• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NorCal Install: Now with Teams, Needed Setups and SPONSORSHIPS?

DJcream

Smash Rookie
Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013; 2 p.m. - NorCal Install
Please RSVP on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/events/114487422062820/

Sup guys, this is Daryl "DJcream" Bunao. Given the recent push to get Melee into EVO, I've stepped up to support the community by helping to run SSBM in San Mateo, CA.

Event parameters:
Date: Saturday, February 2, 2013
Time: 2 p.m. doors open
Location: Gamecenter Arcade ( 47 South B Street, San Mateo, CA 94402 )
Streaming: FinestKO (http://twitch.tv/FinestKO)

Main Events (as of 1/20/2013):
P4A (ps3) - Persona 4: Arena
GGACP (ps3, xb360) - Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core Plus
AP (ps3) - Aquapazza
PSAS (ps3) - Playstation All-Stars 2v2
SSBM (gc/wii) - Super Smash Bros. Melee 1v1

Side/tentative Tournaments (as of 12/17/2013):
BBCSE (ps3) - BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
AH3 (ps3) - Arcana Heart 3
KOF13 (ps3) - King of Fighter XIII

GameCenter Arcade is located in downtown San Mateo, Calif. At first the arcade is hard to find since it's tucked away in an alley between Donut Delite and Bow Thai Cafe. Conveniently, the venue is positioned within walking distance of the San Mateo CalTrain station and downtown parking garage. Nearby parking is metered (rates at $0.25/$0.50 per hour); however, payment is not necessary past 6 p.m.

Also if you're coming in from East Bay, directions are pretty easy until you hit downtown SM. Take the San Mateo Bridge (toll is $5) into the Peninsula.
Exit onto the 101 North towards SF and go down it for a short while.
Use the 3rd Street exit and USE THE SECOND EXIT to head towards downtown.
If all goes well, you should continue down this street and should pass up a set of train tracks. Turn right at the following intersection, past the theater, onto B Street.

For CalTrain times, please visit CalTrain.com (http://www.caltrain.com/stations/sanmateostation.html)

Tournament prices and Arcade rules:
Evo-style match/bracket rules (aka 2/3 games, double-elimination)
Payment upon registration for game
Venue fee: $7 to be paid at the GameCenter front counter. Will receive wristband to signify that you've paid to play on any of the cabinets or arcade-owned consoles.
Pot split normally 70/20/10
No cost for only-spectating ("no play, no pay")

SSB Melee information:
Singles tournament fee: $5 to be paid to tournament director (tournament starts 3 p.m.)
Doubles tournament fee: $10 to be paid to tournament director (tournament starts 9 p.m., or an hour after top 8 singles is determined. Whatever comes first, hour lunch break)
Pot split 70/20/10
Melee TOs: Myself (DJcream), BobbySeige
Tournament director: Chun (This is the person you'll be paying tournament fees to)
Apex ruleset: http://www.apex-series.com/rules/melee/

Top 4 guaranteed to be streamed on FinestKO (though I'm pretty sure I can make the case to extend that to Top 8 or more).

Setups:
I've been given word that there will be enough space for 7 setups. Which means, if y'all can come through with setups, it will be much appreciated. Please note that we WON'T offer refunds on venue/tournament fees if you do provide setups, but you have our thanks.

1) TV = GameCenter; Wii = GameCenter
2) TV = GameCenter; Wii = XavierSylfaen
3) TV = DJcream; Gamecube = DJcream
4) TV = SFAT; GameCube = SFAT
5) TV = SFAT; GameCube = Scar
6) TV = SFAT; GameCube = ???
7) TV = ???; GameCube = ???

Sponsorship:
The owner of the arcade, Myung Kim, has expressed interest to me that if players/teams show crazy amounts of skill and loyalty then GameCenter is willing to sponsor players for larger tournaments like EVO. Case in point, GC|ApologyMan went out to SoCal Regionals with the GameCenter brand and got 4th in UMvC3.

I can't confirm how many players will get this privilege, if any at all, but I am told that people just need to show up consistently and play to their best of abilities. Talent won't go unnoticed.

Social Media:
NorCal Install Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/norcalinstall?ref=ts&fref=ts
NorCal Install Twitter: https://twitter.com/norcalinstall
GameCenter Arcade Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gamecenterarcade?ref=ts&fref=ts
GameCenter Arcade Twitter: https://twitter.com/gcarcade
FinestKO Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FinestKO?ref=ts&fref=ts
FinestKO Twitter: https://twitter.com/FinestKO
FinestKO YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/FinestKOProductions

DJcream

Smash Rookie
At this point, I would like to note that it is uncertain whether or not there can be more Smash-related tournaments at the event. We're using this time to accurately gauge the amount of space needed to run Smash as smooth as possible, without setting the other tournaments back. Also, we are unsure of the amount of time to run side tourneys such as 2v2 Melee Teams and Brawl/Project M anything (though I'd personally love to see these down the line).

EDIT (1/24): Top post will be edited with new information on setups, teams and other crazy ****.
So I just got in touch with the owner of the arcade and he's given me permission to open up the back "storage" room for additional setups. In total, it looks like there can be up 7 setups positioned in that side hallway and backroom altogether.

