• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Opinions should be backed up with more than "top player agrees with me so there"

which there is too much of in this thread imho no wonder i spam so much

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
Opinions should be backed up when discussing match ups. I've given reasons as to why snake beats d3(didn't even cover everything), but apparently d3 still wins it without being able to tell me how they win other than "we cg you".

kay
I'm not sure how you keep getting "we cg you" from ddd specifically chaingrabs snake to the edge with a number options to then put snake off the edge and low heavily limiting snakes recovery options which is especially deadly do to ddd being more than capable of gimping snake. Ddd even has the option of an aerial grab release that also cancels snakes aerial momentum if he attempts the c4 recovering allowing inhale to gimp the cypher and an attempt of c4ing yourself.

The really funny thing is your response seems to be snake can chain grab ddd therefore +1 snake. Completely ignoring that snake needs to challenge ddd's grab to get a grab. Not like ddd's grab is bigger or anything or has a more useful, easier, and consistent chain grab.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Opinions should be backed up when discussing match ups. I've given reasons as to why snake beats d3(didn't even cover everything), but apparently d3 still wins it without being able to tell me how they win other than "we cg you".

kay
:dedede: is much better at positioning :snake: into awkward and bad situations. From a cg, he can get off a free Dtilt and potential Bairs. The Bairs will not kill usually, but doing 70-80% from a grab is very rewarding. Sure, approaching :snake: is not always easy for :dedede:, but :dedede:'s ftilt will beat anything (Including nades) without yielding him any damage. Dthrow tech chase is viable against :dedede:, but I do not readily see :snake: lunging at :dedede: for a grab outside of catching his Up b, which would mean free damage regardless.

:snake: is also a grounded character. With :dedede: hopping high up in the air, :snake: does not have a multitude of options other then toss a nade up or side b loool. :dedede: however can choose to reverse swallow, regular swallow, land and grab, nothing, nair grounded, or bair. His options are all greatly rewarding since swallow beats shield and his aerials beat everything else unless PS'd of course.

:dedede: outprioritizes most of :snake:'s aerials grounded with Utilt and aerial with Bair.

This matchup is always flip floppy in my mind. I could see it as even, but from my own observations and using :dedede: myself as a counter to some :snake: players, I do not see this as anything other then :dedede:'s favor +1.

I always thought Atomsk was one of the best at this matchup. Coney may have played Takeover frequently, but I do not think he was the most adept in this matchup. Coney also highly underrates :dedede:. I have seen his under-ration of :dedede: when he has said :diddy: ***** :dedede:, when Zak is just not good vs that character. Hilariously, Coney was amazing vs :falco:, which I saw as a definitie worse matchup (-2).

:018:

Coney

Smash Master
:dedede: is much better at positioning :snake: into awkward and bad situations.
no
:dedede:'s ftilt will beat anything (Including nades) without yielding him any damage.
wrong, ftilt even at maximum range blows up nados and ddd takes damage
Dthrow tech chase is viable against :dedede:, but I do not readily see :snake: lunging at :dedede: for a grab outside of catching his Up b, which would mean free damage regardless.
wrong again, good snakes grab ddd a LOT, it's how you win the matchup. i don't think dthrow is as huge as some people say, but it puts ddd in a really ****ty position (ddd's get up attack hits in front of him first, meaning snake can prepare for this on reaction. only option he can't cover just by SHIELDING is froll, which can be punished with dacus)

:snake: is also a grounded character. With :dedede: hopping high up in the air, :snake: does not have a multitude of options other then toss a nade up or side b loool. :dedede: however can choose to reverse swallow, regular swallow, land and grab, nothing, nair grounded, or bair.
all options are slow and punishable on reaction. if you try to begin inhaling later, you can be punished in startup. ddd sucks at landing against snake just as bad as snake sucks at landing against ddd

:dedede: outprioritizes most of :snake:'s aerials grounded with Utilt and aerial with Bair.
true

i may not be great vs snake, but i understand how the matchup works. this isn't m2k crying about how squirtle or diddy are SO GAY OMG. arguably the 3 best ddd's in brawl's history are telling you the same thing, please listen

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
ddd beating snake is guided by the same bull**** antiquated notion it was since the start of the game

"um u can cg him!"

i'll admit i suck now and have sucked for a long time but 4 real, snakes found out how to beat ddd a long time ago
DDD wins from how bad he ****s up snake from edge guarding which yes relies on the cg but isnt the reason why. When d3 loses usually you can see that d3 got outplayed somehow.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Advantages of Snake :
-Son of Big Boss, the manliest man on earth
-Remembers the basics of CQC
-METAL GEAR?!?
-More explosives than all of Die Hard movies combined
-Samus wants that D
-Had a hard life, toughening him

