• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I'm curious as to why they changed the series' name to EarthBound when localizing it.

It still fits, but Mother is a clever name, referencing Mother Earth and fitting with the game's nice themes.

I guess since the first game's localization was originally canned, though, it would've been weird to have Mother 2 and not the first game; from what I remember, however, they were already planning the name change when the first game's localization was in development.
From my understanding, when they were planning to localize Mother 1, they were still going to call it Earthbound. My headcanon is that this was done to make the game seem less girly and feminine for the "macho" Western audience.
Yep Mother 1 was actually going to be called "EarthBound" in the states.

eb0preview.jpg

The only difference was the name was split up. They most likely called Mother 2 EarthBound rather than Earthbound 2 in the states to prevent confusion, kinda like the Final Fantasy games.

Ani and I have been having a fit over this. It makes no dang sense.
Something else weird is that apparently Mother is known as Mother in China as well, but not Korea.

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 7.02.49 PM.png

For some reason the site won't upload the Chinese pic, so hopefully this link works. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...5836/Screen_Shot_2019-05-28_at_7.05.36_PM.png

Not sure if this is a screw up or not. All other languages are EarthBound.

Who else thinks the armors are difficult as hell?
Oh those are my personal favorites...

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Oh, it's an enemy in Mother 1. A reaaaally annoying one lol.
For a second there, I thought you were talking about Zelda Armos Knight, and I was going to agree with you.

Other note: I'm finishing Earthbound this weekend, so I think I'm about to get annihilated lol.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
I've also sent the message to my German family. No idea when they'll get back to me. Any other Mother-themed words I should ask them to pronounce?

The Mother logo continues to puzzle me.

Sorry for the double post.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Alright so I was looking more at the website and the Chinese website uses the Japanese titles for the gameplay videos as well while Korean doesn't. So I'm personally thinking that the Mother name being on the Chinese site was due to it being copied and pasted. So uh. Mystery solved I think?

Also I noticed that only the Japanese site has different logos based on the language. Almost seems kinda pointless in my opinion, but who knows.

This does make the the Japanese Mother logo the only one without a transparent background which is... Weird. It's certainly weird. They have a transparent version of the logo. It's used in the game as the title for the Magicant stage.

For a second there, I thought you were talking about Zelda Armos Knight, and I was going to agree with you.

Other note: I'm finishing Earthbound this weekend, so I think I'm about to get annihilated lol.
Where are you at in it?

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Alright so I was looking more at the website and the Chinese website uses the Japanese titles for the gameplay videos as well while Korean doesn't. So I'm personally thinking that the Mother name being on the Chinese site was due to it being copied and pasted. So uh. Mystery solved I think?

Also I noticed that only the Japanese site has different logos based on the language. Almost seems kinda pointless in my opinion, but who knows.

This does make the the Japanese Mother logo the only one without a transparent background which is... Weird. It's certainly weird. They have a transparent version of the logo. It's used in the game as the title for the Magicant stage.

Where are you at in it?

Well, the Chinese one probably wasn't a big deal since the Switch isn't even available in China yet. Can thank censorship for that one. Heck, Smash will probably never be released in China.

I honestly don't remember. It's been about a year since I've touched it. I think I was in Winters for the second time. I know I don't have Poo yet.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Well, the Chinese one probably wasn't a big deal since the Switch isn't even available in China yet. Can thank censorship for that one. Heck, Smash will probably never be released in China.

I honestly don't remember. It's been about a year since I've touched it. I think I was in Winters for the second time. I know I don't have Poo yet.
Strange. There's two different Chinese sites as well. Guess they wanted to be all inclusive. Certainly explains the copy and pasted Mother logo. Yet the Fire Emblem logo is in English so I honestly don't have a damn clue anymore. Chinese site seems to be the most inconsistent. Doesn't explain the lack of a plain black Mother logo though. It just looks so out of place compared to the others.

We could probs help you out once you figure out where you're at.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Strange. There's two different Chinese sites as well. Guess they wanted to be all inclusive. Certainly explains the copy and pasted Mother logo. Yet the Fire Emblem logo is in English so I honestly don't have a damn clue anymore. Chinese site seems to be the most inconsistent. Doesn't explain the lack of a plain black Mother logo though. It just looks so out of place compared to the others.

