• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the tournament results are lying?
Sonic's placed very high in tournaments and low in tournaments.
He has made 1st in at least three of them and done in the middle to the bottom int he others.

He is middle tier fo sho.

No, we know that some characters are good, but are simply underperforming and Vice versa with Ike. Later on with more data, they will climb. I know Zelda and Falco have already begun to and Ike is starting to drop.

Also, Marth has only won two, but he is still outperforming Sonic by a large margin. What does that tell you?

Adapt

Smash Lord
True, but there are some characters like Falco, Zelda, Diddy, ICs, Toon Link, ZSS, Bowser, and Olimar who are really better than that, and some characters like Ike, Sonic, and CF (lulz) who aren't as good as Tourney outings say.

hence me saying there are some characters that seem kinda low.... lol

although i didn't mention the ones that were too high

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
No. For the billionth time, IKE IS LOW TIER. No way in hell Old Manondorf is better than Zamus. And Ness is more mid tier than low tier. And I disagree with DDD as third best in game. But that's arguable.
Ike isn't low tier. He has more priority than anyone in the game.
not to mention he can kill you at 50 percent.

he'd be god tier if his recovery wasn't ***

Ganon is the most underrated character in the game. i really don't understand why everyone thinks he's so terrible. he's a decent character with a lot of options. he's just laggy. laggy doesn't=low tier

Zamus, on the other hand has a tether recovery which as well all know are dumb and easily gimped, and no very useful kill moves. Her strongest moves are super situational and laggy. she's god of the big tit tier though fer sure

DK better than falco?
Absolutely. Have you played a good DK? He's hard to even hit and almost impossible to kill. he out ranges everyone in the game, and he builds damage quicker than everyone

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Absolutely. Have you played a good DK? He's hard to even hit and almost impossible to kill. he out ranges everyone in the game, and he builds damage quicker than everyone
Have you ever played a good Falco? Lazers and shine keep D.K away and because of his speed there's not much he can do about it.

Come on now. D.K's not better than Falco. End of discussion :laugh:

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Due to recent circumstances, I offer my suggestion of universal placement of Samus as the single worst character in the game.
Bad day? :laugh:

Samus isn't the worst character in the game. That's just blatantly obvious. I wouldn't even place her in bottom tier. Ganondorf, Falcon, Link are clearly worse characters. I would probably even place Sonic and Mario in that company.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace

Samus isn't the worst character in the game. That's just blatantly obvious. I wouldn't even place her in bottom tier. Ganondorf, Falcon, Link are clearly worse characters. I would probably even place Sonic and Mario in that company.
I had my kiester handed to me by a Wolf player who 'hadn't played Wolf in weeks.' I didn't even get him above 100% on the last stock. Final percentage when he killed me:
98% (him)
119% (me)
If I recall correctly.
It seemed as if nothing Samus did worked. The same goes when I fight Meta Knight, Pit, and Snake. I've beaten Snakes, and I've beaten Meta Knights and Pits too, but it seems like...like nothing I do works.
This same guy has Ganondorf as an alt. When he beat me, I was furious with myself.
If I lose to Ganondorf, does that make me worthless?

Browny

Smash Hater
The SBR seems to disagree, when you read what they posted about Falco (They acknowledge that his tourney standing wasn't that good in the first place, Zelda's doing even worse, doesn't mean she's bad) I don't see how they wouldn't place him at High/Top with all the praise he seemed to get fron them. And judging by Smashboards, you can tell Sonic is much more heavily played than Marth <_<
5 Marth (26 top8, 25 top4, 2 wins, 98 pts
19 Sonic (5 top8, 4 top4, 3 wins, 29.5 pts

53 placements compared to 12

as you say, clearly, Sonic is much mre heavily played... i was never talking about casual play. tourney results are all that matter

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

Samus isn't the worst character in the game. That's just blatantly obvious. I wouldn't even place her in bottom tier. Ganondorf, Falcon, Link are clearly worse characters. I would probably even place SONIC and Mario in that company.
WTF?!!?

