• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, it is neat there's a Geno hack, but it should be removed from the normal official Project M anyway. An actual unique version of Geno would be neat, but eh. The fact they were able to put his model in the game is still cool, though.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
This disconfirms it, most likely

CT wouldn't even be able to upload it if it's legit.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
So thoughts on my prediction/dream roster on the future roster including DLC and the stages as well

It has 3 pre ballot characters and 3 ballot characters. Can you guess the ballot choices

Empty Roster.png

Also, hi @ Warchamp7 Warchamp7 when are you gonna update that 3DS roster maker

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Someone commented on my Shantae article saying that she "was too scantily clad for an E rated game."

Really?

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.jsp?home=1&releases=1&searchType=title&titleOrPublisher=Shantae and the Pirates Curse&platformsCriteria=Nintendo DS,Nintendo DSi,Nintendo 3DS

Shantae’s actual games are rated E for everybody, how hard is that to look up?

The way she dresses has nothing to do with her Smash chances. It's the fact that she's from a tiny, niche, third party series that's the problem.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
So thoughts on my prediction/dream roster on the future roster including DLC and the stages as well

It has 3 pre ballot characters and 3 ballot characters. Can you guess the ballot choices

View attachment 68627

king k. rool, isaac, snake, impa, wolf, Dixie kong?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

View attachment 68627

10/10 would bang again.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'm reading this great article about trigger warnings, and the dangers of indulging them.

Quotes in the spoiler (Note emphasis and colored text are mine. I highly encourage you to read the full article. Also, I chopped several paragraphs together):
There’s a saying common in education circles: Don’t teach students what to think; teach them how to think. The idea goes back at least as far as Socrates. Today, what we call the Socratic method is a way of teaching that fosters critical thinking, in part by encouraging students to question their own unexamined beliefs, as well as the received wisdom of those around them. Such questioning sometimes leads to discomfort, and even to anger, on the way to understanding.

But vindictive protectiveness teaches students to think in a very different way. It prepares them poorly for professional life, which often demands intellectual engagement with people and ideas one might find uncongenial or wrong. The harm may be more immediate, too. A campus culture devoted to policing speech and punishing speakers is likely to engender patterns of thought that are surprisingly similar to those long identified by cognitive behavioral therapists as causes of depression and anxiety. The new protectiveness may be teaching students to think pathologically.

So it’s not hard to imagine why students arriving on campus today might be more desirous of protection and more hostile toward ideological opponents than in generations past. This hostility, and the self-righteousness fueled by strong partisan emotions, can be expected to add force to any moral crusade. A principle of moral psychology is that “morality binds and blinds.” Part of what we do when we make moral judgments is express allegiance to a team. But that can interfere with our ability to think critically. Acknowledging that the other side’s viewpoint has any merit is risky—your teammates may see you as a traitor.

Burns defines emotional reasoning as assuming “that your negative emotions necessarily reflect the way things really are: ‘I feel it, therefore it must be true.’ ” Leahy, Holland, and McGinn define it as letting “your feelings guide your interpretation of reality.” But, of course, subjective feelings are not always trustworthy guides; unrestrained, they can cause people to lash out at others who have done nothing wrong. Therapy often involves talking yourself down from the idea that each of your emotional responses represents something true or important.

Emotional reasoning dominates many campus debates and discussions. A claim that someone’s words are “offensive” is not just an expression of one’s own subjective feeling of offendedness. It is, rather, a public charge that the speaker has done something objectively wrong. It is a demand that the speaker apologize or be punished by some authority for committing an offense.

Because there is a broad ban in academic circles on “blaming the victim,” it is generally considered unacceptable to question the reasonableness (let alone the sincerity) of someone’s emotional state, particularly if those emotions are linked to one’s group identity. The thin argument “I’m offended” becomes an unbeatable trump card. This leads to what Jonathan Rauch, a contributing editor at this magazine, calls the “offendedness sweepstakes,” in which opposing parties use claims of offense as cudgels. In the process, the bar for what we consider unacceptable speech is lowered further and further.

