• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
--------------------------
Rankings will be updated at LEAST bimonthly (emphasis on the words AT LEAST) meaning monthly updates are possible with proper relevance. On average we only have place, and I won't tolerate that)
I'm calling you out Timmy.

WHERE YOU AT?

:phone:

Medz!

Smash Journeyman
Money Match? :D
sure, but ill play u with my marth and in friendlies too. i hate sheik so much but i want to learn the matchup with marth

@tai, but its worth a better shot than just to go straight marth becuz down throw is freaking ********

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
fox does better vs sheik than marth does so yeah it is better unless your secondary is that much more of a piece of ****.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
fox does better vs sheik than marth does so yeah it is better unless your secondary is that much more of a piece of ****.
your secondary should be that much more of a piece of ****
matchups aren't nearly as significant as people give them credit for

k9.

Smash Ace
@Tai im going to be living at this address now, and Frosty is that 59th st or ave?

@Corey we should play sometime here is my number just hit me up if your free 480-343-6799

bubz

Smash Rookie
matchups aren't nearly as significant as people give them credit for
I disagree with this statement, Falco vs. Marth used to be my 2nd worst MU, now its one of my best, I used to get ***** by Warriorknight's Marth. Then a year later (when DJ taught me the MU) I was able to beat Warriorknight's Marth. Why? Because I didn't know how to space against him and what positions are good and what positions are bad for me and how to make better choices when recovering and other such things. And this happened 2 days ago when I played Warriorknight so yeah. I think learning character hitboxes and MU's are the most important things for smash.

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
I think you're agreeing with him at the same time. Like, basic fundamentals (in your argument, hitboxes) have a stronger impact than the match up as a whole maybe?

A retreating reactive Sheik versus low tiers is the gayest though. A.k.a. OkamiBW.
YES offense (lol c wut I did thar)

:phone:

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I disagree with this statement, Falco vs. Marth used to be my 2nd worst MU, now its one of my best, I used to get ***** by Warriorknight's Marth. Then a year later (when DJ taught me the MU) I was able to beat Warriorknight's Marth. Why? Because I didn't know how to space against him and what positions are good and what positions are bad for me and how to make better choices when recovering and other such things. And this happened 2 days ago when I played Warriorknight so yeah. I think learning character hitboxes and MU's are the most important things for smash.
you're agreeing with me so much more than you think. KNOWING the matchups is extremely important. it might be even more important than "player skill" (whatever that actually MEANS) because when you don't know a matchup, you give away WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY too much free damage

i'm talking about the actual matchup odds on paper. for example, the difference between a 6-4 matchup and a 4-6 matchup is not nearly as significant as people like to think.

too many marth players bust out their garbage pocket space animals against sheiks because they want to find a shallow, temporary, easy way out because they're too scrubby to learn a 40-60 matchup, which isn't that bad since 40-60 is more of a title than an actual statistic or probability.

why do you guys think i never switched off marth vs okami when i was losing to him (except for that ONE set)? it wasn't a matter of marth pride or wanting to win with my main just for the pure sake of it. it was a matter of teaching myself a lesson.

i struggled with the sheik matchup for over a year
axe is still trying to use pikachu in matchups like peach and sheik

tl;dr: this game is hard. don't expect matchup odds to carry you to the gold.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
you're agreeing with me so much more than you think. KNOWING the matchups is extremely important. it might be even more important than "player skill" (whatever that actually MEANS) because when you don't know a matchup, you give away WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY too much free damage

i'm talking about the actual matchup odds on paper. for example, the difference between a 6-4 matchup and a 4-6 matchup is not nearly as significant as people like to think.

too many marth players bust out their garbage pocket space animals against sheiks because they want to find a shallow, temporary, easy way out because they're too scrubby to learn a 40-60 matchup, which isn't that bad since 40-60 is more of a title than an actual statistic or probability.

why do you guys think i never switched off marth vs okami when i was losing to him (except for that ONE set)? it wasn't a matter of marth pride or wanting to win with my main just for the pure sake of it. it was a matter of teaching myself a lesson.

game isn't hard when you use fox.

Yep.

bubz

Smash Rookie

oh! I understand now, I misunderstood what you were trying to say, sorry. So yeah, I agree with Tai lol. For Marth against Sheik, I think you just have to play more carefully against sheik and not depend on throwing out random moves like most Marth players do. Man I wish I didn't play falco. He's such a ****ing cheap *** character *sigh*

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
when i said "secondary," i meant it in the sense that it is a VERY CLEAR SECONDARY. you only use that character for one matchup and don't really have much other experience with the character other than maybe ****ing around in friendlies

e.g. armada's YL

Medz!

Smash Journeyman
u know what tai, u r right. we had a smashfest yesterday and i was playing my friend's sheik and i was doing well with marth. we were going even as long as i was spacing and not doing stupid ****.

thanks for making a good point and im just going to keep using straight marth against sheik from now on.

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
My Marth is only decent because I use fsmash to:
-space
-edgeguard
-punish not shielding
-techchase
-shieldstab
-bait shields so I can just walk up and grab
-knock fastfallers down at 0%
-discourage low platform camping
-DI mixup for low-mid % KO's