• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Crowd Thread!

Mestro

Smash Journeyman
Do you think the crowd should be in again? My answer is Yes, it's funny to be fighting and then listening to the crowd saying your character's name... What do you think?

Ensee

Smash Ace
I didn't really understand what you were saying about the characters, but I know the crowd will forever remain a part of the smash games. Which means yes, the crowd will return.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Yes, of course they should return... I love hearing them shouting out for Captain Falcon in Japanese... Also, they do cause a bit of distraction towards one or so players...

Devastlian

Smash Lord
I just the English crowd isn't degraded zombies again...
It'd be cool if they could get as...inspirational as the crowd in the intro to Jumpin' Jack Flash in EBA...

Falco_Phoenix

Smash Cadet
The crowd definitely needs to sound more enthusiastic. Ganon's legion of zombies sounds appropriate yet... ********.

shadowmm151

Smash Apprentice
i think the crowd should cheer and clap and make ahs and ohs more often. less zombified would also be nice. saying more than just a characters name would be cool too. like if a hammer dropped on the field they could start cheering "get the hammer...get the hammer." I think booing for like disarming a motion sensor mine or something like that would be cool too.
the thing that would be really awesome is if the crowd was kinda like in paper mario:tyd and they could give you items or throw cans at you (or you opponent if they're cheering you).
On second thought that last part would probably make for a cool level design where the level was like a stage.

but yeah the crowd is a necessary part of smash

Mestro

Smash Journeyman
i think the crowd should cheer and clap and make ahs and ohs more often. less zombified would also be nice. saying more than just a characters name would be cool too. like if a hammer dropped on the field they could start cheering "get the hammer...get the hammer." I think booing for like disarming a motion sensor mine or something like that would be cool too.
the thing that would be really awesome is if the crowd was kinda like in paper mario:tyd and they could give you items or throw cans at you (or you opponent if they're cheering you).
On second thought that last part would probably make for a cool level design where the level was like a stage.

but yeah the crowd is a necessary part of smash
Totally agree with you, especially the part of, "get the hammer" and "throw cans". When a sensor bomb is near you the should say "Be careful" or "Look behind you" and stuff like that

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Yes, the crowd should come back.

No, the crowd should not shout advice or encouragement. It'd be too distracting, not to mention wierd. If you go to a game in real life, and the crowd starts chanting in unison, you'll most likely hear something like "Yankees! Yankees!". If 50,000 people just started screaming "throw the ball to second he's trying to steal!" in perfect harmony, that's when I'd be getting the hell out of there.

You know what they should do with the crowd? Let you see them. Like, if you grab an item or do a really huge combo or cause tons of damage at once, the crowd will stand up and cheer. You'd see sillouhettes of people waving their arms and jumping around, and it could work like a sort of hazard, blocking out the lowest part of the stage for a short time.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca

No, the crowd should not shout advice or encouragement. It'd be too distracting, not to mention wierd. If you go to a game in real life, and the crowd starts chanting in unison, you'll most likely hear something like "Yankees! Yankees!". If 50,000 people just started screaming "throw the ball to second he's trying to steal!" in perfect harmony, that's when I'd be getting the hell out of there.

You know what they should do with the crowd? Let you see them. Like, if you grab an item or do a really huge combo or cause tons of damage at once, the crowd will stand up and cheer. You'd see sillouhettes of people waving their arms and jumping around, and it could work like a sort of hazard, blocking out the lowest part of the stage for a short time.
well when they say stuff like encouragement or stuff, it shouldnt be the whole crowd in unison, youd just hear a single person screaming obnoxiously 'GET THE HAMMER!', and stuff like that. for the big combos and stuff, and the chanting character names, then the whole crowd would be going...otherwise it should just be single people.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255

LOL! That's an interesting Idea! The crowd have to be more participative in the game than before.

And one thing is missing, The crowd should be like "divided" for each character, like a soccer game, you have two sides Screaming, shouting, cheering in order to support his team (rarely I see that the hole stadium shouts the same :chuckle: )

In that way, each character should have his own public and the better the player, the louder will be his "fan's" cheering in comparison to the others (!!!)

FireBomb

Smash Lord
OH! I remember such an interactive audience in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. When you perfrom well, your crowd gets bigger, and they can possibly throw a helpful item to aid you. If you perform badly, the crowd leaves, or they end up throwing useless junk at you, hurting Mario. It kinda sounds like that scenerio where "the rich get richer, the poor get poorer", but maybe they can implement that sytle into Brawl somehow...

I see what 8 Sage means... like say there's 120 people in the crowd watching a Brawl with Mario, Link, Kirby, and Pikachu, with 30 on each persons side to begin with. Mario KO's Link, so now he has 40, Link has 20. But Pikachu comes for a Smash attack and sends Mario across the stage. He doesn't die, but he lost 5 people to Pikachu. So now all the people are favoring others, as they like whoever seems to be the stongest. If you SD yourself, you lose 10 people who are now neutral. The next person to perform well earns those people, as so on. At the end of a Brawl, you can see how many people you have on your side, just for fun. This could make for interesting Special Melees (or Special Brawls, I suppose) where the person with the most people on their side at the end of a match wins.

And yes please make the audience get more into it. In both US and Japanese crowds, the chant for some characters are exactly the same, and feel like they're forced and bored. There's no Mario chant in Japanese, which angered me. On the other hand, a lot of Japanese chants sound like they're really into it. Americans need to live a little.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
OH! I remember such an interactive audience in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. When you perfrom well, your crowd gets bigger, and they can possibly throw a helpful item to aid you. If you perform badly, the crowd leaves, or they end up throwing useless junk at you, hurting Mario. It kinda sounds like that scenerio where "the rich get richer, the poor get poorer", but maybe they can implement that sytle into Brawl somehow...

I see what 8 Sage means... like say there's 120 people in the crowd watching a Brawl with Mario, Link, Kirby, and Pikachu, with 30 on each persons side to begin with. Mario KO's Link, so now he has 40, Link has 20. But Pikachu comes for a Smash attack and sends Mario across the stage. He doesn't die, but he lost 5 people to Pikachu. So now all the people are favoring others, as they like whoever seems to be the stongest. If you SD yourself, you lose 10 people who are now neutral. The next person to perform well earns those people, as so on. At the end of a Brawl, you can see how many people you have on your side, just for fun. This could make for interesting Special Melees (or Special Brawls, I suppose) where the person with the most people on their side at the end of a match wins.
Speechless...

Hopes nintendo hears you!!! (The Item Idea is Awesome too)

pdk

Smash Lord
make them throw empty beer cans and popcorn bags then get into drunken fistfights with their silhouettes blocking your view of the game, it'll be just like in the theater!

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Lone guys shouting encouragement would be totally awesome.
:(
Speechless...

Hopes nintendo hears you!!! (The Item Idea is Awesome too)
:)
make them throw empty beer cans and popcorn bags then get into drunken fistfights with their silhouettes blocking your view of the game, it'll be just like in the theater!
:laugh:
I always thought the crowd could be something more to the players ever since those 64 days. Viva la Raza!

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Yeah, they should bring the crowd back. It would be interesting to hear them Booo or shout negatively towards players as well as cheer. Like if you kill yourself, your shield breaks, or you use very cheap tactics ect. You could have the crowd taunt players with negative name shouts.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Like...

Link stinks

Pit is Sh*t

Snake is fake, etc.
Well, not that harsh but something maybe with abit of humor or just booing name shouts in general. If you taunted while the crowd is booing you, you could make them boo louder. I can't think of any funny ones that would be for all ages but here are some general examples:"Booooo! *insert character's name* Boooo!" or "Hahaha"

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Interesting topic. My main strife is this: They don't cheer for computer players. What's up with that? It ruins the fun of watching the game itself when you're bored.

Or, in some cases, say you get your butt kicked or just lose your last stock. I like to enjoy the rest of the match. This way, people will be less sore losers and have more fun.

Anyway, I like the idea of more individual cheering. As for silhoette (spelling?)fighting, maybe, but keep it small and rare.

Yota

Smash Apprentice
Hah. I love the idea! I think the crowd should have a meter similar to that one in the football games. The more heated the battle is, the louder they get. Once they get loud enough rattle the screen a little, stand, cheer, and throw sombreros and/or roses into the air!

Perhapse in single-player modes, they could always cheer the player and throw some generous chunks of hate the computer.

The crowd reactions could be triggered by things that triggered "bonuses" in SSBM. In a case where a player would normally get the "Coward" bonus, start shouting "Get back in the game and DO SOMETHING you lame piece of crap!" Or in the case of "Quitter"... "Hahahah! The widdle emo gonna cry! *group laughter*"

Bones0

Smash Legend

And yes please make the audience get more into it. In both US and Japanese crowds, the chant for some characters are exactly the same, and feel like they're forced and bored. There's no Mario chant in Japanese, which angered me. On the other hand, a lot of Japanese chants sound like they're really into it. Americans need to live a little.
I like these ideas but in case they interfere with competitiveness I think there should be an option. Better yet, a game type. Crowd Mode FTW!

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
I like these ideas but in case they interfere with competitiveness I think there should be an option. Better yet, a game type. Crowd Mode FTW!
WOW Imagine choosing the type of crowd you want in the fight!

Noisy (they don't shut up in all the match)
Friendly (support bad players too)
Helper (Throws Items to you)
Aggressive (Let down anyone with no chances to win)
Sarcastic (support no-way-to-win characters)

:chuckle:

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Yeah...I was recently thinking that maybe it would best be left as an option. If it interferes with the competativeness of a match, they could at least make it a Special Brawl. It would get annoying to the people who don't like enjoying all the functions of a game (item haters...) like those tourney players. But it's not like they're going to cater to the small percentage of those people's needs. WE WANT SUPERCROWDS!

Lightshade

Smash Ace
WOW Imagine choosing the type of crowd you want in the fight!

Noisy (they don't shut up in all the match)
Friendly (support bad players too)
Helper (Throws Items to you)
Aggressive (Let down anyone with no chances to win)
Sarcastic (support no-way-to-win characters)

:chuckle:
That is a good idea they should think about putting into the game. I like that option.

Top Bottom