• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nova Scotia Thread

billybeegood

Smash Apprentice
this reminds me of another situation we had last septmber, where some people were dissatified with a certain tactic seeing as it was hard to beat. our community looked like garbage after we decided to alleviate that tactic for a period of time.

and having mk practice is a worse problem than leaving the scene with no mk practice and getting ***** by even the weakest mk because we too bad at the matchup :p

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
this reminds me of another situation we had last septmber, where some people were dissatified with a certain tactic seeing as it was hard to beat. our community looked like garbage after we decided to alleviate that tactic for a period of time.

and having mk practice is a worse problem than leaving the scene with no mk practice and getting ***** by even the weakest mk because we too bad at the matchup :p
The difference being, as I've explained several times, is that we KNEW banning the ICs infinites was scrubby, but we did it anyway because our scene was facing losing quite a few players otherwise. I wouldn't have advocated banning them if we had a larger scene that could sustain itself without those players.

Furthermore, what is the problem really? Unless someone actually picks up MK and MAINS him, nobody is really getting any practice anyway, because scrubby MKs are completely different than MKs who actually know how to play.

Who's to say he might not be banned by then? Or, if that isn't the case, it's not like we can't get practice on wifi. If we make him legal around here just for "experience", the only way we'd get that experience is if someone brings all the major problems I already outlined: Planking, scrooging, timeouts, etc.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
there's really no point in arguing anymore, he's only not being banned at Hellasmashed because it's too short notice. After this, he'll pretty much be gone.

I'm assuming this decision is final, you're wasting your time pushing the issue if it's already set in stone.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
there's really no point in arguing anymore, he's only not being banned at Hellasmashed because it's too short notice. After this, he'll pretty much be gone.

I'm assuming this decision is final, you're wasting your time pushing the issue if it's already set in stone.
The short notice thing is pretty preposterous, considering the poll where we all voted to ban him was made FOR Hellasmashed, and the majority of us expected him to be banned anyway.

billybeegood

Smash Apprentice
"The difference being, as I've explained several times, is that we KNEW banning the ICs infinites was scrubby, but we did it anyway because our scene was facing losing quite a few players otherwise. I wouldn't have advocated banning them if we had a larger scene that could sustain itself without those players."

I believe that this needs review (this is one of your posts during kailins rant on ICs)

"As much as it disappoints me, infinites mean Parker beats me unless he chokes, I get lucky, or I CP Brinstar and force him to change characters. The fact of the matter is, with them involved, it makes it so much more difficult to win. That being said, their difficulty is not the sole factor.

One thing I will agree with is that it does take a lot of fun out of the game. I could fight Colin for hours and lose, and I would be ok with that, because he plays in a way that means I can learn from my mistakes.

With Parker, it becomes a case of, "If I get grabbed, I lose a stock." This is quite different, since you aren't really given a chance to learn from it. All you get is, "****, don't get grabbed."

Also, Camden. If I tell Parker, "Go Snake." He would go, "No u." Unless we're on Halberd, which he probably CP'd. This is because his Snake has a losing record to my Marth. (This is not to say he cannot win, but IC's + Infinites make it much more likely)."

So they were banned because infinites made me more likely to win?
So mk is being banned because I'm more likely to win? seeing as they arent being banned for planking scrooging etc
mk wont start it because...,lets use this anology, russia wont nuke USA cause they can nuke back, and it would turn out horrible for both parties

EDIT:"The short notice thing is pretty preposterous, considering the poll where we all voted to ban him was made FOR Hellasmashed, and the majority of us expected him to be banned anyway."

dad: if you wash the car i'll give you a dime if it's spotless
kid: alright
*comes back later
kid: done, I want my money
dad: you missed a spot
Kid: wAAAH

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
hey i wont lie, i was surprised when MK wasnt banned. but regardless of whether or not he is banned, the same people will show up. maybe the majority wasnt enough, or maybe the majority WAS enough but they found out too late, i dont know. but the decision is final.

i wont even deny it, it comes off as a slap in the face, but even if the decision is controversial, it is final. save the ranting for after, when you can guarantee MK's ban

better yet, wait for the rules to be posted for Hellasmashed first :)

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
"The difference being, as I've explained several times, is that we KNEW banning the ICs infinites was scrubby, but we did it anyway because our scene was facing losing quite a few players otherwise. I wouldn't have advocated banning them if we had a larger scene that could sustain itself without those players."