I dont care who the hell they are playing against no bottom tier character is going to win 3 NATIONALLY RECOGNISED TOURNEYS. i will believe this argument when, ganon falcon, link, or mario wins 2 touneys, hell it could proly be one. the dorf, falcon and link will never win tourneys they are bottom tier, sonic has already won, he is not bottom tier

5 Marth (26 top8, 25 top4, 2 wins, 98 pts
19 Sonic (5 top8, 4 top4, 3 wins, 29.5 pts

53 placements compared to 12

as you say, clearly, Sonic is much mre heavily played... i was never talking about casual play. tourney results are all that matter

The OFFICIAL definition of Tiers:

Tiers: Tiers are a general breakdown of how each character stacks up in comparison to the other characters in the game. The tier list assumes a few things. First and most importantly is that it is based on the current metagame (which is based on the mind-games and technical skill of the top players). Current is the vital point here, it is not based on future potential, but on current potential. Second, the tier list assumes those playing are of near equal skill, and that they are both near the top of the technical (human) ability for their given character.

What exactly does all this mean? Essentially under most circumstances the higher tiered character will beat the lower tiered character. It is a simply a list of overall advantages, which characters have more advantages in more match ups than other characters. What it doesn't mean is that Sheik will always destroy Marth simply because she is located 2 spots above Marth on the tier list. The impact of the tier list at the top levels of play is minimal once you move into the High Tier and above. Instead, counter characters begin to play a larger role. This also brings up a large portion of the confusion regarding the tier list because a lower ranked character can be a counter to a character ranked much higher. The easiest example here is the Ice Climbers versus Sheik. While Sheik has more advantages in more match ups, the Ice Climbers are one of the few characters that can chain grab her, and as a result they are her only hard counter.

Yeah, that contradicts what you're saying. Tiers are based on matchups with Tourney results as backing, try again

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
So the tournament results are lying?
Sonic's placed very high in tournaments and low in tournaments.
He has made 1st in at least three of them and done in the middle to the bottom int he others.

He is middle tier fo sho.
Tourney results don't lie, tourney results are skewed very heavily on popular characters. Sonic is one of the most popular characters in Brawl. That means that he has a much larger following than less popular characters. That means since more people are going to play as Sonic, more people are probably going to play him well. The only reason Meta Knight makes top tier is because he is good. He has what I like to call "Sheik Syndrome." He's cool to some people, lame to even more, but his skills are top notch. Therefore he still has a large amount of people wanting to play as him because he is good. The same issue goes with Sheik. Because she can no longer chain throw and gimp people at 40%, she is automatically dismissed to low tier. Compound that on the fact that she is only a minor character in a game that's now a decade old and you have a character that very few people are going to play as. Sheik is not low tier. She is lower mid tier and the sad thing about it is that no Sheik mains are here to post vids or argue for her. Unpopular characters are destined to be ignored until someone shows you how good they are. I remember people posting on how bad GaW was initially and how he'd end up low tier again for sure. His few die hard fans brought him up from the bottom to **** near the top of the tier list. Same thing goes with the Ice Climbers, lame characters from a lame game from ages ago. It was actually said in that old character impression thread that they were viable for worst in the game, yes someone dared put IC in league with Brawl Falcon. The whole point here is that this first list is going to be heavily skewed by tournament results because the most popular characters tend to win tournaments due to the large amount of people that play as them. It will take a lot of time before a perfect tier list is made because Ike and Sonic still win tournaments and no one plays as Sheik. Eventually when everyone starts to become comfortable with themselves, the characters will show their true selves and eventually we'll have little to no argument about tiers.

/rant

Oh and DaK.I.D's sig = pure win

Amide

Smash Lord
My current opinion in terms of the the potential of the characters based on playing with every character and playing against every character since March.

