I imagine that Miiverse does allow for true p2p communication if either by a chat service then by skype-type things or headphones, I dunno, but if that's the case then it should not be a far cry to incorporate those mechanics into Smash. If those things don't exist then I have to wonder why Nintendo is even bothering trying to keep up in the console wars, I mean sony and microsoft have had live chat in-game for centuries by comparison.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
People stick together on randoms for many reasons. I've logged over 30,000 hours of game time in with anyone mode. In that time I've pretty much witnessed it all. Friendships get made, I know it's crazy sounding, but that's what anonymity allows for... strange bedfellows as they say. I have often lamented at the fact that you cannot request FCs in w/a mode (hopefully that will be a new feature addition, but prolly wishful thinking again). This said I do agree that if you're in a room w/other player(s) that are so much better than you that you can't even learn anything, yeah drop out. Log back in and hopefully get a room with some lesser skilled players so you can least have a chance to think. At high levels of play (which despite the rumors, there are tons in w/a mode) there's definitely a steep learning curve once you get past basics, and it's this sort of curve that Sakurai seems to be trying to flatten with the new match-making algorithms. We'll see how it goes.

On another note, I have no clue how Miiverse works (I don't own a WiiU yet) if that's even what it's called, so I suppose I can't say much about it, but I imagine that Miiverse does allow for true p2p communication if either by a chat service then by skype-type things or headphones, I dunno, but if that's the case then it should not be a far cry to incorporate those mechanics into Smash. If those things don't exist then I have to wonder why Nintendo is even bothering trying to keep up in the console wars, I mean sony and microsoft have had live chat in-game for centuries by comparison.
Well, there's a "Players Recently Played With" button on the Wii U's friend list, and you can send requests from there. Just hope Nintendo doesn't make it incompatible with SSB or MK.
And Miiverse let's you communicate with friends via private messages on the Wii U, or with posts and comments in the actual communities on both systems, and there's a separate video chat app. They can't be used at the same time as a game though. MK8 let's us voice chat in friend lobbies, so I imagine we'll get that too.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
ah ha! I get it now. I never reply to ppl that way cause it makes it so difficult to reply back (I had to cut and paste every response of his into a separate tab instead of just parsing one quote with quote tags. But it's coo.

@ LancerStaff LancerStaff

OK, so...

Maybe. I don't necessarily mind if a player goes AFC for a match or two, especially if they're good or better than me, cause then I consider it a fortune to have even run into them.

Technically, yes, but from a consumer standpoint, I would feel misled if I bought the game with a specific understanding of the online rule, only to find out that it's completely different. That's like saying it's okay to sell someone a car knowing it doesn't have a gas tank, but not telling them that. Nintendo is "big" company too, so they want to remain positive in the eyes of their consumers. PR and all that. I can be very loud if I'm unhappy, especially using the interwebs ><

Yeah, see now me, I don't necessarily think that Taunt parties are all that bad - in moderation -. But it's true that I basically never go into regular BB anymore, and only TB, because TB seems to rarely if ever have taunt parties. If they do, it's usually because all 4 of us have really enjoyed brawling each other for an hour or two, and decide to just F around for a few rounds before signing off. Maybe we'll go to BoE and all pick Jiggs to see if we can get the giant jiggs glitch to work, whatever it is.

That said, singling out Taunt party goers and calling what they're doing "Wrong" or whatever, is perfectly legit -in for Glory- in for fun though, again this assumes some overarching definition of what "fun" means. It's not as if Sakurai says in the manual "in order to have fun in For Fun mode, you must never spam the taunt button, avoid battling..." fun = don't do taunt parties essentially. I mean if it was so un-fun then people wouldn't do it to begin with, right, so obviously it IS fun, it's just not fun for many of the posters here at SWF because most of the posters at SWF are "serious" players (lest I remind everyone that many posters also think anyone that enjoys w/a mode is a scrub by default), but they can suck it ^^;

Ah yes, I'd forgotten people do this, lol again I only play TB really, and they're usually "serious" groups. I agree on this point, purposefully allowing a specific player to ALWAYS win regardless of how many times they may be KOd is crappy. Me when this did happen I just dropped out, b/c I took it as a hint that I wasn't welcome in their lobby. -Maybe- *wishful thinking* there will be a lobby system in place with headings like "wanna taunt party, join this room" I dunno. That would make so much more sense, and totally erase half of the issues I see inherent in trying to police a "for Fun" mode.

Well if they DO fix the roombreak issue then I see no reason to even ban ppl for disconnecting, unless it somehow breaks the game in another way we yet don't know about.

Just saying "For Fun" can also be played seriously and competitively.

Top Bottom