• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Boost: REBOOT - Sunday, the 11th of September 2011

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
HAIYPE! O:

Shaya, a few things:

Firstly, what's the word on friendlies? When can/can't we have them, will there be time for any at all, etc etc?

Second, the first post mentions that we can't enter the building without you letting us in. How will that work? Same as at your place, maybe?

Also, may I suggest linking this page in the first post? It's a bus timetable for buses going between UNSW and other transport interchanges (Central station, etc). That might be useful to some people like me who're coming by public transport.

Thanks.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
e_alert:

No friendlies are planned, don't even dare have them I will disqualify anyone taking TVs during tournament times for playing friendlies. During the lunch break there should be time for friendlies. However, if time is tight, lunch break will be mingled within some tournament rounds that can be played, so as I say, don't plan to play friendlies.

While I'm setting up and everything no one except those with TVs and Wiis (as required though, we'll set up TVs first) will be let in. Everyone else will be sitting outside under the shade, cold, etc. Once everythings ready we're hoping to let mostly everyone in at the same time to avoid constant coming backwards and forwards. It's important mostly everyone competing is there around 9:00.

People with TV's I'd appreciate much if you arrived at least 15 minutes before 9 :)

Added to the front page.

You're welcome.

Jaz

Smash Ace
Ah sorry to tell you guys but the hornsby trip has been changed to sunday...

so i can't make the tourny at all ._______.
i would have loved to come to try my sonic out but ah well next time!

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Jaz - bah, that sucks man. First Bjay, now you. I was hoping to play you sometime, as xeno and meteor were telling me about your Kirby; looks like that's being put off even longer now. (Although it looks like there won't be any friendlies anyways...) Ah well, maybe next time, eh?

Shaya - good stuff, in that case I'll probably turn up sometime between 8:30 and 9 depending on buses. Sucks about the friendlies, but you gotta do what you gotta do; no harm. Thanks for linking that on the front, too, hopefully it helps some people.

unreon

Smash Ace
Where is the seminar room exactly? I know as far as the Coffee on Campus, and I had a tute once in the room down the giant stairs you see from giant windows.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The K17 building which on the 'right' (or located in the middle) of the mech eng and k17 has one entry point which will be lockedddddddddddddd, but I can let you in.

Pretty much the seminar room is hard to miss, it's on the 1st floor (i.e you enter from the ground floor), and it's the only thing on the first floor that will have open doors :D

I'm picking up the keys for the venue today. So I'll be popping by uni at 1pm briefly then running off.

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
Some possible **** news from Shaya, who is currently at work but will be around himself later to post about this...pretty much, when he applied to use the room, he was given the ok to have non-unsw students in the building... Apparentlty though, upon being handed the keys by the big boss in charge he was told that non-unsw students are not permitted... Shaya is going to send some emails out tonight to find out what the deal is... so keep posted for that.

As for what happens if he gets denied: First of all, for those who say we can just sneak in...well I dont think its fair for Shaya to risk that, as he is the one in charge, and getting caught from something like this could have a negative impact on his Education, so imo its something thats out of the question.

A more real option could be booking the roundhouse...but that costs $220, so that means we would have to have more then 22 people coming (at ten dollars a head) with no chance to win any prizes at all...assuming we can book it in such short notice.

Its either that or I think this tourney has to be canceled...Which sucks...

Stay turned to see what happens...

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
. . . . . . .

=(

All this hype for it to be *potentially* canceled. . . that sucks.

Ahh well. Lets just see what happens then.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah, I'm pretty broken.

The story is brief and as follows:
I was running around UNSW under the search of being able find a place to run a smash bros tournament.
By chance I ran into a guy, who's the head (Chairman) of my faculty's Student Society. I told him what I wanted to do, and he said to email THE BIG BOSS.

I emailed the BIG BOSS, who told me to email the chairman (the guy who told me to email BIG BOSS). I told him BIG BOSS told me to email him, as he needs to agree to it. He told me "yeah sure, just tell me what the event is, who's it targetted at/etc". I replied with (to the target audience question) "high schools to mid 20ers at university/studying, working, etc".

I had no "Well, JP, that probably isn't going to work" at this time. Things went smoothly from there, and the issue of charging money for the event was cleared a couple of days later as well. Yesterday I emailed BIG BOSS 2 (the nice one who tells me to ask BIG BOSS any questions) asking about picking up the keys and said sure, come today. I came today and she told me BIG BOSS has the keys.

I talked to BIG BOSS as he gave me the key to the specific ROOM the tournament is hosted in, but I questioned whether the key would actually let me into the K17 building. He said he wasn't sure. He asked me who was coming, as certain students always have access... I said myself, a couple of CSE students (only aware of 1st years), friends of friends - this is where he stops me to question the friends of friends. He then tells me that he wasn't informed that non-CSE students would be attending the event, continuing with a *sigh* he said that if Security were to ask anyone there "oi, who are you, what are you doing here, present your card" - well, "I don't have one" "Who let you in?" "That KID" "Oh yeah... sorry boys, tournaments over". (MAYBE?)

