• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
It could be explained by Nintendo having exclusive publishing rights for him in Japan. Amiibos are a great way to push a game.
IIrc the Amiibo is a worldwide release. Seems odd to say "We're publishing it in one region, so every region deserves an amiibo" even though this isnt the first time Nintendo published a non-nintendo game. It's is indeed a possible explanation, but it's not satisfactory in the least. I seriously doubt it's that simple. Especially considering that Shovel Knight is on other platforms world wide.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
YOU KIDS AND YOUR DAMN INDIE GAMES

Old man Slowpoke over here.

backlot

Smash Journeyman
To everyone who said Shovel Knight didn't have enough history with Nintendo to get in Smash: here it is!

First 3rd party amiibo line
First indie amiibo line
First amiibo line based on a game by non-Japanese devs

This is a big deal. It signifies a pretty strong relationship between Yacht Club Games and Nintendo. It is suddenly a lot more difficult to argue that any other indie character is more deserving to be in Smash than Shovel Knight.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Let's laugh at some salty guy because that's always fun
It's funny, but I'd be down for a nintendo style Moba. Nintendo is making apps for mobile devices now so why not have a a console moba and allow viewing matches on a mobile app. Heck, they could make it playable on mobile if they want.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Let's laugh at some salty guy because that's always fun
I find it hilarious but he should realize that if third party characters are such an issue towards Smash, you might wanna start considering a Nintendo-exclusive Smash.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I would like to point out something regarding Amiibo compatibility and all that.

There's never been an Amiibo only compatible with one game. A lot of Amiibos are compatible at worst with their source game, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Maker and Mario Party 10. Chibi-Robo happens to also be usable with Mario Maker and Wooly World if the chart is anything to go by. Now, obviously this is a special case given the speculation, but I wanted to lay to rest the theory that Shovel Knight's Amiibo would only be for Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Yact Club Games probably had the Amiibo planned before getting asked to add Shovel Knight in Smash. They said they had a megaton announcement for the Nintendo version of the game back in late June, so talks with Nintendo about getting a Shovel Knight Amiibo probably started in early June or even earlier than that. I don't think they decided on adding him into Smash around that time, seems to soon to make that decision.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
To everyone who said Shovel Knight didn't have enough history with Nintendo to get in Smash: here it is!

First 3rd party amiibo line
First indie amiibo line
First amiibo line based on a game by non-Japanese devs

This is a big deal. It signifies a pretty strong relationship between Yacht Club Games and Nintendo. It is suddenly a lot more difficult to argue that any other indie character is more deserving to be in Smash than Shovel Knight.
So they're creating "history". ;)

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
"Back in my day, you didn't beg people for money to make a game! YOU DID IT YOURSELF!"

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I just find it funny that when something that is unexpected is leaked, people will be salty. When something unexpected is officially announced, it's hype and less salty. Sometimes I don't get our community XD.

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Said it before and I'll say it again: Shovel Knight is on the rise to becoming a beloved gaming character and franchise. With what it's been able to accomplish in just a year, I'd say the series has a bright future.

FOR SHOVELRY!

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I just find it funny that when something that is unexpected is leaked, people will be salty. When something unexpected is officially announced, it's hype and less salty. Sometimes I don't get our community XD.
Only sometimes?

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Meanwhile shovel knight is now in 2 games.....Runbow(indie smash bors as i call it) has him in his second game appearence
an unlockable granted buttbutt its still something

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
K.Rool thread makes a good point. Nintendo didn't make this. YCG did.

There isn't a Nintendo logo on it. Only their seal of approval.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
IIrc the Amiibo is a worldwide release. Seems odd to say "We're publishing it in one region, so every region deserves an amiibo" even though this isnt the first time Nintendo published a non-nintendo game. It's is indeed a possible explanation, but it's not satisfactory in the least. I seriously doubt it's that simple. Especially considering that Shovel Knight is on other platforms world wide.
It stills helps push the game on Nintendo hardware. Not saying their isn't more, but there doesn't HAVE to be

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
As I stated earlier.

180 turns.

Happens every time.

:4feroy::4ryu::4tlink::4wiifit::4pacman::4duckhunt:

The list goes on. :4shovelknight:

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

So... what can we take from this? Does this pretty much lessen the chances of him being in Smash?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

That's what I've been saying and people have been ignoring me

THIRD PARTY AMIIBOS ARE A THING AND A MAJOR POSSIBILITY. NINTENDO DOESNT NEED TO MAKE AMIIBOS FOLK

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So... what can we take from this? Does this pretty much lessen the chances of him being in Smash?
It means Nintendo didn't make the amiibo which could mean a lot of things.

Khoru

Smash Champion
Meanwhile shovel knight is now in 2 games.....Runbow(indie smash bors as i call it) has him in his second game appearence
an unlockable granted buttbutt its still something
it's speedrunners with indie characters
unless the only part of smash bros you play is the run challenge at the end of smash run, i have no idea how you came to that conclusion

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Okay I need to get this out of the way because this is really itching me, Shovel Knight's exclusiveity to Nintendo consoles was withdrawn a while ago so clearly they don't have that strong of a relationship as we thought.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779

the problem being its been confirmed by Neo Zero that it wasnt the final product we saw

backlot

Smash Journeyman
People can't go around making unlicensed amiibo. Nintendo has to approve them. I'm not sure how this "Nintendo isn't making the Shovel Knight amiibo" thing is relevant.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Isn't Nintendo like the only one out of the big three to not have special content in Shovel Knight? Playstation has a Kratos boss and Microsoft has a Rash boss.

Tama

Smash Apprentice
I will keep you guys up to date as best I can. This is a very unique situation. The main source for this stuff still maintains that there is Shovel Knight Smash DLC. Myself? I have no idea what's up. I have faith in my source, but again, it is all rumour for now. What a bizarre week this has been!

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well see, here's what I think:
Have we checked the Amiibos for Pac-Man, Sonic, or Mega Man yet? They're third party. Do they have the Nintendo seal?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

The box could be a mock-up though. We don't know yet.

Chrono.

I would like to point out something regarding Amiibo compatibility and all that.

There's never been an Amiibo only compatible with one game. A lot of Amiibos are compatible at worst with their source game, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Maker and Mario Party 10. Chibi-Robo happens to also be usable with Mario Maker and Wooly World if the chart is anything to go by. Now, obviously this is a special case given the speculation, but I wanted to lay to rest the theory that Shovel Knight's Amiibo would only be for Shovel Knight.
Yeah but Smash characters always get an amiibo based on their own character art, why would they switch that around now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom