• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NU Smashfest!

metroid1117

Smash Master
Just to be clear, there will be NO CASH INVOLVED IN THIS EVENT. This means there is no entry fee to be paid NOR prizes to be won. Non-NU students may partake in money matches. In addition, this tournament is directed towards attracting new players in the Northwestern community (but anyone is welcome to come!), so the ruleset is not as complex as standard rulesets; the biggest change is that there are no counterpick stages (only neutrals).

*Venue*

Technological Institute (aka Tech)
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208
Room: LR5 (circled on the map below)

The venue is a lecture hall on the property of Northwestern University (NU). Food and drink are allowed in the venue, but smoking and alcohol will not be tolerated inside the venue (smokers will have to step outside). From the outside, Tech is the large grey building with the expansive plaza to the east side of Sheridan. There are tennis courts directly north and west of Tech.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/30/unledfyz.png/

Parking is free on weekends and can be found directly north or west of Tech (the large purple building). Both lots can be found towards the south end of the tennis courts. See the map below for details.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/unled1ky.png/

Food can be found either to the west on Noyes (~10 min on foot) or south into the city on Sheridan. To the south, there are restaurants like Chipotle, Subway, Joy Yee's (you'll want to carry out if you want to eat here), Burger King, and more.

*Transportation*

By train: Take the Red Line to Howard, then transfer to the Purple Line. Get off the Purple Line at Noyes and head east for about 5-10 min, Tech will be the large grey building on your right.

By car: Get on I-94 and take the exits onto either Skokie to the north or Dempster to the south. NU is within a 10-15 min drive from either exit.

*Schedule*

1 PM - 2 PM : Free Play & Registration
2 PM - 4 PM : Doubles
4:30 PM - 6 PM : Singles Pools
6 PM - 7 PM : Dinner Break
7 PM - 11 PM : Singles Bracket

Prices and Payouts

This is a FREE tournament with no entry fee or cash pot. This may be changed in future events. There is also no venue fee, but if not enough setups are brought, this may have to be implemented in future events.

*Ruleset*

* Games will be 4 stock with an 8 minute timer.
* All sets will be best of 3 except for Winners/Losers Semis and Winners/Losers/Grand Finals, which are best of 5.
* Items off.
* Ties are broken by remaining lives, then %. If both criteria are tied, then the match will be replayed.
* Each player/team takes turns striking a stage from the Neutral stages listed below in a 1-2-1 fashion until there is only 1 left. The first game will be played on the remaining stage.
* After their first win, that player may choose to ban a stage for the entirety of the set.
* The loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next game. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourth/fifth when applicable) if there is one. (Advanced Slob Picks)
* A player may not counterpick to the last stage they have won on. (Modified Dave's Stupid Rule)
* Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime before the first game of a set starts, and only apply to the first game.
* Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
* Wobbling is banned

SINGLES

Yoshi's Story
Battlefield
Dream Land (N64)
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams

DOUBLES

Yoshi's Story
Battlefield
Dream Land (N64)
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium

*Note that any stage may be played on given that both parties agree on the selection.*

Setup List

Although there is no venue fee, please bring setups; more setups = more time for friendlies = more fun!

1. metroid
2. Special K
3. Over9000
4. Adam & Kevin

TO Contact Info

Brian, aka metroid - 847-800-1029

Smash Cadet
Looks fun. Depending on what else is going on next weekend, I may show up.

ORLY

Smash Master
"Non-NU students may partake in money matches."

harsh. i'm going to try out my secret weapon at this

metroid1117

Smash Master
Great, I'm glad to see this is getting some attention even though this is basically free play! Please post if you're bringing a setup; I doubt any other NU students will bring them, so it's probably going to be the 4 we have and then any that you guys bring!

ORLY

Smash Master
this is still happening, right? talk about a sleeper tournament

no hype at all!

metroid1117

Smash Master
this is still happening, right? talk about a sleeper tournament

no hype at all!
Yes, this is still happening. I'm disappointed in the lack of hype too, but I guess that's what happens when there's a tourney with no money and DB having a Melee side event. Not to put pressure on you or anything, but which tourney are you going to?