If our universities are teaching students that their emotions can be used effectively as weapons—or at least as evidence in administrative proceedings—then they are teaching students to nurture a kind of hypersensitivity that will lead them into countless drawn-out conflicts in college and beyond. Schools may be training students in thinking styles that will damage their careers and friendships, along with their mental health.

Students who call for trigger warnings may be correct that some of their peers are harboring memories of trauma that could be reactivated by course readings. But they are wrong to try to prevent such reactivations. Students with PTSD should of course get treatment, but they should not try to avoid normal life, with its many opportunities for habituation. Classroom discussions are safe places to be exposed to incidental reminders of trauma (such as the word violate). A discussion of violence is unlikely to be followed by actual violence, so it is a good way to help students change the associations that are causing them discomfort. And they’d better get their habituation done in college, because the world beyond college will be far less willing to accommodate requests for trigger warnings and opt-outs.

It's a long read, but I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
So I played my first 3-4 hours of Xenoblade today.

It's so fricken good. I'm so excited to keep going. And for Xenoblade X.

Dem Wii graphix tho. Who cares when the game is so fun.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
So I played my first 3-4 hours of Xenoblade today.

It's so fricken good. I'm so excited to keep going. And for Xenoblade X.

Dem Wii graphix tho. Who cares when the game is so fun.
Word of warning: There's a particular side activity that get's really annoying at certain points because you need to find various items and 2 of them are extremely rare items. You need 2 of each of them for that activity and 1 each for the collectopedia.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

Should you Watch Leaks?

(Highly relevant for us)

I'm trying to start a conversation. Maybe the time zones are just off :p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Should you Watch Leaks?

(Highly relevant for us)

I'm trying to start a conversation. Maybe the time zones are just off :p
Something about that PBS guy rubs me the wrong way. Not sure what it is.

Khoru

Smash Champion
I'm reading this great article about trigger warnings, and the dangers of indulging them.

Quotes in the spoiler (Note emphasis and colored text are mine. I highly encourage you to read the full article. Also, I chopped several paragraphs together):
There’s a saying common in education circles: Don’t teach students what to think; teach them how to think. The idea goes back at least as far as Socrates. Today, what we call the Socratic method is a way of teaching that fosters critical thinking, in part by encouraging students to question their own unexamined beliefs, as well as the received wisdom of those around them. Such questioning sometimes leads to discomfort, and even to anger, on the way to understanding.

But vindictive protectiveness teaches students to think in a very different way. It prepares them poorly for professional life, which often demands intellectual engagement with people and ideas one might find uncongenial or wrong. The harm may be more immediate, too. A campus culture devoted to policing speech and punishing speakers is likely to engender patterns of thought that are surprisingly similar to those long identified by cognitive behavioral therapists as causes of depression and anxiety. The new protectiveness may be teaching students to think pathologically.

So it’s not hard to imagine why students arriving on campus today might be more desirous of protection and more hostile toward ideological opponents than in generations past. This hostility, and the self-righteousness fueled by strong partisan emotions, can be expected to add force to any moral crusade. A principle of moral psychology is that “morality binds and blinds.” Part of what we do when we make moral judgments is express allegiance to a team. But that can interfere with our ability to think critically. Acknowledging that the other side’s viewpoint has any merit is risky—your teammates may see you as a traitor.

Burns defines emotional reasoning as assuming “that your negative emotions necessarily reflect the way things really are: ‘I feel it, therefore it must be true.’ ” Leahy, Holland, and McGinn define it as letting “your feelings guide your interpretation of reality.” But, of course, subjective feelings are not always trustworthy guides; unrestrained, they can cause people to lash out at others who have done nothing wrong. Therapy often involves talking yourself down from the idea that each of your emotional responses represents something true or important.

Emotional reasoning dominates many campus debates and discussions. A claim that someone’s words are “offensive” is not just an expression of one’s own subjective feeling of offendedness. It is, rather, a public charge that the speaker has done something objectively wrong. It is a demand that the speaker apologize or be punished by some authority for committing an offense.

Because there is a broad ban in academic circles on “blaming the victim,” it is generally considered unacceptable to question the reasonableness (let alone the sincerity) of someone’s emotional state, particularly if those emotions are linked to one’s group identity. The thin argument “I’m offended” becomes an unbeatable trump card. This leads to what Jonathan Rauch, a contributing editor at this magazine, calls the “offendedness sweepstakes,” in which opposing parties use claims of offense as cudgels. In the process, the bar for what we consider unacceptable speech is lowered further and further.

If our universities are teaching students that their emotions can be used effectively as weapons—or at least as evidence in administrative proceedings—then they are teaching students to nurture a kind of hypersensitivity that will lead them into countless drawn-out conflicts in college and beyond. Schools may be training students in thinking styles that will damage their careers and friendships, along with their mental health.

Students who call for trigger warnings may be correct that some of their peers are harboring memories of trauma that could be reactivated by course readings. But they are wrong to try to prevent such reactivations. Students with PTSD should of course get treatment, but they should not try to avoid normal life, with its many opportunities for habituation. Classroom discussions are safe places to be exposed to incidental reminders of trauma (such as the word violate). A discussion of violence is unlikely to be followed by actual violence, so it is a good way to help students change the associations that are causing them discomfort. And they’d better get their habituation done in college, because the world beyond college will be far less willing to accommodate requests for trigger warnings and opt-outs.

It's a long read, but I highly recommend it.
i do think there are definitely instances of overcoddling. for example, there are tumblr users with massive lists of qualifiers for following. i've seen ships they don't like on there. (i don't particularly enjoy this thread's demonization of the site though, because there are at least decent portions)
i still think trigger warnings - for major things, like ****, alcoholism, etc. - should be a thing, at least in such a setting. they shouldn't be allowed to opt out (except perhaps in extreme situations), but there should be an up-front disclaimer that "hey, i'm talking about a really sensitive subject!"
basically the article seems to say that they're never okay and i have a more moderate view on them

D

Deleted member

Warning Received: Censor Dodging
i do think there are definitely instances of overcoddling. for example, there are tumblr users with massive lists of qualifiers for following. i've seen ships they don't like on there. (i don't particularly enjoy this thread's demonization of the site though, because there are at least decent portions)
i still think trigger warnings - for major things, like ****, alcoholism, etc. - should be a thing, at least in such a setting. they shouldn't be allowed to opt out (except perhaps in extreme situations), but there should be an up-front disclaimer that "hey, i'm talking about a really sensitive subject!"
basically the article seems to say that they're never okay and i have a more moderate view on them
I'm trying to give Tumblr a chance because it's the only place I've seen that has an EO fanbase and it sometimes has gems like this

Edited by PushDustIn. No censor dodging!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
He said 'Fact is, I don't like Lucina' as an argument
It's an assumption that it was as an argument, though. It was less so a rebuttal and more so a standalone remark, given the context.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
In a real world setting, IE not the internet, you can't just shut down if someone brings up a subject that you don't agree with or makes you feel uncomfortable. It's just not the way things work, and you will never be able to work with people with differing opinions if that's the case. On the internet? That's a whole different animal.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wait. I've played every FE game on the eshop and Awakening. My laptop's the slowest piece of **** around and my GC and Wii don't work well. Unless I pay 170 euros or something, I'm out of FE games to play. ****
Have you played them all on "I hate my life and the lives of my commrades" difficulties? Gotta get dem sweet bragging rights.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Please remember: SWF does not allow swearing in any form. Using pictures that contain swear words is considered censor dodging, and I must remove it. Please be careful so the other moderators and I do not have to give out infractions in the future.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Please remember: SWF does not allow swearing in any form. Using pictures that contain swear words is considered censor dodging, and I must remove it. Please be careful so the other moderators and I do not have to give out infractions in the future.
Why do you think I hardly ever use gifs with Trevor :gova:
The Man swears like a Sailor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom