• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Respect For Today's Rap

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I think Hip-Hop is more focused on good lyricists

while the garbage like soulja boy is rap or crap.

Lol at teeman complaining about rap and then saying he listens to soulja boy get ****ed idiot.

Lupe came out with his new album and it was rather legit btw, people should check it out.

MojoMan

Smash Ace
WEll, the basic structure of a rap song these days is

I wanna f*** your wife because she's hot
WE're gonna go all night
I'm going to go get a really big car and laugh at you cuz you don't got one
Then I'm gong to go shoot the McDonalds clerk because I'm sexy

And thye make stupid rhymes, something like

My names is Diddy
i live in the city
it's really ****ty
i feel pitty
cuz my homeboy is .......liddy?

Sensai

Smash Master
Without reading anything before this and thus acknowledging my ignorance to anything that has been said in this thread, let me say this:

Most people don't respect modern rap because it simply isn't as good. It's turned into music dealing primarily with beating women, making money, pimping out cars, and doing drugs. There's no thought put into it anymore and there's no real substance anymore.

Of course, I'm not referring to every single rap artist out there. I enjoy a few myself, and I used to be really against rap. Aesop Rock, IMO, is pretty good, for example.

Autydragoon

Smash Journeyman
In a circle with Fez, Hyde, Eric and Kelso
I think alot of rappers are more in it for the money than anything else. I use to respect rap music but now every song has less originality than the one before it. Every song is about going to a club, getting drunk in a club and so on.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
I think alot of rappers are more in it for the money than anything else. I use to respect rap music but now every song has less originality than the one before it. Every song is about going to a club, getting drunk in a club and so on.
I do not respect rappers or listen to them because they are gonna be the next Al Gore. I listen to some rap of because of the beats and some of the poetry in the lyrics. Don't get me wrong they aren't the type of poets you were taught in school. The Poes, Hughes, Frosts or Dickinsons who had mosty clean lives, some of these people are just Misunderstood.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
1. Underground Rap is better then Mainstream Rap. Period.

2. What makes mainstream Rock anymore respectful?

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Green Kirby: The problem with 'rock' as opposed to 'rap' is that when you hear rap, you know it's rap. When you hear rock, especially the modern ****, it could be called a billion other things; alternative, pop, grunge, etc.

So, are the Foo Fighters 'rock?' Is Death Cab for Cutie? What about the Jonas Brothers?

That's the problem with having this same discussion with rock...it would just get confusing.

Given, that doesn't answer your question in any way, just a thought. To answer your question, nothing makes 'mainstream rock' more respectful, except for the fact that it has older things to fall back on. When most people think of rock, in my mind, they think of Led Zeppelin and The Doors, maybe Pink Floyd and the Beatles, possibly ACDC (gross) and we're able to compare the new to the old. With rap...we don't have that.

iredecent

Smash Cadet
Given, that doesn't answer your question in any way, just a thought. To answer your question, nothing makes 'mainstream rock' more respectful, except for the fact that it has older things to fall back on. When most people think of rock, in my mind, they think of Led Zeppelin and The Doors, maybe Pink Floyd and the Beatles, possibly ACDC (gross) and we're able to compare the new to the old. With rap...we don't have that.
the only old one i could think of was george clinton, and he was stil pretty recent.

Top Bottom