• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ Finder - Tournament Finder Updated (10/8) See new thread for Brawl Rankings

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I know that dosn't gaurentee me 5th but it at least puts me on the board dosn't it? I'm not even on the board as of right now.
Yeah, your definitely guaranteed on the ranks just keep it up and we'll figure out where when the time comes at the end of October.

Atomsk is spot on when it comes to where you could possibly be as of right now.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
look at when wes got ***** by hax in melee wen his wrist was broke... wen he lost and complained about it they still didnt let him john and get away wit it.... and he had a cast on... if u didnt want to just accept the loss u shouldnt have played..... therefore N O J O H N S... thank u
wtf is this garbage? How Wes beat anybody with a broken wrist is beyond me. Maybe he just wanted to play for FUN because he has FUN playing in tournaments? Do you honestly think all of Cactuar's losses are from him playing perfectly trying his absolute hardest to win? No. IF I go all Ganondorf in a Brawl tournament and get last does that mean you get to brag as if you ***** me using Meta Knight when I planked as much as possible and counterpicked a gay stage in the set? Of COURSE not. Try playing a tournament match with a BLINDFOLD on and then see how well you play. You OBVIOUSLY will not be playing well. spamming

no johns
no johns
no johns
no johns
no johns

is dumb as HELL.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Beating Blue and Kai won't get you 5th though. Even with this past weekend's accomplishments you have to be able be decently consistent with the rankers. Spam, M2K, Atomsk, Blackwaltz have done what you did plus more and Inui and I have done some stuff too.
I know I've done stuff, but you've done...?

Atomsk said:
am i a panlist?
Learn how to type.

JFox

Smash Hero
I have an idea. If you want to play for fun, enter under a different name. This way you can still enjoy yourself, and whatever you accomplish wont count for or against you in the rankings.

Example: So say Inui goes to a rutgers weekly, but doesnt really feel too into playing like a f*ggot, and just wants to have some fun. He enters as a different name, and he is free to do whatever he wants. If he beats someone in the process who is noteworthy, it wont count cuz he chose to enter as someone other than himself. If he loses to someone shi tty, it wont matter cuz he will have entered as someone else. This also means that that tournament won't count at all towards the ranking, so when he is looking to qualify with at least 3 (or whatever) tournaments, this one does not count. This also allows people that don't want to be ranked for various reasons to dodge the rankings.

This is to keep people from enjoying tournaments, but also to keep people from only counting their victories and not their losses. If you, for any reason, feel that you will not be playing at your best, don't make johns, just don't enter as yourself. That sounds pretty reasonible IMO. The best thing about this system is that you can actually say "no johns" cuz there is really no excuse if you have an option.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
I have an idea. If you want to play for fun, enter under a different name. This way you can still enjoy yourself, and whatever you accomplish wont count for or against you in the rankings.

So say Inui goes to a rutgers weekly, but doesnt really feel too into playing like a ***, and just wants to have some fun. He enters as a different name, and he is free to do whatever he wants. If he beats someone in the process who is noteworthy, it wont count cuz he chose to enter as someone other than himself. If he loses to someone ****ty, it wont matter cuz he will have entered as someone else. This also means that that tournament won't count at all towards the ranking, so when he is looking to qualify with at least 3 (or whatever) tournaments, this one does not count.

This is to keep people from enjoying tournaments, but also to keep people from only counting their victories and not their losses. If you, for any reason, feel that you will not be playing at your best, don't make johns, just don't enter as yourself. That sounds pretty reasonible IMO.
this is a stupid idea. If you go, go to ****ing win. When you show up, it **** well counts. The Giants can't go to the pats and say: "Hey, yeah. We're the pirates today, we're just not into it this week.:

JFox

Smash Hero
Some people don't wanna take every ****in weekly so seriously. Sometimes, people really do wanna have some fun with the game. I mean I understand if you are going to a major, but rutgers holds tourneys every week. making someone play the game to win gets stale week after week.