We could probs help you out once you figure out where you're at.
Well, here's the thing. With China, they're probably just playing it safe.

I had a thought with the name. What if it is a typo and it's supposed to be called, "Mother_Blank" instead of black. Blank as in a blank template, an early version of the logo planned for the website without any fancy stuff done?

I'm probably going to need it. I'm already not looking forward to getting the Sword of Kings.

D

Deleted member

Yep Mother 1 was actually going to be called "EarthBound" in the states.

View attachment 224887

The only difference was the name was split up. They most likely called Mother 2 EarthBound rather than Earthbound 2 in the states to prevent confusion, kinda like the Final Fantasy games.

Something else weird is that apparently Mother is known as Mother in China as well, but not Korea.

View attachment 224892

For some reason the site won't upload the Chinese pic, so hopefully this link works. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...5836/Screen_Shot_2019-05-28_at_7.05.36_PM.png

Not sure if this is a screw up or not. All other languages are EarthBound.

Oh those are my personal favorites...
They're my personal favorites as well lmao.

Where are you at in it?
If they have a transparent version of the logo, then yeah, it's probably some weird editing mistake or something. It is weird though.

What Zelda game are those in?

Oh, good luck then lol. In my first playthrough of Earthbound, I pretty much just ran away from every enemy in the final area of the game.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
What Zelda game are those in?

Oh, good luck then lol. In my first playthrough of Earthbound, I pretty much just ran away from every enemy in the final area of the game.
They first appeared in Zelda one. They rarely show up in the 3D games. In fact, I think Ocarina of Time is the only 3D game they have an appearance in. They are evil, only able to be damaged from the back. Pray you never deal with them.

Well, I'm Mario and Luigi-ing this game and battling every enemy I see. It makes the game go slower, but I'm also much higher level than I would normally be.

D

Deleted member

They first appeared in Zelda one. They rarely show up in the 3D games. In fact, I think Ocarina of Time is the only 3D game they have an appearance in. They are evil, only able to be damaged from the back. Pray you never deal with them.

Well, I'm Mario and Luigi-ing this game and battling every enemy I see. It makes the game go slower, but I'm also much higher level than I would normally be.
Ah lol, then those do sound annoying as well.

Yeah, I do that usually now in my later playthroughs of the game. It does help with getting the Sword of Kings since, the higher your level, the higher chance you get it in a shorter amount of time.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Ah lol, then those do sound annoying as well.

Yeah, I do that usually now in my later playthroughs of the game. It does help with getting the Sword of Kings since, the higher your level, the higher chance you get it in a shorter amount of time.
I still say the worst Zelda history in existence is Zelda I Darknut. Zelda I Darknut is actually hot garbage and totally unfair. I can't imagine Earthbound has anything worse than the rooms in Zelda I that had like 5 or 6 Darknuts.

You think I'm going to do Sword of Kings legit? I'm on an SNES Classic, I'm abusing the heck out of save states!

D

Deleted member

I still say the worst Zelda history in existence is Zelda I Darknut. Zelda I Darknut is actually hot garbage and totally unfair. I can't imagine Earthbound has anything worse than the rooms in Zelda I that had like 5 or 6 Darknuts.

You think I'm going to do Sword of Kings legit? I'm on an SNES Classic, I'm abusing the heck out of save states!
I wonder how hard the Darknuts are then lmao. Honestly the only Zelda game I've played is Wind Waker, and that had things that were extremely difficult for me (most likely I just suck at the game though lol).

Save states (or restore points if you play it on the WiiU like me) are life savers. Especially right before a boss fight or, if you're playing a game for the first time and have to make a decision.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Well, here's the thing. With China, they're probably just playing it safe.

I had a thought with the name. What if it is a typo and it's supposed to be called, "Mother_Blank" instead of black. Blank as in a blank template, an early version of the logo planned for the website without any fancy stuff done?

I'm probably going to need it. I'm already not looking forward to getting the Sword of Kings.
After saving some other files, turns out they all have _black in the name. So rip.

I did notice that there ARE only two variations for each franchise though. English and Japanese. What's actually hilarious though is some like Metroid have identical logos, but are still categorized as separate languages. Here I'll show you guys.

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 9.31.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 9.31.13 PM.png

Same logo, yet they're categorized differently. On a different note:

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 9.33.30 PM.png

EarthBound logo is titled Mother as well. Does any of this mean anything?

Nah probably not. The fact that the Mother logo looks really off compared to the others bugs me as a design major though.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
I wonder how hard the Darknuts are then lmao. Honestly the only Zelda game I've played is Wind Waker, and that had things that were extremely difficult for me (most likely I just suck at the game though lol).

Save states (or restore points if you play it on the WiiU like me) are life savers. Especially right before a boss fight or, if you're playing a game for the first time and have to make a decision.
Imagine, if you will, an enemy that you can only attack from the back. An enemy that can do lots of damage just by walking into you. Imagine an enemy that, even with the best weaponry in the game, still takes multiple hits. Imagine an enemy that has a completely unpredictable movement pattern. Now imagine being in a locked room with like 7 or 8 of them EACH FREAKING DUNGEON, sometimes multiple times a dungeon. Don't listen to others, Zelda I is bad. Don't play it.

After saving some other files, turns out they all have _black in the name. So rip.

I did notice that there ARE only two variations for each franchise though. English and Japanese. What's actually hilarious though is some like Metroid have identical logos, but are still categorized as separate languages. Here I'll show you guys.

View attachment 224927

View attachment 224928

View attachment 224929

Nah probably not. The fact that the Mother logo looks really off compared to the others bugs me as a design major though.
It's still probably worth noting. I think it's still likely a placeholder image. Didn't you say the red of the logo doesn't match the red seen in other Mother 1 stuff?

D

Deleted member

View attachment 224927

View attachment 224928

View attachment 224929

That is interesting then.

And, huh, once again, the Earthbound logo being titled Mother and the background of the Mother logo is still weird.

Imagine, if you will, an enemy that you can only attack from the back. An enemy that can do lots of damage just by walking into you. Imagine an enemy that, even with the best weaponry in the game, still takes multiple hits. Imagine an enemy that has a completely unpredictable movement pattern. Now imagine being in a locked room with like 7 or 8 of them EACH FREAKING DUNGEON, sometimes multiple times a dungeon. Don't listen to others, Zelda I is bad. Don't play it.

It's still probably worth noting. I think it's still likely a placeholder image. Didn't you say the red of the logo doesn't match the red seen in other Mother 1 stuff?
Imagine being able to beat this enemy

This post was made by me

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Well the red on Mother covers and merch is very inconsistent.

1559102241709.png

1559102281552.png

So. I'm unsure.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Lmao this was funny.

Itoi was eating some Funky Mushrooms.
I guess that explains what kind of creative high he was on when he came up with the Mother/EarthBound series LOL. I’m still not sure how we was able to pitch the ideas for these games to Nintendo, but I’m sure glad he did.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I guess that explains what kind of creative high he was on when he came up with the Mother/EarthBound series LOL. I’m still not sure how we was able to pitch the ideas for these games to Nintendo, but I’m sure glad he did.
This is so true lmao. He was eating some weird mushrooms when he thought of the idea for the Mother series, and he showed what gave him the idea for the Mother series in Mother 3!

And, in the process, he gave us one of, if on the very off chance not the, best video game franchise ever.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
This is so true lmao. He was eating some weird mushrooms when he thought of the idea for the Mother series, and he showed what gave him the idea for the Mother series in Mother 3!

And, in the process, he gave us one of, if on the very off chance not the, best video game franchise ever.
With the help of Nintendo. It probably took them a long time to make them, but they were worth the wait. And Besides, It’s like something Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario himself, said: “A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad”
And Nintendo has stuck with that motto ever since. In summary, he basically said “You can’t rush art.” (I’m not sure what this has to do with the Mother/EarthBound series, but whatever)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

With the help of Nintendo. It probably took them a long time to make them, but they were worth the wait. And Besides, It’s like something Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario himself, said: “A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad”
And Nintendo has stuck with that motto ever since. In summary, he basically said “You can’t rush art.” (I’m not sure what this has to do with the Mother/EarthBound series, but whatever)
This is also so true. It's probably even Nintendo's best example of it given how much development hell it entered, and how good each game in the series was.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Imagine being able to beat this enemy

This post was made by me
This is getting dreadfully off topic for this board, but I will just say this. If any of you decide you want to get into the Zelda series, Skyward Sword, for Wii and Wii U VC, is the way to go. It's by far the most forgiving game for beginners.

Well the red on Mother covers and merch is very inconsistent.

View attachment 224933

View attachment 224934

So. I'm unsure.
It doesn't appear to match a current red, which is my point. Either they took a scan wrong, or this is an entirely new logo.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
It doesn't appear to match a current red, which is my point. Either they took a scan wrong, or this is an entirely new logo.
I’d say it’s the original logo but heavily saturated. It’s really not the shade of red that bothers me, hell the red is even inconsistent from the actual packaging to some online images.

It’s why there’s red there in the first place when they have access to a transparent black logo that’d be more in tune with every other logo on the site that bothers me.

Even the English one is transparent. I’m half wondering if they just forgot to use it or something. It just looks really off compared to the rest. And if it’s a legibility issue, FE has a small all black logo too so uh. No clue.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey y'all, I just wanted to let ya know that Ani's taking a break from SB.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Exactly my thoughts as well.

Also, (here I should probably put this in spoilers for you Teochard Teochard )

Do you guys like to grind for the wooden bat at the beginning of the game?
I usually don’t even bother until a certain someone can use their broken stat growths to make it easy mode.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
D

Deleted member

If funky mushrooms are Mother's version of drugs

That makes Lucas a drug addict

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If funky mushrooms are Mother's version of drugs

That makes Lucas a drug addict
I don't blame him, with the childhood he had.

Then again as far as we know all of the Mother universe is fueled by drugs. Would explain a lot.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
I don't blame him, with the childhood he had.

Then again as far as we know all of the Mother universe is fueled by drugs. Would explain a lot.
Well, except in Mother 1 for the most part, the "drugs" in that game are mainly medicine, just called drugs cuz back then that was a more common term for medicine if I'm not mistaken. At most, the "weirdest" or more uncommon things that I remember Ninten consuming or using are the inhaler, the capsules and the magic herbs.
And when it comes to the Magic Herbs I always thought he would either consume them by, like, putting them on his wounds like some sort of bandaid or use them as if they were tea leaves.

Ninten Tea.png

Oh, and there was that one time where Ninten drank alcohol but we don't talk about that, shh...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, except in Mother 1 for the most part, the "drugs" in that game are mainly medicine, just called drugs cuz back then that was a more common term for medicine if I'm not mistaken. At most, the "weirdest" or more uncommon things that I remember Ninten consuming or using are the inhaler, the capsules and the magic herbs.
And when it comes to the Magic Herbs I always thought he would either consume them by, like, putting them on his wounds like some sort of bandaid or use them as if they were tea leaves.

View attachment 225370

Oh, and there was that one time where Ninten drank alcohol but we don't talk about that, shh...
I was just cracking a joke at the expense of Mother's weirdness.

Though I can't recall the time when Ninten drank alcohol, when was that?

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
I was just cracking a joke at the expense of Mother's weirdness.

Though I can't recall the time when Ninten drank alcohol, when was that?
I know I know xD
Just wanted to point out how Mother 1 is the more realistic of all three Mother games when it comes to its content.

In Ellay there's the Live House where you would encounter Teddy. After you get in, there's a bunch of people you can talk to.
A woman at one of the tables offers Ninten a drink when spoken to, and if Ninten accepts it, he will be arrested for underage drinking. His weapon will then be confiscated, and can only be obtained again by buying it back from a shady man inside of the police station.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I know I know xD
Just wanted to point out how Mother 1 is the more realistic of all three Mother games when it comes to its content.

In Ellay there's the Live House where you would encounter Teddy. After you get in, there's a bunch of people you can talk to.
A woman at one of the tables offers Ninten a drink when spoken to, and if Ninten accepts it, he will be arrested for underage drinking. His weapon will then be confiscated, and can only be obtained again by buying it back from a shady man inside of the police station.
Ah yes, I remember being hella confused by that.

Top Bottom