• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
On a different note, I made a Mt. Itoi stage! But I don't know what song to put for it. Any ideas? I'm thinking Pollyana but I still would like to see if anyone else knows a more fitting theme before I publish it.
Boss battle 2 from brawl fits Mt. Itoi pretty nicely.
What's German for Earthbound
Probably just "EarthBound" in a German accent since the game was never localized in German.

Last edited:

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Now I wanna hear Earthbound in a German accent.
Well, from what I'm reading online, the name is just Earthbound. To be fair, German names rarely change from the English ones, since German is actually a quite similar language to English. The only notable exceptions are when the UK uses a different name, or when the name of the series is very similar to something copyrighted in German: see Star Fox renamed to Lylat Wars. However, I'll ask my family that still lives in Germany and see if they know the name is any different. If not, I'll have him record himself saying Earthbound so that y'all can hear it.

Edit: Can confirm. According to the official Nintendo website, Earthbound is the German name for the series. I'll just get that recording. Don't know how I'll upload it here though

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ah okay.

So is Mother then the same in German with a different accent, or is it different altogether?

D

Deleted member

So is there anything else important we need to discuss right now?
Y'know, regarding the possibility of a Mother trilogy remake, another thing that's made me confident in it is how Mother 1, the 6th best selling WiiU VC game (correct me if I'm wrong The Anigriffin The Anigriffin ), isn't in the datamine for the NES online games, and how Earthbound, the 2nd best selling WiiU and 3DS VC game, isn't in the SNES online datamine, despite being a launch title for the WiiU and 3DS.

If they aren't on their respective online services, then I think something for the trilogy is planned, that being a Mother trilogy remake.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Y'know, regarding the possibility of a Mother trilogy remake, another thing that's made me confident in it is how Mother 1, the 6th best selling WiiU VC game (correct me if I'm wrong The Anigriffin The Anigriffin ), isn't in the datamine for the NES online games, and how Earthbound, the 2nd best selling WiiU and 3DS VC game, isn't in the SNES online datamine, despite being a launch title for the WiiU and 3DS.

If they aren't on their respective online services, then I think something for the trilogy is planned, that being a Mother trilogy remake.
I can confirm both ends for you. Mother 1 hasn't been datamined for NES Online, and Earthbound is the only Nintendo-owned game from the SNES Classic not datamined for the SNES Online. Both Mother games are missing, and on the year of the anniversary no less.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can confirm both ends for you. Mother 1 hasn't been datamined for NES Online, and Earthbound is the only game from the SNES Classic not datamined for the SNES Online. Both Mother games are missing, and on the year of the anniversary no less.
I didn't even know it's the only SNES Classic game not on the SNES online. It's pretty suspicious to me. Like, really suspicious.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
I didn't even know it's the only SNES Classic game not on the SNES online. It's pretty suspicious to me. Like, really suspicious.
I had to edit that. It's the only Nintendo-owned game. Some third party games aren't on there, usually because they are already on the Switch via collections like Mega Man X and Super Castlevania IV. The Square games aren't there because Square is a butt. But from the Nintendo games, Earthbound is the only one missing. A conspicuous omission, if you ask me.

D

Deleted member

I had to edit that. It's the only Nintendo-owned game. Some third party games aren't on there, usually because they are already on the Switch via collections like Mega Man X and Super Castlevania IV. The Square games aren't there because Square is a butt. But from the Nintendo games, Earthbound is the only one missing. A conspicuous omission, if you ask me.
Oh okay. Still, that's really suspicious.

And another thing, I think a Mother trilogy remake began development years back, like 2013 or 2014. The needle in Lucas's victory screen in Smash 4 was redesigned, so maybe they redesigned the needle because the Mother trilogy was getting remade.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Oh okay. Still, that's really suspicious.

And another thing, I think a Mother trilogy remake began development years back, like 2013 or 2014. The needle in Lucas's victory screen in Smash 4 was redesigned, so maybe they redesigned the needle because the Mother trilogy was getting remade.
Well, funny you should mention that. A core part of my theory on the collection involves Sakurai knowing about the Mother Collection during the development of Smash 4. I can't say all the details yet, but there are some things I find suspicious.