The football argument was horrible. They are payed to compete, and there is such a thing as the offseason.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Some people don't wanna take every ****in weekly so seriously. Sometimes, people really do wanna have some fun with the game. I mean I understand if you are going to a major, but rutgers holds tourneys every week. making someone play the game to win gets stale week after week.

The football argument was horrible. They are payed to compete, and there is such a thing as the offseason.
You're right, we play tournaments for ****ing crackers and cheese crumbles. No money involved. Ever. Not once.

If you're gonna show up and pay 10$ to enter something, have the decency to play to win. You don't see Azen saying this ****. If you can't be consistent, start playing craps. I don't give a **** with randomscrub number 11 beats mewtwogod****edking of not. I don't wanna hear the johns. Don't take away from other people's wins with this crap. If you enter, you're you.

In fact, I say we institute a rule that if someone tries this ****, they be banned from that season's rankings.

On to new business. ****ing Heroes, yo. get to it

JFox

Smash Hero
You're missing the point DM. If someone wants to compete, they do so, and when they lose, theres literally nothing that can say as an excuse cuz there is an option. Now if there is no option available, people can give the excuse that they were sandbagging. This gives a window for people to claim their losses as sandbagging, while they take all credit for their wins.

Rarely ever is anyone really gonna enter in as anyone other than themselves because they want to be ranked, and if they do something noteworthy, they don't want it overlooked. All this does is eliminate the excuses. And if someone doesn't enter as themself, they don't benefit in any way whatsoever.

I don't see how someone so uninvolved in a situation can be so stubborn and strong spirited about something that doesn't involve them. True, it doesn't involve me either, but then again I'm not getting worked up over a suggestion. You are practically calling me a witch because I had a good idea. LOL

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I was gonna watch Heroes tonight, but decided not to since I missed the previous season. New season of L&A:SVU tomorrow!

Oh, and someone claiming they sandbagged a tournament loss is irrelevant. If someone doesn't feel like playing to win, they shouldn't enter the tournament. Play friendlies or something.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
O_O Jeebus....was DM always this angry? *blinks* I'm a bit thrown off....lol.
:D

heroes is the best ****ing show on television
Get at Lost, bro. trounces it.

You're missing the point DM. If someone wants to compete, they do so, and when they lose, theres literally nothing that can say as an excuse cuz there is an option. Now if there is no option available, people can give the excuse that they were sandbagging. This gives a window for people to claim their losses as sandbagging, while they take all credit for their wins.

Rarely ever is anyone really gonna enter in as anyone other than themselves because they want to be ranked, and if they do something noteworthy, they don't want it overlooked. All this does is eliminate the excuses. And if someone doesn't enter as themself, they don't benefit in any way whatsoever.

I don't see how someone so uninvolved in a situation can be so stubborn and strong spirited about something that doesn't involve them. True, it doesn't involve me either, but then again I'm not getting worked up over a suggestion. You are practically calling me a witch because I had a good idea. LOL
Yes, and you will get stoned if you keep it up.

Seriously, you're giving whiny pros an out. It's gay. If you're not gonna pay your best, stay the hell home.

I was gonna watch Heroes tonight, but decided not to since I missed the previous season. New season of L&A:SVU tomorrow!

Oh, and someone claiming they sandbagged a tournament loss is irrelevant. If someone doesn't feel like playing to win, they shouldn't enter the tournament. Play friendlies or something.
Did you watch season 1? If you did, you can totally get caught up in a 20-30 min recap on nbc.com. my gf did, and she was on point tonight.

And YES @ new L&W. Did you ever see the one with Robin Williams? Awesome.

Lastly: agreed. johnsjohnsjohns. I don't care if wes had a broken hand or wrist. ****, I don't care if his back was broken. If you play you get ranked. Teams won't let a soccer player with a bum leg play, would they? No, cause soccer isn't a sport. (Here it comes. come get me foot***s.)