ORLY

Smash Master
Yes, this is still happening. I'm disappointed in the lack of hype too, but I guess that's what happens when there's a tourney with no money and DB having a Melee side event. Not to put pressure on you or anything, but which tourney are you going to?
waaaaaait a ****in' second! DB is having a melee thing? AND street fighter?

sorry metroid but i gotta go to that

nothin' personal

metroid1117

Smash Master
waaaaaait a ****in' second! DB is having a melee thing? AND street fighter?

sorry metroid but i gotta go to that

nothin' personal
Don't worry about it; I knew that there'd be problems hosting this on the same weekend as DB and this tournament was directed towards the NU community in the first place :). We'll try to hold a legit tournament that won't conflict with other events next time.

Smash Cadet
Simple solution to the 'gambling' issue.

Everyone just be a bro' and give who ever is in charge a 'gift'... after which they decide to give 'gifts' to ~3 people (who just happen to have won the free-definitely-not-gambling tournament). :awesome:

metroid1117

Smash Master
Simple solution to the 'gambling' issue.

Everyone just be a bro' and give who ever is in charge a 'gift'... after which they decide to give 'gifts' to ~3 people (who just happen to have won the free-definitely-not-gambling tournament). :awesome:
Lol, that's something to think about. It would make advertising harder though...

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Yea purdue has the same gambling issue. I don't know your exact situation, but we just ignore it. Although it prevents any advertising besides smashboards

:phone:

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
UM doesn't care about the "gambling" issue because I convinced the higher-ups that Smash isn't gambling... which it isn't. Get on my level.

Karibola

Smash Apprentice
Yeah lance, had we just ignored it we would have been fine as the room is secluded, and only people in the tournament came in. It was a fun time, and we'll see how we move forward. Thanks to brian for setting it all up.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Yeah, next time we get one of these together, we'll try to persuade that although Smash is a "game of skill", it shouldn't be counted as gambling. We'll also try to get status as a legit organization on campus so we'll have more advertising available.

If the administration refuses to re-consider Smash as gambling, however, I'd rather not ignore it. Although no one except people participating in the tournament showed up, I won't risk blemishing my academic record for Smash :urg:.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
if you're talking to a higher up about the money element of smash tournaments, i would liken it to a tennis tournament rather than poker since the element of luck is much smaller per instance.

With reasonably accurate seeding i don't think elements luck will ever cause you to lose in the first round of losers in a smash tournament if you're playing good enough to place in the money on that day. Most of the variation in smash tournaments comes from ppl having tough brackets or variations in how well you're playing on a given day. Especially since all the stage elements are predictable, and only a few characters even have elements of luck attached to them. (luigi misfires, G&W judgement, turnips, etc.)

meanwhile in poker pros lose early in tournaments all the time because they got sucked out by some noob that didn't fold even when their pot odds were all wrong the entire hand. you will win in the long run by making the right plays, so it is still a game of skill, but luck plays a big part in each individual instance.

edit: find out if there's ever been a basketball or tennis tournament with entry fees and prizes at NU. if so, i don't think anyone can make a logical argument that smash isn't also in the clear.

kevo

Smash Journeyman
We have the same issue at Minnesota as well, I've run a tournament on campus 2 or 3 years ago. It's not the issue of Melee being a "game of skill", it's that it's a paying competition, hence gambling (craps and poker aren't "luck" either, but it's still gambling). Apparently, competitions which give out prizes held on campus (technically government sponsored venue) must get clearance from the state's board of gaming. We literally just ignore the crap out of it. Don't try to talk the administration into it; you'll just open a can of worms and end up with them prodding you closely whenever you run events. Advertise on Smashboards and by word of mouth. Trust me, people who want to play in a paid tournament will find out.

Top Bottom