• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OAK: SNF 4! Rhode Island Nov 17. The Princess is in another castle.

Elen

Smash Lord
ZoSo's counterpick rule could be amazing. Or at least, won't **** me over ;)

I'll try my best to make this.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Upon further consideration, I think we should either ban Mute City or unban Corneria.

Even though Fox counters everybody on Stadium to begin with? And he's good enough to beat anybody on Mute City anyway? I don't know. Just something to think about.
UNBAN CORNERIA
PLEASE
FOR THE LOVE OF COUNTERPICKS
PLEASE UNBAN CORNERIA

ZoSo

Smash Champion
UNBAN CORNERIA
PLEASE
FOR THE LOVE OF COUNTERPICKS
PLEASE UNBAN CORNERIA
That settles it. Corneria is banned.

It's not exactly the ZoSo rule. I wouldn't be the first to suggest it and this tournament certainly won't be the first to employ it. I'm glad people approve of it, though.

I've thought about it and decided that Mute City should be banned in addition to Corneria. Other stages such as Brinstar, DK64, et al don't unbalance the gameplay to quite as great an extent, IMO.

How does everybody feel about Dave's Stupid Rule?

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
ok what the eff, why would you ban Mute City? *peach cries* how does that stage "unbalance the gameplay" more than say Jungle Japes? I beat Elen on Japes last tourney even though he was clearly outplaying me because he got klap-trapped 3 times. Or we could all play on only FD/DL64.... -_-'

Dave's stupid rule is fine. I don't really see it used that much anyway.

Pat/Pro

Smash Ace
I want to preface this by saying this is all in good fun.

#1 zoso's rule is stupid because it handicaps people that actually have took the time to learn more than one character. Its funny how marth's and cf's best stages are all neutral and that they suck at most non neutrals huh zoso? So if I was to change characters that is the only ones I could hope to get.

#2 Banning corneria and not the japes is ********. The japes has frickin little alligators that come out and eat you. At mmfe4 I had to play mute city 2 times, rainbow cruise, and pokefloats and I didnt complain about it. Speaking of rainbow cruise how the hell is that not banned if corneria is. If your telliing me that its fair for all characters then you are crazy. Zoso just wants corneria banned because of fox plain and simple. He hates fox. Why not just ban using fox while your at it. I would be more fine with that. You should be prepared for anything when you go to a tourney (within reason obviously). But I understand we wouldnt want anyone to counterpick corneria or mute city against someone who plays marth and/or falcon now would we. If pokemon stadium wasnt a neutral stage I guarantee that it would be banned for this tourney.

#3 I think its funny how MLG tourneys allow for so much freedom in stage selection but smaller more local ones completely cut down on it. If you are gonna start picking and choosing the non neutrals to ban you should just ban them all.

ZoSo

Smash Champion

#1 zoso's rule is stupid because it handicaps people that actually have took the time to learn more than one character. Its funny how marth's and cf's best stages are all neutral and that they suck at most non neutrals huh zoso? So if I was to change characters that is the only ones I could hope to get.
Unlike Fox who's good enough to beat any character on any stage, right? You'd realize that if you weren't such a scrub (all in good fun, of course).

This system in no way handicaps people who play more than one character. Even if we were to say it does, it's not to nearly as great an extent as the current system handicaps people who only play one character (like you, Pat).

#2 Banning corneria and not the japes is ********. The japes has frickin little alligators that come out and eat you. At mmfe4 I had to play mute city 2 times, rainbow cruise, and pokefloats and I didnt complain about it. Speaking of rainbow cruise how the hell is that not banned if corneria is. If your telliing me that its fair for all characters then you are crazy. Zoso just wants corneria banned because of fox plain and simple. He hates fox. Why not just ban using fox while your at it. I would be more fine with that. You should be prepared for anything when you go to a tourney (within reason obviously). But I understand we wouldnt want anyone to counterpick corneria or mute city against someone who plays marth and/or falcon now would we. If pokemon stadium wasnt a neutral stage I guarantee that it would be banned for this tourney.
1. I forgot about Japes, but I think it should be banned too (even though I enjoy it quite a lot).
2. I think Corneria should be banned not only because it's a horribly unbalanced stage, but also because it promotes mass camping.
3. I said I think Mute City should be banned. What's the problem?
4. Fox counters everybody character in the game on Pokemon Stadium (yes, even Marth), so I don't know what you're complaining about.
5. You're being stupid.

#3 I think its funny how MLG tourneys allow for so much freedom in stage selection but smaller more local ones completely cut down on it. If you are gonna start picking and choosing the non neutrals to ban you should just ban them all.
I think it's funny how this isn't MLG so that's totally irrelevant.

Hey, it's all in good fun, right?

CogSmooch: The biggest problem with Mute City is by FAR the absence of ledges.

NusCirtap

Smash Ace
West Hartford, CT <3 Asian Cuteness Level: 10
Oh shizzle! The battle is about to commence.

I think every stage is fun, I wish it was all on. >_> Japes is pretty gay even though it's fun, I don't really care about mute or corneria. I never use any of these as counter picks anyways, actually no, I have used Japes on Kaiser and won! I use to use Corneria randomly but now I realize, I am no good at it. ^^

Fox is a beast!

Aesir

Smash Master
Oh shizzle! The battle is about to commence.

I think every stage is fun, I wish it was all on. >_> Japes is pretty gay even though it's fun, I don't really care about mute or corneria. I never use any of these as counter picks anyways, actually no, I have used Japes on Kaiser and won! I use to use Corneria randomly but now I realize, I am no good at it. ^^

Fox is a beast!
Nothing truer has ever been said, ever.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
LOL. I just realized Great Bay isn't on any of the ban lists.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I would seriously consider doing that as a side tourney, actually. <_<

Fox dittos are really fun... and gay.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master

Unlike Fox who's good enough to beat any character on any stage, right? You'd realize that if you weren't such a scrub (all in good fun, of course).

This system in no way handicaps people who play more than one character. Even if we were to say it does, it's not to nearly as great an extent as the current system handicaps people who only play one character (like you, Pat).

1. I forgot about Japes, but I think it should be banned too (even though I enjoy it quite a lot).
2. I think Corneria should be banned not only because it's a horribly unbalanced stage, but also because it promotes mass camping.
3. I said I think Mute City should be banned. What's the problem?
4. Fox counters everybody character in the game on Pokemon Stadium (yes, even Marth), so I don't know what you're complaining about.
5. You're being stupid.

I think it's funny how this isn't MLG so that's totally irrelevant.

Hey, it's all in good fun, right?

CogSmooch: The biggest problem with Mute City is by FAR the absence of ledges.
my points in no particular order.
1) So what??? Just cause some characters get dicked over a bit doesn't mean it should be banned. Also no ledges aren't necessarily a bad thing when you look at the friggin ledge metagame and how people like m2k use ledge invincibility frames gay shit to fro people all the time.

2) Japes and Rainbow Cruise (especially) promote camping way more than friggin Corneria. And something being horribly unbalanced doesn't make it bannable. IE FOX YO.

3) Pat plays more than 1 character he beat me with Sheik once in tournament. And I was Peach. On Jungle Japes.

4) I agree this path leads to banning all non-nuetrals which is pretty lame.

5) "This system in no way handicaps people who play more than one character. Even if we were to say it does, it's not to nearly as great an extent as the current system handicaps people who only play one character (like you, Pat)." -- I would MUCH MUCH rather have a system that slightly handicaps people who only play one character than a system that slightly handicaps people that play lots of characters. Why not just have people enter the tournament as one character and be forced to stay that character the whole time, anime convention style?

ZoSo

Smash Champion
my points in no particular order.
1) So what??? Just cause some characters get dicked over a bit doesn't mean it should be banned. Also no ledges aren't necessarily a bad thing when you look at the friggin ledge metagame and how people like m2k use ledge invincibility frames gay shit to fro people all the time.

2) Japes and Rainbow Cruise (especially) promote camping way more than friggin Corneria. And something being horribly unbalanced doesn't make it bannable. IE FOX YO.

3) Pat plays more than 1 character he beat me with Sheik once in tournament. And I was Peach. On Jungle Japes.

4) I agree this path leads to banning all non-nuetrals which is pretty lame.

5) "This system in no way handicaps people who play more than one character. Even if we were to say it does, it's not to nearly as great an extent as the current system handicaps people who only play one character (like you, Pat)." -- I would MUCH MUCH rather have a system that slightly handicaps people who only play one character than a system that slightly handicaps people that play lots of characters. Why not just have people enter the tournament as one character and be forced to stay that character the whole time, anime convention style?
1. I have witnessed klaptrap **** the likes of which you could not imagine. It's definitely more than just "a bit." I don't really understand your argument regarding ledges.

2. So are you saying we should ban Rainbow Cruise too?

3. No comment.

4. I actually agree with you to an extent, but I honestly think most of these stages should've just been banned in the first place.

5. If you can explain to me how the system I'm proposing handicaps diverse players, I will gladly hear you out.

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
If we're going to ban Corneria we might as well ban every ****ing stage that's not neutral

Aesir

Smash Master
Most of these stages I agree with the bans except for a few >_>
Corneria: I mean I can see why its pretty gay with camping, but really isn't that what smash is? a gay camping game? I mean isn't that why cort has ***** in his face all the time? I mean we allow stadium and that stage just gives fox a **** load of awesome advantages against the entire cast.

Pokefloats: aside from falling through why? and don't say no one likes it.

Green Greens: probably the only stage I can agree with, but I don't want to see it go =( *biased opinion*

Elen

Smash Lord
Dreamland should be banned cuz its too big.
Fountain of dreams should be banned cuz it has too many colors.
Yoshi's story should be banned cuz it's too bright.
Pokemon stadium should be banned cuz it looks funny.
Final dest should be banned cuz it's purple, giving ganon complete stealth.

Fox should be banned cuz star wolf clearly stated that all who oppose andross will be destroyed.

I'm bored, []Deace.

Edit: Also, these rules look fun, I'm not making fun of the present rules in any way, I'm just making words good.

Pat/Pro

Smash Ace
First of all I dont recall insulting you because I dont consider that "all in good fun". Last time I checked we usually split matches unless you count the time I beat you almost every game when you came to my house. But its ok, its just cause I play fox. But seriously chill out, my post wasnt a direct attack it was supposed to be somewhat funny which is why I wrote it was all in good fun because you can't convey tone in text format.

"This system in no way handicaps people who play more than one character. Even if we were to say it does, it's not to nearly as great an extent as the current system handicaps people who only play one character (like you, Pat)."

I couldnt find one ounce of truth in that statement.
#1 How can you say it in "no way handicaps people who play more than one character"? If someone only played one character they would just choose the stage and play the tournament just like any other. If they played multiple characters they would be faced with the penalty of not being able to choose the stage for wanting to choose that other character if they were to lose a match.
#2 List of characters I use at tournaments:
Fox, Shiek, Marth, Doc, IC's

I have used all of the above at least once in an mlg tournament. I use them more often in smaller tourneys like this one. I actually consider my best character shiek but I use fox against spacies and shiek. I even used IC's against Pup N Suds on frickin teams 2 vesticles ago. And I always play shiek on teams unless someone is playing fox or falco. In fact I used shiek last tourney just as much as I used fox. I also used marth and ganon.

The mlg thing was a sidepoint. Outside of the rest of what I was saying. I personally prefer their style because of the fact that you never know what to expect when entering a match. Ive beaten some extremely good people by picking levels that I practice that others dont. I think you should be rewarded for an overall knowledge of tournament legal levels. Also, its not irrelevant because last time I checked this was a message board where you can talk about what you are thinking. But if you want to press the issue it is also relevant because mlg tournaments are the most prestigious tournaments and the setup for their tournament has some validity because of that.

Fox counters marth on 2 stages marth counters him on most. But lets not get into that.

Aesir

Smash Master
Pat theres a difference between scrub and noob.

Noob = someone who sucks at the game, and we know you don't..

Scrub = someone with more gaming mentality he's taking a shot at your gaming mentality.

also
Wobbles is definitely banned. I almost lost to some ****ing huge newb at mlg because I missed 3 L cancels and he grabbed and wobbled me all three times.

Anyways ill be attending because I cant let scrubs like cwjalex keep winning these things :).
>_> I mean seriously? how can you not expect him to think that.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Last time I checked we usually split matches unless you count the time I beat you almost every game when you came to my house.
Selective memory much? Also, I didn't say you're bad. I said you act like a scrub.

But seriously chill out, my post wasnt a direct attack it was supposed to be somewhat funny which is why I wrote it was all in good fun because you can't convey tone in text format.
My apologies, but it seemed like you were just attacking me while trying to pretend that you didn't actually mean it.

For the record, suggesting that I am disingenuous or deceptive is most definitely an insult to me, despite what you may think.

I couldnt find one ounce of truth in that statement.
#1 How can you say it in "no way handicaps people who play more than one character"? If someone only played one character they would just choose the stage and play the tournament just like any other. If they played multiple characters they would be faced with the penalty of not being able to choose the stage for wanting to choose that other character if they were to lose a match.
The diverse player has the option of doing the same thing. I don't understand what you're getting at. If we're going to say that "my" system handicaps diverse players, it's utterly stupid to suggest that the current system doesn't favor them.

Say I only play Fox. I lose to a Marth first round and counterpick PS. He switches to Fox. Oops! There goes my counterpick. I see this all the time. In this situation, the other player will be equal or at an advantage no matter what I do. To me, this defeats the purpose of a counterpick.

Also, its not irrelevant because last time I checked this was a message board where you can talk about what you are thinking.
I like pancakes (totally relevant).

But if you want to press the issue it is also relevant because mlg tournaments are the most prestigious tournaments and the setup for their tournament has some validity because of that.
MLG also had Rainbow Cruise on random.

Fox counters marth on 2 stages marth counters him on most. But lets not get into that.
Nope.

This is the new stage list:

* Banned stages (Singles and Teams): Peach's Castle, Onett, Yoshi’s Island, Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flat Zone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom, Mushroom Kingdom II, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Jungle Japes, Green Greens, Pokefloats
* Banned stages (Teams only): Fountain of Dreams
* Banned stages (Singles only): Great Bay

Can everybody agree to this?

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
This is the new stage list:

* Banned stages (Singles and Teams): Peach's Castle, Onett, Yoshi’s Island, Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flat Zone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom, Mushroom Kingdom II, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Jungle Japes, Green Greens, Pokefloats
* Banned stages (Teams only): Fountain of Dreams
* Banned stages (Singles only): Great Bay

Can everybody agree to this?
Im a n00b.

What stages are left / allowed? (Besides the 6 Neutral Stages)

Top Bottom