Top Tier: Meta Knight, Snake
High Tier: King Dedede, Wario, ROB, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Pikachu
Middle High Tier: Olimar, Donkey Kong, Falco, Pit, Kirby, Toon Link, Ike, Wolf, Diddy Kong, Fox
Mid Tier: Ice Climbers, Lucas, Zelda, Bowser, Yoshi, Pokémon Trainer, Luigi, Peach, Ganondorf
Low Tier: Mario, Ness, Zero Suit Samus,
Bottom Tier: Sonic, Jigglypuff, Link, Sheik, Samus, Captain Falcon,
Mostly good except:

Snake>MK
Wolf, MUCH higher
TL below Kirby and next to Ike? I'm not a TL fan boy, but he is usually higher.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
People do in fact play as Sheik.... her placement on the upper end of D Rank says that there are some people out there playing Sheik and placing decently with her.

For all this talk about Sonic's popularity, he's got significantly fewer placings than, say, Marth, or even Wario. He's only kind of popular. People like him, but I'm sure even fanboys have some semblance of common sense when considering bringing a non-high tier character into a tournament setting.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
People do in fact play as Sheik.... her placement on the upper end of D Rank says that there are some people out there playing Sheik and placing decently with her.

For all this talk about Sonic's popularity, he's got significantly fewer placings than, say, Marth, or even Wario. He's only kind of popular. People like him, but I'm sure even fanboys have some semblance of common sense when considering bringing a non-high tier character into a tournament setting.
Top of low tier does Sheik little justice as it pretty much says she has notable trouble dealing with everyone above her and a few characters below her can still put up a very good fight. And as far as Sonic being kind of popular, the Sonic boards have over 30,000 views while the Sheik boards have a little over 3,000. Not to mention many wanted Sheik to be cut from the Brawl roster for some reason and somehow imagined that she would be when Zamus footage was shown. Remember all of the "ZOMG, ZAMUS IS TEH NEW SHEIK!!!" topics? And Sonic was voted the most wanted character to be implemented into Brawl overall. Popularity at its worst.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Popularity does not suddenly make noobs make it into the top eight, which is the BARE MINIMUM to be counted on my rankings list. People wanted Sheik out because she was a minor character compared to Zelda yet saw far more play due to being a broken character in comparison to Zelda.

Have you ever taken a look at the popularity of Melee Sheik boards compared to Link?
8267 posts vs 23050. Look at how far this "popularity" takes Link, in tournament placings and tiers. Fact is, Sheik has never been a very actively discussed character because as far as technique goes, she's extremely straightforward, leaving most of her game to intelligent play and matchup knowledge. Since only regular tournament goes have actual matchup knowledge, there's little discussion.

See how this works?

Sonic may have over 30000 posts, but a total of 12 Sonic players have made it into the top eight in the past 60+ tournaments I have processed for data. Being overly popular on Smashboards will not suddenly make Sonic win tournaments. You still have to have a respectable amount of skill with him.

Same with Ike. He was popular among good players early on, but it's clearly shown on my list that he's quickly waning in popularity.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Can people give me one solid reason why luigi is disregarded alot, hes got a ridiculas amount of killing moves, almost limitless recovery, easiest sliding smashes to perform, good grab range, good comboing with his really floatly jumps.
Luigi for High tier

Also i think DDD is overrated other than the chaingrab wat advantages does he have, Power? pretty weak case IMO.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Popularity does not suddenly make noobs make it into the top eight, which is the BARE MINIMUM to be counted on my rankings list. People wanted Sheik out because she was a minor character compared to Zelda yet saw far more play due to being a broken character in comparison to Zelda.

Have you ever taken a look at the popularity of Melee Sheik boards compared to Link?
8267 posts vs 23050. Look at how far this "popularity" takes Link, in tournament placings and tiers. Fact is, Sheik has never been a very actively discussed character because as far as technique goes, she's extremely straightforward, leaving most of her game to intelligent play and matchup knowledge. Since only regular tournament goes have actual matchup knowledge, there's little discussion.

