• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NorCal Melee Power Rankings - Summer '15 Update - In Sickness and In Filth

Adam M!

Smash Lord
no one ever quits playing da game

but a lot of people quit da competition

Shroomed

Smash Master
nah, nobody really cares and nobody really wants to get any better besides a very small number of ppl

not much competition there

no one goes to tournaments thinkin, "i wanna do good blah blah blah"

everyone jus goes to hang out so there mite as well jus be a ton of smashfests n no tournaments

Buddha Lova

Smash Apprentice
Smash fest are better anyway. I think fly and someone else I can't remember had the idea of hosting really big tournaments once every two months instead of hosting all these stupid biweeklies and triweeklies just to keep the competitive tournament scene alive.

Shroomed

Smash Master
I think there just shouldnt be a power ranking. Dajuan it sounds like you need to play with some 925. It's serious business
yea i do

every once in a while i like to play those fun friendlies where u do random crazy stuff

but im more of the competing type where ppl actually like to try and actually want to win, which the majority of this community isnt

it's boring playing ppl who dont really care

that's y i like playing joeplicate

D

Deleted member

nah, nobody really cares and nobody really wants to get any better besides a very small number of ppl

not much competition there

no one goes to tournaments thinkin, "i wanna do good blah blah blah"

everyone jus goes to hang out so there mite as well jus be a ton of smashfests n no tournaments
i wanna do good since competition is fun

though im still a small fry

Lovage

Smash Hero
maybe in norcal

i think that's one of your worst problems
most people up there just wanna hang and aren't really in it for the competition

socal isnt like that as much except maybe some weirdos in irvine and stuff

L__

Smash Master
"Shroomed" (7:41:19 PM): everyone goes to tournies to hang out, not to try to win or anything
"Shroomed" (7:41:32 PM): there's like 2 ppl that care about getting better
"Shroomed" (7:41:34 PM): you and joe
"Shroomed" (7:41:52 PM): it's jus boring to play ppl who dont care
"Shroomed" (7:44:41 PM): im upset that i missed the time when everyone actually cared

COMPETITIVENESS WHERE U AT

Shroomed

Smash Master
maybe in norcal

i think that's one of your worst problems
most people up there just wanna hang and aren't really in it for the competition

socal isnt like that as much except maybe some weirdos in irvine and stuff
i could play kira or adam all day

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
I invite you dajuan to come up and start playing with me. 925 is always getting better, you come here and you will find people who want to improve. We do not play to beat each other, we play to make each other better and to get better.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i don't have it in me to really get better

the less i play/"train", the better i generally get

when i play a lot my bad habits just become more and more ingrained

it's a terrible catch-22

Miharu

Smash Hero

it's a terrible catch-22
same

i've reached a point in this game where i have to expend quite a bit of effort to see any noticeable improvement, and right now that's not the most appealing thing to do (aka i'd rather improve at dota since i'm seeing better results there)

whatever

Miharu

Smash Hero
i've plateau'd multiple times in dota already

i guess overall i just enjoy dota more and thus am more willing to expend more effort at improving in said game

it's not so much dropping 1 game for another when i experience difficulties as it is just devoting more time to 1 game

Hypethug

Smash Journeyman
I've really been trying 2 improve and I'm MADD serious about getting beter....seeing as I'm kinda late 2 the smash scene I really take it seriously.....but it's hard 2 improve only playing good ppl at tourneys that don't happen 2 often....
Dajuan train me 2 get beter and invite me 2 ur smashfests Lucien I will definatley show up

joeplicate

Smash Master
good **** me, i ****

dajuan play me for dayz

i know how you feel though
like, in socal for a period of time, everybody would just flake out of every tournament and go to pat's house to play rock band and dota and ****. it sucked.

it felt really terrible to think that i was being limited by other people's lack of drive

smash is also the only thing i've ever been competitive in, and i like it because it (sort of) helps to turn me into a go-get-em, competitive person

on the other hand, would i have had a normal life if i didn't find a game to take away all my feelings of aimlessness and wasted energy? WHO'S TO SAY!!

but i like it. understanding the mental side of the game, and what it takes to be a "winner," is fascinating to me.

pockyD

Smash Legend
it only approaches a certain upper bound though

it's like an energy meter

don't do anything and it'll max out

do stuff and it goes down

occasionally you do enough stuff that you can upgrade your meter

D

Deleted member

if u have a smashfest once per week and do no smash otherwise during the week, improvement will come

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
dajuan, you best not quit, not before I beat you in tourney first!

no, but srsly, I got hella upset at myself our first match in pools when I couldnt ever build a lead anytime time I got a stock lead on you on fd. (tho you proly dont remember)
It's hard to finish for some reason (no pun intended)
but yeah, make sure to show up to next tourney. We must play

YOU TOO, PHIL!
I havent played you since vegas '07 . . . . . .(Vegas!!!)

and you mained marth then, soooooooo

(I guess I played you in doubles several months ago but that doesnt count)

Adam M!

