• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Observations on the Japanese Fanbase's Desires for Smash 4 (by Chronobound)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It tastes like Chrono. I wan't my poll up damnit.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think he meant the OP has your information on it. Not really a reason to escalate things.

So Chrono, Shortie, please just don't start.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Let's not have a fight here people.

Look Shortie, why not just have Chrono distribute the poll?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You can proxy. It's pretty easy. I just cannot read a lick of Japanese, otherwise I'd do it.

I guess I could even do it myself, if I knew WHERE to go.

schavira

Smash Journeyman
lol wrong thread disregard this, how do you delete posts

Oh, and I hope Shadow is unpopular in Japan. I do not want him making it into this game, especially if he takes a slot from Knuckles.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Because the Japanese block Western IPs.
I've done a bit of searching myself but I feel like I have been searching in the wrong places. If I could get the sites that block Western IPs, I could view them due to having a Japanese IP.

I registered on to a forum a while ago to post up Shortie's Japanese poll but they ended up deleting my account. I was successful on a media website dedicated to games but I have yet to see any results from them.

why would they do that?

now I wanna know if we block japanese IPs :eek:
I assume due to the language barrier. They don't want Westerners coming on and flooding the site with all sorts of English that more than half of the Japanese posters probably can't read or understand.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Your Japanese poll? Well you can share it, and if Chu doesn't put it in the OP I could. How many votes does it have on it atm?
As Shorts said, none. I was helping him with it but I've been busy.

Arteen

Smash Lord
It's a bit of a shame there's not much Japanese love for Golden Sun or Advance Wars. They aren't high-profile series, but both are deserving of a spot on the roster.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
no wants of wreck it ralph, phew

yani

Smash Lord
Hey Chrono, I was wondering if there's every any mention for Banjo? I assume not, but figured I'd ask anyway

Groose

Smash Champion
I've been getting into Japanese Smash speculation recently. I found an interesting "wiki" dedicated to the game; it's very brief and not particularly detailed, but it does have an interesting "participation chance" section. I suspect that it hasn't been edited by a large community; this could be just a single, random Japanese person. Still, that's better than nothing, eh? Here's the link, but if you don't know any Japanese, here's my helpful summary:

Their likely suspects:
Chrom: Awakening popularity and stage make him very likely.

Dixie Kong: The one-two punch of Tropical Freeze and Forbidden Seven makes her a likely suspect, in blogger's eyes.

Mewtwo: They say that he's basically confirmed... and then hopes that this is more than wishful thinking.

Zoroark: Oddly enough, they don't even give him his own paragraph like all of the other characters... his name is just sitting there by itself. Huh.

Kid Icarus Newcomer: This section is difficult for me to read... they mention the series has exploded and may be in line for someone, but that's really all I can make out. They seem to be saying that the franchise may be a bit unknown, or perhaps they're saying they don't really know the franchise. I think it's the latter. Sorry, limited Japanese at work.

Little Mac: Cites stage and assist trophy status. Oddly doesn't mention Western popularity, but this could be an oversight.

Takamaru: They're really high on this guy in chance and want. Nintendoland Music cited, Nintendoland cited, 1986 group cited. They say he's the "most obvious" Retro character.

The other mentioned, but dismissed characters:
Toad and Bowser Jr. They have pretty solid popularity, but aren't likely. No real reasons for their unlikely status are given.

Geno. They state that his copyright issues strike him down cold.

King K. Rool. They note he's really the last major villain left outside of maybe Ridley or Porky and would make for great cutscenes (which it mentions in an edit aren't going to be included), but just is outclassed by Dixie's Forbidden 7 status and Tropical Freeze appearence.

Dark Samus. They just straight out use the Japanese word for "unnecessary."

Ridley: They don't give him his own paragraph like the others; he is mentioned in K.Rool's paragraph, however, as being a major, unrepresented villain. However, they also mention that Metroid is a low-profile franchise.

Krystal: Whoever wrote it has a dislike for Krystal and seems to ask Sakurai not to put her in addition to predicting he won't do so because she doesn't compare to the others. My limited Japanese admittedly may be interfering with my translation here.

Leon is also given a mention, but is dismissed.

Ashley: They say she's clearly the most popular WarioWare character and say she's one of the most popular female characters.They also cite her overseas popularity and the ease it would take to create her compared to some others. The writer also expresses desire to see her... but just doesn't think a Wario character is likely, and does mention Jimmy T as another possible contender.

Black Shadow: They say that they think only Falcon will make it, but do mention Shadow has popularity.

Lip: They cite the item as a help, but say she's just too unknown, especially overseas.

Isaac: They cite his foreign popularity, but say that he's a relative unknown in Japan.

Miis: They bring up an interesting posssibility: Mii Masks will be available for Villager as they are in Animal Crossing. They say that Miis themselves kind of missed the boat in Brawl and their lack of arms could cause problems.

Balloon Fighter: They cite Villager in the same way we do.

Dragon Quest Character: They say there's no obvious choice, no overseas popularity, and seemingly no connection like with Snake.

Tails: They use the same "special case" argument that we do.

Zelda Newcomer: No obvious choice and the franchise is well enough represented.

Kirby Newcomer: "No other character is equal to Meta Knight and King Dedede." Sorry, Waddle Dee fans... his name didn't even come up.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley: They don't give him his own paragraph like the others; he is mentioned in K.Rool's paragraph, however, as being a major, unrepresented villain. However, they also mention that Metroid is a low-profile franchise.
Oh yeah, because Mother, Fire Emblem and Star Fox are much higher-profile franchises for sure.