The good news:
+ HELLA setups (tl;dr 7 setups)
+ I can at least put one setup by the arcade entrance. I want high-class matches to be played there, and it gives more room to spectate than the hallway.
+ Teams is hella possible after singles top 8 has been decided. (i'm going to freeze top 8 so it can get streamed via FinestKO).
+ The owner of the arcade, Myung Kim, has expressed interest to me that if players/teams show crazy amounts of skill and loyalty then GameCenter is willing to sponsor players for larger tournaments like EVO. Case in point, GC|ApologyMan went out to SoCal Regionals with the GameCenter brand and got 4th in UMvC3.

The bad news:
- The backroom offers a blindspot for TOs. I'm going to need extra help from you guys to enforce a "no friendlies" rule in that room during tournament.
- The hallway gets really cramped so spectating will be a problem.
- GameCenter can provide 2 CRTs and a Wii. This means I need to organize a setup list on the official SB thread. Please go there to pitch in. BTW, your venue fee will NOT be waived if you do bring in a setup. But you have our thanks.

princess kitty

Smash Rookie
the one thing that you have to take into consideration is spacing of everything (set-ups, tvs, etc)
gamecenter isnt the biggest venue and with its plethora of consoles, spacing is limited
so im not sure if that'll limit the number of people who can enter or just give you an idea of how to properly space all the equipment

Scar

#HarveyDent
Let us know if there's space / time restrictions - we can definitely work together to figure out the coolest use of stream time (i.e. finals and some kind of crew battle or "prize fight" as we've done in the past).

Scar

#HarveyDent
who's organizing practice fests =D

i'm trying to play with gish once a week, probably on tuesdays. we should work on more standing smashfest days if there are any willing hosts

SFAT

Smash Ace
Do you need people to bring setups?

Also at this time do you know if we're going to be able to add in teams or not? I know it's an important part to the community and most people view it as a main event, as opposed to another side event. Some people maybe choose not to come solely because teams may not be present.

Regardless, though, super excited to see how this plays out and future events.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Thanks for setting this up Daryl, I'm definitely gonna try to make it out there. I can bring setups if needed

DJcream

Smash Rookie
Update (1/24): Top post will be edited with new information on setups, teams and other crazy ****.
So I just got in touch with the owner of the arcade and he's given me permission to open up the back "storage" room for additional setups. In total, it looks like there can be up 7 setups positioned in that side hallway and backroom altogether.

The good news:
+ HELLA setups (tl;dr 7 setups)
+ I can at least put one setup by the arcade entrance. I want high-class matches to be played there, and it gives more room to spectate than the hallway.
+ Teams is hella possible after singles top 8 has been decided. (i'm going to freeze top 8 so it can get streamed via FinestKO).
+ The owner of the arcade, Myung Kim, has expressed interest to me that if players/teams show crazy amounts of skill and loyalty then GameCenter is willing to sponsor players for larger tournaments like EVO. Case in point, GC|ApologyMan went out to SoCal Regionals with the GameCenter brand and got 4th in UMvC3.

The bad news:
- The backroom offers a blindspot for TOs. I'm going to need extra help from you guys to enforce a "no friendlies" rule in that room during tournament.
- The hallway gets really cramped so spectating will be a problem.
- GameCenter can provide 2 CRTs and a Wii. This means I need to organize a setup list on the official SB thread. Please go there to pitch in. BTW, your venue fee will NOT be waived if you do bring in a setup. But you have our thanks.

XavierSylfaen

Smash Apprentice
I've got a few questions. Namely, does it have a specified ending time or will it just go into the night at an unspecified time?

And I assume it's only for the 2nd, not the 3rd?

And lastly, why are friendlies not allowed?

XavierSylfaen

Smash Apprentice
There will definitely be friendlies, but while the tournament is in progress it's better to make sure that only tournament matches are being played or otherwise you run the risk of running out of time.
All right, that makes sense. Now I'm just curious about the actual duration of the tournament, and if the venue will be open before 2 P.M. for friendlies and other stuff.

DJcream

Smash Rookie
The arcade opens at 2pm so that means there will be no one allowed inside until after that. There is an hour, from 2-3 pm where yall can get your casuals in before the tournament.

Also the arcade closes at 1am. id like to wrap up teams way before that though.

:phone:

XavierSylfaen

Smash Apprentice
I said that I was going to be coming but I'm afraid I won't be able to. I injured my thumb playing football yesterday rendering my Smash capabilities useless for the time being. Sorry if you were depending on my component video cables.

Tone!

Smash Rookie
holy **** you people are a goddamn army, im impressed

i dont play smash but props, thanks for bringing the hype :)

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
LOL wassup, and thanks

yeah it was a super fun tourney, I hope SSBM @ NCI happens again. Next time I wanna enter some other games too (P4A, maybe GG who knows, and DEFINITELY Catherine :D)

I was the guy periodically playing Beatmania IIDX btw lolz

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Man, I really wish I could've gone to this. Next time for sure (and I'll drag all of modesto with me)

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
If I remember correctly,

Singles

1. PewPewU
2. SFAT
3. Shroomed
4. Zhu
5. SS
5. Toph
7. Tofu
7. HypeThug