• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Oct 28, 2015] Wavedash Wednesday (Oak Park, IL)

Berwyn

Smash Rookie
me and my friend are on our way to try the place out as soon as i drop off my girlfriend. be there like in 20 to 30

Rat

Smash Lord
Just play squirtle Jeff. You'll only get buffs instead.

Also what's the deal with this friday?

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman

Scythe

Smash Master
yo there's going to be sf4 at a tourney this sat in WI that some people are going to. Should host a small entry sf4 tourney, need dat practice.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
I
Brawl is indeed both a joke and real, so what's your point?
I actually like brawl. I prefer trading hits over trading combos. I like using my mind over my fingers. What if I said that wanting to play melee was a joke. Please don't put brawl down. I don't think anyone wants to see this argument, and I don't believe EXP posted this thread for hate or disagreement either.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I actually like brawl. I prefer trading hits over trading combos. I like using my mind over my fingers. What if I said that wanting to play melee was a joke. Please don't put brawl down. I don't think anyone wants to see this argument, and I don't believe EXP posted this thread for hate or disagreement either.
I don't think there would be anything wrong with EXP hosting a Brawl tournament, but the competitive Brawl scene in IL has pretty much died since people started playing PM; there probably wouldn't be many people who'd want to enter. I wouldn't enter Brawl if something was hosted, but I would bring a PM setup for friendlies.

EDIT: Also, I'm sorry that it took so long (and that there's no sound once again), but the videos from the last Wavedash Wednesday can be found here.

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
We hosted a few Brawl tournaments in the earlier Wavedash Wednesdays. We stopped hosting Brawl because as Metroid said more people were interested in PM.
Feel free to play Brawl friendlies on Wednesdays (if there is no setup just ask for one) but we can't host a brawl tournament on Wednesdays due to the low demand and the fact that the PM/Melee tournaments already run late.

However we can host weekly or biweekly Brawl tournaments in the near future on Tues, Thurs, or Sat.
Knubs and Hoenn (or anyone else) if you are interested then just let me know what day works best.
Just be aware that turnouts may be low (especially in the beginning).

Also I will have 1 setup strictly for Brawl friendlies at our next EXPosure tournament on 8/31/13.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
When exactly will melee singles start this week?

Will try to make it out to this. The only other tournament I've ever been to was over 4 years ago.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I

Show me the proof that Brawl takes more mental focus and "mind" than Melee and I'll never **** on the game again.
Give me one reason why one would play Brawl competitively over Melee that you can actually prove. That has to do with the difference in game play.

I'm talking about real reasons, not the "mind over fingers" thing, because that's just an excuse. The mental focus, mind games, and inner spirit are just as big parts of Melee than it is Brawl.

Also, I not even having top 20 tech skill in Illinois alone, still do very well, make brackets at large scale tournaments, and win at Melee.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Punishing 2 frame windows in order to keep any semblance of momentum going in a clunky game that feels like you are playing a Mario water level is mentally draining. I don't think at all when I body you with Fox Jeff.

Let people play their game, even if you don't like it.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
We hosted a few Brawl tournaments in the earlier Wavedash Wednesdays. We stopped hosting Brawl because as Metroid said more people were interested in PM.
Feel free to play Brawl friendlies on Wednesdays (if there is no setup just ask for one) but we can't host a brawl tournament on Wednesdays due to the low demand and the fact that the PM/Melee tournaments already run late.

However we can host weekly or biweekly Brawl tournaments in the near future on Tues, Thurs, or Sat.
Knubs and Hoenn (or anyone else) if you are interested then just let me know what day works best.
Just be aware that turnouts may be low (especially in the beginning).

Also I will have 1 setup strictly for Brawl friendlies at our next EXPosure tournament on 8/31/13.
I have a lot of brawl playing friends that would probably be interested and have been wanting to play more lately.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I'm always down for some Brawl.

For all the haters--there is a lot of ****ty stuff about Brawl. But at a high level there is a lot of potential for astonishly skillful play. It's not all campy bull. Watch this video that came out today if you don't believe me:

This kinda stuff is why I still play Brawl.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Just to be clear, is anything happening on Friday? I was thinking of going to Free Tournament Friday if that was occurring.

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
Just to be clear, is anything happening on Friday? I was thinking of going to Free Tournament Friday if that was occurring.
Yea we did have a free tournament event last Friday. The turnout wasn't as big as Wednesdays but that was expected. Hopefully it will increase in appeal as Wavedash Wednesday did.
I'll be adding a smash ladder side event for Fridays soon.
But yes this Friday will be another tournament.
If ppl only wanna compete in the ladder that's fine and if ppl wanna put down money for the tournament instead of have it be free that is fine too.

Top Bottom