• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nothing like a Brawl Tourney

JPW

Smash Ace
Good to see a more in-depth Tournament mode. And I look forweard to setting a King of Smash or something.
And with that trophy it seems as though you can make your own.

Also the 32 entrants kind of opens up a hint. It is most likely going to be around that number for a roster I reckon.

He also said they're trying to find a way single players can have fun too with this, so hopefully it is online.

RatherDashing42

Smash Rookie
Personally what I was most intrigued by in today's update was the style of the menus. I've been hoping to see more of how the menus look for a while, and I wasn't disappointed. Personally I like how the backgrounds and menus are set up. It has a very Wii-esque feel to it, and accurately accommodates the Wiimote (large buttons, text, etc) and yet, IMO, still looks quite slick and cool.

As far as the Tourney mode itself, I was please with that as well. I did tournament mode quite a bit in Melee, and throughly enjoyed it. I'm excited to see how the Tourney mode is Brawl is expanded, particularly for one-player as Sakuri said.

P.S. Yay! My first post!:)

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Personally what I was most intrigued by in today's update was the style of the menus. I've been hoping to see more of how the menus look for a while, and I wasn't disappointed. Personally I like how the backgrounds and menus are set up. It has a very Wii-esque feel to it, and accurately accommodates the Wiimote (large buttons, text, etc) and yet, IMO, still looks quick slick and cool.

As far as the Tourney mode itself, I was please with that as well. I did tournament mode quite a bit in Melee, and throughly enjoyed it. I'm excited to see how the Tourney mode is Brawl is expanded, particularly for one-player as Sakuri said.

P.S. Yay! My first post!:)
yeah that is tru...

and welcome to smash boards (^^)v

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
The ONLY thing that may hint at Online Tournaments is that final quote. 'You may not have a lot of friends, but we're trying to make this mode fun for you too'. This may hint at an online mode simply due to the fact that they have to WORK on it. A normal tournament mode shouldn't be a hassle to code, so the only way that this would require work STILL being put into it is to create online play with it.

HOWEVER, Sakurai did promise us bare-bones wi-fi, so expecting online tournaments is not advised. We may possibly get one that you can play with your FRIENDS online, but that's still hopeful thinking.

burrito

Smash Lord
Well they're both made by Hal. Laboratories, so it's not unusual for the two to have the same style.
BRAWL ISN'T BEING MADE BY HAL LABORATORIES!!!

The reason the menus look similar is because of Sakurai's style, though.

burrito

Smash Lord
If there are online tournaments, it would make up a bit for online games being completely unranked.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
This wasnt a bad update, like most of you people say. It was the best update of this week. It shimmers hope that brawl could be competitively played online in this tourney mode. Which is why they are continuing working hard on this mode still. Some of you people need to think this update over. It's a very good "teaser" update. Im sure they will make tournament mode online.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
This wasnt a bad update, like most of you people say. It was the best update of this week. It shimmers hope that brawl could be competitively played online in this tourney mode. Which is why they are continuing working hard on this mode still. Some of you people need to think this update over. It's a very good "teaser" update. Im sure they will make tournament mode online.
I'd like to believe it, but do you know how long it would take to collect 32 different players on Wi-Fi for a tourney? It would take long enough to find 3 players for a simple Brawl, let alone a whole tourney.

IF tourney mode makes it onto Wi-Fi, expect to see very small tournaments taking place.

EDI:
And I'm really getting antsy for the next "New Moveset:" blog update. I hope we get one soon. I really want to know what should be done with Ness.

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
Hmm I hope that Sakurai doesn't think that the competitive melee scene actually uses that tournament feature...

It kinda seemed like he made this ''big'' Friday update for us.

Well, thank you, Sakurai-san
He tried...but this week wasn't all that good in the first place....Can someone tell me what the BEST week, or BEST Friday updates were?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
He tried...but this week wasn't all that good in the first place....Can someone tell me what the BEST week, or BEST Friday updates were?

How quickly everyone forgets. Just LAST WEEK was one of the best weeks of updates we've had. Wifi was confirmed, we got to see a large variety of brand-new subspace emissary enemies, and then the Friday update was an amazing Snake-themed triple update. Then for good measure we got Piplup and the Golden Hammer to round out the week.

But not every week can be that action-packed, so just one week later here we are, listening to a bunch of ingrates whining endlessly about how lame this week was.

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
This update isn't too disappointing to me... Tournament mode has always been a good bit of fun at times, so it's nice to see they haven't thrown it away. It might not be what real tournaments use, but it doesn't matter since it's still classy. Talking about classy, I've grown to really like the menus I've been seeing in these updates as well... it's a lot like Kirby Air Ride, which in itself was a lot like Melee.

There's always going to be one or two "boring" updates... none of you guys have any concept of suspense or hype! If Sakurai had revealed all of the newcomers in the first week, there would be NOTHING to look forward to... I mean, we're lucky we're even getting these updates, since not many games do this sort of thing.

This update also reconfirms the Item Switch too, which is a bit of a plus.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman

Instead of whining, you people should be analyzing images like this for "hidden info." As one person mentioned before in this thread, there's the "Blob with Hood Oops Fami" thing. Three of those characters are Kirby, by the way. Also, Snake has the name "Papa." That makes me think of the relationship between Big Boss, Liquid Snake, Solid Snake, Solidus Snake, etc. I'm not super well-versed on the complete back story of the Metal Gear series, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Other examples.

The name "Mama" is Pikachu. Does this confirm our worst fears, that Pichu is returning? Or is Sakurai playing some mindgames with us again?

With all the speculation that the people of these forums LOVE to engage in (I see Jiggles in the crowd behind Ivysaur, it's 5 pixels wide!), I would've thought you people would like the chances at speculation that he's given us over the weekend.

M.K

Level 55
Sorry, I see where you are trying to go with this, but none of those "findings" have anything towards it. Mama basically means the mom of the player is playing...and the Snake one is obviously the father of the player...

PRINCESS PEACH 777

Smash Lord
OMG....... soooooo boring i want this game already:mad:
any way i wounder in this smash game how many players can play?
8......maybe

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman

Instead of whining, you people should be analyzing images like this for "hidden info." As one person mentioned before in this thread, there's the "Blob with Hood Oops Fami" thing. Three of those characters are Kirby, by the way. Also, Snake has the name "Papa." That makes me think of the relationship between Big Boss, Liquid Snake, Solid Snake, Solidus Snake, etc. I'm not super well-versed on the complete back story of the Metal Gear series, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Other examples.

The name "Mama" is Pikachu. Does this confirm our worst fears, that Pichu is returning? Or is Sakurai playing some mindgames with us again?

With all the speculation that the people of these forums LOVE to engage in (I see Jiggles in the crowd behind Ivysaur, it's 5 pixels wide!), I would've thought you people would like the chances at speculation that he's given us over the weekend.
Any one notice how the dupilacte characters are not diffrent colors like in melee. is this becuase of the names being used instead or could it mean that there might be alt costumes?

Sprigginz_Caldo

Smash Apprentice
Lame-O update. It's another no-brainer update. =/

Tourney mode is great by all means, but save the Friday updates for somethin cooler, ya know?

Top Bottom