• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Critique Topic

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
It could just be me but her legs look reeeeeaaaaally long, especially compared to the length/width of her arms. Proportions can be a pain in the neck, but it might be good to try to practice from some figure models or something.

The hair is pretty clean and overall the coloring is good. I would recommend now trying to get some more intense shading down. I can see some in the dress, but try to get some highlights and deep shadows on her skin and clothes. Great linework.

Akako

Smash Rookie
Thank you very much for the critique!

I use to try and go for a longer artstyle(in the same form of CLAMP for example, if you know them). But now that I'm trying to go for more realistic proportions that has come to bite me in the rear. lol I can't UNTEACH myself that.
I'm going to keep trying though!

Yeah, I will try doing more highlights, and work on my shading a bit more.
Overall I will try and use your critiques to better my next piece.
Thank you very much!

Akako

Smash Rookie
lol I'm sure her belly would protrude a lot more if she were pregnant. xD COuld just make her look a bit chubby, but certainly not pregnant.

Thanks though! I 'll watch some of the wrinkle placement in the future lol.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion

My first time using GIMP for a serious project. It took me a while of messing with the controls to figure out how to use it, but I ended up with something I'm fairly pleased with. This is going to be my new avatar.

I had some issues cutting out the symbol from it's original picture, so there are probably some pixel-wide mistakes. Maybe there's a method I don't know about or something. Critiques would be most welcome.

Neon Ness

The cutting looks decent, but the image is quality is sorta ehh. Don't think it matters though, since at avatar size you can't really tell.

It's good. I don't think it really needs the square background.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
The cutting looks decent, but the image is quality is sorta ehh. Don't think it matters though, since at avatar size you can't really tell.

It's good. I don't think it really needs the square background.
Ahaha, good point. It might look better with a transparent background. Thanks for the input.

Chaco

Never Logs In
All three are awesome, but the second seemed the most generic to me. It didn't catch my attention, but the first and third did well.

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
yink-your pic is amazing! i especially like the bubbles contrasting the space background. it took me a second look to realize the planet in the bubbles-GJ.

LeviNifty

Smash Ace

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
LeviNifty--i think your second Vulpix is really good. i like the 'blotchy' red tone a lot and then how it stands out from the dark background that has those little splashes of color. your drawing is good but i like the latter of the two bc the colors pop out at you. i look at pics like these and im like 'howd they do that?!?'

LeviNifty

Smash Ace
thanks for the comments :), I agree with the 2nd picture, its amazing how far you can go with photoshop :laugh:

Neon Ness

Seems like we're getting a lot of outside activity in the AE lately.

It's definitely not bad. I like your stylization of the face. I also think the drawing looks really good considering the character's in such a difficult pose to draw.

Human anatomy is one of the hardest things to get right, it takes some serious practice. Her legs are looooong (although that could just be part of the style). I can't tell exactly because they're bent but her arms look a little bit too short compared to the length of her legs. Also her right knee is facing forward but her right foot's facing to the side, so it looks like her leg's broken or something. Other than that the linework's sound. I really like it overall.

Oh yeah. The furniture/suitcase or whatever that is behind her looks like it's floating in space, adding a shadow underneath should fix that. Drawing humans from a source of some kind sometimes helps in getting correct anatomy.

Now, let's see some color...

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
This was my entry in the art contest #4
cant stand the wait for critiques...so, smash critique the crap out of it, if you will.

Title- Wal-Mart Kills
Description- Wal-Mart sign(in real life is blue-there's my blue) is killing America's small business industry(anger). Hence the smaller companies in line to carry out their deaths-Target, Bi-Lo, & Winn-Dixie. Publix is in the middle of it's jump; Circuit City and Montgomery Ward has already met their fate--dead, bleeding on the ground. The American flag signifies the govts role in the destruction of the economy by letting this haauuge monopoly continue to treat their employees like working dogs and push the economy into the worst recession we've seen since Ford's administration(most anger). The grass is dead so to further push the concept of the weakening American economy. No blame is placed on Wal-Mart customers--tight budget+low prices=Wal-Mart. However, there are ways to keep prices low and competition high, something the govt apparently knows nothing of.
Media: acrylic paint
Find it at:
http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/ac129/MLEsis/
also contains proofs.
Please critique- good, bad, or indifferent!

i think the idea was gud, but the execution was mediocre at best. pract makes perfect?!

Purple

Hi guys!
I greatly like the originality and use of color however i have a few comments / critiques

-i feel outlining the outlines of the signs with thick black makes it look a bit rough.

-You should use two point perspective to make these signs accurately three dimensional.

However once again, i like the creativitely and very nice choice of colors :). But if this was supposed to be a horrid picture full of anguish, the sky should be darker

-

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My instructor always said if you can see the white of the canvas, you didn't do enough.

I stand by that. I can see the white of the canvas leaking out from behind.

Also, the big WALMART sign not only draws your eyes there first, but it sort of keeps your eyes there. As if the whole composition isn't worth looking at, and I was also told you want to have your audience viewing your whole piece, not some of it.

And, personally, I think you should have gone a little deeper into the color closet.

I hate to say good job when I feel there is work that needs to be done. I don't want to come off as a jerk, though, and through text without emoticons, it's kind of hard NOT to come off that way. Just try to think of me as a friend of yours giving a personal opinion. You can use it or lose it. :laugh:

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Is Roxy being sarcastic?

I really wasn't trying to be an arse. :(

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
finally! yeah for real critique!! i actually did this with a very short deadline, so when i was 'done' i posted it.
Zio-->you jerk!! JKJK, no, i appreciatte the real critique! you weren't harsh at all...i dont want you to lie about it! i totally agree with most of your comments, what white though?

edit:
maybe ur talking about the sky? that was SUPPOSED to be like clouds faded into the sky. i covered the whole background. plus, thats not white and blue sky, it's actually grey and blue.

rio-->yeah, i agree about the perspective, the smaller signs didnt sit rt with me either.

LeviNifty

Smash Ace
Moved on to final fantasy for the time being so here are my lastest drawings.

Sorry the squall drawing is hard to see, so I had to make it bigger, my scanner isnt that best :laugh:

critique away =p

Geist

Smash Master
There's definetly some things you're doing right, such as the layering of clothes, hair, etc. The body ratios aren't bad either, for the style that you're going for.
Focus more on the anatomy of the figures beneath though - for example, the right leg of squal looks like it has about 3 joints, and the first figure's neck should be longer.

Try using more dynamic poses and challenge yourself to use more complex PoVs, and use guidelines to get stances that feel more natural.

LeviNifty

Smash Ace
Thanks for the good advice dood :), I agree and I will try start using more dynamic poses on different chars

A_man13

Smash Master
Most of these need work. All of them seem very unpolished and going back to work on them would be in your best interest. The renders seem like they are coated with a whole lot of junk and, per art rule #1359c, you want to make sure you have a clear focal. You got some interesting effects, but make sure you have the basics down before going crazy with effects. You might want to start with signatures first since a smaller canvas is 100x easier to work with than a large image. That way, you can learn the effects and then carry them onto a larger canvas when need be. Also, you might want to start posting these in the signature critique topic as this has much more in common with signatures than drawing/painting.

Neon Ness

They've got good colors. :) Especially Yoshi.

But other than that it just looks like filters. Which are a'ight I guess, but you should definitely try out the other tools in Photoshop/GIMP/whatever use. It has much more to offer, so it could be cool to experiment some more with different things besides filters.

The ZSS looks the best, like it was made with more care.

Edit @ A_Man: But... they're not signatures, so they actually probably should be here...

And I think it's OK to start with a large canvas. It's mainly about having an idea/goal to work towards after learning the basics.

Or... something.