Smash Lord
i could play kira or adam all day
socal has problems of its own. every place is 30-45 min away from each other with little public transportation. while norcal has a smorgasbord of talent and variety, socal has like 10 players worth playing (either slightly better, worse or equal to you). oh and there's the fact that socal = immature little kids.

da grass is always greener. i'd trade socal for norcal in a second.

but in the end you should always be your own competition anyway. you dont NEED other people; if you think you do you're just admitting you're not good enough.

it's a terrible catch-22
play to improve and not to win. if you know all your bad habits then you take one bad habit at a time and make it your objective to not do it every time you play someone. then once they're broken one by one, you improve. after that, whenever you get hit ask why you got hit. then stop doing the things that got you hit. ez game

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
I think the problem for Dajuan was that he was so used to improving by just playing at the rec room every week.

But people in the rec room either suck, or they're Casey. So theres not much improvement there. And seeing as he doesnt really have the money to travel, he cant play people very often.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
play to improve and not to win. if you know all your bad habits then you take one bad habit at a time and make it your objective to not do it every time you play someone. then once they're broken one by one, you improve. after that, whenever you get hit ask why you got hit. then stop doing the things that got you hit. ez game
solid advice

Buddha Lova

Smash Apprentice
Probably the best advice I've seen for melee.

Shroomed

Smash Master
I think the problem for Dajuan was that he was so used to improving by just playing at the rec room every week.

But people in the rec room either suck, or they're Casey. So theres not much improvement there. And seeing as he doesnt really have the money to travel, he cant play people very often.
No, it's that nobody plays for competition....everyone jus goes to tournies to hang out, not to compete

nobody really cares about the competition, we mite as well chill n do other stuff

pockyD

Smash Legend
you can only adopt that mindset when you're consistently in the money

or really, consistently getting first place

if other people are still beating you despite their lack of competitive drive, why isn't that enough to fuel your own drive? if anything, you should try harder

Buddha Lova

Smash Apprentice
you can only adopt that mindset when you're consistently in the money

or really, consistently getting first place

if other people are still beating you despite their lack of competitive drive, why isn't that enough to fuel your own drive? if anything, you should try harder
Agreed, as long as someone is better than you that should be enough to keep you wanting to improve.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
IMO there should be more communication when playing matches/friendlies.

Usually noobs or decent players have trouble identifying weak areas. It would help a lot if during or after a match, an opponent who's better than you would say, "Hey, that stuff you're doing isn't working and I predict it. *Lists alternatives the player could use*"

It is kind of vague but it helps people improve.

Kira-

Smash Champion
but in the end you should always be your own competition anyway. you dont NEED other people; if you think you do you're just admitting you're not good enough.

i agree. the best example is Fly Amanita, he plays nobody at all and still ***** everybody. so no johns

Also I believe getting better after not playing has to do with losing your bad habits and people forgetting your style. for example i beat connor in the first set this past weekend cause he forgot how to play me. I won 3-1 and then lost the first set of GF 3-2, then he convincingly beat me 3-0. the last tournament we played something very similar happened, I won 2-1 and then lost in grand finals 6-1. Hugo does the same thing to me; the more I play him the more he wins, but I'm always able to take the first match from him until he figures me out.

So you're not actually getting BETTER by not practicing. If anything I always notice the biggest improvement after I've played good people that I don't usually play for a whole day.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
the problem is the good player doesn't want to hold the bad player's hand. instead we (at least me) want to see that motivation that you want to do whatever it takes to improve, so that means YOU have to take the initiative. the harder you work the more you will be rewarded, but good players don't bother telling you that out of the blue because if you have everything handed to you, what will you do once you inevitably hit your walls? the only way to become great at anything is to be voraciously determined about it, and if you need us to come out of the blue and tell you XYZ is bad and ABC is good, then you're never going to be good anyway. make no mistake, smash is a hard *** game, and you won't accomplish **** without a lot of hard work

or to put it succinctly, be your own teacher

D

Deleted member

i don't have time to play more than once and twice a week yet i improve after each mini break, some aspect of my game changes since i put some thought into what i do wrong while i am bored in class and i try to learn from each game whether I play a n00b or a good player
--

there is no greater learning from playing in tourneys, each tournament you go to, unless its a joke tourney, will make u focused with money on the line and help u control ur nerves

some people are exceptions

--
thats what i feel at least

---
i am always down to teach people but a lot of people i meet are angered by advice

Top Bottom