• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nova Scotia Thread

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
A game's measure of competitive viability is determined primarily by the amount of depth at the highest level.

At Brawl's highest level, the depth is "Pick MK, or someone who barely competes with him."

With MK gone, the list of viable characters largely increases, because having more viable characters means there are more matchups that matter, which means there is more depth.

Croi

Smash Lord
With MK gone, Marth becomes S tier.

That's what you really want, isn't it? Don't lie.

EDIT: Nick, I would prefer that you use the term "sexually challenged" instead.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
EDIT: Nick, I would prefer that you use the term "sexually challenged" instead.
I will remember that and abuse it.

Edit:
A game's measure of competitive viability is determined primarily by the amount of depth at the highest level.

At Brawl's highest level, the depth is "Pick MK, or someone who barely competes with him."

With MK gone, the list of viable characters largely increases, because having more viable characters means there are more matchups that matter, which means there is more depth.
Humour me when I say "Why does depth matter?"

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
With MK gone, Marth is still -1 with Diddy and Dedede, and even with Falco, ICs, DK, ROB, Wolf, and apparently Pikachu (according to a certain Floridian rodent)

I'll humour you, Nick.

Depth makes a game BETTER. It makes it last LONGER. It makes the game require more skill to play, there is more to learn, more to do, more skill involved, more competition. The list goes on.

That's the main reason I recommend large stage lists. Depth.

swordgard

Smash Hero
With MK gone, Marth is still -1 with Diddy and Dedede, and even with Falco, ICs, DK, ROB, Wolf, and apparently Pikachu (according to a certain Floridian rodent)

I'll humour you, Nick.

Depth makes a game BETTER. It makes it last LONGER. It makes the game require more skill to play, there is more to learn, more to do, more skill involved, more competition. The list goes on.

That's the main reason I recommend large stage lists. Depth.
He also loses on multiple stages, and apparently according to meep and neo ics beats marth.

Every char has a counter without MK.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'd agree to ICs beating Marth on a small starter stage list, or under any situation where ICs can go to both SV and BF or PS1.

If the starter is fair, it's even. Most starter systems are heavily lopsided towards ICs though.

Pey

Smash Apprentice
After the second melee tourney I went to. I got second, only losing to the guy from NFLD. It wasn't official or anything, cause there was no power rankings, but whatever.
yeah, good job on those. I have them taped if you want em. I never watch em (hate seeing myself lose).

Spaceman_Spiff

Smash Cadet
looking for technical depth and arguing against melee.
Not at any point did I say technical depth.

Two very different things.
You're missing the part were the technical depth adds option, aka depth.

Take for example, washdash OoS; it's not the fact that it's technically challenging, just that it adds an option when you're stuck in your shield.

I'm not arguing melee above brawl, just that you're wrong in suggesting technical depth doesn't convert in part to, "real depth" (meaning the other of those "two very different things" you were referring to).

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm aware that technical depth also adds plenty of depth, but I was correcting Parker in that it's not what I was arguing. My initial argument for depth refers to competitive/strategic depth, rather than depth provided by control options. (technical depth) Both add depth, but I was referring to removing MK adding strategic depth, because of how many additional characters become much more viable.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I have to judge you though, cause I'm pretty sure nobody said "scents". And they're not all pronounced identically anyways, so it's not like there, their and they're.

:248:

Pey

Smash Apprentice
Your two cents?

Hmmm... Weren't those uploaded somewhere?
EDIT:I would like to have them though.
you have a good memory. yeah those were uploaded but there were a few i didn't upload. if you want em i will mail or give them to you next time i see you.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
We should do a tournament this month, instead of that Ontario trip which is pretty much not happening at this point.

:248:

Top Bottom