I don't know, it's hard for me to ascertain whether this could actually happen. I.e. if everyone is INSIDE the seminar room, not running around (like I said you guys couldn't) and security come into the room and start harrassing everyone... Yeah. I just sent an email off to the CHAIRMAN, and hopefully he can give me some info about the ambiguity of the problems.... before it's too late.

Anyway, I'm going to have dinner, I'll keep you guys informed.

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully it'll be ok if we all stick to the designated room. I mean it's not like we'll have free time anyway. Ahh well, I'll keep checking to see what happens.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Things are looking good.

As of now, there's a good chance the tournament is still on.

Fears of me perhaps losing my ability to go to university and those types of things have all but been cleared. Which yes, selfishly, is the biggest issue.

Also UNSW student? good. Bring your card. Doesn't matter you're not from my faculty (CSE). The only potential issue is people without cards may be asked to leave the premises. But I hear it's a rarity and an extreme, and I'm pretty sure I can't take the heat for it.

The final query is whether if you're inside the building without a card will I get in trouble. Yet to find out. If I'm clear for having you inside the building then all is clear. Just don't wander, don't be idiots (i.e. don't invite your ****ing idiot friends) and all should be okay.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
wait so the big boss or whatever say's its cool but security can still kick us out, I am a security
guard myself and I know that security is contracted to the site (unless they have their own private security)
and are subject to the client's wishes, so if big boss is in charge and says we can be there, then we can be there. ???

Berimbau

Smash Journeyman
um....probably cant come anymore. since finding out it was cancelled ive made other plans, assuming things wouldnt work out for the best :p . so now ive got these other plans, that i cant really cancel last minute

sorry guys! and sorry shaya, down 1 tv :S

The 2t

Smash Apprentice
I get the feeling when you mentioned "friends of friends" that the guy had a picture in his head of 100 uninvited raging teens turning up with a keg each and a desire to trash the place.

Dedu

Smash Lord
Toke toke toke!
Drink the supertube of death! *chasers reference*

Those idiots surely wouldn't go to a video game partay... they'd rather go out to a club or bar and get drunk all nite unless they happen to really enjoy gatecrashing.

SS Ben

Smash Apprentice
So is this tourney cancelled or not? We were planning on our FIRST EVER actual Brawl session aside from unlocking the characters today but if the tournament is off then I guess we'll just play Melee.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I've decided for it to be on.

Anyone who are UNSW Students, I'd really appreciate it if I could find out your informations now. You'll be our personal security for the rest. So yes, you're coming, and you're an UNSW student? TELL ME NOW.

I am available on 0425 290 330. If you arrive early don't bother coming onto the university campus. Just chill out and walk towards the place slowly. If you're going to be late, CALL ME. TRY NOT TO BE LATE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. Anyone bringing TVs needs to call me when they arrive though, please be there around the 8:45 mark if possible.

Bathrooms? Do all your pleasantries before coming. It's really convenient that way. Bathrooms are behind more security doors, so it's problematic for every minute someones saying "i need to go to the bathroom".

Don't be an idiot, just keep cool, play your video games, and pretty much stay inside the seminar room. As long as everyone keeps near wubful UNSW students, everything should be okay.

Dedu

Smash Lord
nani ka?

This is turning out to be almost a chinese communist breeding ground >_>
At least UTS Security had better leniency about what students could do within the grounds of the university.
Oh well no wonder not much happened at UNSW...
They have a tightass security force >_>

hmm...
In that case I'll be bringing my own specialty case of fireworks ready to go off and cause chaos on campus.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Dedu, I am just being over-cautious.

I've got vibes and good feelings security won't be an issue what so ever. I'm just saying it as it is as a very anxious, stressed out boy.

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
cool. I'm not a UNSW student, but I'll still be going. Hope it works out well. Gotta reallllyyyy plan this transport thing tho, wanna make sure I'm on time then.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
im not coming, cause i'd prefer to get drunk tonight and sleep in tomorrow and brawl doesnt excite me much, i love you all just cbfed have fun guys xx

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
aww thats a shame combo, I heard you were really good and I didn't get to vs you at the last tourney I don't think.
anyways shaya I'll hopefully be there early, I'm leaveing Canberra around 4 in the morning so it should be fine.

SS Ben

Smash Apprentice
Okay we seriously rushed this lol.

We thought the tournament was cancelled so we started up playing Melee. A while into it someone checks SmashBoards and finds out it's still on. So then we spend like 20 mins actually looking for the Brawl disc which we haven't seen in like months and finally start playing. Too different to Melee.. I'm still trying to SHFFL aerials and the ledgehop timing feels incredibly wierd. Like in Melee a simple tap is enough to make to drop from the edge but in Brawl they've baby-proofed it so much that you really have to slam down on the Control Stick to actually let go.

Pretty excited for the tourney, see those of you who are still going tommorrow.

Dedu

Smash Lord
I agree.

I really do like the baby-poofing that goes on in Brawl. Ledge drops, easier to reach edge, up b direction is not important.

But go back to Melee and edge guarding/recovering is a whole lot more fun to deal with! The more riskier it is, the more fun it actually is to get someone offstage.

Except for Marth's gay sword. hmm....

Top Bottom