• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NorCal Melee Power Rankings - Summer '15 Update - In Sickness and In Filth

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Ender, Snap, Nemesis, and Frotaz are my heroes.

PS. I seriously want to play Go. Who plays??? I spent like 4 hours reading about strategy. Also we should play on a smaller board first since I'm nub.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
Ender, Snap, Nemesis, and Frotaz are my heroes.

PS. I seriously want to play Go. Who plays??? I spent like 4 hours reading about strategy. Also we should play on a smaller board first since I'm nub.
We should play. I've probably only played 3 games in my entire life so we're on equal ground and the only strategy I know of comes from the end of clips of "Hikaru no Go"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikaru_no_Go

and I've yet to finish it.

Go is so insane though... mastering the game is unfathomable, but if we get too frustrated... there's always tetris right?

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
nemesissssssssssssssssssssssssssss......... where do u live i wanna play you.... lol.

the only reputable fox mains in norcal i havent played in dittos is you and zelgadis.

(zelgadis ***** me too much in friendlies, i was scared to go fox LOL!!)

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
nemesissssssssssssssssssssssssssss......... where do u live i wanna play you.... lol.

the only reputable fox mains in norcal i havent played in dittos is you and zelgadis.

(zelgadis ***** me too much in friendlies, i was scared to go fox LOL!!)
I live in San Jose if you want to come over and play sometime, but its sort of far

Can you drive yet?

I don't know bout myself being a fox main... I'm bad at fox dittos and I use sheik and cf just as much BUT... if you can get yourself over here, I could always use the practice... I lack people to practice with especially space animals. Is that your actual aim sn in your profile? I shall IM you

I saw your vids 5 months ago... scared me... can't wait to get some practice in.

The Game II

Smash Champion
When I had a mac (which is hella long time ago) that was the only game that constantly worked. but I sucked at strategy because i'd get it confused sometimes with othello

--GCII

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
better by 2 places? god you are annoying. it's so childish to judge the quality of this list solely on your placing. even if its not serious, it's annoying. and you wonder why you're not on the panel anymore
I'm off the panel I assume because i did outrageous things with my list such as including kev$ and nintendoking and putting myself at 10th...either that or people didnt see me around and didnt wanna bother contacting me

but since im off the panel, I feel justified in saying "this list is better by two places"...because now that im off the panel, i don't have to worry about things like getting kicked off the panel for "being annoying"^_^

EDIT: Uraj has a big fancy Go board

EDIT2: oh look at this:
13. Hyuga 78
14. Simna 64
lol largest point gap on the list...Hyuga and I as smashers...are pretty much the opposite ends of the spectrum....he enjoys driving and i cant...hey hyuga can u give me a ride to the next sac biweekly?^_^

EDIT3: i thought there was too much regarding me on the power rankings in this post so i decided to make this extra edit. Ness is top tier.

Zoap

Smash Master
hey guys so i was thinking today, and looking at the points, things dont seem to add up, at least with wat i was previously told.

One example is when the 6 of us discussed at least 1 of us said Jeff was gonna be higher than Dan on their list, now either that person changed their mind wit another look, which is very possible. But they went to extreme lengths to defend why they believed it so at the same time its like bleh. The reason I mention this is cuz Jeff has 144, which divide by 6 is perfect 24, meaning all 6 voted him second.

So maybe tommorow when Lunin logs on I can just ask him cuz he did add up the points but just want to make sure.

The King

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure you meant my name in place of Jeffs when you were talking about all 6 ppl voting to be 2nd on the list. And yes, to clarify, I believe that points were brought up in the discussion among the panelists that might have swayed their decisions as far as where to place Jeff and I. I'm not standing by this 100% because I cannot say anything with 100% certainty. But in short I believe a couple guys changed their minds.

And also, the sole reason that panelists from Sac were left out was because Ender had turned down the offer last time, or at least handed the offer to Simna, and there was too much dispute concerning the particularities or possibilities of his bias. But the fact is that the more often the rest of norcal gets to play with Sac, the more aware the Sac scene will be of norcal's overall skill level, just as more of norcal will also be able to better judge Sac's skill level. So because the SJSUs are on haitus right now, I'm just gonna say there's a **** good chance we'll have a sac panelist or two on the next list.

King Out

Zoap

Smash Master
ok king i figured and yes thats exactly wat i meant, just making sure cuz i looked at the points and if they were miscalculated there are alot of close places, so just wanted to make sure that there accurate.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
k if this list is based of tourny stuff then ok.
but if its based who the best is, skill etc. then take me off the list.

tc1

Smash Lord
Well the Samus title's are undisputable.

Luigi Possibly. But i haven't seen kev on the NCPR.. Or place as high as meep has In my opion Kev's not better than meep .

Uhm i just thought ultra luigi was the best because i hear his name alot and ive seen him in multiple tournies placing and making it out of pools and i never heard of ROTF sorry..

+ every body i said this is MY opinoin. but im listening

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
Well the Samus title's are undisputable.

Luigi Possibly. But i haven't seen kev on the NCPR.. Or place as high as meep has In my opion Kev's not better than meep .
Only other Samus I know of is Frotaz, and he plays a completely different Samus than DarkMike.

Best Luigi is prolly foxroar kthxbai

EDIT: Well yeah, Germ's luigi's hella good too, forgot about his XD

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
Kev actually plays luigi in tourneys. that is why.

Snap

Smash Ace
i remember kev$ luigi dittoed meep in a sac tournament a long time ago and took him out. but that was a long time ago.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Hey guys, I want to bring one point to everyone's attention regarding what we use as input for our rankings.

Should money matches be fair game to use as part of our basis for rankings?

I did some thinking about the nature of money matches earlier today. What is the point of a money match? Ostensibly the goal is to win money, but that's not all there is to it, necessarily. Sure some money matches may be purely for fun and excitement over cash stakes, but I think in many cases, the point of the money match is so that 2 people can get the best of their opponents at whatever time they decide, instead of just waiting until the next time they face each other in a tourney, which can often be months.

So, I think it is totally appropriate that if you want to prove that you can beat X person in a tourney set to money match them. Following this, I also think it may make sense to take money matches at a similar value to tourney matches (assuming they aren't for $.01).

Of course we'd have to have a standard to judge them by; I think they should be 3/5 using approximately NCB rules (players could agree to slightly different rules regarding stage banning, etc.), and I'd say $5 minimum. $5 because it's about half of a double elim tourney entrance fee, and it's a general standard bet in any case. And there's no harm done in refusing a MM either.

So lemme know what you all think about this.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Here is NK's problem:

SBW II

Beat Delphiki (close match, but prolly not playing 100%)
Lost to Kev$
Lost to Sad Panda

SBW III

Lost to Simna
Beat Dark Mike
Lost to Hyuga

SBW IV

Beat Hyuga
Lost to Meep
Lost to ShadowBTZO

SBW VI

Lost to Oni Shinigami
Lost to Delphiki (not using his main in either set, nor trying his hardest)

The Last NorCal Biweekly

Beat Nemesis
Lost to Bob$
Beat Hyuga
Lost to Falcomist

SBW VII

Lost to KFC
Lost to Boback

Do you see how inconsistent he is? He'll willingly and purposefully lose to players like myself (and I know I can't beat him if we were both at 100%) but then he'll turn around and beat Hyuga, Dark Mike, and Nemesis. If NintendoKing played consistently I think he would definitely be on the list.

Nemesis on the other hand I have not seen play, but his results:

Lunin & Yen's Biweekly

Lost to LunIn
Beat Clod Zero
Lost to Bootle

The Last NorCal Biweekly

Lost to NK
Beat Geo
Beat Hella
Lost to Simna

Consistent results, although not many. He also has the benefit of being observed by panel members, who attend NCBs more often than SBWs. I think that NK might deserve the spot but he fails to show it. However I won't say anything for certain because I haven't seen Nemesis for myself.

