• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Nov 8, 2014] SypherPhoenix's Boosted Biweeklies! - Northern VA (Fairfax, VA, USA)

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
Sypher does all this talk mean that you're not hosting anymore? Or is small Saturday tourneyfest still going to happen?

ChuDat

Smash Master
Why do you hate Zenith/Apex so much? Alex Strife's tournaments are probably the best tournaments all year round. He's the only TO to bring in Japanese players to America. He's done a LOT for this community so I think you should show him some respect.

Don't be a bad TO. Your last tournament had no people, you are canceling tournaments at the last second, and you're announcing tournaments only 2 weeks in advance so your tournament tomorrow is sure to fail. People look up to you as a respected TO of MD/VA and it's a shame you feel this way.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Are there any cars left going? DJ and I are both gonna be like 10 minutes off of 95, so we just need a car with 2 spots, and some housing. We were gonna go with Wenbo, but their housing is packed.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
We can take you there fine bones ~___~
We just need to figure out housing
I don't mind doing a little extra driving Saturday night to get people places

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Why do you hate Zenith/Apex so much? Alex Strife's tournaments are probably the best tournaments all year round. He's the only TO to bring in Japanese players to America. He's done a LOT for this community so I think you should show him some respect.

Don't be a bad TO. Your last tournament had no people, you are canceling tournaments at the last second, and you're announcing tournaments only 2 weeks in advance so your tournament tomorrow is sure to fail. People look up to you as a respected TO of MD/VA and it's a shame you feel this way.

You're right Chu, Apex 2012 was a fantastic tournament, he's the only TO to bring Japanese players to the US, and I'd really like to shake his hand and suck his ****. I'm sure that Strife is a nice person, I'm not going to stop him from hosting, and I hope that in the future he can run better tournaments. I'm simply not down to spend $100 and put 500 miles on my car so I can give good players money for their time and sit around the venue for hours.

Please, please, don't bother trying to make this into some strange ad hominem crap. In the past 3 or 4 years I've cancelled exactly one tournament "last-second." There's not much reason for me to decide dates more than 2 weeks in advance; I'm running local tournaments out of my basement, not large-scale multi-regionals. These are tournaments that happen often and, perhaps unlike you, attendance is not what matters to me.

Alex Strife is a pretty cool tournament organizer. Hosts a lot of cool events except Apex 2012 wasn't. Who is stupid enough to put Melee for day 1 and Brawl for day 2? Brawl takes 2x as long as Melee. If either game ended up running late it would be Brawl. It would have been so much better for Brawl to bleed into the 2nd day rather than the 3rd. Day 3 was DISASTER

Also, why are Brawl players still playing at 3 stocks? That many stocks in that game is impractical to run a tournament on. Brawl NEEDS to cut down to 2

ChuDat

Smash Master
Alex is a nice guy that cares a lot about the community. You don't, apparently. All you seem to care about is your casual play. Hmm.. I wonder why MD/VA isn't getting better lol.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Zenith was really well run Sypher, I think Alex has learned a lot since Apex. Lots of setups, tons of recording, hype matches, no brawl :)

Also Winston you are getting so much better since last summer, don't get down on yourself. Gotta calm those nerves

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Zenith was really well run Sypher, I think Alex has learned a lot since Apex. Lots of setups, tons of recording, hype matches, no brawl :)

Also Winston you are getting so much better since last summer, don't get down on yourself. Gotta calm those nerves
IMO @ Winston, all you need to do is develop somewhat of an ego and all those jitters will disappear.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I am 87% sure my intimidation factor makes Winston suicide at least once a set.

And yes Mahone, I think so.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I guess, but who would come to said smashfest?

and thanks Doh. I'm feeling pretty positive after Zenith since I did way better than expected, so I wasn't thrilled about Chu's comment, but in all honesty I can see how it's still pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things
U got 13th... Give urself a pat on the back, lol.

ChuDat

Smash Master

Pretty much this. Sypher missed out!

Also, did anyone go to the tournament?

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
all this improvement talk is making me feel rather low-level lmao

DoH do you have any suggestions for my Falco after our set <____<

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I was playing really badly that morning so I tried to block out all of those memories

I would say FD is bad because Falco relies on platforms to speed up + I can chaingrab/0-death you really easily. You can watch stricnyn3 platform camp me, that also works if I'm playing bad but I will make fun of you for using a ***** strat like that.

Also I feel like your approaches are pretty predictable which allows me to do powershield/downsmash all day. Grabs are really good to counter that, as are tomahawks.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
yea, sometimes i don't do anything but run in with lasers/aerials which is pretty predictable, it's a big problem for me...also idk why i didn't ban fd =_=

thanks for the advice btw

Top Bottom