• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Oct 28, 2015] Wavedash Wednesday (Oak Park, IL)

BLUX

Smash Cadet
Can anyone pick me up and 2 others saturday? Were in peoria and ill help pay for gas. Ive also got a setup

Last edited:

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
I'll get you after some link practice, mang.

Can't go into a money match blind, ya dig?

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
I'd give you a ride, Blux, but I don't even have a damn vehicle myself, currently.

The struggle is real ma ni66a.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Trying to make my appearances more frequent. Hopefully I'll be there. Just another case of finding a ride.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Laz, I was watching your Link a lot at EXPosure, but I never got around for asking you to play. If I manage to get there this Wednesday we've gotta do it.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
oh and the matches from my pool r up on utube. windycitysmash is the channel ^.^
Shameless plug time? Shameless plug time!

All EXPosure tournaments/Wavedash Wednesdays are streamed on Twitch and uploaded to our Youtube

Also, follow us on Twitter @WindyCitySmash

And we have a Facebook page

Enough shameless plugs? Maybe for today.

Also all pools matches from EXPosure 7, both Melee and PM, should be up now. If not, they are in the process of being up.

D

Deleted member

Oh how I wish to go to one of these >.< Wavedash Wednesday sounds like a lot of fun ._.

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
Lol I would but I shouldn't ._. Im not exactly the best player :( and i'll probably look stupid trying to become a good smasher.
I was the same when I first went a couple months ago.

Played some good people and improved greatly. It's a good time, bromo!

D

Deleted member

I was the same when I first went a couple months ago.

Played some good people and improved greatly. It's a good time, bromo!
Well, I guess I should give it a shot (if my parents could deal with the hour drive). If you don't mind me asking, what's it like over there (the people and the whole tournament in general). I think people would doubt a 13 year old could become a pro.

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
You don't really have to join the tournament if you go. You can just play friendlies vs everyone and end up learning a lot.

Yeah that's a bit of a drive though. O.o
The people are all cool. We usually range from high school - college age.

D

Deleted member

You don't really have to join the tournament if you go. You can just play friendlies vs everyone and end up learning a lot.

Yeah that's a bit of a drive though. O.o
The people are all cool. We usually range from high school - college age.
Meh, why must it be so far? ._. (I hate carpentersville) but I guess it would be fun to head over there and play, I just gotta practice a lot before I can, don't wanna make myself look like a fool, especially since im so young :p

Captain Faceroll

Smash Apprentice
Well, I guess I should give it a shot (if my parents could deal with the hour drive). If you don't mind me asking, what's it like over there (the people and the whole tournament in general). I think people would doubt a 13 year old could become a pro.
My experience at EXP has been a super positive one. Everyone there was nice and welcoming and even though I got thrashed the first time I went it was still a great time.

People generally are college age or older, I'm 17 and one of the youngest people who go regularly. The age gap hasn't seemed to make too much of a difference, although I do recognize that our ages aren't exactly the same.

Wavedash Wednesdays are nice because there is a smaller amount of people. It has a more communal vibe and is definitely more inviting for a newcomer because it'll be less hectic.

Keep in mind if you go you don't have to enter if you aren't comfortable, you can just play friendlies with people who would be more than happy to give you tips and advice. Although you would have to pay the venue fee if you are going to use the setups.

You will never know what it's like until you go, I'd suggest trying it out and seeing how you like it. Some of the best smashers started out similar to your age or younger (Pewpewu, sfat, hax, amongst others I'm sure)

The only unfortunate part of your situation is that you can't drive yourself, that along with the fact that these things tend to go late. I get home at 11 pm - midnight every time I go, and I live 15 minutes away from Carpentersville.

If you want to talk more about it you can pm me and I can answer any questions you have :)

Last edited:

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Some of the best players started young. One of IL/WI's best Metaknight players in Brawl was like 12 or 13 when he started going to tournaments, and a lot of big name players like Nairo were really young when they started. Age doesn't really mean a thing for skill. Just come to learn, don't be afraid to ask for tips, and actively try to play as much as possible, with as many people as possible. Its the best way to learn.

Mega Manny

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mannerz
I'm relatively new to the smash community, I'll be attending one of these after school soon. Hope to have a lot of fun and learn a lot of new stuff! I just turned 14 and my new years resolution and birthday resolution (of course I have one, duh) were both playing more smash. If I like it maybe it'll become a weekly thing for me!

Top Bottom