See how this works?

Sonic may have over 30000 posts, but a total of 12 Sonic players have made it into the top eight in the past 60+ tournaments I have processed for data. Being overly popular on Smashboards will not suddenly make Sonic win tournaments. You still have to have a respectable amount of skill with him.

Same with Ike. He was popular among good players early on, but it's clearly shown on my list that he's quickly waning in popularity.
True facts, but my point is that popularity highly increases the likelyhood of GOOD players actually playing a character. Falco for one has seen lackluster tournament standings that don't reflect his greatness as a fighter. Most people brushed him off as mid tier before his CG and dash-cancel were discovered. Now more people play as him and eventually his ranking will increase. The fact is, when more people play as a character, that character wins more. That's just simple probability. If there are 200 Sonic mains, 15 Kirby mains, clearly the Sonic mains are going to clean up at tournaments because there are more likely to be more good players in that pool of 200 than there are in that pool of 15. Tournament results skew the true sight of tiers.

@BestNessn00b
Luigi is ranked okay in most of the lists I've seen. Upper mid tier suits him fine. Don't forget that Falcon, Jiggs, and Spamus were all mid tier in Melee according to the last list and they all had their fair share of the victory wine. As far as Dedede goes, he's not overrated at all in most cases. He has ridiculous range in the form of a quick ftilt, a speedy upsmash that goes all the way around his body, a good camp game, one of the best edguarding games and wicked priority due to that hammer. He is a bit on the slow side sometimes, but you can't win em all unless your name is Snake.

Hoff

Smash Cadet
Can people give me one solid reason why luigi is disregarded alot
I've wondered that too. He has lagless aerials, tons of aerial priority, 3 very useful recovery options, and generally strong moves overall. The lagless aerials make him **** impossible to shield-grab. His range might be his biggest issue, but it's better than Wario's who's a fantastic character. His projectile is fairly useless though.

Also i think DDD is overrated other than the chaingrab wat advantages does he have, Power?
Not just power, TONS OF POWER!!!!!!! A pretty useful projectile with some chance of huge knockback gordos, good aerials and multi-jumps for edgeguard game. Good d-smash, up-tilt, f-tilt, and up+b recovery. Also takes a million years to kill. He is HEAVY!

I love DDD. Wario, MK and DDD are my three favourite playstyles in Brawl (pretty varied too, oddly enough). I was a tier-***** before I even knew it.

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
Can people give me one solid reason why luigi is disregarded alot, hes got a ridiculas amount of killing moves, almost limitless recovery, easiest sliding smashes to perform, good grab range, good comboing with his really floatly jumps.
Luigi for High tier

Also i think DDD is overrated other than the chaingrab wat advantages does he have, Power? pretty weak case IMO.
He's got:
-Power
-Weight
-Chaingrab
-Range
-Good projectiles
-Disjointed hitboxes
-B-air WoP

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
True facts, but my point is that popularity highly increases the likelyhood of GOOD players actually playing a character. Falco for one has seen lackluster tournament standings that don't reflect his greatness as a fighter. Most people brushed him off as mid tier before his CG and dash-cancel were discovered. Now more people play as him and eventually his ranking will increase. The fact is, when more people play as a character, that character wins more. That's just simple probability. If there are 200 Sonic mains, 15 Kirby mains, clearly the Sonic mains are going to clean up at tournaments because there are more likely to be more good players in that pool of 200 than there are in that pool of 15. Tournament results skew the true sight of tiers.
The thing is that there aren't 200 Sonic mains. There's a metric ****ton of Sonic players on the Sonic boards, yes, but how many of them go to tournaments? And out of those, how many of them place? I've seen a total four unique Sonic players placing. Weren't Toon Link and Diddy supposed to be really great and popular?

And on the flip side, what about ROB? How many people were talking about how awesome ROB was going to be before he ended up in high tier?