I also have this theory I wanted to bounce off people. What if I told you I feel like the Onett stage began development in Melee as a Podunk stage?

D

Deleted member

Well, funny you should mention that. A core part of my theory on the collection involves Sakurai knowing about the Mother Collection during the development of Smash 4. I can't say all the details yet, but there are some things I find suspicious.

I also have this theory I wanted to bounce off people. What if I told you I feel like the Onett stage began development in Melee as a Podunk stage?
Wait are you serious?

Well damn....that means Mother 1 was on Sakurai's mind even more than we thought.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Wait are you serious?

Well damn....that means Mother 1 was on Sakurai's mind even more than we thought.
Well, for one, despite the fact we actually have a literal Onett song now, Bein' Friends is still the default song for the stage. And Pollyanna remains the third most played song by default. Meaning that two of the three most common songs for the Onett stage are the town themes for Mother 1.

For two, and I'm not kidding about this, there is a fully modelled baseball field in front of the camera where it can never be seen in game. There isn't a baseball field anywhere in Earthbound, let alone Onett. Why is it there, and why is it still part of the stage?

For three, the layout is weird. Fourside is like an artist's interpretation of Fourside, taking place on a nameless building. Onett is built more like a straight rip from the game. So why are we on the Drug Store, with two buildings on either side that aren't near the Drug Store? And the Drug Store is also isn't far enough south relative to Ness' house.

Finally, thanks to Ani for this one, but why are the Runaway Five here? You don't see them until Twoson! Heck, they don't even play music or anything, so it's hard to even tell it's them! But if this was a Podunk stage, that could have been a Devil Car that was changed to the Runaway Five late in development.

There are other pieces to the theory, but these are the most important bits to the theory.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Well, for one, despite the fact we actually have a literal Onett song now, Bein' Friends is still the default song for the stage. And Pollyanna remains the third most played song by default. Meaning that two of the three most common songs for the Onett stage are the town themes for Mother 1.

For two, and I'm not kidding about this, there is a fully modelled baseball field in front of the camera where it can never be seen in game. There isn't a baseball field anywhere in Earthbound, let alone Onett. Why is it there, and why is it still part of the stage?

For three, the layout is weird. Fourside is like an artist's interpretation of Fourside, taking place on a nameless building. Onett is built more like a straight rip from the game. So why are we on the Drug Store, with two buildings on either side that aren't near the Drug Store? And the Drug Store is also isn't far enough south relative to Ness' house.

Finally, thanks to Ani for this one, but why are the Runaway Five here? You don't see them until Twoson! Heck, they don't even play music or anything, so it's hard to even tell it's them! But if this was a Podunk stage, that could have been a Devil Car that was changed to the Runaway Five late in development.

There are other pieces to the theory, but these are the most important bits to the theory.
- Ness having his shirt longer on one side than on the other (which is a clear nod to Ninten).
- All of the Mother 1 music
- Magicant stage
- Even more Mother 1 music
- Magicant as one of the backgrounds of the stage builder
- Ruined Zoo in Subspace Emmissary

And now this.
I would not be surprised if this theory was real, we know there's a lot of stages that don't make the cut or get changed before release.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
- Ness having his shirt longer on one side than on the other (which is a clear nod to Ninten).
- Magicant stage

And now this.
I would not be surprised if this theory was real, we know there's a lot of stages that don't make the cut or get changed before release.
Well, what I think is that Podunk was changed to Onett because Mother 1 hadn't released internationally by that point, and Onett had a similar aesthetic to Podunk, so it was an easy edit. He already had the Japanese exclusive Fire Emblem characters. He probably didn't want to alienate Western players too much with a stage from a game they've never played.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I think Donkey Kong Country was missing too, but EarthBound was the only franchise on there to not have any presence on the Switch whatsoever.

Well there’s Secret of Mana too but that’s Square so...

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
I think Donkey Kong Country was missing too, but EarthBound was the only franchise on there to not have any presence on the Switch whatsoever.

Well there’s Secret of Mana too but that’s Square so...
I've heard DK Country is also notoriously hard to emulate properly. If Nintendo doesn't have the source code to Donkey Kong Country anymore... that might be a cause for delay.

