• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nova Scotia Thread

swordgard

Smash Hero
I had a pretty weird dream today.

I was supposed to go check out an university in nova scotia because I wanted to go to a new one, and my bro had gone there and was now living there. My mom told me shed drive me but she would take another car to go back, so I'd have to drive back. Of course, as we arrived near the N-S island, there was an antique castle and I wondered whether the university was in a castle like this(legit question amirite). My mom told this was indeed the case, so we drove a bit more until we arrived at a similar castle, and she dropped me off over there and left the car inside a garage at the uni for me to pick up when I left. At that point, I knew raziek wanted me to stay over in NS so we could play brawl together and I could show him how the rest of canada plays.

Having a cold when I arrived, the people from NS wanted to show me what their doctors from the health department of the uni could do to help me, apparently being world reknown. So i got in there and met 2 doctors, a man and a women whom I believe were a couple, can't really recalled. They examined me, then asked a younger asian nurse to go get some medicine which was in a needle, and she injected it to me. I was instantly cured, and a few moments later she was gone. A few moments later, the two doctors started criticizing her for her poor work, and asked me what if I thought she was smart iirc. I told them well shes obviously not as qualified as they are, and then before I could finish my sentence they said "yeah shes kinda ********, we should fire her". In my mind I was like wtf, then they both left to another room and I could hear them complaining about her to raziek(lol@guestappearance). They reached the conclusion that the best thing to do was to dispose of her(as in killing her). I entered the room and started telling them they were awful people, started telling them that they had a god complex and I told raziek I was sorry but I would not be staying in NS even though I had planned otherwise because of how the people acted over there. Then I immediately left and went to find my brother(also in the uni at that point), told him I did not understand his choice to live in such a place where people were such *******s(apparently the whole killing thing wasn't that much of a deal, just being mean to a random girl was). I then proceeded to go outside, try and call my mom twice but fail at entering the phone numbers, then opened the garage, got in the car, started to type the number for the third time when I saw Raziek and my bro coming out of the door at me from both sides of the car. Thats when I understood they were there to get me, so I tried to locked the doors but have the cellphone in one hand failed and they started to open the doors and I woke up.

I have learned 3 things from this (legitimately accurate) dream:

A)Nova scotian universities are castle.
B) People from NS are *******s, no exceptions.
C) NS people are out to get me.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Still trying to figure out why I actually had that dream. We tend to dream about things we heard/talked of/seen recently, I can't make out how my mind reached NS though.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Also, our universities are most certainly not castles, lmao.

Just look up a campus view of Acadia, Dalhousie, Saint Mary's, or St. FX

swordgard

Smash Hero
Its weird how things can make sense in a dream, then thinking about it later on your like how the **** did I believe that was possible.

swordgard

Smash Hero
You only decided to disprove my claim about NS universities not being castle. Someone clearly agreed with the other 2 premises.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I cannot reliably prove or disprove either of those claims, as they are both generalizations.

However, the third is extremely unlikely.

The second one is more possible, though still unlikely. xD

saisei

Smash Rookie
Raziek: One really isn;t much better than the other. Brawl is worse, but don't act like melee is balanced lmao. There's 7 viable characters, TOPS. Brawl has more along the lines of 10 or 11 if you're looking at results.

Melee has 26 characters, Brawl has 35. When taking those as percentages, you're looking at roughly the same percentage of characters are viable. (7/26=27%, 10/35=28%) Just making a point, I personally have never tried Brawl for more than a couple matches. Something I'm considering, however!

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
See, the problem is, they have around the same PERCENTAGE of viable characters, but MK alone takes up 40+% of all tournament winnings.

If you want to look seriously at how many characters are viable in Brawl (ie: Used widespread at a competitive level), it's closer to 4 or 5. MK, Snake, Diddy, Falco, ICs, and maybe Wario or Olimar.

There just happen to be a few players who knock everyone's socks off with their respective characters, which lends to the illusion of a more balanced game. Just like how Taj placed well with Mewtwo, it didn't really make him a good character.

billybeegood

Smash Apprentice
Raziek does not hate the character, he hates the threat to competitive brawl that he is. Nuances.
Brawl is the biggest threat to competitive brawl, you can blame the community for not making progress. but the communities attitude and numbers is a physical representation of people not caring about a game that simply does not provide.

if mk was removed. it wouldn't make the game more fun, in turn it would not strengthen the community.

mk isn't the problem for competitive brawl

EDIT: a community can exist without competitive brawl, albeit not as strong. competitive brawl cannot exist without a community.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
if mk was removed. it wouldn't make the game more fun, in turn it would not strengthen the community.

mk isn't the problem for competitive brawl
HAH.

HAHAHAHAH.

MK is most CERTAINLY the problem. He is what makes this game unbalanced. You're delusional if you don't think the game would improve with him gone.

And Swordgard is right. I don't hate MK as a character in the Kirby Series. I hate MK as an unbalanced character in the Smash series.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
No Pound for me.

And I really don't think MK is the problem. He's just an easy scapegoat.

He does unbalance the game, but it's not like people are leaving the community because "mk is cancer". If MK wasn't here, people would find other 'legitimate' reasons to leave the community. "(gay technique) is (slightly-less-bad-than-cancer metaphor for 'bad')"

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
i placed 9th in an ottawa tourney this past weekend. the top 3 was all montreal.... lol.
i did better than i expected, i havne't really been playing brawl except the occasional wifi with lamb so 9th isn't too bad at all.

also nick, billybegood. i had fun playing u guys on wifi, but after the 10th loss in a row in teams it gets kinda boring especially if you never swap characters. i know you two are prolly havin fun cuz you consistently win, but for me if im not winning i'd at least like the chance to play your secondaries or something. /wifi johns

swordgard

Smash Hero
No Pound for me.