In general there are a lot of weird things mentioned in the blog, but from what I read from your little translation it's not much different from an opinionated blogger around our parts. In the end, this is just the opinion of one guy, so it's no big deal, but it's nice to at least get some insight from a Japanese guy anyways.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
People hating Krystal, Isaac nowhere near as popular, Black Shadow having popularity, Metroid being considered a low profile franchise. Sounds typical of a Japanese prospective.

Surprised it didn't mention Shulk anywhere.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I wonder whether this guy is the norm for opinions over there, or whether it's the Japanese equivalent of Vaztor or something. Not that this is anything to take deeply into consideration, given that it was posted after the E3 trailer, unlike the previous 2011-2012 fanbase findings, but it's still nice enough to read all the same.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Good find Groose. You're doing your country proud. I'll add this to the OP and anything else you can find.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Dragon Quest Character: They say there's no obvious choice
Slime.

no overseas popularity
It's fairly well liked in Europe, no FF, but still notable. Also I alone make up for a lot of that lack :p. But seriously, Enix never broke the west, and kind of needs to, that and Nintendo constantly trying to pull Squeenix up from bankruptcy and get there games out in the west (DQ DS remakes, Rocket Slime and Bravely Default) I feel it behooves both parties to promote DQ in smash (to the west) and would be a huge deal for Japan... heck, they're discussing it as a third party rep while ignoring Pac-Man, which says a lot about how they'd react if someone was revealed.

and seemingly no connection like with Snake.
Sakurai and Ichimura (DQ 8+9 [the most popular in the west and east respectively]) are friends. He's also publicly defended Dragon Quest 10 when it was revealed to be an MMO.

While the connection is further removed for sure, the DQ department have to hold Sakurai in fairly high regards...

But hey, I can only hope the right decision's made by the developers, because the Japanese public don't seem to be pushing for Slime...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
People hating Krystal, Isaac nowhere near as popular, Black Shadow having popularity, Metroid being considered a low profile franchise. Sounds typical of a Japanese prospective.

Surprised it didn't mention Shulk anywhere.
That's because they already cited the better blonde haired RPG hero. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

With the new developments going on with SSB4, I am very curious what the Japanese think on these topics:
-The 3DS limitations
-The possible Punch Out!! stage
-The Ice Climbers and their technical problems
-The Pyrosphere reveal
-Their reactions to Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer
-Their opinions on the game thus far
-Which characters need to be overhauled like Bowser and Pit
-Toad being Peach's neutral special again
-What they think the roster amount will be like
-If they think that the 3DS is going to limit the Wii U version

I had other things in mind, but these were the ones that I remembered off the top of my head.

However, I don't think that it's necessary to see if there are new developments as to what newcomers they want to see. The newcomers that the fans wanted were studied by Sakurai and I bet that he got similar results as us. That and the roster is already complete (by "complete", I mean the characters are already decided, not the already revealed characters being the roster) as Sakurai is finished with the data he received and is working on implementation.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think the Japanese guys have had much talk about the Pyrosphere reveal, not only because they care little about Ridley, but also because Sakurai's comment talked about Samus's trauma rather than making a very specific nod to Ridley.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think the Japanese guys have had much talk about the Pyrosphere reveal, not only because they care little about Ridley, but also because Sakurai's comment talked about Samus's trauma rather than making a very specifically nod to Ridley.

I hate when the translation changes the meaning like that. It's "Ness up until now" all over again.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So... considering that Mewtwo and Roy have more requests than Mega Man... does that ensure a return for the both of them?

D

Deleted member

So... considering that Mewtwo and Roy have more requests than Mega Man... does that ensure a return for the both of them?
In my opinion, I think that Mewtwo will return. If Sakurai ignores THE most requested character worldwide with his cut in Brawl being called a "travesty," then I would be massively surprised and disappointed.

As for Roy, he could happen. Though, it just depends if Intelligent Systems want Roy in SSB4 as they might prefer Chrom. I definitely think that Ike will return and there will be three Fire Emblem slots, so it's pretty much the battle for the third slot between Roy and Chrom, with Roy having a slight edge over him.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
In my opinion, I think that Mewtwo will return. If Sakurai ignores THE most requested character worldwide with his cut in Brawl being called a "travesty," then I would be massively surprised and disappointed.

As for Roy, he could happen. Though, it just depends if Intelligent Systems want Roy in SSB4 as they might prefer Chrom. I definitely think that Ike will return and there will be three Fire Emblem slots, so it's pretty much the battle for the third slot between Roy and Chrom, with Roy having a slight edge over him.
For me, I agree with Mewtwo, but I see Chrom, Marth and Roy making it onto the roster. Ike... I'm not so sure about him. It seems like he isn't relevant anymore, with Chrom taking the spot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
For me, I agree with Mewtwo, but I see Chrom, Marth and Roy making it onto the roster. Ike... I'm not so sure about him. It seems like he isn't relevant anymore, with Chrom taking the spot.
Okay, so Roy is okay but not Ike?

Exactly how much Fire Emblem did you play?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A Lot, thanks.

In the series, no. To Smash Players, Yes.
FE9 and FE10 both came before FE6...

And had Ike as a main character.

So far only Marth was main character in more games. Roy's game didn't even reach international shores.

Can you please stop talking bull****?

Look wise guy, people that played Melee LOVED Roy. Where they disappointed by Ike? Yes.
No they where not. Ike for example wasn't a Marth clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom