• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
will you could be someone like me who actually wants an indie in smash since the beginning like quote or shantae.There are people who wants indies ever during smash 4 speculation just the ballot gave people a real reason for be to more vocal with there support
Eh, I want Pichu in first. Anyone else is simply there for me.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
They don't have one because they're not an actual unified entity. Not all of them make Metroid or retro style games. Further to the point, how are Metroid or Megaman style games not being represented by, you know, Metroid and Megaman reps.
Just because those games honor Metroid, Megaman, Castlevania, etc. doesn't just mean they are those games. These indie games still have their own identity past their callbacks.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I've sort of been meaning to ask you... How is the inclusion of Shovel Knight and his lack of relevance in Japan any different from, say, Marth and Roy in Melee or Lucas in Brawl? Because at the time of those games, they were all Japan Only, with no relevance anywhere outside of Japan.
I don't mean this to be accusatory or even a counter argument, as I pretty much agree with your reasoning, I'm just genuinely curious as to what your take on it is.
It's very different. You are asking a Japanese development team who has the language and culture barrier to accurately portray a character. I won't be surprised if Shovel Knight is slightly different than his portrayal in the West if the rumor pans out.

Plus, they usually aren't thinking of American gamers. That's why Omega stages are for Japanese hardcore players and Western Hardcore are confused on how anyone could play Final Destination only for competitive play.

Little Mac also fits the bill as a retro character.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/0...r-is-very-hot-sakurai-famitsu-column-vol-448/

Sakurai loved the arcade game, and that's why half of Little Mac is from the arcade game instead of the more popular (in the West) NES version.

Plus Japanese developer, Japanese game. The center of this game is Japan.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Guys, I played Mario Maker today.

The demo was 10 mins (Then it shuts off) and it only had the materials from Day 2.

And it was so good. This only makes me even more excited for the real deal.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Quick question, what are the total sales for the Bomberman franchise total?
10 million is the highest verifiable number I can find. Adding some sales numbers together I get 14-15 million total, but 10 is a much more reliable number. Bomberman is very much on the low end of the type of character I see getting in Smash, and definitely not if the franchise doesn't get a revival.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I just check the best selling video game franchises, and shockingly, the Professor Layton franchise has sold more than Bomberman.
Hmm.. :dazwa:

Shouldn't the eyes be shown?
I tried and its way too hard to figure out the scaling.

I used the artwork from my Op (it's the best I found) and the problem is if I scale it that much uniformly, it just isn't wide enough. like it would look so odd that I had to limit the scaling.

and there;s NO WAY I would scale not uniformly.....it really scraps quality.

Plus. most of his artwork aren't wide.

51 pixels is just not enough.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It's very different. You are asking a Japanese development team who has the language and culture barrier to accurately portray a character. I won't be surprised if Shovel Knight is slightly different than his portrayal in the West if the rumor pans out.

Plus, they usually aren't thinking of American gamers. That's why Omega stages are for Japanese hardcore players and Western Hardcore are confused on how anyone could play Final Destination only for competitive play.

Little Mac also fits the bill as a retro character.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/0...r-is-very-hot-sakurai-famitsu-column-vol-448/

Sakurai loved the arcade game, and that's why half of Little Mac is from the arcade game instead of the more popular (in the West) NES version.

Plus Japanese developer, Japanese game. The center of this game is Japan.
Sounds about right to me. Just a point I've seen flying around here and there that I hadn't really seen put to rest yet, appriciate the detailed response.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So in order to think like Sakurai, we gotta think of the Eastern side then...
...Is Captain Rainbow still a thing? I hope it's still a thing. Kinda like to see him in Smash. If only so we have the chance of getting the game here. I mean, I'd buy it. Not sure about everyone else, but I'd like it.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I tried and its way too hard to figure out the scaling.

I used the artwork from my Op (it's the best I found) and the problem is if I scale it that much uniformly, it just isn't wide enough. like it would look so odd that I had to limit the scaling.

and there;s NO WAY I would scale not uniformly.....it really scraps quality.

Plus. most of his artwork aren't wide.

51 pixels is just not enough.
like dis.png

Hows this?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
non uniform scaling......

like I can;t stand how odds it looks. it just seems much better trade-off to scale uniformly and miss the eyes than jsut scraps the scaling to have everything.

btw, you learn these kind of things when doing a resources pack for minecraft because I did one and it;s much harder than it sounds because of these trade-off..

EDIT: and tbh, between the eyes and the M, I would choose the M.....

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
...Is Captain Rainbow still a thing? I hope it's still a thing. Kinda like to see him in Smash. If only so we have the chance of getting the game here. I mean, I'd buy it. Not sure about everyone else, but I'd like it.
Nope Captain Rainbow is a one shot character. Since he didn't get into Brawl he has no chance now IMO. Nick didn't even get a trophy in Smash for Wii U! It was only fat Little Mac if I remember correctly. I'm Playing through the game right now. I can understand why it wasn't localized lol(laughs). It's very 'Japanese' in its humor and story. Would be really difficult to localize.

EDIT: I didn't remember correctly.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11

The Gaming Rainbow is not complete without Rayman!

Give us our purple!
I'm tempted to put Bomberman at purple. But maybe Rayman at dark purple I guess since it's actually at the end of the rainbow.

I got your perfect option here:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Nope Captain Rainbow is a one shot character. Since he didn't get into Brawl he has no chance now IMO. Nick didn't even get a trophy in Smash for Wii U! It was only fat Little Mac if I remember correctly. I'm Playing through the game right now. I can understand why it wasn't localized lol. It's very 'Japanese' in its humor and story. Would be really difficult to localize.
Eh, I mean, to be fair Nintendo has had a history of reviving dead horses. But I guess I'll just be here waiting for that day.

In the meantime I'm going to be see if I can find some old franchise that could work. That's always entertaining to me.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Nope Captain Rainbow is a one shot character. Since he didn't get into Brawl he has no chance now IMO. Nick didn't even get a trophy in Smash for Wii U! It was only fat Little Mac if I remember correctly. I'm Playing through the game right now. I can understand why it wasn't localized lol(laughs). It's very 'Japanese' in its humor and story. Would be really difficult to localize.
Captain Rainbow did get one actually.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
non uniform scaling......

like I can;t stand how odds it looks. it just seems much better trade-off to scale uniformly and miss the eyes than jsut scraps the scaling to have everything.

btw, you learn these kind of things when doing a resources pack for minecraft because I did one and it;s much harder than it sounds because of these trade-off..

EDIT: and tbh, between the eyes and the M, I would choose the M.....
Youre killing me smalls. Its time for some complicated math with mediocre results. BBL

EDIT- Its always the eyes, so I chose the eyes

Last edited:
I'm tempted to put Bomberman at purple. But maybe Rayman at dark purple I guess since it's actually at the end of the rainbow.

Neither has been released in the opposite region.
both are 3rd party
both are popular in their region (Although Jibanyan is popular in both the casual and hardcore audience. . .)

I think we have a winner here.

Chrono.

Actually Captain Rainbow himself is a trophy on the Wii U (the other thing he got was a song)

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So I have this weird theory that I feel has a 50/50 shot of happening. On Monday, maintenance is happening for both versions of Smash 4.

Now what many people don't realize is the final day of PAX is Monday which means it's still going on that day.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but there is a possibility that Shovel Knight may get revealed on Monday. What do ya' guys think?

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I don't think we're getting any reveals Monday. A patch itself is unlikely since 3DS and Wii U update at different times, but we probably won't hear of the ballot characters officially until after it's over.

Last edited:

Strofirko

Smash Master
So I have this weird theory that I feel has a 50/50 shot of happening. On Monday, maintenance is happening for both versions of Smash 4.

Now what many people don't realize is the final day of PAX is Monday which means it's still going on that day.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but there is a possibility that Shovel Knight may get revealed on Monday. What do ya' guys think?
A perfect straw,but too weak to be grasped.

Chrono.

I think ya crazy!

In all seriousness I don't see a reveal happening at PAX and I don't think the maintenance on Monday is anything major either, it's just that, maintenance.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Waiting for new Leak info like:

The wait to killing me man, once the Hype train leaves the station, it feels terrible when it halts.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Bomberman and Rayman are pretty different shades of purple, why not both?

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Man, I just want some Smash news just to confirm/deconfirm the Shovel Knight rumor :urg:. I like picture leaks, but rumors drive me crazy :crazy:.

:troll:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I think the maintenance is just a maintenance to be quite honest.

Yeah, I honestly doubt its anything big. Maybe some balance changes in Smash at the most.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
*waits for the day we get certain Smash DLC stages regardless of the music disconfirmation theory*

*becomes a skeleton*

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So in my usual surfing the internet. I found about a totally awesome show. It's called Tumblr the animated ser I mean Gen Zed.

And by awesome I mean hysterically awful. The animation designs of this show is just awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom