• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Obama Administration Announces Massive Piracy Crackdown

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
ha at the anger

I'm a dummy cause my comments mean nothing to you if they didn't then you wouln't of responded. Now who's the dummy.

And if they suffer then everyone around them will including the Artist, it's a domino effect. A blind man could see that.

cry more please since they are trying to stop you from getting free stuff rofl
Yeah, but the artists are already suffering. They would still be suffering if internet piracy wasn't around because the "middle men" have been ******* them around for decades.

And no, I called you a dummy because you somehow thought "middleman" is the same thing as "middle class"...which is dumb. You might as well stop and let freeman argue your side for you.

NNID
Budget_Player
I am a bad troll.

Yes, I will blindly spout off my mouth without actually understanding the issue, or having done any research on it, and expect us to repeat what we just explained for the last two pages.
Fixed your post.

Should Nintendo be allowed to put Kratos from God of War in the next Smash Bros. game, without Sony's permission? I mean, they're not stealing anything, right? They're just "making a copy" of Kratos. Sony hasn't lost anything. Besides, Sony is just the "middle man." David Jaffe is the artist who created Kratos, and he doesn't get nearly as much money from the God of War games as Sony gets. So, by your logic, I guess Nintendo(or any other developer) could just use Kratos in their games without even asking Sony. Maybe they could donate $5 to David Jaffe. That's how stupid you sound.
Whoa, hang on a second, did I endorse commercial copyright theft? That kind of thing is not merely filesharing/piracy, that is gross commercial copyright infringement. I do not agree with that for a moment-I hold that commercial institutions should have to hold themselves to copyright laws, and similarly, if I go around selling my mix tapes of old classic copyrighted rock, I deserve to be hurt for it. That falls closer to "actually claiming it as their own".

If you didn't feel entitled to have it, you wouldn't take it.
Fair enough?

You can get it from another source if that source has a legal right to sell/give it to you. For example, I can boycott Gamestop and still buy games from Target, because Target has just as much of a right to sell games as Gamestop does. I can't boycott Wal-Mart and then buy games from a shoplifter who stole them from Wal-Mart.
Where am I going to get my music if I boycott the RIAA and really, REALLY like mainstream bands? Remember, I'm not boycotting the bands-I'm boycotting the broken system that takes advantage of them.

You need to read up on capitalism and learn how it works. If you don't think something is worth what the seller is asking, you don't have to buy it, but you don't get to have it anyway. You can't not pay for something and still take it. That's no different than if Wal-Mart took your money and gave you a blank CD. You wouldn't like it if they took your money and didn't give you the product you were supposed to get, so why is it okay for you to take their product and not give them the money they were supposed to get?
EXCEPT I'M NOT TAKING THEIR PRODUCT. HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO ****ING SAY IT. When Wal-Mart takes my money and gives me a blank CD, I am losing something. When I steal Wal-Mart's software packages that they bought to put out on the shelves, they are losing something. The more fair comparison would be "If Wal-Mart borrowed my CDs, copied them all, and listened to them for personal enjoyment". Because if they do that, nobody is hurt.

The movie industry isn't dying out. I don't know where you got that information from.
From the way you talk about this stuff, it's an easy assumption to make. The fact that, despite that downloads are massively on the rise, and that we are going through one of the most brutal recessions since 1929, the industry is still booming, should be a sign that we REALLY aren't hurting anyone.

Again, YOU DON'T GET TO BOYCOTT SOMETHING AND TAKE IT ANYWAY. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?
I don't think the statement is correct, to be honest. It is correct when taking it is theft, and the boycotter loses money directly. But when it's merely copying his product, then there's nothing to say about it-I got his product from a better source.

And what do you care about theaters getting shafted? Aren't theaters the evil "middle man" who you don't think deserves anything?
The theaters? Arguably. They don't produce and they hardly consume. And the business model is one that I predict will be wildly unsuccessful in the next while, especially because of home theaters.

I'd rather not watch Avatar at all, but that's besides the point. There are plenty of movies that I would rather watch at home. The question is do I have a legal right to watch those movies?
The whole purpose of the theater is exactly that-providing that massive, theater experience. They won't die out until people start putting massive screens in their homes, and making their own popcorn (to the extent that theatergoing becomes massively unpopular). And start getting movies earlier.

Anectode, semantics

Replace with movies.

:V

Courtney Love is a spiteful b#$%^. She sued Activision for using Kurt Cobain in one of their Guitar Hero games, when they had legal permission to do so. Even if they didn't have permission to use Kurt Cobain, they should be able to do it anyway according to you. After all, they aren't "taking anything."

Courtney Love is an idiot. The only thing that could "open my eyes" is the fact that I'm so surprised people still give that moron a forum to speak on.
They aren't. He's dead.

But this is quite literally ad hominem. You're ignoring her statements because of who she is, what she's done. Attacking the arguer instead of the argument. Or you could check out that article from the record industry insider.

Ice vendors didn't invent ice. Music was invented by people, and different artists all create their own unique music.
And they still will.

The pirates are breaking the law, you idiot. It's not the same as a competing technology.

What is legal ≠ what is right. If we were to make what is correct law, we wouldn't have/had had:
-Corrupt politicians
-Slanderous and ridiculously biased "news" on either side
-4chan
-witch burnings
-slavery
et cetera. Do not EVER argue with legality ≠ correctness.

How am I ignoring this argument when I've already addressed it 900,000 times? You're the one who is apparently ignoring my responses. Let me write this so that maybe you'll actually see it.

THERE ISN'T ANYTHING STOPPING ARTISTS FOR PUTTING THEIR OWN MUSIC ONLINE FOR FREE IF THEY THINK IT WILL HELP THEM. HEATHEN COULD EASILY PUT THEIR SONGS ON YOUTUBE THEMSELVES IF THEY THINK IT'S GOING TO HELP THEM GAIN FANS. IT'S NOT YOUR PLACE TO DECIDE THAT FOR THEM.
It isn't. Fair enough. However, again:
-Once you've signed with a record company, they own your music. Not you. So you lose that opportunity. Ironically, it's hard to actually come out big when you don't have the PR a big lable brings you. And even then it's still hard.
-It sounds very counterproductive to some artists. Shouldn't we be able to do what they can't think of doing for their own benefit (not what they're saying "DON'T DO THIS" due to pride or whatever, but rather things they just were too dumb to think of/analyze)

How about not pirating? You can boycott record labels and donate to bands without pirating.
Yes, but then I lose the part of the equation that makes me actually care about the whole situation.

That link someone else posted a few pages back said that the number of CDs released has gone down as pirating has gone up. Artists are making less money off selling music because of pirating, and so they're spending less time making new music. It's not hard to figure out.
Or maybe that we're in a serious economic recession? Maybe that record companies aren't prepared to help some artists produce albums? I really disagree with the causality behind this.

Once you've acknowledged that there is finite demand for music, I don't see how you can possibly argue that pirating isn't hurting anyone. While there may be an infinite supply of music because of digital downloads, there isn't an infinite supply of consumers. Pirating takes away consumers.
I have a song that I pirated. What's stopping me from, you know, buying it when I have the money?

That isn't weakening my argument at all. You're just admitting that you know it's wrong, but you don't care. That's exactly what my argument has been the entire time. You've basically just conceding that I'm right with that sentence.
Okay. Except your point loses all of its bite when the support for it falls away (which it kinda does).

Suspect

Smash Hero
No, I just mis-read it really. I actually didn't come here to argue so I will let him argue for "my side" which I honestly don't see why there should be an opposing side, mind boggling.

edit: Oh I have done some research, I just don't like arguing/debating much.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Budget Player Cadet_
Whoa, hang on a second, did I endorse commercial copyright theft? That kind of thing is not merely filesharing/piracy, that is gross commercial copyright infringement. I do not agree with that for a moment-I hold that commercial institutions should have to hold themselves to copyright laws, and similarly, if I go around selling my mix tapes of old classic copyrighted rock, I deserve to be hurt for it. That falls closer to "actually claiming it as their own".
I don't see what difference it makes whether or not money changes hands. The idea that it's okay to steal until you start making money is completely stupid. If I pirate the new Eminem album, according to you I'm not doing anything wrong because I'm not actually taking anything from Eminem. So what difference does it make if I pirate the album, burn it onto a CD, and sell the CD for $5? I still haven't taken anything from Eminem.

Budget Player Cadet_
Where am I going to get my music if I boycott the RIAA and really, REALLY like mainstream bands? Remember, I'm not boycotting the bands-I'm boycotting the broken system that takes advantage of them.
Maybe nowhere. You aren't entitled to have music. If the only place you can get music you like is from a place you don't want to give money to, then you have to choose between giving money to that place or not having music. That's the way it works. Sorry...

Budget Player Cadet_
From the way you talk about this stuff, it's an easy assumption to make. The fact that, despite that downloads are massively on the rise, and that we are going through one of the most brutal recessions since 1929, the industry is still booming, should be a sign that we REALLY aren't hurting anyone.
Piracy isn't hurting theaters much because people like to be out with their friends and watch movies on the big screen. Piracy is hurting DVD sales though. That pretty much proves that piracy has nothing to do with people not wanting to give their money to a middle man or things being too expensive. They'll still go to a movie theater, pay $12 to see a movie, pay another $10 for popcorn and a drink, but they won't pay for a DVD even though you can get lots of movies for $5 at Wal-Mart. It's not about money, it's about selfishness. They just aren't able to pirate the whole theater experience, so they have to pay for that.

Budget Player Cadet_
I don't think the statement is correct, to be honest. It is correct when taking it is theft, and the boycotter loses money directly. But when it's merely copying his product, then there's nothing to say about it-I got his product from a better source.
It doesn't really matter what you think. It's not up to you to decide what can or can't be done with someone else's intellectual property.

Suppose you're a song writer and you don't like Obama. You write a hit song, and then Obama uses it as his theme song when he runs for re-election in 2012, without your permission. Do you think that's right or wrong? Keep in mind, you aren't losing anything, because he would have never paid you for permission to use the song in the first place. He would have just used another song if your song didn't exist. So would you have a problem with this? Even if YOU wouldn't, could you see how someone else might?

Budget Player Cadet_
But this is quite literally ad hominem. You're ignoring her statements because of who she is, what she's done. Attacking the arguer instead of the argument. Or you could check out that article from the record industry insider.
Even if Courtney Love were to convince me that record labels are the worst things in the world, that wouldn't mean that piracy is okay. You don't get to take the product of someone else's labor without compensating them just because you don't like record labels. All that is is an excuse. You're just blaming the record labels to justify your own selfish behavior. At least record labels have to offer artists a deal that they agree to. They don't just take what they want like you do.

Budget Player Cadet_
What is legal ≠ what is right.
That's true in a lot of cases, but not in this case. People have a right to themselves, their property, and their labor. To say they don't is to advocate slavery.

Imagine you invent a machine that creates unlimited tomatoes. You decide to start selling the tomatoes. Can I just go and take all the tomatoes I want from you without paying since they're unlimited? It was your hard work that created the machine that could make the tomatoes, so why should I be entitled to have any of the tomatoes without your permission?

Budget Player Cadet_
-Slanderous and ridiculously biased "news" on either side
There's absolutely nothing wrong with biased news. All news is and should be biased. I'm not sure you're using the word "slanderous" correctly, but even if you are, I'm okay with that too.

Budget Player Cadet_
Once you've signed with a record company, they own your music. Not you. So you lose that opportunity.
So what? That's like saying that once I sell my car I can't let my friends borrow it anymore. If you agree to sell the rights to your music to someone else, then they get to decide what is or isn't done with your music. No one forced you to sell the rights.

Budget Player Cadet_
Ironically, it's hard to actually come out big when you don't have the PR a big lable brings you.
THAT'S WHY RECORD LABELS GET SO MUCH MONEY, YOU MORON!!!

Budget Player Cadet_
It sounds very counterproductive to some artists. Shouldn't we be able to do what they can't think of doing for their own benefit
No...

Budget Player Cadet_
Yes, but then I lose the part of the equation that makes me actually care about the whole situation.
Too bad, you aren't entitled to have it. And how have you lost anything when you didn't have it in the first place?

Budget Player Cadet_
Or maybe that we're in a serious economic recession? Maybe that record companies aren't prepared to help some artists produce albums? I really disagree with the causality behind this.
The recession started in 2007, and those statistics showed that the number of CDs released decreased from 1997 to 2004.

Budget Player Cadet_
I have a song that I pirated. What's stopping me from, you know, buying it when I have the money?
I don't know. You tell me.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Shouldn't the Obama administration be working on something a little bit more important than this?

BEES

Smash Lord
According to the Obama administration, the RIAA, and MPAA, the world economy is pretty much doomed if we don't start prosecuting pirates at home and abroad. Without such a crackdown, businesses will go bankrupt the coalition argues. Biden states, "Piracy hurts, it hurts our economy."
Every business that stands to go bankrupt from piracy is one that contributes absolutely nothing of any value to the economy. In fact the MPAA and RIAA are very large deadweight losses we've been living with.

Let them burn.

walsh

Smash Cadet
Did you read this part?

It also implements an interesting provision called "imminent infringement", which allows the government to charge people who they think might be about to infringe with a civil offense (for example if you searched "torrent daft punk"). This is among the first official "thought crime" provisions to be proposed by the U.S. government.

Minority Report, anyone?

The reason torrents should never be banned is because, while they are a way to share illegal information, they are also a medium for sharing FREE and LEGAL information.

I will rise up and lead the revolution against the government myself if this ever happens in the US:

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2010/what-does-china-censor-online/

Top Bottom