• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NYC - POLY BRAWL is BACK! - 11/28 - LIVE STREAM!

-dMT-

Smash Lord

Poly Brawl is BACK!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After an incredibly long break, including I hope what was for many of you a wonderful summer vacation, Poly Brawl is back to provide NYC another unforgettable tournament. The details are not as of yet final, and much may change on this thread so I advise all of you follow the updates.

Poly Brawl will be hosted by me (dMT) and my crew, Polytek.

LIVE STREAM

AIB Link: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=7829

I recommend any AiB members click that they are attending this tournament if they plan to, as this will also help spread the word.

CONFIRMED Attendees

Ace Z
ADHD
Akiza
Aljay
Ally
Amun-Ra
Anaki
Anti
Arrancar
Atomsk
Awesum
Best Falcon Alive
BigMPac
blackanese
BShaw
Cable
ChaosMarf
Cheese
CoonTail
Cross
dekillsage
Deven3000
DMT
Doom
Gunblade
GuruKid
GwAllDay
Hellfox
HelpR
hippiedude
inferno3044
Inui
Izumi
J.G WentWorth
JJ Wolf
John12346
Jtails
Kingz
KrayzeeGuy
Limit
Lucarioowl
MBlaze
MechWarrior
MintyFlesh
Mr. Money SoFly
MR809
Muñoz
noni_hedgehog
nuker119
Pentasalia
PGN
Problem
Punishment D
Que
Rated D.R.K
Raze
Red-X
Rien
Shadow111
ShippoFoxFire
smashfox93
Thekatz
TjR!0
TraX
VivaTheSaturn
Wes
WomboWolf
xxpatgxx
YAYCONFORMITY
Zucco

If you're confirmed and not on the list let me know. if you are on the list and are not sure, also let me know lol. Just let me know people!

November 28, 2009

Schedule

10am - Registration for both events
12pm - Doubles
4pm - Singles

Tournament Prices

$10 Venue fee
$10 Singles
$10 Doubles per teammate

Setup Discounts

TV - $5 off venue fee
Wii - $2 off venue fee

NOTE: Discounts apply only if the equipment is used!

Prizes

Up to 40 people...
1st Place - 60%
2nd Place - 30%
3rd Place - 10%

More than 40 people...
1st Place - 60%
2nd Place - 25%
3rd Place - 10%
4th Place - 5%

Doubles will have a similar payout trend adjusted for teams.

Polytechnic Institute of NYU
6 Metrotech Center
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Subway - ( www.hopstop.com is your friend )
A, C, F - Take to Jay St. - Borough Hall and exit onto Jay St. / Myrtle Promenade. You should be right near the front entrance, there's a BIG Red Statue there and the front entrance says NYU:poly.

B, Q - Take to De Kalb Ave. Once you get off, transfer to the R, M train headed uptown toward Manhattan. Take it one short stop to Lawrence St... (refer to R, M directions...)

R, M - Take to Lawrence St. and take an exit around the mid area of the platform. Head up to Jay St., the busiest street in the area, hard to miss it. Head in the direction away from Fulton St., and towards City Tech / Marriot. Once you see the BIG Red Statue, head there and you should see the entrance to NYU: Poly.

2 ,3 ,4 , 5 - Take to Borough Hall. Walk towards Jay St. Similar to the directions for R, M trains, but you will be across the street on the other side of Jay. St. Look for the BIG Red Statue and head towards it and enter NYU:poly.

Cell Phone: (718) - 795 - 6223 - Call for any trouble with directions on the day of the event

INFORMATION

RULE SET

Singles

• 3 Stock
  • 8 Minute Time Limit
  • No Items
  • No stalling or running away to purposely run out the time limit (running out minimal time is one thing, multiple minutes is just ridiculous)
  • 50 Ledge grab rule will be enforced. If any player grabs the edge more than 50 times in a game, that player will be considered the loser of the game.
  • If you need to add your name to change your controls, please remember to do so, and do it quickly. You cannot quit in the middle of a match if you realize your controls are wrong.
  • First round consists of all characters being chosen by a blind pick. The first stage will then be determined by a stage strike method. Players take turn striking out neutral stages until only one stage remains, which is the stage that is played. After the first match is over, each player bans one stage that cannot be used in counter picks.
  • Match two/three will first consist of the previous loser picking a stage, then the previous winner picking their character, and finally the previous loser picking their character.
  • You may not counter pick a stage you have already won on earlier that set.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):

1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
  2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
  3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counter picks of the set
  4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
  5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
  6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character**
  7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
  8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
* Double blind character selection may be called for the first match
** If the loser of the previous match chooses to use random pick for the stage, the winner cannot change character

Neutral Stages: - each player can strike one stage and remaining stage is played

• Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Yoshi's Island (SSBB)

Counterpick Stages:

• Delfino Plaza
  • Castle Siege
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Battleship Halberd
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Brinstar
  • Pokemon Stadium(Melee)

1. Any Standing and Small Step Infinite is BANNED .
  2. If there is a dispute over controller ports, play Rock Paper Scissors for it ( if you guys cannot do this I will flip a coin)
  3. Suicide Move Rules: (all situations are when both players are at 1 stock)
  4. If a player successfully ends the match with either Bowser or Ganondorf's over B attack by suicide, then the player who initiated the move wins.
  5. If a player ends the match by swallowing with Kirby or DDD and falling off the stage and the game counts it as a tie, the player who initiated the swallow move wins. If the player who was swallowed is shown as winning the match (in the instance the broke out right before they died which some people might not notice), then they win.
Doubles

Same standard rules and stages as singles.

Chibo's Color-Blind Rule: If a player on a team is using a character that might make it tough to determine the teams color (like Sonic, Lucario, or Pokemon Trainer), they are allowed to request control of a certain color to help lessen confusion.

• Stock sharing is allowed.
  • Team Attack is on.

Banned Stages:

*Everything Else

Mages Dq Rules :
2 Minutes Late: Warning/Loss of first stock
4 Minutes Late: Loss of first match of set
6 Minutes Late: Loss of set

Violation of any rule is punishable by non-refunded disqualification.

In the event of a TIE at the end of the time limit, the player with the most stocks wins. If both players have one stock then it is decided by percentage. If both players have ONE STOCK and SAME PERCENTAGE the players will quit the SUDDEN DEATH, set the stock to one, and start a match with stage being the same as where they had the tie. This will determine the winner.

Each Round is best of three matches; Grand/Losers/Winners Finals are best of five matches*

Singles seeding will be random with some courtesy to crews – you will be spaced evenly as to prevent playing each other in the first round. One of the two criteria must be fulfilled in ordered to be favored. You MUST have 3 or more people in a group hailing from the same region, or you must be part of a crew. Teams seeding will be done randomly.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Update History:

11.23.2009 - Schedule added.
10.19.2009 - Updated Venue Fee info and Discount info.
10.15.2009 - Suggested date entered to be November 28, 2009.
11.03.2009 - November 28 confirmed, 50 Ledge grab rule added to rule set. Venue Pictures added.

VENUE:

OK guys here are some pictures of the venue:

This is taken right from the entrance to the lounge facing slightly left...

From the entrance again, now more to the right

Taken from the corner opposite of the entance

another angle

★J.G WentWorth★

Smash Champion
These tournaments are alwayss amazing. But Inui's hosting a huge regional in NJ on the 14th. Can you please move this up(or down) by like a week or two? If so I'd definitely come through with my crew and like 4 setups and recording equipment.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Yea. The date is definitely not final. I guess i overlooked Inui's event. My mistake. I'll see what I can do with the Poly people. Thanks for the heads up.

★J.G WentWorth★

Smash Champion
Yea. The date is definitely not final. I guess i overlooked Inui's event. My mistake. I'll see what I can do with the Poly people. Thanks for the heads up.
Yea the 2 big regional sized stuff coming up are Vridian oct 24 and Inui's on Nov 14. If you schedule this around that then your attendance should be greatt. Also don't forget to put it on AiB, i'll help you hype it and stuff. Can't wait for this.

HelpR

Smash Ace
hypehypey mchype hype.

as for tournament dates, as the Poly crew we're trying to figure out which date is best, we're probably gonna do it the week after thanksgiving, or as far forward as the first week of december. only problem is that we wanna try and avoid an overlap with midterms and finals at universities, and dont know if doing it so late as that would pose a problem.

We hope to get another one before the end of the year, but that is still pending.

HelpR

Smash Ace
Venue fees? I've actually spoken to the poly crew about this before, and we're coming up with how we're gonna handle that. we'll get it sorted out, and hopefully, be able to tell you guys soon what the policy is on that

nuker119

Smash Apprentice
yo.. cant have poly brawl without the nuker :D.. you guys gunna get the lounge or the other room? (i forgot the number) just imo, lounge much better for this more room for everything and more places to relax lol.. and finally maybe a gurukid appearance :D.. guru i havent seen you in ages man!!

nuker119

Smash Apprentice
wow.. good find bigm..thats what you get with dmt as a ti i cant wait for this to be back.. so much good times.. but yo that pizza is off limits except for to and polytek crew..

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
lol ill try to go

missed the first 1 :[

I remember when it supposed to be gt then got switched for this venue lol

edit: yeah it was gimped XD

too long ago to remember

nuker119

Smash Apprentice
lol minty.. wasn't that get gimped?.. either way poly is a great place for a tourney.. if it doesnt fail.. like it usually does..(poly bias here)

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
dmt make it earlyier, not after inuis, cuz i rather go to this than inuis...also does anyone wanna team for this? im a great doubles partner at this venue

btw can u make like doubles or venue fee 5$ cuz its extremely expensive.

HelpR

Smash Ace
unfortunately, due to the time it takes to get a room confirmation, we have to reserve far in advance, as well as make sure that all problems are sorted out well ahead of time. we like to get a good month of leeway before even announcing anything, and that's approximately how long it takes to push paperwork through.

universities are good venues though, but the whole paperwork thing isnt really an issue if we think ahead. good to hear from yall, and hope you all do attend.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
5th sounds swell.

yo.. cant have poly brawl without the nuker :D.. you guys gunna get the lounge or the other room? (i forgot the number) just imo, lounge much better for this more room for everything and more places to relax lol.. and finally maybe a gurukid appearance :D.. guru i havent seen you in ages man!!
lol much love for the polytech peeps! :) I'll go just to chill with you guys again; I miss the ol' weekly smashfests you guys used to have.

nuker119

Smash Apprentice
yea the 5th should be a good date.. it easily give you enough time now to get everything straightened out and be able to reserve the lounge for this.. just make sure you go to mary for this and no one else.. send owl.. i would go but unforunately polytek knows why..

ohhh.. and dont forget to set something up for the tvs.. no need to go thru what we went thru last year with them all at the last minute.. it would save a good amount of time and hassle..

5th sounds swell.

lol much love for the polytech peeps! :) I'll go just to chill with you guys again; I miss the ol' weekly smashfests you guys used to have.
yea man.. you need to come thru.. its been too long.. i havent seen you at tourneys or anything.. ya need to show up man.. show off that pk trainer of yours :) lol

Tien2500

Smash Lord
A tournament actually close to me. Neat. Guess it might be time to finally go pro. :) I'll probably get my *** kicked but it'll still be cool to see how I stack up in the competitive scene.

Although I have to say the 26th is a bad pick for the date. I'm assuming the day after Christmas many people may be visiting family/vacationing or what have you.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
If we delay any further than Dec. 5th, classes at Poly end and therefore so do reservations. Beyond Dec. 5th, the tourney would have to be pushed back to the Spring. Nov. 28, the Saturday after Thanksgiving... That's also a possibility.

nuker119

Smash Apprentice
yea thats true.. i completely forgot that poly does that.. and has the finals that early.. ooppss.. time off will do that lol.. hopefully we get a turnout similar to the last one.. that was great

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
wow, I've been out of Brawl for a little too long maybe... wtf is a small step infinite?

Tien2500

Smash Lord
wow, I've been out of Brawl for a little too long maybe... wtf is a small step infinite?
When Dedede cgs Bowser he has to inch forward a tiny bit between each grab. I think the same applies to Squirtle vs Ness and a few others.

Top Bottom