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I haven't seen heroes at all, except for the two minutes I watched tonight, halfway through. I'll check out the recap and catch up from there. There's too much decent stuff on TV and not a lot of time to watch it.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
What if a Meta Knight main wants to go all Ike or something just to see how they'll do? Does anyone intelligent honestly think beating their Ike is honestly the same as beating their Meta Knight?

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=pSI_7lHgCLs

Missing techs in Brawl is funny

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
What if a Meta Knight main wants to go all Ike or something just to see how they'll do? Does anyone intelligent honestly think beating their Ike is honestly the same as beating their Meta Knight?
No, an intelligent person would not think that. Even if they did, who cares?

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Yes, because I'm gangsta like that :p

@ Inui: Did I explain why I lost to Ksizzle when I'd bet 10 bucks I'd beat him anytime after I lost? I'll tell you why, cause I don't john.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Of course it's not the same, but if somebody tries their best to have a serious set with the MK player, is it their fault if he decides to use Ike instead? Should they be penalized for that?

I would say the only situation in which a loss can be excused is if both players agree beforehand that the set is meaningless.

What am I doing in this thread?

dmbrandon

Smash Master
@ Inui: Did I explain why I lost to Ksizzle when I'd bet 10 bucks I'd beat him anytime after I lost? I'll tell you why, cause I don't john.
Johns.

Of course it's not the same, but if somebody tries their best to have a serious set with the MK player, is it their fault if he decides to use Ike instead? Should they be penalized for that?

I would say the only situation in which a loss can be excused is if both players agree beforehand that the set is meaningless.

Even then, no. If you enter, it counts. Hands down. You can't avoid your placements. You can differ and withhold yourself from the list. But that's another train, and you don't have a ticket.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master

No it isn't their fault if he decides to go Ike. But what I'm saying is there is no point in going around bragging saying stuff like "LOLOL I BEAT M2K TRYING HIS DEAREST HARDEST IN TOURNAMENT LOLOL!"

The same thing applies imo if someone is a Dedede main but the entire tournament set they only use jet hammer.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Inui-shutup u dont look at why until its convenient for u, idiot.

Spam- the ? then becomes whether a player is defined by themselves, their mind, and their skill level, or by them playing with their best character. Granted m2k playing capt falcon is prolly a big joke, but if he decides to use falco or some competent character instead of his mk, beating him is still beating m2k. The fact that he didnt use mk does offer a stronger pov of what happened, but it cant take away from the fact that a serious tourny set was won vs an amazing player.

Cp screws people over like this tons of times, people lose because they weren't the char they would like to be in a given situation. **** happens.

I mean a joke is a joke, but a person not being their main doesnt take away the validity of a loss completely.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
*shrugs* if you lose, you lose. Heck, I've lost SO many matches 'cuz I SHOULD have went Peach and didn't. Oh well....screws me over majorly. *shrugs* Chibo didn't john when he got ***** by picking Marth against my Peach on Yoshi's Island. Granted....his Samus might have gotten worse, but you get my point, lol. I lost to Nautilisk or something like that(I can't spell his friggin' name) because I thought I could take his Zelda with my Marth on Yoshi's Island. boy was I wrong. 1-stocked...barely. I should have went Peach, lol. The lost counted....*shrugs*

When Eggm didn't 2-0 me in pools (yeah....I STILL don't understand that one) he didn't john. That is....until I forced him too, lol. I was the only one he didn't 2-0. Who cares if he went Fox on Poke'floats? He didn't apparently...since he did it, lol.

I see everyone's point, but the case is....if they enter the tournament...the results are there. That's like Ken saying "I want to see how I far I can get going all Roy and Gannon." When he got beat, he got beat. I couldn't care if he was going all Pichu....if he loses....it's a loss. He WAS trying his hardest: With that Character.

"Crank That Roy"
"Gimpin' is a Habit"

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
You guys are idiots. This is not professional sports. The outcomes don't matter to a lot of us. I regularly go to tournaments to hang out with people. I really don't give a **** about placing or who I win and lose to. I have never had a problem going random characters when I'm bored. It's 10 dollars. Maybe to you that's a big deal, but to me, it's like paying to go see a movie with friends. You do it for the environment and for the entertainment. A lot of people go to tournaments for this reason, while knowing they have no chance at winning. I have gone to tournaments when I know I'm going to get ***** due to me being sick, having physical ailments, whatever. I could just stay home and not let people take those sets from me because I'm playing poorly, but I ****ing man up and go anyway. I'm not a ***** about my tournament records. I don't go around bragging about every stupid win I have because I understand people have their on and off days, and I don't go around johning about all my losses. I put myself out there because people should have a chance to take sets from me. Consistency is everything in this game, and if I'm not good enough to beat someone while I'm sick or whatever, that's my fault for not being good enough.

Having that knowledge though, beating someone in that condition obviously doesn't mean as much as beating them while they were playing well. You can't go around bragging about beating someone who was clearly not concerned with winning and expect people to take you seriously.

To give a great example of this, Spam never bragged about beating me when I went all Falcon in tournament, or when I went Luigi/Sheik/Falcon vs him out of curiosity. I didn't do it because I wanted an out or something to john about, I just really wanted to use those characters. He never *****ed about me doing that, I never johned about losing the sets. You know who did try and brag about him winning those sets? Inui.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
You guys are idiots. This is not professional sports. The outcomes don't matter to a lot of us. I regularly go to tournaments to hang out with people. I really don't give a **** about placing or who I win and lose to. I have never had a problem going random characters when I'm bored. It's 10 dollars. Maybe to you that's a big deal, but to me, it's like paying to go see a movie with friends. You do it for the environment and for the entertainment. A lot of people go to tournaments for this reason, while knowing they have no chance at winning. I have gone to tournaments when I know I'm going to get ***** due to me being sick, having physical ailments, whatever. I could just stay home and not let people take those sets from me because I'm playing poorly, but I ****ing man up and go anyway. I'm not a ***** about my tournament records. I don't go around bragging about every stupid win I have because I understand people have their on and off days, and I don't go around johning about all my losses. I put myself out there because people should have a chance to take sets from me. Consistency is everything in this game, and if I'm not good enough to beat someone while I'm sick or whatever, that's my fault for not being good enough.

Having that knowledge though, beating someone in that condition obviously doesn't mean as much as beating them while they were playing well. You can't go around bragging about beating someone who was clearly not concerned with winning and expect people to take you seriously.

To give a great example of this, Spam never bragged about beating me when I went all Falcon in tournament, or when I went Luigi/Sheik/Falcon vs him out of curiosity. I didn't do it because I wanted an out or something to john about, I just really wanted to use those characters. He never *****ed about me doing that, I never johned about losing the sets. You know who did try and brag about him winning those sets? Inui.

I am Yes! and I believe teh_spamerer would approve of this message.

Seriously though guys. It's a videogame. Bragging/johnning is silly. So is $hit talking. As a wise man once said and I paraphrase, "let your controller do the talking, not your keyboard."

It's really not worth johnning/bragging. Shake hands, say good game, and move on. If it's all about winning then I'd rather go play something I'm good at. Don't let your ego consume you (fully) guys. I learned not to do that thanks to a good friend.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/ElChibo/sealofapproval.jpg

I am Yes! and I believe teh_spamerer would approve of this message.

Seriously though guys. It's a videogame. Bragging/johnning is silly. So is $hit talking. As a wise man once said and I paraphrase, "let your controller do the talking, not your keyboard."

It's really not worth johnning/bragging. Shake hands, say good game, and move on. If it's all about winning then I'd rather go play something I'm good at. Don't let your ego consume you (fully) guys. I learned not to do that thanks to a good friend.
If its JUST a videogame, why do so many people spend so much of their lives playing it and being on these boards? These arguements have almost nothing to do with the game itself. Smash is a community chris. not jsut a game. No one wants to see their reputation get worse for any reason. Don't kid yourself saying its just a game because its not to alot of people, and probably not to you either.

Top Bottom