And I really don't think MK is the problem. He's just an easy scapegoat.

He does unbalance the game, but it's not like people are leaving the community because "mk is cancer". If MK wasn't here, people would find other 'legitimate' reasons to leave the community. "(gay technique) is (slightly-less-bad-than-cancer metaphor for 'bad')"
Except there have been people who quit because MK was unbalanced, and you have no proof of the second case. All theorycrafting. No other technique even slightly compares to MK. Bring me one technique that gives a character only positive matchups on every stage in the game that is not only applicable to MK, then I might aknowledge your point. Until then, your theory based supposition will remain only that.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
Except there have been people who quit because MK was unbalanced, and you have no proof of the second case. All theorycrafting. No other technique even slightly compares to MK. Bring me one technique that gives a character only positive matchups on every stage in the game that is not only applicable to MK, then I might aknowledge your point. Until then, your theory based supposition will remain only that.
Ok, I worded that wrong. I should have said "I really don't think MK is the big problem people are making him out to be."

We've had several players leave our scene because of "gay techniques".
The claim was "...Until infinite or infinite chain grabs are banned (meaning when cheap tactics and gayness is banned) we won't be going to the competitions..."

i placed 9th in an ottawa tourney this past weekend. the top 3 was all montreal.... lol.
i did better than i expected, i havne't really been playing brawl except the occasional wifi with lamb so 9th isn't too bad at all.

also nick, billybegood. i had fun playing u guys on wifi, but after the 10th loss in a row in teams it gets kinda boring especially if you never swap characters. i know you two are prolly havin fun cuz you consistently win, but for me if im not winning i'd at least like the chance to play your secondaries or something. /wifi johns
Good job with the placing (y)

Yes, we probably should have switched up. We were practising our main team, but you're right, should have gone secondaries/randoms. Next time though, get your *** on pspskype, haha. When me and parker are in dubs we're always on skype.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Ok, I worded that wrong. I should have said "I really don't think MK is the big problem people are making him out to be."

We've had several players leave our scene because of "gay techniques".
The claim was "...Until infinite or infinite chain grabs are banned (meaning when cheap tactics and gayness is banned) we won't be going to the competitions..."

Good job with the placing (y)

Yes, we probably should have switched up. We were practising our main team, but you're right, should have gone secondaries/randoms. Next time though, get your *** on pspskype, haha. When me and parker are in dubs we're always on skype.

The difference is the people you are talking about are scrubs(sirlin definition). I could not care less in the world if people quit because they thought X technique was simply gay, they probably would never be able to properly justify it. On the other hand, MK has been since 6 months after Brawl's beginning, an issue. He has always been borderline on the ban issue, and it has become even more controversial ever since the introduction of planking. If you leave because you find something gay, then imo the community is better off without you since people like you prevent the metagame from developping. If you leave because MK is overly dominant, at least you can justify it properly since after 2 years, there has been no counters found to "restricted MK", much less to unrestricted(with planking) and 0 restriction(IDC) MK. At least, there is a reasonning behind leaving because of MK since it comes down to playing MK or being at a fairly big disadvantage.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
no items
fox only
final destination

also nick i'll keep that in mind. skype is more of a novelty to me that i'm sure i'll forget about if not for finding some niche for it.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
no items
fox only
final destination

also nick i'll keep that in mind. skype is more of a novelty to me that i'm sure i'll forget about if not for finding some niche for it.
M'kay, I'll be sure to remind you about it.

The difference is the people you are talking about are scrubs(sirlin definition). I could not care less in the world if people quit because they thought X technique was simply gay, they probably would never be able to properly justify it. On the other hand, MK has been since 6 months after Brawl's beginning, an issue. He has always been borderline on the ban issue, and it has become even more controversial ever since the introduction of planking. If you leave because you find something gay, then imo the community is better off without you since people like you prevent the metagame from developping. If you leave because MK is overly dominant, at least you can justify it properly since after 2 years, there has been no counters found to "restricted MK", much less to unrestricted(with planking) and 0 restriction(IDC) MK. At least, there is a reasonning behind leaving because of MK since it comes down to playing MK or being at a fairly big disadvantage.
Only argument I can make:

And what's wrong with using mk to win? Because the game becomes stale and no longer fun? So quit? That's the same reason the scrubs left. Because it was no longer fun. You're just placing your cut-off point of "fun" lower than the scrubs. (no offence to the scrubs, I'm just going by that definition cause it's easier than finding another name.)

swordgard

Smash Hero
M'kay, I'll be sure to remind you about it.

Only argument I can make:

And what's wrong with using mk to win? Because the game becomes stale and no longer fun? So quit? That's the same reason the scrubs left. Because it was no longer fun. You're just placing your cut-off point of "fun" lower than the scrubs. (no offence to the scrubs, I'm just going by that definition cause it's easier than finding another name.)
Nope. Because the game is more competitive without metaknight than with metaknight, since the amount of options as characters increase a LOT without him.

edit: Lythium indeed I could. But that does not make the whole game trash, it just means there is an element that needs to be fixed.

Croi

Smash Lord
i find all these inappropriate uses of the slang term "gay" to be very juvenile and offensive please cease and desist immediately

image macro for seriousness

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
Nope. Because the game is more competitive without metaknight than with metaknight, since the amount of options as characters increase a LOT without him.
But that is... Define "competitive". Do you mean that it makes the game more tournament-viable because more people would show up?

EDIT: Or am I just assuming things?

i find all these inappropriate uses of the slang term "gay" to be very juvenile and offensive please cease and desist immediately

image macro for seriousness
Can I use the term "homosexual" instead?

Doubles Edit)

edit: Lythium indeed I could. But that does not make the whole game trash, it just means there is an element that needs to be fixed.
Agreed

Top Bottom