Daft_Punk

Smash Rookie
Most of these need work. All of them seem very unpolished and going back to work on them would be in your best interest. The renders seem like they are coated with a whole lot of junk and, per art rule #1359c, you want to make sure you have a clear focal. You got some interesting effects, but make sure you have the basics down before going crazy with effects. You might want to start with signatures first since a smaller canvas is 100x easier to work with than a large image. That way, you can learn the effects and then carry them onto a larger canvas when need be. Also, you might want to start posting these in the signature critique topic as this has much more in common with signatures than drawing/painting.
ok, can i have the link to the sig critique?
and... I know i use the filters/renders too much, it bothers me to make them, but look:

I had merged all layers, before noticing the flaws i did, and had already saved it, so it was pretty frustrating, so, i went for a quick fix render.
My yoshi was OK without filterin, but it was too 'perfect?' looking, and begged for a lil imperfection.
ZSS is the oonly one untouched by filters.
And I originally wanted to (and still do) put peoples names on them if they wanted it, but people just threw pics at me and started requesting things.
I like it, it gives me practice. Too bad i have no access to photoshop till weds.
But i only finished two so far.
Photoshop is way awesome, got it like a week ago.
whats rule #1359c btw?

Daft_Punk

Smash Rookie
They've got good colors. :) Especially Yoshi.

But other than that it just looks like filters. Which are a'ight I guess, but you should definitely try out the other tools in Photoshop/GIMP/whatever use. It has much more to offer, so it could be cool to experiment some more with different things besides filters.

The ZSS looks the best, like it was made with more care.

Edit @ A_Man: But... they're not signatures, so they actually probably should be here...

And I think it's OK to start with a large canvas. It's mainly about having an idea/goal to work towards after learning the basics.

Or... something.
Zelda and ZSS have the least filter abuse. in fact ZSS has none, and zelda has a bubble wrap around her. but i messed up (you can tell if you look closely)
-Zelda was the longest out of all of them. Motion blur kinda messed up on the rainbow gradient, but i like it.

Neon Ness

ok, ZSS is the oonly one untouched by filters.
Hence why it looks the best. :laugh: Filters can't really look better than something made by a human because they're based on like algorithms/approximative formulas, so there are always those jagged imperfections. Plus I always find it more fun to do the work myself in Photoshop.

whats rule #1359c btw?
I think that was a joke.

Yeah, that's too bad about the merged layers. :/ Live and learn I guess. It's happened to me before.

A_man13

Smash Master
True, but I always think that most GFX stuff tends to fall under a signature reign.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/A_man13_comcast/Sig work/Lightsabasolo.png

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/A_man13_comcast/Sig work/BlackHoleSun.png

No these are not for critique. In my opinion both of these fall under GFX simply because, even though they might be bigger, I use the same effects and techniques as I would as making a signature. Usually when I think art, I think drawing, painting, and sculpting. Certainly there is technology that allows you to do all of this on the computer, but only once you really start manipulating photos then I'd say it becomes GFX and falls under that reign of signature. But, then again, you are the art student and, therefore, you have a much more justified opinion than I could ever hope to have. In other words, you are right but I feel LPs are boarderline.

That is true about the goal. I still say a smaller canvas is easier to learn the ropes, but the same rules apply so why not learn on a larger scale?

EDIT: Yes, that rule was a joke. It could have been rule 1 for all I care, but I felt like pulling some number from my butt. :D

A_man13

Smash Master
Without the filters you seem to be doing a lot better. My advice is to just keep working; these new works have a lot more to them than just filters and, as a result, I feel they are a lot better. Just keep learning effects and continuing in the progression I seem to be seeing and you'll be knocking these out of the park in no time. Also, sorry for being a bit harsh earlier. You got a lot down, but a lot of first stuff I see tends to show a much more surface level knowledge of your program. You started from a higher place than I did for sure...

Daft_Punk

Smash Rookie
Without the filters you seem to be doing a lot better. My advice is to just keep working; these new works have a lot more to them than just filters and, as a result, I feel they are a lot better. Just keep learning effects and continuing in the progression I seem to be seeing and you'll be knocking these out of the park in no time.
nothing like inspiration before din-din
thnx for the help :D

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I got this thing about using official artwork . . . I rather draw it myself.

;)

Neon Ness

But, then again, you are the art student and, therefore, you have a much more justified opinion than I could ever hope to have. In other words, you are right but LPs are boarderline.
Lol I didn't mean to sound condescending about it. :(

I guess when someone says signature I automatically think small, rectangular format...

Usually when I think art, I think drawing, painting, and sculpting.
Perfectly understandable and a lot of people would agree with you. I just consider all of that plus signatures/GFX/digital work art as well, because there's still that element of creation.

Then again that's an entirely different discussion in itself, I guess.

Top Bottom