Edit: I actually know for a fact Nintendo doesn't have the source code. That's why the Game Boy ports of DKC feel weird. Even by then, Rare had lost the source code for the games

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

- Magicant stage

And now this.
These are a lot of nods to Mother 1. There was also that Ninten and EVE reference in the 50 fact extravaganza for Smash WiiU? The Anigriffin The Anigriffin or Teochard Teochard correct me if I'm wrong there too lol.

D

Deleted member

Yep. Don't forget that the Devil's Car was also a sticker in Brawl!
Exactly. And Ninten was a sticker in Brawl, and tied for the largest non-playable Mother character sticker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Exactly. And Ninten was a sticker in Brawl, and tied for the largest non-playable Mother character sticker.
I think he was tied for the largest sticker, period. Of course, the person he tied with would be Jeff.

D

Deleted member

I think he was tied for the largest sticker, period. Of course, the person he tied with would be Jeff.
The Mother character who was an assist trophy.

And Ninten received representation in Smash 4 through the Magicant stage.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
The Mother character who was an assist trophy.

And Ninten received representation in Smash 4 through the Magicant stage.
And a few other things carried over from Melee and Brawl.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the version of Starman we see as an assist in Wii U is actually technically from Mother 1.

D

Deleted member

And a few other things carried over from Melee and Brawl.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the version of Starman we see as an assist in Wii U is actually technically from Mother 1.
Yep, he's the Mother 1 Starman specifically. It's proven to by how the beams he shoots out are actually PK Beam - PK Beam alpha - gamma when he starts out, and PK Beam omega when he goes crazy and shoots it all over the place.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Yep, he's the Mother 1 Starman specifically. It's proven to by how the beams he shoots out are actually PK Beam - PK Beam alpha - gamma when he starts out, and PK Beam omega when he goes crazy and shoots it all over the place.
Anyone else find it odd that it's Mother 3 without the assist?

D

Deleted member

Good lord there’s a lot happening in here today.

Duster got snubbed. Poor guy isn’t even a player icon.

#justiceforduster
Duster should've at the very least been an assist.

#justiceforduster

If we somehow got Ninten as one of the FP characters and Duster as separate DLC though....

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. Maybe it could be because Mother 3 isn't localized yet.
Didn't stop Magicant from being a stage or Ruined Zoo from being based off Podunk Zoo.

Good lord there’s a lot happening in here today.

Duster got snubbed. Poor guy isn’t even a player icon.

#justiceforduster
Why not have some fun here while we wait for E3?

Honestly, I'd support a Duster assist.

D

Deleted member

Didn't stop Magicant from being a stage or Ruined Zoo from being based off Podunk Zoo.

Why not have some fun here while we wait for E3?

Honestly, I'd support a Duster assist.
Then in that case, yeah, that is pretty suspicious.

And yeah, this thread is so much fun lol.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Then in that case, yeah, that is pretty suspicious.

And yeah, this thread is so much fun lol.
I mean, I have a college final in the morning, but I also know it was a project final and I'm just going to be sitting on my phone tomorrow anyways so why not be here?

PSA: I have just received word a new update to Smash Ultimate: Version 3.1.0 is coming this weekend. Make sure to back up your replays over the next few days.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll say this again. Smash Ultimate Version 3.1.0 coming this weekend. BACK UP ALL REPLAYS NOW BEFORE THEY ARE LOST.

Link's Awakening was Mother 4 all along.
Yeah, no wonder Itoi said he wasn't gonna make a Mother 4, because Aonuma did it for him!

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
PSA: I have just received word a new update to Smash Ultimate: Version 3.1.0 is coming this weekend. Make sure to back up your replays over the next few days.
Joke’s on you. I have no replays.

Exactly. Btw good luck on the final!

Oh and another thing, this was shown in the thread a while back:

What if I told you Link was Ninten in disguise this whole time? :X Files theme plays:

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, no wonder Itoi said he wasn't gonna make a Mother 4, because Aonuma did it for him!
Funny thing, iirc, Link's Awakening was the first Zelda Aonuma ever worked on. I think he was a dungeon designer for that game. Far from the head of the series he is now.

That's why I think it's interesting that he chose to remake his first game now in this artstyle.

Top Bottom