• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Respect For Today's Rap

Makaveli X

Smash Cadet
You know, I listen to a lot of rap, but not as much as I use to when i was a lot younger. Rappers like Nas, Mos Def, Tupac, Diabolic, Jedi Mind Tricks, Immortal Technique demonstrate what rap is about. Rap is poetry, it's a a little bit of the artist, it is an art form, it should be.

Unfortunately today, you have rappers like 50 Cent, T-Pain, Twista, Lloyd Banks who don't match up to the caliber of the rappers I listed. Many of those being rappers of the past. They're not creative with their lyrics, I don't feel like they express themselves properly and there isn't a message in their songs. It's the same thing over and over again. 50 Cent second album was a compilation of songs he felt would be good club bangers. I understand club banging music is good to dance too, but their shouldn't be excessively produced, which it is.

Do you agree, do you feel today's rap is going down in the dumps?

Blackadder

Smash Master
Not if Eminem's new album has anything to do with it.

If it's raw and angry, while putting his wit and (With damm luck!) his old Slim Shady style, then I'll be good.

But I agree, really. Mushc of what I listen to I recently noticed is from the past decade or so. I'm more keen on Eazy-E than 50 Cent. NWA, Tupac, ect are where it (was) at, if you ask me. :)

Dibs

Smash Lord
Talib Kwali
Kanye West
Lupe Fiasco
Common
Joe Budden

:)
There's still hope.

Makaveli X

Smash Cadet
Well I mean I know there's still hope, but if we went from these excellent rappers to what we have today, it tells us the good rap is somewhat dying. It SHOULD be thriving but its not, most of it is underground. Underground rappers are really good but sometimes I wished they publicized themselves more even though they're not really for that that way they could set high standards. If they did, I bet there would be less rappers like 50 Cent out there.

Dibs

Smash Lord
They are definitely not going to be publicized as much as they deserve. Ever. They speak true and thoughtful rhymes and topics. But they are missing one thing that gets anyone successful in mainstream hip hop. They are missing a club banger. A dance track. Let's face it.. everyone loves to dance and a very few percentage of people like to listen to music for the meaning hidden in the words. It's just the way humans are.

I wish it was the other way around because these guys need to be recognized way more.

Del Money

Smash Champion
I go for mine...I gots ta shine...now throw ya hands up in the skyyyy

and yet hip-hop is dead...it's shame

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
"Today's rap" isn't just what is on the radio and other media outlets. Just because it's not widely publicized doesn't mean it's not part of "today's" rap. There is still a ton of great and amazing rap, you're just not looking hard enough. No johns.

Del Money

Smash Champion
The thread title should've been more clear, but it's obvious that they meant "today's MAINSTREAM rap". I know there's plenty of good underground stuff out there. Hell, I have it.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Not if Eminem's new album has anything to do with it.

If it's raw and angry, while putting his wit and (With damm luck!) his old Slim Shady style, then I'll be good.

But I agree, really. Mushc of what I listen to I recently noticed is from the past decade or so. I'm more keen on Eazy-E than 50 Cent. NWA, Tupac, ect are where it (was) at, if you ask me. :)
Wait, Eminem is making a new album?

Lesheik

Smash Lord
I don't feel like they express themselves properly and there isn't a message in their songs. It's the same thing over and over again
It's called crunk.

"Crunk is a genre of hip-hop music. Unlike the East Coast style of hip hop, crunk has a high-energy and club-oriented feel. While other hip hop styles might involve a more conversational vocal delivery, crunk usually involves hoarse chants and repetitive, simple refrains. Lyrics are based on a rhythmic bounce, which is very effective in a club environment."

- Wikipedia

;)

GOTM

Smash Champion
tupac, biggie, nas, eminem, etc. those are great talents. they mixed music and poetry to the best possible way i think it ever could have been done.

todays rap is party rap, and radio rap. it just wants to attract listeners to get big for a lil and then use that money to buy themselves a coffin for there careers.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
although im not much for rap,

i see what you mean.

all rap sounds the same nowadays,
compared to the original artists you just listed.

id listen to ra more, if it alot more original

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
How about instead of complaining about rap music, let's list some of the great things that's out now already

Remember Killah Priest from the Wu Tang? he's back and he released a classic record called The Offering
Check out this sample if you haven't heard of him
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kGOrpXoGQ9o

Immortal Technique! If you haven't checked out Revolutionary Vol. 2 then you're seriously
missing out, this guys got the poetic and political raps, this guy will get you moving to the left of your seat
sample
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ntQfkc7DRsY

Classics are still coming out, it's just that MTV, BET, and the radio isn't the place to look.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Remember that, while what's up front is mostly bad carbon copies of eachother's non-creative-made-for-the-money-style, what's beneath the surface is still good.

