• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Sounds better than my Podunk Zoo idea heh.

I'd kill for Mt Itoi though. Part of me is wondering if spoilery characters like Giegue, Porky, and Fassad were saved for later for a Mother spirit board or something. I dunno. I'll brainstorm for a bit.
Thank you and oh my god, you're so fricking right. Seriously, I never thought about this until now, THIS WOULD MAKE SO MUCH SENSE.

Assuming the spirit board for Ninten has the same ammount of spirits as Joker's (11), the spirits could be:
- Mick (Neutral)
- Ninten's father (Neutral)
- Pippi (Attack)
- Starman Jr. (Attack)
- Giegue (Shield)
- Pokey (Neutral)
- Tony (Shield)
- Mani Mani Statue (Grab)
- Ness' Nightmare (Attack)
- Fassad (Attack)
- Porky (Grab)

Some of these battles would use the new stage, while the others would tend to use the new tracks.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Thank you and oh my god, you're so fricking right. Seriously, I never thought about this until now, THIS WOULD MAKE SO MUCH SENSE.

Assuming the spirit board for Ninten has the same ammount of spirits as Joker's (11), the spirits could be:
- Mick (neutral)
- Ninten's father (neutral)
- Pippi (attack)
- Starman Jr. (attack)
- Giegue (shield)
- Pokey (neutral)
- Tony (shield)
- Mani Mani Statue (grab)
- Ness' Nightmare (attack)
- Fassad (attack)
- Porky (grab)

Some of these battles would use the new stage, while the others would tend to use the new tracks.
Poor Tony. I'd love to see him in game though. I'm glad I don't sound completely off my rocker heh.

Oh **** Porky and Giegue could actually function as evolution spirits too if they want to go all out. Doubtful in Giegue's case, but his spectral form being in the game would be so awesome. Hell him just being a spirit would.

Some other characters could be King, Wess, and Rope Snake since for some reason he doesn't have a spirit. Since Ramblin Evil Mushroom and Master Belch are spirits, generic enemies such as the Devil Car, Little Saucer and Pigmask could also get spirits. Those three actually were stickers in Brawl as well.

Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 8.22.39 PM.png

D

Deleted member

Poor Tony. I'd love to see him in game though. I'm glad I don't sound completely off my rocker heh.

Oh **** Porky and Giegue could actually function as evolution spirits too if they want to go all out. Doubtful in Giegue's case, but his spectral form being in the game would be so awesome. Hell him just being a spirit would.

Some other characters could be King, Wess, and Rope Snake since for some reason he doesn't have a spirit. Since Ramblin Evil Mushroom and Master Belch are spirits, generic enemies such as the Devil Car, Little Saucer and Pigmask could also get spirits. Those three actually were stickers in Brawl as well.

View attachment 210693
Pretty much everyone on this list who aren't already spirits could be spirits added along with Ninten.

- Mick (Neutral)
- Ninten's father (Neutral)
- Pippi (Attack)
- Starman Jr. (Attack)
- Giegue (Shield)
- Pokey (Neutral)
- Tony (Shield)
- Mani Mani Statue (Grab)
- Ness' Nightmare (Attack)
- Fassad (Attack)
- Porky (Grab)

I was thinking Queen Mary and R7038XX could also potentially be spirits added along with Ninten.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Pretty much everyone on this list who aren't already spirits could be spirits added along with Ninten.

I was thinking Queen Mary and R7038XX could also potentially be spirits added along with Ninten.
Oh jeez how did I forgot about Queen Mary?

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408

View attachment 210693
I forgot about this list! Yeah! Enemies like the Devil Car, Little Saucer and Pigmask would actually make more sense, as they have previously appeared in Smash as a sticker!

Also, to think that even in Brawl, Ninten was one of the most powerful MOTHER / Earthbound stickers.

Speaking of MOTHER, I made another MOTHER stage, basically recreating the title screen. I posted the one that I showed to you guys along with the new one that I made. So if any of you guys wanna download it or at least give it a "Yeah!" (btw, I like that it's a "yeah" instead of something regular like a "like") then here it is!

MOTHER stage by Dib.png
Ninten stage by Dib.png

Sorry for the horrible quality, I use my laptop's camera cuz it's the quickest way to take pictures.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I was so busy yesterday, I wasn't able to check in this thread. But yes, happy 420 Mother 3 day!

D

Deleted member

I forgot about this list! Yeah! Enemies like the Devil Car, Little Saucer and Pigmask would actually make more sense, as they have previously appeared in Smash as a sticker!

Also, to think that even in Brawl, Ninten was one of the most powerful MOTHER / Earthbound stickers.