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
He's the heaviest character in the game and has one of the best recoveries in the game making him the hardest character to KO. On top of being really hard to KO he has a very easy time KO'ing others. Fsmash is the single most powerful non FS attack in the game, Dsmash, Usmash, and Utilt all KO around 100 for most characters. Jet hammer and Gordos can KO below 100 and he can easily gimp recoveries by doing repeated Bairs or Fair off the edge. Has one of the best ground games rivaling Snake's in terms of efficiency. Ftilt is disjointed and has long range but low knockback, Dtilt is an alternative to Ftilt that has less range and isn't disjointed but has more knockback. His jab has good range and is disjointed, plus you can use jab fakes to setup for grabs. Of course his grab game is really good because he has one of the largest grab ranges in the game, and can lead with a CG on most characters, and characters who can't be CG will have to deal with a tech chase. Waddle Dee toss is an above average projectile. Since Waddle Dee's stay out after being thrown they can absorb a lot of projectiles making up for DDD's large size, allowing him to resist camping setups that other big characters such as DK and Bowser can't get around. He has very good match-ups against what most people currently view as the top/high tier characters, and according to the "Character Ranking List" thread, DDD is currently the third best character in terms of tournament success. Seriously, what more do you want to be convinced that DDD is good?

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
The thing is that there aren't 200 Sonic mains. There's a metric ****ton of Sonic players on the Sonic boards, yes, but how many of them go to tournaments? And out of those, how many of them place? I've seen a total four unique Sonic players placing. Weren't Toon Link and Diddy supposed to be really great and popular?

And on the flip side, what about ROB? How many people were talking about how awesome ROB was going to be before he ended up in high tier?
Toon Link popular? That's news to me. Sure he's charming lil kid in my eyes, but I'm pretty sure that the general consensus was that he was a needless contribution as far as balancing the series representatives go. Also as far as Diddy goes, think back to the first melee tier list released. Mario and Zelda were considered in league with the likes of Marth, Fox, Falco, and Sheik. He was initially thought to be great, and now time has proven that he's not top tier material, but still formidable nonetheless. As far as popularity goes, I was completely unaware that he starred in a video game since Diddy Kong Racing until I looked on Wikipedia and I consider myself to be quite the connoisseur of video games.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Mario and Zelda were considered in league with the likes of Marth, Fox, Falco, and Sheik. He was initially thought to be great, and now time has proven that he's not top tier material, but still formidable nonetheless.
Yeah, the time of about two months XD. Zelda quickly dropped down to low and Mario to middle from October to December. Plus, it was widely discussion of character potential because there was a very noticeable lack of tournaments back in '02.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
I think Ankoku is talking about popularity among tournament players, not popularity in general or BS arguments about who deserved to be in Brawl and not.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Yeah, the time of about two months XD. Zelda quickly dropped down to low and Mario to middle from October to December. Plus, it was widely discussion of character potential because there was a very noticeable lack of tournaments back in '02.
And that's pretty much the time that we have here, ~2 months (for the US version anyway). Sonic's use will dwindle eventually, but as long as everyone is using him, he'll still have results. He does have his high points, not like I'm saying he should be at the bottom. It's just that him being almost at the top of the middle tier is downright laughable. According to the tournament standings, he is also better than the Ice Climbers which is also a very skewed result. Convince that he is better than the Ice Climbers and then I'll believe that tournament results aren't skewed by character popularity.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Popularity does influence tournament results to a degree, take the IC's for example. In Ankoku's "Character Ranking List" thread, there are several characters that are above them because of tournament placings even though the IC's are a much better character than them. The reason for this is because they are woefully unpopular, and no one really uses them in tournaments.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
No, we know that some characters are good, but are simply underperforming and Vice versa with Ike. Later on with more data, they will climb. I know Zelda and Falco have already begun to and Ike is starting to drop.