There is tons of good rap out there, just don't look for it on the popular channels.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Ummmm... Lupe Fiasco just released his new album "The Cool" one day before this thread was created, best rap album in a long time IMO

And we still have Kanye West in the mainstream who is as good as it gets

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Wait, Eminem is making a new album?
Yeah, it is supposedly coming out early 2008.
The title is "King Mathers", but some people think it could just be a rumor, so who knows..
I was so sad to see that Em only had a single song and verse in Curtis =[

Rap is on life support.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Yeah, it is supposedly coming out early 2008.
The title is "King Mathers", but some people think it could just be a rumor, so who knows..
It's not a rumour, check it's Wikipedia page.
Dre has said he's working on it for the next 2 months, and The Alchemisthas claimed that Slim is working on music "Every day".

But, if it IS a rumour, I'll kill myself.
Violently. :(

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Rap used to have some good stuff to it, but a lot of it now is just gansta this gansta that, F this F that, sex this, sex that. I just prefer not to listen to it at all.

The whole reason I stopped listening to the radio is because every song it seems like is rap. I guess its raps time to shine. I miss the good days.... I'll even go back to the boy band era to escape it.

There are some ok rap songs in my opinion, but a lot of it is just pointless.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
When I first heard about King Mathers, I wasn't really sure about it, but then a lot of people started talking about it.. It could be true, or one huge rumor, but let's just hop it is true.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mYWJXZR5DtY
Eminem and Lil Wayne doing a song together? :o
I'm a little worried about Souljha Boy.. Since him and 50 are friends, and 50 is Em's friend, there's a chance..
I REALLY hope that Soujah Boy isn't featured in this album. =/

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Rap used to have some good stuff to it, but a lot of it now is just gansta this gansta that, F this F that, sex this, sex that. I just prefer not to listen to it at all.
To anyone who thinks like this i would recommend Lupe Fiasco, thats pretty much a quote from a Lupe song

Akiak

Smash Ace
I dont really like rap. But I do agree its a style, a poetic way to express yourself.
BTW that Offering song sucked. It didn't have any change in the beat. The loop is the same for a whole 1 minute and something (which is short for a song).

Just an opinion. Rap is just not my kinda thing

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
I dont really like rap. But I do agree its a style, a poetic way to express yourself.
BTW that Offering song sucked. It didn't have any change in the beat. The loop is the same for a whole 1 minute and something (which is short for a song).

Just an opinion. Rap is just not my kinda thing
It's not about the beat, it's about the lyrics. Look at the way he rhymes, it's somethin else

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
There's enough movement in the underground, prog hip hop genre to keep yourself satisfied. Yes, hip hop doesn't have the mainstream appeal that rap does, but that's the same as indie rock not having the same appeal as pop rock. You're looking for love in all the wrong places, cowboy.

Artists to listen to: Lupe, Common, the Roots, Jurassic 5, Outkast, Kanye, Dilated Peoples, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Blackstar

If you don't like club rap, don't listen to it. But there's a big demand for it.

Rap is a business; hip hop is an art form.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Things I like (The farther down the list, the more experimental/odd) :

Lupe Fiasco
Dizzee Rascal
MF Doom/Madvillian
Cadence Weapon
Dr. Octagon

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Things I like (The farther down the list, the more experimental/odd) :

Lupe Fiasco
Dizzee Rascal
MF Doom/Madvillian
Cadence Weapon
Dr. Octagon
OMG SOMEONE ELSE WHO LISTENS TO DIZZEE RAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111oneoneone

I <3 Dizzee Rascal

Anyways, am I the only one who misses the East Coast/West Coast feud? Thats really when Rap shined, it really brought out the gambit from rappers, anger, hate, love, sorrow(after everything ended) and it kept artists recording nonstop. None of this waiting years on end for talented rappers to come out with a new record (or in Dre's case, DECADES -.-) AND DAMMIT, WHERES MY STATLANTA. AND DETOX. AND KING MATHERS. Ok, enough hating on Aftermath. But yeah I would like to point out that, despite essentially ruining himself with Ridin', Chamillionaire does have quite a bit of good **** out there. Check out he Mixtape Messiah 3, you'll get some good tracks from it(and a version of Kanye West's Stronger without all of the bad parts, i.e Kanye West)

Ninja-Z

Smash Rookie
I'm not that much into rap, but I do have a soft spot for old-school rap like Run-D.M.C. and the Beastie Boys. It's catchy, makes for a nice listen, and doesn't need shock value to succeed. It's a pity that there isn't much of that material in today's music; otherwise I'd like rap a lot more.

Makaveli X

Smash Cadet
It's not about the beat, it's about the lyrics. Look at the way he rhymes, it's somethin else
You nailed that point. I hate how so many people make the point about how rap is about the beat. I'll give you this, the beat is somewhat important because it draws the fans in, it keeps you interested in the song and its a good touch. But RAP, real rap, is about the lyrics, its about the poetry. It's about sending a message out to people. It's a way to express oneself but unfortunately not many people understand that. That's the problem. People listen to the mainstream hip hop they don't realize there is better rap. Mainstream hip hop is what most people think rap is, they don't know any better and why would they? That's all that plays on radio stations today.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
Its looked down on a lot due to most of it not being really great or an artist with a lot of talent. Not saying all rap sucks or anything, or a flame war, but most people probably prefer other kinds. It got butchered a lot, too. Like one of the above posts, its like "sex this, sex that, f this, f that"

DJ Silent

Smash Rookie
People should stop using 50 cent to represent rap/hip hop in any way, its already implied hes awful at this point.