Bootleofwater

Smash Journeyman
That sounds like a good idea, Sheridunns. I thought that for a while about money matches. I just never brought it up because I figured people would somehow say it's different from a tourney match.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Double post time. edit: Heh heh Bootle saved me.

I thought about money matches for consideration before, but I think if one is to be considered it must be AGREED BY BOTH PLAYERS that the match will be considered.

I would like to say something regarding Sac panelists. I would like to recommend myself, but there is one very large problem: I have almost no knowledge of the players who don't make it to the SBWs. I have played or watched very few of them and have not heard a large amount on most of them. However I can fairly say that I would be able to judge the players who come to Sac at least somewhat accurately. I must also admit that, because of my lack of skill, my judgement may be obscured at higher levels of play.

SnapBP

Smash Rookie
Does the west coast "snap" post as "Snap" because I couldn't freaking get that. Hah he's not even good enough to be on the power rankings

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
snapBP, being your first post, im going to guess that you are someone else just taking a jab at snap.

if you really are new here, then keep your mouth shut. snap is a fantastic smasher who can beat a majority of the people on the power ranking using a bottom tier character.

so stop talking now, please.

tc1

Smash Lord
Uhh Meep plays luigi in serious tournies , but his marth is good 2.. And. Frotaz's samus .. Is not even on a scale with DM's Just being bluntly true

Snap

Smash Ace
Dark mike has a really good samus.

and meep has a really good luigi.

but i think when tc1 says they are the best in norcal, it will upset more people than it pleases, and thats no fun.

kev$, foxroar, and germ have amazing luigis too.

how about we all shut up about who's the best and just play for it.

----

edit

also do you guys think it's racist to say "I like asians"

i know it's not racist in the usual sense of being racist, such as in the comment "I hate asians," but both of these statements share something in common: judgement based solely on race.

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
also do you guys think it's racist to say "I like asians"

i know it's not racist in the usual sense of being racist, such as in the comment "I hate asians," but both of these statements share something in common: judgement based solely on race.
until someone says they are offended by that, I think there is no reason to talk about it.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Here's my challenge:

I'd love for people who are good at SBW to prove themselves OUTSIDE OF THE SBWs!

Quite frankly, all we have to judge people like Dark Mike and Meep are the SBWs and TGEs.

I give them credit for beating the likes of Hyuga, BTZO, Frotaz, and Zoap....but really, lots of people do that occasionally.

Still, you gotta recogize that people do worse the more they travel in general. Simna will probably tell you that he does worse when he has to travel for 2.5 hours to get to a SJSU biweekly. Norcal in general does worse when in Socal and vice versa. Think it's just coincidence that Ken's worst losses in the MLG season were in NY?

I suppose that Sac isn't so close to FTA either, but having those tournies be our only evidence?

Do I hear an invitational tourney in the works?

This is not designed to be an attack on FTA and Sac. After all, I voted for them to be on the list too. I just think that we need to step it up a little bit in terms of getting people together.

I don't think a once-a-month committment is too much. I'm thinking one tourney, once a month, swiss format, and so on. THis is all out of left field, though.

Go? Sorry, as I haven't had the spirit of a former champion Go player possess me yet, I have no skill at that game. I did teach Isai how to be a champion Othello player in like 5 minutes. I wonder if he still remembers?

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
i dunno, its not just SBW'ers and TGE'ers that have a problem traveling.. a while ago i asked some NCB'ers to come to TGE and Stockton and stuff and most of them dont have rides either.

IMO, norcal isnt connected.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
It's certainly easy enough to throw the challenge back at anyone else, that wasn't so much the point.

Complaints about the list, arguments over who has the best whatever, this person deserves credit for the list while this person doesn't...it all boils down to what KFC just said: NorCal isn't connected. We're all just guessing. Some guesses are more educated that others, but they still carry the same status.

If we could have semi-major events that could be announced at least a month in advance, we'd really have something that people could not only plan for, but also train for. Throw in that swiss system, too.

Top Bottom