Speaking of MOTHER, I made another MOTHER stage, basically recreating the title screen. I posted the one that I showed to you guys along with the new one that I made. So if any of you guys wanna download it or at least give it a "Yeah!" (btw, I like that it's a "yeah" instead of something regular like a "like") then here it is!

View attachment 210737View attachment 210738

Sorry for the horrible quality, I use my laptop's camera cuz it's the quickest way to take pictures.
I will give these a hell yeah, here and now.

I was so busy yesterday, I wasn't able to check in this thread. But yes, happy 420 Mother 3 day!
Oh my god

420 is why Mother 3 hasn't been localized yet!!!

D

Deleted member

Yessssss I have obtained the Magic Fry Pan

Now onto the Star pendant.

Also, do you guys level up to 99 before you enter Magicant of after you exit it?

I got to level 99 before proceeding to Magicant once and it was a mistake.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You know, I have to hand it to you who support this thread- you really keep Ninten on the forefront, and front page, literally.

I don't support him, as much fun as I used to have with Ness and now have with Lucas. I think this is actually one of the worst character options they could choose, for almost any given reason. But you as a community, you deserve props for keeping up conversation and a simmer on the character collective. Kudos.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Am so dumb that I forgot to say this but.

Happy Mother 3 anniversary!

You know, I have to hand it to you who support this thread- you really keep Ninten on the forefront, and front page, literally.

I don't support him, as much fun as I used to have with Ness and now have with Lucas. I think this is actually one of the worst character options they could choose, for almost any given reason. But you as a community, you deserve props for keeping up conversation and a simmer on the character collective. Kudos.
I'm glad that even as a non-fan, you respect the people who do wanna see him in!
Even though I don't know how knowledgable you are about Earthbound to think that way about the character, I respect your opinion and I respext that you respect us! :ness:

What are y'all's favorite regular enemy in the Mother series?
MOTHER / Earthbound Beginnings: Mr. Bat, Skunk and Stray Dog (and pretty much all variations of it, but only the sprite of the 25th anniversary patch version)
MOTHER 2 / Earthbound: Loaded Dice, Desert Wolf and Guardian Hieroglyph
MOTHER 3: Walking Bushie, Battery Man and Chilly Dog

There's SO many enemies in the MOTHER series, with returning ones from previous game that even have different variations. I really love it when they do that. But yeh, I can't say only ONE that I like cuz I like the design of all of these enemies!

Also, for all of you who wanna know how the Stray Dog looks in the 25th anniversary edition patch, here it is. I love this patch.

Stray Dog.png

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm glad that even as a non-fan, you respect the people who do wanna see him in!
Even though I don't know how knowledgable you are about Earthbound to think that way about the character, I respect your opinion and I respext that you respect us! :ness:
I am of the many who think Ninten would be a great skin for Ness. That seems like a role he should already have, honestly.

But as for my understanding of Earthbound- not much. I bought it for Wii U, never beat it. Enjoyed it greatly, though. If I ever get to unpack all my boxes, my Wii U will be hooked up again, to play many games I bought from the Sm4sh sales. Basically, all of them.

D

Deleted member

Am so dumb that I forgot to say this but.

Happy Mother 3 anniversary!

MOTHER / Earthbound Beginnings: Mr. Bat, Skunk and Stray Dog (and pretty much all variations of it, but only the sprite of the 25th anniversary patch version)
MOTHER 2 / Earthbound: Loaded Dice, Desert Wolf and Guardian Hieroglyph
MOTHER 3: Walking Bushie, Battery Man and Chilly Dog

There's SO many enemies in the MOTHER series, with returning ones from previous game that even have different variations. I really love it when they do that. But yeh, I can't say only ONE that I like cuz I like the design of all of these enemies!

Also, for all of you who wanna know how the Stray Dog looks in the 25th anniversary edition patch, here it is. I love this patch.

View attachment 210933
That's a really well made patch, lol. And nice enemy picks! For me, they are:
Mother 1- Foureyes, Cerebrum, and the New Age Retro Hippie
Earthbound - Territorial Oak, Uncontrollable Sphere, and the Care Free Bomb
Mother 3 - Rhinocerocket (dunno if I even spelt that correctly lmao), Monkalrus, and the Hippo Launcher

(and no, a Ninten skin for Ness is a really bad idea IMO)

If I had to pick one, I always found the dogs guarding the factory in EB0 to be very memorable. Dunno why.
Well hey, the dance was the best ever. Mother 1 by far has the best dancing in the Mother series.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Probably the joint smoking crow in Mother 1. Kinda dissapointed that it’s not in the localization since I find it hilarious.