Bone Thugs N' Harmony, Lupe Fiasco and Common are among the best in the game right now.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
As Dave Nelson once said (reading what Matthew had written) in the TV Show NewsRadio, "...it's not rap music; it's crap music."

Rap lyrics these days are obnoxious. I don't particularly like the music style, but I don't even like the lyrics at all. I pick my music half based on the sound and half based on the lyrics. If a song is amazing, I may ignore the lyrics, and vice versa. I don't like either in today's rap's case. It's all about violence, sex, etc. Who really wants to listen to that?

So yeah, I agree; rap's definitely gone downhill. Again, never been a huge fan of it, but it's definitely gone downhill.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
ICE CUBE!!!!!

Please dont say you forgot about him. Raw Footage comes out in a month.

"Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HzeZhCt5PVA

"It Takes a Nation"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dxjQzkEb164

"My style never change in 22 summers"
-Ice Cube

Seriously, he's been in it since the very beginning and he hasn't deteriorated AT ALL. He, Dre, and Snoop are the only ones who have experience when it comes to making real rap and are still active today.

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
Old school Bone Thugz N Harmony will never be topped. Bone Thugz is too good.

Today's rap is more like dance music. I just hate it when people talk about "this guy is better than this guy"
I'm like "who cares your **** sound the same anyways no matter how you break it down". Toobad Rock is just as bad today, hell its even worse. Must suck being in a school that's separated between rockers and rappers or whatever now, since both groups suck anyways and don't know what good music is.

In general, music is garbage today, the majority of the people will not understand that. I guess it relates how the majority of the people are idiots anyways.

Grunt

Smash Master
the kids
They listen to the rap
and it gives them the brain damage
ya see?

honestly, i don't like 99% of Rap. i only like a select few songs because they sound so different.

In general, music is garbage today,
Quoted for Truth.
Classic Rock FTW
Don McLean is my hero...sort of.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
As Dave Nelson once said (reading what Matthew had written) in the TV Show NewsRadio, "...it's not rap music; it's crap music."

Rap lyrics these days are obnoxious. I don't particularly like the music style, but I don't even like the lyrics at all. I pick my music half based on the sound and half based on the lyrics. If a song is amazing, I may ignore the lyrics, and vice versa. I don't like either in today's rap's case. It's all about violence, sex, etc. Who really wants to listen to that?

So yeah, I agree; rap's definitely gone downhill. Again, never been a huge fan of it, but it's definitely gone downhill.
like i said... its getting old, at least try something innovative.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
Never mind that this seven month old thread got bumped, but all of you posting in here and making broad, sweeping generalizations are really not contributing too much. Of course the rap that you hear on the radio and on TV is bad. It's commercialized schlock. But so is any music you hear on the radio. Country, pop, rock, all of what you hear on the radio is pretty much crap. Major labels determine what gets played on major radio stations and MTV, so the old role of a DJ as someone who carefully selected what songs to play in order to expose new, interesting stuff to the listener is all but extinct. It worked great in the beginning of FM, but now everything that's played is determined at corporate headquarters based on the results of focus groups in order to maximize profit. You have to dig deeper within any genre of music to find the good stuff.

And there is plenty of good rap out there these days. You just look a little for it. But the same goes for any type of music.

teeman92 said:
mostly raps song are ALL on the same ol' topics: girls, money, life and death, relationship,family...
You basically just described the human condition. Life, death, relationships, family, money...show me a type of music that doesn't have lyrics that focus on those themes. The songs are about that because that's what people experience. Sure, some rappers do it more eloquently, or with better flow than others. But the same can be said of other genres. There are plenty of pop punk bands out there with equally vacuous lyrics.

The idea that rap is automatically any worse than other types of music is fueled more by the latent racism in society than any musical criteria.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
i think mostly raps song are ALL on the same ol' topics: girls, money, life and death, relationship,family... it just gets old. i prefer soulja boy now
lately, all it is is Girls, Money, Drugs, Material.

Back then with people like Ice Cube and Eminem, it was about virtually anything..

I think "hip-hop" and "rap" should be two completely different genres. Hip hop should be the s*** like Lil Wayne, DJ Khaled, Akon, FloRida, etc. Rap would have the themes that old school rap portrayed or have really good lyrics. That would be the only way to save hip-hop/rap, whatever you call it now. That way, people like Soulja Boy won't tarnish the legacy that rap music created.

If you want good rap, just look on Youtube for stuff or go old school

Top Bottom