Also, Marth has only won two, but he is still outperforming Sonic by a large margin. What does that tell you?
Except that unlike Marth, Sonic has a high learning curve.
Not to mention he has sporadic placement in the tournaments.
Marth has been more uniform and we already know what he is capable of since he has had few changes to his gameplay.

For sonic he is underrated and the high learning curve means his metagame has not been defined clearly.
I bet that by later on Sonic will be placing middle in the tournaments as expected of mid tier.

And that's pretty much the time that we have here, ~2 months (for the US version anyway). Sonic's use will dwindle eventually, but as long as everyone is using him, he'll still have results. He does have his high points, not like I'm saying he should be at the bottom. It's just that him being almost at the top of the middle tier is downright laughable. According to the tournament standings, he is also better than the Ice Climbers which is also a very skewed result. Convince that he is better than the Ice Climbers and then I'll believe that tournament results aren't skewed by character popularity.
Except that disregards what Ankoku has said.
There are many sonic users in the sonic forums but only 4-5 have actually gone to tournaments and won as Sonic purely.
This number becomes even smaller when you look at who has been using Sonic and how often they participate.
To my knowledge Mr. 3000 has only won 1st place with Sonic once and has not used him again (though the topic is updated every now and then)

Not to mention Sonic's chasing and gimping game. His ability to space, his recovery ability.
Many physics exploits that let him move about in the air as fast as Wario.
etc etc.

The main reason he will be mid tier is because of lack of priority which hits him hard and really makes it difficult to continue using a strategy that is effective since your opponent will catch on and punish you hard.
He's FORCED to be unpredictable. Not the case with Snake and Marth and MK.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol @ arguing marths position on the rankings list as a result of matchups.

so i suppose sonic won more tourney than marth by only coming up against falcon and gdorf users? sonic users would ahve fought the exact same users, MK, snake, all that. just goes to show match ups are more than 'X does more damage, more range than Y, therefore 10x better'

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Considering Sonic's average placing, it's actually arguable that Sonic's 3 wins at tournaments could be considered a fluke, as on average he does not place that well. Marth on the other hand consistantly places in the top 8, as well as the top 4.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Have you ever played a good Falco? Lazers and shine keep D.K away and because of his speed there's not much he can do about it.

Come on now. D.K's not better than Falco. End of discussion :laugh:
The only way Falco can keep DK away is if the stage is huge. DK's f-tilts reaches nearly halfway across most tournament legal stages. (further than shine) and once Falco gets off the stage against DK he's dead. DK can juggle Falco , literally the only move Falco can do on DK is laser
and jumping around lasering isn't going to kil DK anyway.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Joke Post. Ike has jack priority. Also, Snake can kill you at 30%. What now?
Ike is obviously more powerful than Snake,, a full charged fsmash kills every character at like 40 percent (and it kills Jiggs at like 15%). but no one's arguing that he's better than Snake anyway. Snake is god tier.

Ike has a huge disjointed hitbox which = priority

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
WTF?!!?

I dont care who the hell they are playing against no bottom tier character is going to win 3 NATIONALLY RECOGNISED TOURNEYS. i will believe this argument when, ganon falcon, link, or mario wins 2 touneys, hell it could proly be one. the dorf, falcon and link will never win tourneys they are bottom tier, sonic has already won, he is not bottom tier
Sonic isn't going to win anymore tournaments now that people are learning how to play the characters that are actually good.

ShuffleTrain

Smash Journeyman
I saw Mookierah at Momokon! :)

Also, when will they release a "teaser" tier list?

If there is one out already...where?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ike is obviously more powerful than Snake,, a full charged fsmash kills every character at like 40 percent (and it kills Jiggs at like 15%). but no one's arguing that he's better than Snake anyway. Snake is god tier.

Ike has a huge disjointed hitbox which = priority
Ike is NOT more powerful than Snake. Snake's fsmash beats out Ike's fsmash. Get your facts straight. Snake has an INVISIBLE disjointed hitbox which = priority.

Also, Ike does not belong anywhere above mid tier, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom