• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not having fun improving your game?

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
This may sound a little wierd, but just hear me out. Recently, I stopped enjoying playing Melee (due to my own personal problems). I've noticed that my Smash game has improved dramatically since it stopped being fun, which strikes me as a little odd. Does anyone have any kind of insight into the matter? Has it happend to you?

lengeta

Smash Ace
Usually people get worse when they're first learning 'adv techs.' The reason is becasue they're focusing on stringing certain button presses together rather than focusing on reading and adapting to their opponate. In my experience, one people start getting of their tech binge, that's when their better skill starts coming out; maybe that's what's happening with your game.

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
Maybe, it just seemed to coincide with the fact that I don't find the game fun anymore, so I thought there was a connection. Oh well.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Usually people get worse when they're first learning 'adv techs.' The reason is becasue they're focusing on stringing certain button presses together rather than focusing on reading and adapting to their opponate. In my experience, one people start getting of their tech binge, that's when their better skill starts coming out; maybe that's what's happening with your game.
Well when I started playing with semi-competitive players who wave dash and **** I did the same thing I did in Halo - I told them they're a bunch of nubs because they rely on button glitches instead of skill, and I matched up evenly with them cuz I read them decently well and wave-dashing just didn't phase me. But it did still give them a distinct advantage. Now I've started working on short hopping and fast falling. I still can't SHFFL really, it's more like SHFF. And wavedashing isn't really a priority since I'm Link ;)

But I'm wicked competitive by nature, so I'll only have fun if I personally do well, even if I get beat :-P

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
Wavedashing is actually pretty easy once you figure it out, and it's useful for every character, but more useful for some. It won't be as useful for link compared to luigi, but the backwards wavedash to ledge hog is useful for every character.

Toomai

Smash Ace
People don't usually have fun when they're working - learning to wavedash, pillar, wavehog, and the whole 27 feet is hard to make fun.

And yes, I made fun of the imperial system there by calling 9 yards 27 feet.

vericz

Smash Champion
After me and my friends got better at smash we didn't want to stop playing. We would stay at our friends house until 2 in the morning just playing and trying to get better. Smash is so fun.

Zone

Smash Champion
When u start learning Advance Techs. Alot of pple start taking matches a bit more seriously cuz when u learn advance techs you try and expect to win more than just playing to win (In a less serious manner).

Ur bored of this game possible for these reasons? I hope they help:
1.) You spend way too much time playing alone to learn techs.
2.) Your losing alot while trying and hoping to improve
3.) You feel like there is no more mystery to the game and that was what drove you.
(You know like RPGs like Okami or Zelda: Ocarina of time once you beat it once. It can only have so many more different things to discover)
4.) Your in love with another game atm.
5.) You just plain Burned out.

Solutions?
1.) Practice techs with friends so a conversation can be there. Way less boring
2.) Just need to understand applying a new tech skill or combo takes time to learn how to implement.
3.) Don't know what to do about that.
4.) Burn urself out on that game. then Come back :D
5.) Quit for a while. Come back see if its all fun again.

Also this is just assuming ur asking us why is it getting boring and how can I fix it? Like you don't want to lose ur love for the game but its happening anyways.

Also I had something kinda like this happen to me. I was newly applying Waveshining-Grabbing and I realized it's not easy to just pop into a playing style ur use to. I was being to predictable trying to utilize a new move I just learned even when it wasn't practical to use it. For a wihle when my friend was wrecking me. This was unnerving and making me less content with the game. Then I realized it just takes time, and losing.

You can't learn to spike if you don't Suicide urself alot to get a feel for the distance to make it back.

pdk

Smash Lord
a lot of people take the SERIOUS BUSINESS too far when they're learning stuff (you ever had a run-in with people who play on fd only?) or find that they're messed up because they use a certain tech way too much after learning it (especially wavedashing and moonwalking, people easily get their ***** kicked if they don't know just when not to use these)

the_air_up_there7

Smash Ace
Laredo Texas (training mode), offseason :)
Exactly what he said.

crescentia

Smash Journeyman
Depends on whether or not you have friends who are just as good as you.