For EB I always liked the Manly Fish, the Wetnosaur, and the Mad Ducks

And M3, I love the Chimeras. Especially the mechanical ones. My fave is probably the Mecha Lions.

D

Deleted member

Probably the joint smoking crow in Mother 1. Kinda dissapointed that it’s not in the localization since I find it hilarious.

For EB I always liked the Manly Fish, the Wetnosaur, and the Mad Ducks

And M3, I love the Chimeras. Especially the mechanical ones. My fave is probably the Mecha Lions.
How could I forget the Manly Fish....

also, I think I solved the riddle. I know what Mad Duck Mad Duck 's username is based off of now!

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
I am of the many who think Ninten would be a great skin for Ness. That seems like a role he should already have, honestly.

But as for my understanding of Earthbound- not much. I bought it for Wii U, never beat it. Enjoyed it greatly, though. If I ever get to unpack all my boxes, my Wii U will be hooked up again, to play many games I bought from the Sm4sh sales. Basically, all of them.
That's nice to hear! And while I would probably not mind Ninten as a skin. Given the situation, him being a unique fighter or an echo for DLC would be more possible.
While I love the idea of a new and unique Mother rep, I would not mind him being an echo of Ness or Lucas with some differences in some moves and all specials being different.

Someone already made a really cool Ninten echo fighter concept after all, replacing PK Flash with PK Freeze and PK Fire with PK Beam and all that!

How could I forget the Manly Fish....

also, I think I solved the riddle. I know what Mad Duck Mad Duck 's username is based off of now!
GASP

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That's nice to hear! And while I would probably not mind Ninten as a skin. Given the situation, him being a unique fighter or an echo for DLC would be more possible.
While I love the idea of a new and unique Mother rep, I would not mind him being an echo of Ness or Lucas with some differences in some moves and all specials being different.

Someone already made a really cool Ninten echo fighter concept after all, replacing PK Flash with PK Freeze and PK Fire with PK Beam and all that!
I'm just curious- why do you think that, "given the situation," we would more likely have Ninten as DLC unique fighter? It must be incredibly hard to justify the majority of gamers paying for Ninten as a separate character- considering he looks very similar to Ness, and most people only know Ness from Smash.
Instead, a one dollar alt costume, many might say, "sure."

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I'm just curious- why do you think that, "given the situation," we would more likely have Ninten as DLC unique fighter? It must be incredibly hard to justify the majority of gamers paying for Ninten as a separate character- considering he looks very similar to Ness, and most people only know Ness from Smash.
Instead, a one dollar alt costume, many might say, "sure."
People bought Roy in Smash 4 and all he is to the vast majority of people is Red-Haired Marth.

Also I don’t think they’re gonna sell alt costumes, so that’s kinda not really an option for him.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
People bought Roy in Smash 4 and all he is to the vast majority of people is Red-Haired Marth.

Also I don’t think they’re gonna sell alt costumes, so that’s kinda not really an option for him.
Well, you not thinking its an option doesnt mean it isnt an option.
Yes, people bought Roy, sure- but Ninten looks almost identical to Ness (Roy just has a similar structure, build wise).
Roy was also a veteran, so it's a pretty moot point.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Yes, people bought Roy, sure- but Ninten looks almost identical to Ness (Roy just has a similar structure, build wise).
Pretty sure Sakurai wouldn’t allow some characters to have more than 8 alts when he wants every character balanced. An echo would make more sense.

He’d also come with a stage, spirits and music, so there’s a bit more incentive there than just a character.

D

Deleted member

Actually, they can use Ninten's official Mother 1 Japanese commercial design, which shows him wearing a red, white, and blue striped shirt with a bandana, or they can redesign him.

Plus, he looks similar to Ness in the same way Pichu looks similar to Pikachu, Marth to Lucina, Pit to Dark Pit, Mario to Dr. Mario, Link to Young Link and Toon Link - in, yes, they may have similar designs, but enough to be distinguishable.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Pretty sure Sakurai wouldn’t allow some characters to have more than 8 alts when he wants every character balanced. An echo would make more sense.

He’d also come with a stage, spirits and music, so there’s a bit more incentive there than just a character.
I don't think youre being honest with yourself about the overall nature of Earthbound, especially a character that
...and an echo wouldn't come with a stage, music, spirits, because echoes, if we get anymore at all, were stated to not take up the DLC packs.

As far as wanting every character 'balanced,' adding more alts doesnt unbalance a character- that's a term used for gameplay.
There's no actual reason we could not have more alts to characters. Hell, it could be a free in an update to the game in the future, with more alts for each character.