Advantages of TripleD :
-(self-proclaimed) King of Dreamland, giving him ranks in badassery
-Wields the pimpest of pimp hammers pimps could dream of pimpin'
-KIRBY KIRBY KIRBY IS THE NAME YOU SHOULD KNOW, KIRBY KIRBY KIRBY HE'S THE STAR OF THE SHOW [...] HOW CAN I HELP YOU KING DEDEDE? I NEED A MONSTER THAT CAN CLOBBER THAT THERE KIRBY! THAT'S WHAT WE DO BEST HERE AT NME. YOU'D BETTER GET IT WITH A MONEY BACK GUARENTEE! [...]
-Telescopic arm that transcends reality and grabs you through your TV (if you use a 3D TV you die)
-Everybody want's DDD's D

Disadvantages of TripleD :
He's got a easy life being the pimp King of dat Dreamland pad, yo'.

+1 Snake

Coney

Smash Master
screwing with snake on the ledge is ddd's strongest point in the matchup but isn't consistent enough to warrant winning the matchup at all, esp when it relies off an initial circumstance (grab)

you can say ddd wins because he dominates the air, but i can just as easily say snake wins with zone control and his projectile game. he wins the neutral position and doesn't need a grab to do damage (but goddamn does it help)

trust me i'd back down if it were just me with this idea, since i've been wrong before, but it's not

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
At low level Snake beats D3 because massive damage output

At Mid level D3 beats Snake because lol CG and the D3 players actually know how to gimp and the Snake players aren't quite as adept at recovering

At High level the MU is even because all the above stuff balances out

At Top level it doesn't matter because Ally will just go MK

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
I am 90% certain that you can blow up a grenade with ftilt without getting damaged. That tidbit is dropped all over the ddd boards. I am fairly certain I have physically done it myself but I can't go test it right now as I am at work I will suggest that bubbaking go test it. Mostly because we could use some more bubbaking in this thread. :smash:

Dekillsage

Smash Lord
I'm not sure how you keep getting "we cg you" from ddd specifically chaingrabs snake to the edge with a number options to then put snake off the edge and low heavily limiting snakes recovery options which is especially deadly do to ddd being more than capable of gimping snake. Ddd even has the option of an aerial grab release that also cancels snakes aerial momentum if he attempts the c4 recovering allowing inhale to gimp the cypher and an attempt of c4ing yourself.

The really funny thing is your response seems to be snake can chain grab ddd therefore +1 snake. Completely ignoring that snake needs to challenge ddd's grab to get a grab. Not like ddd's grab is bigger or anything or has a more useful, easier, and consistent chain grab.
DDD can't gimp snake. He doesn't have a spike or a move like shuttle loop to kill snake early. He can potentially do a lot of damage but you have to understand the most damage he gets is if he counterhits my jump.(So just save your jump and take a bair or two)

Snake never has to challenge ddd's grab to get a grab. I have grenades and c4, I'll wait all day. DDD has to challenge ME just as much as I have to challenge him in order to land grabs. If ddd misses he gets dash attacked for free. DDD is also one of the easiest characters to frame trap for snake. Snake has the tools to limit ddd's approach, and can often make ddd block because he'll get hit otherwise.

I don't know what you mean by aerial grab release? You talking about inhale or grabbing me after I blow myself up with c4? You know that if he does inhale during the start of cypher he'll just kill himself with me, and if not I'll just c4 after he hits me out of cypher(if he can do that. It'd be the easiest thing to react too).

Also I never talked about how we can beat ddd at neutral, frame traps, edge guarding etc. I only mentioned dthrow because that tool alone is the same thing as ddd dthrowing snake to the ledge.

:dedede: is much better at positioning :snake: into awkward and bad situations. From a cg, he can get off a free Dtilt and potential Bairs. The Bairs will not kill usually, but doing 70-80% from a grab is very rewarding. Sure, approaching :snake: is not always easy for :dedede:, but :dedede:'s ftilt will beat anything (Including nades) without yielding him any damage. Dthrow tech chase is viable against :dedede:, but I do not readily see :snake: lunging at :dedede: for a grab outside of catching his Up b, which would mean free damage regardless.

:snake: is also a grounded character. With :dedede: hopping high up in the air, :snake: does not have a multitude of options other then toss a nade up or side b loool. :dedede: however can choose to reverse swallow, regular swallow, land and grab, nothing, nair grounded, or bair. His options are all greatly rewarding since swallow beats shield and his aerials beat everything else unless PS'd of course.