I believe that this needs review (this is one of your posts during kailins rant on ICs)

"As much as it disappoints me, infinites mean Parker beats me unless he chokes, I get lucky, or I CP Brinstar and force him to change characters. The fact of the matter is, with them involved, it makes it so much more difficult to win. That being said, their difficulty is not the sole factor.

One thing I will agree with is that it does take a lot of fun out of the game. I could fight Colin for hours and lose, and I would be ok with that, because he plays in a way that means I can learn from my mistakes.

With Parker, it becomes a case of, "If I get grabbed, I lose a stock." This is quite different, since you aren't really given a chance to learn from it. All you get is, "****, don't get grabbed."

Also, Camden. If I tell Parker, "Go Snake." He would go, "No u." Unless we're on Halberd, which he probably CP'd. This is because his Snake has a losing record to my Marth. (This is not to say he cannot win, but IC's + Infinites make it much more likely)."

So they were banned because infinites made me more likely to win?
So mk is being banned because I'm more likely to win? seeing as they arent being banned for planking scrooging etc
mk wont start it because...,lets use this anology, russia wont nuke USA cause they can nuke back, and it would turn out horrible for both parties

EDIT:"The short notice thing is pretty preposterous, considering the poll where we all voted to ban him was made FOR Hellasmashed, and the majority of us expected him to be banned anyway."

dad: if you wash the car i'll give you a dime if it's spotless
kid: alright
*comes back later
kid: done, I want my money
dad: you missed a spot
Kid: wAAAH
I'm well aware that I said that, and it WAS scrubby of me at the time. I admit completely that that was a scrubby decision. I also find the "Losing record against Marth" thing funny in hindsight. xD At the time it was true. T_T

Also, Parker, your USA/Russia analogy doesn't work, because you DID do those things, and I DID try to do them back, but I wasn't willing to stoop all the way to maining him myself and causing the problem, so I dropped that course of action.

Also, your last analogy doesn't work at all.

A more accurate one would be,

Dad: If you do your homework, I won't make you mow the lawn today.
Kid: *does homework*
Dad: TOO BAD, MOW IT ANYWAY.

There was absolutely no point in the poll if the results aren't going to be considered. Nevermind the fact that the majority of the votes were in on..... around August 3rd, which is 18 days prior to the tournament. MORE than enough time.

billybeegood

Smash Apprentice
"Also, Parker, your USA/Russia analogy doesn't work, because you DID do those things, and I DID try to do them back, but I wasn't willing to stoop all the way to maining him myself and causing the problem, so I dropped that course of action."

I....spammed nado...and abused stages that are impossible NOT to abuse as mk.. seeing as mk was made for brinstar lol
k, that is a solid arguement *holds back laughter

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace

Why would we sit around and suffer the small problems, when nothing else could possibly happen except moving on to the WORSE problems? It's not like if people pick up MK around here, they'll all be honorable and not use tornado, plank, scrooge or timeout, especially not if they're like you! It can only get WORSE if he stays, so why would we leave him legal?
That's a pretty pessimistic view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9K4BKkLaCI

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
"Also, Parker, your USA/Russia analogy doesn't work, because you DID do those things, and I DID try to do them back, but I wasn't willing to stoop all the way to maining him myself and causing the problem, so I dropped that course of action."

I....spammed nado...and abused stages that are impossible NOT to abuse as mk.. seeing as mk was made for brinstar lol
k, that is a solid arguement *holds back laughter
If I HAD continued to pick up MK, you would have moved on to those things in due process. It would have become an arms race for who can play the gayest.

billybeegood

Smash Apprentice
"If I HAD continued to pick up MK, you would have moved on to those things in due process. It would have become an arms race for who can play the gayest."

you mean it would be a race to learn the ditto, it's pretty hard to gay hardcore in mk dittos

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
Okay, guys... let me remind you of something... keeping in mind that, yes, I do want MK banned... but I'm going to remain unbiased for this post...

FROM THE HELLASMASHED IV POLL TOPIC...

Justin MacPherson Wiles said:
So it's time to help you help us figure out what we're gonna do for HellaSmashed IV. Please note that this will not decide anything directly, we're gathering data that will help us shape our ruleset! Please answer the questions in as few or as many words as you like...
People kept asking, "why are you asking about -X-?" and I would say, "we're just gathering data", and people found that to be acceptable. Why is the decision about MK such a surprise? How is it a slap in the face? I want to remind everyone that we PROMISED NOTHING!!!

But everyone has to understand that we're not trying to pull some crazy illuminati **** on you... you seem to think we've got some crazy back-room **** going on. Well, we don't, and we never have. Do you know what we get to do? Call venues. Print posters. Post posters. Try to run a tournament in a timely fashion. If we're lucky, we get to play the game without being too distracted. We have to get gear together, clean up after everyone leaves... Does this sound like a cakewalk to you? Does it sound like a powertrip? Get a grip.

You want transparency, here: Paul and I discussed it and we thought that it was too soon to ban MK because the BBR has not released an actual statement. We didn't want to go ahead unless... A: 100% of our community was on board, as to avoid message board battles like this one, or B: We had the backing of the majority, AKA, the BBR, so that we could fall back on "this is the standard" if anyone had any problems. Neither of those things have happened.

I'll let you in on something else... we're going with a larger stage list, but not because of the poll. No, it's because of the new BBR recommended ruleset, which we like, and because we see that it's approved by actual players, and not some crazy guy from Germany who's never been to a tournament and has no social skills. I don't mean to say that we can't make decisions on our own, but I have ALL WAYS paid very close attention to what goes on here at SmashBoards to lead our community, BECAUSE I take it very seriously, and I want other people to take us seriously, even if we are in Nova Scotia.

So in closing, I think the TO's are going to have a little meeting, and we are going to let you know EXACTLY what we talk about because we are nice guys and we like you (all of you), and we will release the ruleset, and that will be that... All I will apologize for is not getting the ruleset out sooner to you guys so you know what to expect, that's our bad... but we stand by our decisions.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
re: polls
they are just a way of finding out people's opinions. implied or not, poll results do not mean jack.

jordan - you should read over your posts because you are coming off as a bit hostile. i wouldn't be surprised if paul didn't let you enter the next tourney because you called him deaf and blind.

on a respect level, no class.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm well aware that I came off as hostile at the time. I WAS mad. It was disrespectful and I apologize, but what I received was more of a "NO u", rather than Justin's Diplomatic, tactful post. Paul refused to even discuss it or explain it, and dismissed our concern as "The community's dumb thoughts".

So I may not have been classy, but neither was he, and I feel entirely justified in my responses.

That said, I eagerly await the results.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
implied or not, poll results do not mean jack.
Well then why have them at all? Obviously the community's opinion doesn't count for anything.

Also I disagree with the notion that our community should be on board 100% with an MK ban in order for us to go through with it. That will never happen. It will never happen in any community because there will always be MK mains or players with pocket MKs who won't want to ban him. And the longer we wait, the more of those there will be.

Like seriously, do I have to pick up MK myself for people to realize he's broken? If I get top 3 going all Ike I could probably wreck everyone if I seriously picked up MK and started to use him to his full potential. No offense, I mean you guys are all great players but you have to understand the point I'm trying to make.

I personally will never do that for pride reasons, but some people just want to win. And when people want to win, they find the easiest way to do so. MK.

:034:

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Not right away obviously, I have no clue how to use MK properly right now. I probably wouldn't even be able to use him too well come HellaSmashed if I started practice now, but give it a few months of solid practice and I'd know what moves to use in different situations. I've learned a lot about different MUs and reading/baiting/punishing from playing Ike, and since it's ridiculously easy to bait and punish with MK, it would easily compliment the skills I've already developed.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I'm just gonna say that despite my general position of wanting MK banned, I don't really care too much for this tournament because I'm teaming with someone who seconds MK, and Ike + MK is a better team than Ike + Wario. CP Delfino all day.

KillLock

Smash Lord
man im just chillin like a villain

:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:

besides i just moved to a new house so im tired ***

teenwolftoo

Smash Cadet
I'm well aware that I came off as hostile at the time. I WAS mad. It was disrespectful and I apologize, but what I received was more of a "NO u", rather than Justin's Diplomatic, tactful post. Paul refused to even discuss it or explain it, and dismissed our concern as "The community's dumb thoughts".

So I may not have been classy, but neither was he, and I feel entirely justified in my responses.

That said, I eagerly await the results.
I gave the most valid reason and the one Justin reiterated. It's too close to the tournament to make a major change like that. point blank thats the best reason i can use to defend myself and my actions. My major role in tournaments is booking the venue, postering, providing tv's and calling out matches.

On another note i have done noting but praise you for having more knowledge and skill regarding this game.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I gave the most valid reason and the one Justin reiterated. It's too close to the tournament to make a major change like that. point blank thats the best reason i can use to defend myself and my actions. My major role in tournaments is booking the venue, postering, providing tv's and calling out matches.

On another note i have done noting but praise you for having more knowledge and skill regarding this game.
I'm aware of that, and I apologize. It was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction after seeing the posts between you and Craysyn.

Sorry Paul, I was out of line.

Croi

Smash Lord
I'm just gonna say that despite my general position of wanting MK banned, I don't really care too much for this tournament because I'm teaming with someone who seconds MK, and Ike + MK is a better team than Ike + Wario. CP Delfino all day.

Oh, ****, you wanted me to go MK? I always assumed he was banned so I let him stagnate hardcore, haven't touched him since the last bi-weekly before the round-robin. Besides that, you and I have had such chemistry as Wario/Ike.

That, and, it's uncool to go MK. But I'll be uncool just for you if we gotta.

By the way, I only picked him up because one day I was like "you know what? I never actually use MK because nobody likes him. I'm gonna give him a shot today," and, lo and behold, I found him fun to use. I'm better with Wario, but I just found MK fun.
I also want Wario Ware legal but I know it's not ever going to be without hacks. Which are a regular feature at all our tournies anyway so something to keep in mind?

If MK was banned, I'd be a little worried going against Colin and Parker (not that MK even helps against Parker, but I haven't seen his own meat knight, so, believe the hype?) but nobody is unbeatable: I know the Snake matchup; I've been learning the Marth matchup; and I gotta not be ******** with my DDD CPs, so unless I feel like I'm totally jaded against an opponent, I'll stick with fatty.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Oh, ****, you wanted me to go MK? I always assumed he was banned so I let him stagnate hardcore, haven't touched him since the last bi-weekly before the round-robin. Besides that, you and I have had such chemistry as Wario/Ike.

That, and, it's uncool to go MK. But I'll be uncool just for you if we gotta.
Lol, I'm sure we'd do better as Ike/Wario anyways, but as long as MK isn't banned the option remains available as a pocket CP. I don't really want you to go MK or anything, I actually prefer teaming with your Wario, since I've never teamed with a good Wario before and it's interesting to see the stuff we can come up with.

It is a fact though that MK is the best possible teams partner for Ike, due to his ability to save Ike easily and gimp the opponents that Ike hits off-stage... among other things. That's all I was saying.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Don't forget about the sleeper team of "Fat Man and Little Boy". We're gonna come out of left field and win the whole shebang. You guys aren't ready to deal with the Hiroshima combo.

teenwolftoo

Smash Cadet
Don't forget about the sleeper team of "Fat Man and Little Boy". We're gonna come out of left field and win the whole shebang. You guys aren't ready to deal with the Hiroshima combo.
awesome team name. i heard a trivia question about the bomb names recently.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
i've actually been hearing a lot more about the japanese attacks that were carrier out like the **** of nanking for example.

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
Our deepest apologies to the community: There will be no MetaKnight ban at HellaSmashed IV. We feel that it is too close to the tournament to make it happen.

Further, we feel that we have made a great error in not posting the rules sooner, and also not making our intentions with the poll clear. For that we apologize, we never meant to mislead the community, and we certainly don't want anyone to think that we are ignoring them... you'll just have to accept that we made a poor judgment this time.

I don't want to say something dumb like, "MK will be banned after HellaSmashed IV", because that would be irresponsible, but... let's just say we're going to take a much harder look at the situation and make a proper decision.

Thanks guys, and I hope you understand... we love this group and the community very much, I truly hope that everyone has a blast at the tournament. We'll see you there!

Top Bottom