Also, it depends on how seriously you take yourself. I still have fun with the game because whenever I get bored, I try to pull stupid stuff, like off-stage rests, or saving my opponent to further combo them. It's stupid because it doesn't work half the time, or I lose the game because of it. =P

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This may sound a little wierd, but just hear me out. Recently, I stopped enjoying playing Melee (due to my own personal problems). I've noticed that my Smash game has improved dramatically since it stopped being fun, which strikes me as a little odd. Does anyone have any kind of insight into the matter? Has it happend to you?
I find getting a falcon punch off "fun". I will repeatedly stomp or shuffled uair to falcon punch, and hit 1 out of 3 on a good day against a bad opponent who chose the perfect character for me to falcon punch.

That is "fun" to me.

When I am no longer concerned solely with fun, and instead play smart, I win. I do stupid **** when I am focusing on having "Fun".

lengeta

Smash Ace
Some people do take competitive play too far, thinking there's basically one beat-all algorithm that if done correctly automatically wins the game. They simply over-analize the game; this algorithm doesn't exist since anything can happen, but a lot of people believe there's a point of pure perfection when there isn't. Smash has pushed farther from complexity than other fighers, and that's way this game is so awesome IMO. Playing competitively should be making the game more fun for you, not less. It shouldn't be about learning tech A and tech B, but about improving your abilities in-game, knowledge, and experience. For some people it's just a really big, sudden jump, and they don't like that, especally if they're extremely casual.

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
Personally, smash has always been fun for me. I enjoy improving and improving and improving. At each new level and beating a level of players that used to beat me I feel a sense of satisfaction and pride. Not that I don't enjoy playing in general, but there is a deeper sense of fun behind the scenes for me. I actually found spending 6 hours my 2nd day with SSBM to practice wavelanding/wavedashing a lot of fun, because like most things, practice makes perfect! I felt cool to be able to use it in games. However, let me say something that really needs to be changed in the smash community:

wavedashing, l-cancelling, SHFFL, etc are no longer "advanced techs". These are really basic or at most intermediate technical skills required to compete at any level higher than casual play. IMO, advanced techs include things like ledge teching, pillaring, JC shines, etc. Advanced should mean something that only a very few are able to master. It's kind of interesting how wavedashing is considered advanced when most people I play can do it flawlessly. Just doesn't seem so advanced to me :ohwell:

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
It's not just when working on techs, it's that for one reason or another, the game is no longer fun for me. Even when I was practicing my edge-cancelled eggs (which are always good for a few laughs), I kept thinking "Why am I playing this?"

The wierd part was that while it wasn't fun, I was playing at a higher level then I ever have. I was 2 and 3-stocking opponents who usually 4-stock me. It's really rather random, at least as far as I can tell.

Zone

Smash Champion
Quit for a while and try again later. (If you want this game to be fun again)

I believe ur just burned out then.

fusion

Smash Rookie
You should find your Nintendo64 if you have one, hook it up and play smash on there. Then you'll realize how much fun Melee really is.

Zero_reborn

Smash Rookie
If your not having fun, quit. No point in wasting your time in something you don't enjoy.
Dont tell him that, he might actually listen, he's one of my potential partners and I will dislike you forever if he stops playing! Cmon mike you need to lighten up, i think there is this threshold that you have passed where you only want to do advanced techs and stuff its not like you have to, take it and incorporate it into your game but dont do it at the cost of fun. Just lighten up a bit and have fun with it. ;p

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
It's possible for you to enjoy the game of Smash when you are playing competitively; however, nobody wants to be a loser. We all want to win. That's how the human mind works. If you win, then your self-esteem gets a major boast, but if you lose and the guy that wins gloats about it and makes you feel like crap then you start to hate the game and the person that you can't defeat, thus making yourself wanna quit.

Improve your game of Smash and never give up!!!

Sadnap

Smash Cadet
Think of losing as a learning experience. If you find someone that is dramatically above your level, you'll eventually be even or perhaps superior. That is what I think makes fighting games so fun. You learn from your losses.

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
Maybe the thread title wasn't clear enough. Let me try here:

When I stopped having fun, I got a lot better. Has that happened to anyone else? Has anyone seen it happen before?

Zero_reborn

Smash Rookie

When I stopped having fun, I got a lot better. Has that happened to anyone else? Has anyone seen it happen before?
yes but not for smash, it has happened in a few computer games that i play.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986

I wish I could relate to you bro. There two types of Smash people out there. Those with natural talent (like yours truly), and then there are those who have to train 24/7 to be a sceptable challenge.

Mrobinson587

Smash Apprentice
Start playing pichu. Pichu is the ultimate in fun and challenge against decent players. Pichu is also nerfed enough to make it challenging with your friends...

Playing with every character also adds interest to the game. Start playing counterpick stages. 2v2 seem to have endless fun.

If you don't get a sense of satisfaction from being able to master advanced techs then oh well.

Banks

Smash Hero
yea play with more characters even if you get your *** whipped, it should make it more fun. Sometimes i get bored if i play one character all day.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
kind of. I think it is because to improve you have to lose part of the "its just a fun game" mentality. I have fun playing, but not as much fun as I did back when I used items on Hyrule.

If you aren't having fun, do you at least have some sense of satisfaction when you do complex techy stuff?

Really though, I'd advise either trying new characters, or just playing it "for fun" sometimes: get 3 friends, go to Hyrule and put items on really high. Relive the days when you didn't care about "being really good" (though feel free to use advanced techs) but just don't play to be competitive: IMO playing to compete makes the fun go away.

CHUK

Smash Ace
I think yourp alying too easy of a match when I am against a complete equal, that is when it is an orgasmic experience.

Banks

Smash Hero
yea chuk, good call. you must find someone of equal skill to have competition, someone of greater skill to improve, and someone of less skill to **** and put your skills to the test. All of its fun imo, but maybe you need to choose the right one for you.

kinshou

Smash Rookie
actually.. i think the game got boring for you because you feel as if you figured it out. You're a lot better than you were before and you win, as it seems, too easily now.

I would say the best solution to this is to go join some tourneys. You'll meet even better opponents and then, you'll realize taht you can still get even better at smash. That, i believe, is when the game will become fun for you again.

Banks

Smash Hero
go to tournament discussion and find one NOW, they are too good.

i have three in a row to go to now arghhh

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
kinshou is right: go to tournaments. do your best to find smashers in your area and hang out with them. once you've discovered everything about the game and do nothing but practice combos/tech by yourself, ssbm's great value does seem to lose a little of its luster.

want to have fun? take the undying will to win off your shoulders. find some friends to play with, and screw serious 1v1's. turn on items and play some special melee free for alls. something of that nature.

the "fun" in smash is no longer in the game if you've already played the game inside and out. it's in the friends you play it with. (oh how mushy that sounds)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Quoted for truth. Every noob learning to wavedash, shffl, or play falco properly is under the impression that technial skill is what makes or breaks a smasher, just because the techs seem so difficult to pull off, even I was like this last year when I still was not incorporating advanced techs into my game fluidly.

Now, however it all comes naturally, as with all experienced players. Its not about who shffls and who wavedashes... everyone can do it with their eyes closed. Heck pro smashers can probably take their wavebird into the bathroom, take a shi t and still shffl and wd perfectly.

But once all these necessary techs like shffling and the like become 2nd nature to you, you can finally begin to focus on reading mindgames and creating your own, and of course developing your Directional Influence which is SUCH a huge part of this game.

As for the threads question, dunno what you're talking about... only time I dont have fun playing is when Im having a bad day and lose like 10 times in a row, but that hasnt happened to me in over 2 months since I've gotten a lot better recently.

Top Bottom