This matchup is always flip floppy in my mind. I could see it as even, but from my own observations and using :dedede: myself as a counter to some :snake: players, I do not see this as anything other then :dedede:'s favor +1.

I always thought Atomsk was one of the best at this matchup. Coney may have played Takeover frequently, but I do not think he was the most adept in this matchup. Coney also highly underrates :dedede:. I have seen his under-ration of :dedede: when he has said :diddy: ***** :dedede:, when Zak is just not good vs that character. Hilariously, Coney was amazing vs :falco:, which I saw as a definitie worse matchup (-2).

You know if I throw a nade up towards ddd he can't inhale right? Also that I don't have to challenge ddd and can punish his landing with my 5 frame friggin dash attack that covers half the damn screen. Land and grab isn't legit, him doing nothing doesn't get him anywhere, bair can be blocked or just avoided completely, You realize that dthrow-> dtilt not only doesn't kill at any reasonable % but lets snake recover high for free?

You realize whenever ddd lands on a platform he gets stuck with c4 also? Or when a grenade hits him he has to try and land while more grenades are being put into play to limit his movements? DDD can bair me while I'm in the air I'll trade with grenade, its not killing snake. Utilt can be avoided with proper c4 reversals, snake doesn't ever have to challenge it.

Ftilt for ddd is a good spacing tool but it doesn't do enough damage for me to care about getting hit by it, and even if he blows up a grenade and stays safe whats stopping me from moving away? DDD still hasn't gotten a grab on snake. Why should I care about that move counterhitting mashing?

I'm probably not explaining this the best, but snake wins this match up. He has more tools, and they get better depending on the stage.

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
No, we need more XxJiGgLyPuFf_DuDe_420xX in this thread
There is no limit to the amount of XxJiGgLyPuFf_DuDe_420xX we need. Also that name is a pain to type out on a smart phone with all the silly caps in it. I miss pidgezero...

-edit for dekillsage, when ddd inhales snake out of cypher they both break apart and it counts as a grab release. Preventing a second cypher. There are multiple ways of canceling out a c4 recovery also.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I was half right. When :snake: strips a nade, it goes quite low, which makes it easy to space an ftilt and not blow up. Ftilt still a good spacing tool.

Yes, hitting the nade blows it up.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Imagine this rap, with the below lyrics and that is the MU - http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32861

I'm DDD
And they all are capital
Cruise control is CAPS LOCK
It's not accidental

And don't even start Snakey
Your so arguments
I'll show you my force
With my hammer, it's centripetal

Throwin' WaddleDees
Until you meet your end
Cause all you got is nades
I have no need to defend

Yet you think you can throw me
And that it makes you win?
I'm on the top of my game
And your a has been

You think I'm just a Penguin
Yeah well I think that you're lame
You can't recover at all
And you can't win that way

You think you're tough
But that isn't enoigh
Cause, at the end of the day
You like my hammer rough

(CHORUS)
So listen Snake and get the **** out of town
You can't CG so get the **** out of town
My WaddleDees will make your head spin around
Cause Snake you suck, cause ***** I'M WEARIN' THE CROWN!
(CHORUS)

Do I really have to spell it out for you?
I guess so let me break it down for you

I won't take your ****
You trip up and that is it
My CG will hit it
So hard that you will never **** it
Cause I'm the original CG and still the best
So many dreams, to find and conquest
Cause you may and freedom and to me that's new
But Imperialism is gonna find you

Cause no where, is safe from me
My WaddleDees scattered across FD
And to so many enemies, I grab they get wrecked
***** I'm Cortez
And you da Aztecs!

(CHORUS)

Dekillsage

Smash Lord
Imagine this rap, with the below lyrics and that is the MU - http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32861

I'm DDD
And they all are capital
Cruise control is CAPS LOCK
It's not accidental

And don't even start Snakey
Your so arguments
I'll show you my force
With my hammer, it's centripetal

Throwin' WaddleDees
Until you meet your end
Cause all you got is nades
I have no need to defend

Yet you think you can throw me
And that it makes you win?
I'm on the top of my game
And your a has been

You think I'm just a Penguin
Yeah well I think that you're lame
You can't recover at all
And you can't win that way

You think you're tough
But that isn't enoigh
Cause, at the end of the day
You like my hammer rough

(CHORUS)
So listen Snake and get the **** out of town
You can't CG so get the **** out of town
My WaddleDees will make your head spin around
Cause Snake you suck, cause ***** I'M WEARIN' THE CROWN!
(CHORUS)

Do I really have to spell it out for you?
I guess so let me break it down for you

I won't take your ****
You trip up and that is it
My CG will hit it
So hard that you will never **** it
Cause I'm the original CG and still the best
So many dreams, to find and conquest
Cause you may and freedom and to me that's new
But Imperialism is gonna find you

Cause no where, is safe from me
My WaddleDees scattered across FD
And to so many enemies, I grab they get wrecked
***** I'm Cortez
And you da Aztecs!