In other words, it makes more sense to you, but I don't see where from this statement of sense resides.

D

Deleted member

Here's why Ninten being an alt is not accurate to the game he is from -

In Mother 1, Ninten doesn't use any PSI attacks, while Ness does. Heck, Ness and Lucas have more similarities than Ninten does with Ness!

For a moveset, Ninten can use PK beam as his neutral b (a move he learns from Ana), a PSI controlled boomerang as his side b, 4th-D-Slip as his up b, and either PK Shield or telepathy as his down b. For a final smash, it can be either him, Ana, and Loid singing the 8 melodies, or using EVE.
Plus, there are no yo-yos, PK Flash, or Starstorm in Mother 1, so, again, the only thing justifying why he'd work as an alt for Ness is "they look similar," which can be resolved by either using Ninten's Mother 1 Japanese commercial design or giving him a redesign overall.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Actually, they can use Ninten's official Mother 1 Japanese commercial design, which shows him wearing a red, white, and blue striped shirt with a bandana, or they can redesign him.

Plus, he looks similar to Ness in the same way Pichu looks similar to Pikachu, Marth to Lucina, Pit to Dark Pit, Mario to Dr. Mario, Link to Young Link and Toon Link - in, yes, they may have similar designs, but enough to be distinguishable.
Here's why Ninten being an alt is not accurate to the game he is from -

Plus, there are no yo-yos, PK Flash, or Starstorm in Mother 1, so, again, the only thing justifying why he'd work as an alt for Ness is "they look similar," which can be resolved by either using Ninten's Mother 1 Japanese commercial design or giving him a redesign overall.
It's not that "they look similar," its that they have the exact same build, the exact same face, and wear the exact same clothes, sans coloring and a scarf. The alt colors for Ness have greater variation to the original Ness, than Ninten does from Ness in base form.
Characters not looking different enough is an actual thing- it's why Fox was not used in Melee and Falco was instead.
I just think you're overlooking obvious statements with fan hype. It's fine to not be realistic, but don't try to tell me that you are being realistic.
Unless we get a NEW (not port) mother game, which seems improbable given that we were told it wont happen, there's not an easy way to justify Ninten being a realistic pick as anything but an alt.

If your argument is that Ninten cannot do anything Ness can do, then you're only proving your own point even further as to why he won't get in at all. Lucas was included heavily based on Ness. If Ness cannot even reuse assets already used, he's fully useless except to the handful of people who already know him. If you really think that Ninten can get in as a fully unique character, and that the time would be money well spent, then I don't know what numbers you are using.

Again, fine to be a fan, being delusional doesn't help the case at all.

D

Deleted member

It's not that "they look similar," its that they have the exact same build, the exact same face, and wear the exact same clothes, sans coloring and a scarf. The alt colors for Ness have greater variation to the original Ness, than Ninten does from Ness in base form.
Characters not looking different enough is an actual thing- it's why Fox was not used in Melee and Falco was instead.
I just think you're overlooking obvious statements with fan hype. It's fine to not be realistic, but don't try to tell me that you are being realistic.
Unless we get a NEW (not port) mother game, which seems improbable given that we were told it wont happen, there's not an easy way to justify Ninten being a realistic pick as anything but an alt.

If your argument is that Ninten cannot do anything Ness can do, then you're only proving your own point even further as to why he won't get in at all. Lucas was included heavily based on Ness. If Ness cannot even reuse assets already used, he's fully useless except to the handful of people who already know him. If you really think that Ninten can get in as a fully unique character, and that the time would be money well spent, then I don't know what numbers you are using.

Again, fine to be a fan, being delusional doesn't help the case at all.
Well, it seems you didn't read the post I quoted.

For a moveset, Ninten can use PK beam as his neutral b (a move he learns from Ana), a PSI controlled boomerang as his side b, 4th-D-Slip as his up b, and either PK Shield or telepathy as his down b. For a final smash, it can be either him, Ana, and Loid singing the 8 melodies, or using EVE.

I bring up the point that he can't do anything that Ness does to show why he isn't good for a Ness alt, and then I also showed what he can do, which you conveniently chose to ignore.

I even showed how his design can be further distinguished, and the FE characters also have similar builds.

Everything else from you is "don't be delusional," which is the result of you not reading or considering any of my points.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, it seems you didn't read the post I quoted.

I bring up the point that he can't do anything that Ness does to show why he isn't good for a Ness alt, and then I also showed what he can do, which you conveniently chose to ignore.

I even showed how his design can be further distinguished, and the FE characters also have similar builds.

Everything else from you is "don't be delusional," which is the result of you not reading or considering any of my points.
We're at an impasse Sir, because this doesn't make any sense from a marketing and sales perspective. I'm an active and willing potential supporter coming into the thread trying to understand why Ninten makes any sense, and you've completely made me believe that he has absolutely no shot. You feel I have not read your points, and I feel similarly about you to me.

I came in to say that this community was strong. I guess that's where the compliment can end.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We're at an impasse Sir, because this doesn't make any sense from a marketing and sales perspective. I'm an active and willing potential supporter coming into the thread trying to understand why Ninten makes any sense, and you've completely made me believe that he has absolutely no shot. You feel I have not read your points, and I feel similarly about you to me.

I came in to say that this community was strong. I guess that's where the compliment can end.
My dude, you chose to ignore our posts and convince yourself why Ninten doesn't have a shot, and you don't even have accurate counter points to mine.

You're using the straw man argument, which, when used, shows the argument is done because you don't have anything to add other than attacking the other side...instead of attacking the actual argument itself.

And, if we really disgust you that much, the door's over there. I'm not forcing you to leave. but you know what to do if you despise us.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't think youre being honest with yourself about the overall nature of Earthbound, especially a character that
...and an echo wouldn't come with a stage, music, spirits, because echoes, if we get anymore at all, were stated to not take up the DLC packs.

As far as wanting every character 'balanced,' adding more alts doesnt unbalance a character- that's a term used for gameplay.
There's no actual reason we could not have more alts to characters. Hell, it could be a free in an update to the game in the future, with more alts for each character.

In other words, it makes more sense to you, but I don't see where from this statement of sense resides.
There was still a deliberate design decision to have every character have the exact same of palette swaps, even leading to the removal of stuff like Mario's Fire Mario palette. Maybe balanced isn't the term, but it's unlikely that they would add alts unless they can come up with one per character.

Not sure what this meant?
If your argument is that Ninten cannot do anything Ness can do, then you're only proving your own point even further as to why he won't get in at all.
It's not that Ninten can't do what Ness can or vice versa. Rather, there are many key differences that set them apart, like those that set Ness and Lucas apart. So the potential is certainly there to make Ninten a unique character, like Lucas is (hell, if it were up to me I'd say Ninten could be even more different than Ness than what Lucas is).

I will concede that, speaking about DLC, it might not make sense to sell Ninten as that could lead to backlash over their perceived sameness. But if speaking about a hypothetical Smash 6, Ninten could definitely be a unique newcomer.

There's also the possibility that Ninten could be an Echo (even a Ken style one), either in a next game or as DLC. That might be more probable, given the current direction for Smash development. I'm sure that, barring a Richter style borderline alt deal, none of us here would mind.

D

Deleted member

Who are everyone's favorite party members in the Mother games?

For me, it's Loid in Mother 1, Jeff in Earthbound, and Duster in Mother 3.

TheBeastHimself

I can understand both sides of this argument, but at the end of the day crazy **** happen in Smash all the time so Ninten joining the roster as a unique isn't an outright impossibility. There are a number of directions they can take for both his appearance and move-set.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Def Duster in 3, dude is just so cool and different from anything in any videogame.

In Earthbound it's probably Jeff because I just relate to him being a stupid nerd and also I like cold weathers.

And in Earthbound Zero it would be Teddy, I like his young gangster rock n roll aesthetic and he stands out from the kids of the party.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
I'd say Groucho from EarthBound Beginnings, the Dali Clock from EarthBound, and the Gently Weeping Guitar from Mother 3.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

M1 - Definety Loid. Love the little spaz.
EB - Paula actually. I used to dislike her, but she’s really grown on me over the years.
M3 - Does Claus count? :4pacman:

TheBeastHimself

Mother 1 - Teddy. His whole vibe is a complete contrast from Ninten and the others, and he has a pretty fleshed out backstory compared to most characters in this game. His motives for helping out is a little more clear than the other party members, as he's trying to avenge his parents.

Mother 2 - Poo. Poo is a character that intrigues me the most out of all the party members. He's such a mysterious character... I want to learn more about Dalaam's culture, and get a chance to see Poo's family. After all, he is a prince. Also, Poo trained with the Star Master and got the best move in the entire game!

Mother 3 - Salsa. I loved playing as this cute li'l monkey. I thought his battle techniques were pretty interesting (I'm talking about those moves like Mimic). Also, Salsa had a very tragic, well crafted story that I loved watching unfold in Chapter 3.

Top Bottom