(CHORUS)
Welp can't argue with this

Dekillsage

Smash Lord
I am 90% certain that you can blow up a grenade with ftilt without getting damaged. That tidbit is dropped all over the ddd boards. I am fairly certain I have physically done it myself but I can't go test it right now as I am at work I will suggest that bubbaking go test it. Mostly because we could use some more bubbaking in this thread. :smash:
pls no. He thinks get up->utilt is a really good option vs snakes dthrow and nairing usmash gets ddd to safety(lol snake can't uair/utilt the nair)

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
Just noticed but the only point of seagull's that coney didn't address was that coney under rates ddd. He kinda addressed it by saying that he isn't the only one who thinks this but it was a kinda half hearted retort.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
There is no limit to the amount of XxJiGgLyPuFf_DuDe_420xX we need. Also that name is a pain to type out on a smart phone with all the silly caps in it. I miss pidgezero...

-edit for dekillsage, when ddd inhales snake out of cypher they both break apart and it counts as a grab release. Preventing a second cypher. There are multiple ways of canceling out a c4 recovery also.
Worry not, pidgezero_one's name is watching over us from the big data warehouse in the sky...

B0NK

Smash Lord
Just noticed but the only point of seagull's that coney didn't address was that coney under rates ddd. He kinda addressed it by saying that he isn't the only one who thinks this but it was a kinda half hearted retort.
He's being humble. Not a bad trait lmao

Smashers mayne

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Meh, I still think the Snake-DDD MU is even, both characters have the tools to destroy each other, balancing them out in the end.
If any character has an advantage it's probably very small and the other character might be very able to work it out.

Coney

Smash Master
i thought i did, but maybe i didn't make it clear

i admit i underrate ddd and have been outright wrong in the past, but i'm not the only one saying snake beats ddd. the trifecta has been saying it for a very long time, even back when i was still very good/relevant

there are some matchups i think are better than people say (zero suit) and some that i think are worse (diddy)...and i understand this is because of my uncompromising, impatient balls-to-the-wall playstyle, so i tell people to take it with a grain of salt. but i'm not alone here...snake beating ddd isn't a crazy idea, or even a new one. it's just something people have resisted for a long time

| Big D |

Smash Master
quoted so you would see this post
In what areas do you feel Snake excels in to off put the large punishes Dedede gets on Snake when he gets grabbed without a nade? How often do you think when both players play optimally that those scenarios should happen. How well do you think Dedede approaches Snake? Do you feel having 4 jumps circumvents Snake's camp game? What kinds of scenarios can Snake force on where the risk/reward is in Snake's favour? What kinds of scenarios can Dedede force where the risk/reward is in Dedede's favour? How often do either of these situations happen ideally. Do you feel results support or negate the claim of Dedede/Snake being even or in Snake's favour? How should Snake approach this MU? How should Dedede approach this MU? How much of an effect do nades have?

We're actually discussing this right now for the MU Chart project, I wasn't kidding when I said I was taking notes. Any insight provided would be of great help.

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
I think Big D really captured what is being missed right now by the current discussions in this thread we get all the statements like snakes up smash is countered by ddd's nair or snake doesn't get gimped cause he has a option that counters every option ddd has to gimp. These statements miss the core way brawl functions because there is almost always a counter to any given option. It is more important what the risk reward ratio is in any given situation. For example snake can theoretically always recover after a chain grab so the grab shouldn't worry snake. The problem is the odds are heavily in ddd's favor. Far more options and much greater reward and very little risk. And the opposite applies to neutral where all snake really needs to fear is the grab. While snake has tons of zoning tools to keep ddd out with very little risk involved.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Wait... you think fatal is good at the ddd match up?
done with you

Edit: I'm not saying Fatal is bad. A ton of things I do I learned from watching Fatal. His style however isn't very good vs ddd.
So you're going to say that the only Snake player to convincingly beat Atomsk at the MU during the time period when he was practically gobbing them up is bad at the MU? The same guy who took him out when even Ally's Snake was losing repeatedly to him? Man, this is extreme nitpicking to selectively support your case if ever I saw it. IIRC, Fatal has one of the best track records against high/top DDDs (I'd have to check again to be certain). What the heck are you talking about? :facepalm:

DDD can't gimp snake. He can hit him over and over but gimping doesn't happen without inhale.
Also Fatal is one of the worst players I've ever seen play the DDD match up. When you're double jumping towards a ddd because your playstyle is go all in... that's a problem.
DDD can hit Snake over and over until he dies, lolz. Go watch some Atomsk vs Snake since you guys like to quote him so much. He's so good at doing this. Snake can't go high immediately because he's dthrown or grab-released. Smart DDDs will do this instead of fthrowing them. I mentioned these options several times before, but it seems like you ignored them (wouldn't be the first time), which is somewhat irritating. :glare: When DDD releases Snake at such a low point, he can just fair/bair him until he dies. Nobody's saying that Snake loses onstage, but you're trying to make it look like Snake is almost guaranteed to make it back onstage from being sent off, even if he takes some damage in the process. That's simply not true. If DDD does the right action at the ledge, which is NOT throwing Snake high, Snake can most definitely be gimped. I see Atomsk do it to top Snakes. Your statements otherwise are kinda ignorant.

Again, nobody is saying Snake should always be gimped, but I am saying that good Snakes most definitely CAN be.

I've already answered your question on the ddd's I've played. I've gotten my practice from HelpR in the DDD match up @ sessions. I've played Vex, Jband in tournament and I played iLove in a money match/friendlies at apex. Whenever I played the match up right vs all of these guys the match was always slightly in my favor. I did lose to vex and jband, but I lost to them both because of the stage and not because they outplayed me. Not to say they wouldn't have outplayed me, but that's how it was.
LOOOOLZ! :rotfl: HelpR is not a top DDD, and I doubt he is even a high-level DDD. Jband is a high-level player, but I wouldn't extend that status to his DDD either. He's much better with MK, which makes sense because he mostly goes MK in tourney matches that matter anyway. iLove is most definitely NOT even a high-level DDD. DewDaDash is probably better than all three of those DDDs, with the possible exception of only Jbandrew. The fact that you lose to both Vex and Jband means that I would really trust Dew's opinion over yours. DewDaDash is actually a high-level DDD with some really good wins to his name. Do your research, kid.

This match up is 55-45 snake favor. Dthrow is enough to put it in our favor, in combination with many other things.
This is one of the dumbest statements I have ever read in this thread.

I trust your opinion on the Snake match-up less than those of Coney, Atomsk, and Vex because I know they have more Snake experience from a variety of Snake players than you do. I trust that your opinion is otherwise, but I do not agree with it and I'm backed up by three D3 players that are better than you. In short, I trust you, but still don't believe you're right and I believe if you have more experience with more players your opinion would change to an opinion similar to those of Coney, Atomsk, and Vex. (One day if you surpass them, its even a possibility you can prove them, myself, and others wrong. Still don't believe it will happen as of now, so go and prove us wrong.)
Coney also thinks that DDD:Wario is even. I just talked to him personally about that very MU while playing with him at a smashfest. Stand with him. C'mon... I wanna see this. :smirk:

My opinion on the MU as a whole is even, so I am not trying to say Snake has the advantage. If it is +1 DDD's favor then it is a 55:45 or closer MU.
I've been saying this the entire time I was talking about this MU. Are people even reading my posts? :c

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I have also seen Atomsk Inhale-release Snakes out of Cypher and then just footstool their C4 recovery, to support what Bobwithlobsters was saying before.

I can't test it now because it is past midnight here, but I am 99% sure that I have blown up 'nades with fully-spaced ftilt without the explosion hitting me. :smash:

Coney

Smash Master
Coney also thinks that DDD:Wario is even. I just talked to him personally about that very MU while playing with him at a smashfest. Stand with him. C'mon... I wanna see this. :smirk:
never said that, chill

said it was closer to even than people think and not especially bad for wario. people misunderstand it. but ddd obv has an advantage

also i'm not good at theorycraft nor am i interested in it. like wtf, i don't even play brawl anymore (FOLLOW ME ON WWW.TWITCH.TV/CONEYZZ FOR DIAMOND LEAGUE OF LEGENDS PLAY B) ) and won't care to be convinced otherwise, and certainly don't care to show others

i, along with other players who accomplished the most with the character, from playing numerous top snakes in different levels of competition, feel as though snake has the advantage in the matchup

take it or leave it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom